The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #101
Aesculapius
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bendis & Hitch bring about 'The Age of Ultron'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
A film that doesn't necessarily star Hank Pym, last I heard.
I haven't been following the production closely. Is there some "hint" "hint"ing that I have missed? Short of that, there is really no reason to believe that Ant Man wouldn't be Hank Pym, so I am inclined to agree with Hawkingbird. I guess if they did want to use another character as Ant Man, it would make sense to remove Hank from the role proactively, though.

Aesculapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #102
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Making him a villain would be as stupid as when they made Wonder Man a villain.

Marvel already kind of tried making Hank Pym a villain anyway. Marvel also sort of killed off Wasp, Black Goliath, Eric O'Grady and Scott Lang in the last ten years. Killing off Pym as well would be overkill.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #103
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I've always heard people say that Bendis hates Hank Pym. Has he ever stated this? I don't recall every hearing it from him, only people who assume he hates Pym due to his supposed bad treatment of the character, which I don't get because he's never treated the character badly.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #104
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I've always heard people say that