Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #126
Sam
Im Always Around

Default Re: Antje Traue IS Faora in The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Ugh, yet another Kryptonian villain. I thought Superman was the last Kyrptonian.
I can see you never read any Superman comic book.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #127
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Superman hasn't been the last Kryptonian for decades.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #128
STC
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
it all depends on the circumstances of the story. if Zod tracks Kal-El's signal to Earth then, yes Superman would be the reason why Earth is in trouble.......
Earth One anyone?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #129
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
I like Ursa, there's nothing wrong with Ursa. Faora, by far is a better choice; but, there's nothing wrong with Ursa.
Okay.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #130
BigA
Side-Kick

My favorite pic of her so far.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #131
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
But we're not guaranteed the same Zod from Supes II, that's why I really look forward to Shannon's portrayal of the character.

True, it's just that I didn't want Supes to go against an enemy that didn't share his every power.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 04-28-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #132
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

Well, for some reason, Variety seems to think that Faora is based on the second version of the character:

That said, it's more likely that Traue will be playing the version of Faora that debuted in Action Comics #779 as a Pokolistanian aide of General Zod. That character was an orphan metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds, which allowed her to create a mutagenic virus that served as the linchpin of Zod's plan.

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, but they might be right. I'm thinking that the Faora in the film will be a Kryptonian, but perhaps she'll have the powers listed above. Maybe a yellow sun affects different Kryptonians in different ways in this film. Or maybe her genetic makeup changed in the Phantom Zone and it gives her unique abilities.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #133
echostation
Banned User

The whole idea of Zod and Faora is just lazy and dumb. This is the best Nolan, Goyer and Zach could come up with? Bloody stupid retreads...

There are tons of other excellent villains that could have used. I pray for the day when a full actual proper Superman film will actually feature the most obvious choice for a villain, Brainiac...

Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #134
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

But... but... Zod is soooooooooooo popular...

Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #135
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Yeah she looks okay I guess. Not the hot, fierce Diane Kruger type I was expecting though.

Too bad she's not hot; I won't mind seeing Cavill punch her in the face!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #136
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
The whole idea of Zod and Faora is just lazy and dumb. This is the best Nolan, Goyer and Zach could come up with? Bloody stupid retreads...

There are tons of other excellent villains that could have used. I pray for the day when a full actual proper Superman film will actually feature the most obvious choice for a villain, Brainiac...
i wish people would stop and think why Zod and co. works better than Brainiac for an ORIGIN FILM before they make these types of posts.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #137
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Exactly. Why would you want to go THAT big right out of the gate? Zod and co. is a good place to start.

If anyone should get in any blame, point to the people who've made the last five films. In five films, all they gave us was Zod and Lex. Blame them for giving us next to nothing over the course of five films.

H.E.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #138
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

By the same token, you could argue that Ra's al Ghul is too big of a villain for a Batman origin.

And Zod isn't essential to Superman's origin, at least not in all versions. I don't mind them tying him in with it... just saying that he doesn't have to be.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #139
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I dont quite see how you could equate Ra's to Brainiac...

And I never said Zod was essential, I just said it was a good place to start.

H.E.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #140
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
By the same token, you could argue that Ra's al Ghul is too big of a villain for a Batman origin.
you COULD, but at the same time Wayne running away and joining the League of Shadows served Batman's origins well. he also got many of his own tactics from Ra's and the League, which aided him in taking them down. depending on how they would approach Brainiac, however, Clark might not even know about Brainiac...or if he does he'd have limited information. you think Bruce Wayne would be able to take on Ra's without having been directly involved with the League and their grand plan for Gotham?

Quote:
And Zod isn't essential to Superman's origin, at least not in all versions. I don't mind them tying him in with it... just saying that he doesn't have to be.
no, he doesn't HAVE to be...but then we're either stuck with an overwhelming force (Brainiac) or an underwhelming force (Lex), and we all know we don't want Lex to be the only villain again. Zod might not be the most passionate choice of a villain for this film, but he IS the most logical one baring in mind the challenges this film faces and the story they're trying to tell.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #141
MoonChild
Newbie First Class

Ok, first of all, as someone who has been reading Superman comics for over 35 years, she totally embodies the face of Faora for me, and I can't wait to see how it plays out in the film.

Now for the larger issue of villains in the film. The villains you choose are dependent on what themes the narrative will explore, and if Earth is having a hard time accepting Superman for being an alien, then these villain choices serve to highlight this, and bring the drama to the fore. And yes it does present a clear metaphor for Kal-EL choosing Earth as his home.

And as someone who saw the original in theatres in 1978, I can tell you I am very excited about this film, and I haven't heard anything yet to diminish that.

Even Snyder's trademark slow motion could serve a meaningful purpose in a film where characters move faster then the human eye can follow.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #142
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

It has been stated a couple of times now that the movie will be dealing with Kryptonian mythology. Zod and co. fit that perfectly, if that is the case. Brainiac could still be in it for all we know. Or, at least, be set up for a possible sequel.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #143
Binker
Side-Kick

So with Zod and Faora cast in the film, I wonder who other villains are yet to be, or will be, cast. I still wonder if Brainiac will be in the film, just as much as if Lex will be in the film (as he's rumored but after these two, its a 50/50), or Brainiac, or anyone else.

Also, has anyone realized that right now the film's villains have a balance of old and new from the previous film franchise? Despite Faora being similar to Ursa, of course.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #144
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I'd like to see him doing both. Embracing Earth as his new home while at the same time wondering what his home world was like. Maybe Zod would lie to him about what Krypton was like and Superman would learn the truth somehow. A recording from Jor-El perhaps?
I'd like for Superman to learn bits of the true Krypton from the tablet Lara leaves in the rocket (like in Birthright), then experience it for himself in the sequel when he enters Kandor on board Brainiac's ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
It would still be better if Superman first solved other crises.
I do agree with this. Best scenario is Lex himself breaks them out of the Phantom Zone and also uses the fact that he can somehow send them back to control them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Well, for some reason, Variety seems to think that Faora is based on the second version of the character:

That said, it's more likely that Traue will be playing the version of Faora that debuted in Action Comics #779 as a Pokolistanian aide of General Zod. That character was an orphan metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds, which allowed her to create a mutagenic virus that served as the linchpin of Zod's plan.

Not sure how they came to that conclusion, but they might be right. I'm thinking that the Faora in the film will be a Kryptonian, but perhaps she'll have the powers listed above. Maybe a yellow sun affects different Kryptonians in different ways in this film. Or maybe her genetic makeup changed in the Phantom Zone and it gives her unique abilities.
Russian Zod and Faora was total fail, as most faux Kryptonians have been, but your ideas about the yellow sun or the PZ changing their powers are pretty good, actually.

I do think especially since the actress is German they might want to skip the whole concentration camp bit. She can still be a heartless psycho succubus who lures men to their deaths without it.

As for her accent, she seemed to use English in Pandorum with no accent, although I do like her voice. She's a heck of a good fit for the part.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 04-28-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #145
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
It has been stated a couple of times now that the movie will be dealing with Kryptonian mythology. Zod and co. fit that perfectly, if that is the case. Brainiac could still be in it for all we know. Or, at least, be set up for a possible sequel.
Since they are already using the rumored title from the SR never made sequel, why not borrow some of the story too?
We know that the sequel was going to involve the arrival of a Kryptonian, who would eventually be revealed to be Brainiac in disguise.
So maybe Zod or Faora is actually Brainiac.
Maybe Brainiac is orchestrating the whole invasion thingy and comes to earth to capture Clark....shades of Superman: Earth One here.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #146
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post

I'm glad she's gotta so much approval.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #147
echostation
Banned User

Brainiac can work even better if done right with Kryptonian mythology, been shown time and time again in the Superman cartoon series. Especially with all the knowledge he has of the planet - I can't remember the exact episodes involved but the way Brainiac tries to entice Superman to help him "recreate" Krypton work far far better than a piss boring villain like Zod.

The other aspect that most are forgetting is that this is WB's LAST Superman film... period end of story. There is NO other WB Superman film after this because they won't have the rights after a few years. So what the hell does it matter if it's an origin film. If a studio is going to do a huge film which will be the LAST chance it can get bloody right, why not get it right from the get go. Again, dozens of other much better villains to choose from namely Brainiac and they frankly screwed the pootch on this. Ever since the announcement of Zodamn stupid as the villain my excitement for this film has dropped dramatically.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #148
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post

Getting a Sharon Stone vibe there...

Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #149
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Brainiac can work even better if done right with Kryptonian mythology, been shown time and time again in the Superman cartoon series. Especially with all the knowledge he has of the planet - I can't remember the exact episodes involved but the way Brainiac tries to entice Superman to help him "recreate" Krypton work far far better than a piss boring villain like Zod.
That TAS Brainiac, although a good version, is not the Brainiac from the comics. My favorite version is the one Geoff Johns wrote. That one is too big for an origin movie. They could show him stealing Kandor, though.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #150
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

I'm surprised that WB cast an unknown actress for the role of Faora but maybe they're going for talent instead of recognizable actress. I haven't seen Antje in anything but I'm all for the choice because I have complete trust in WB.

Closed Thread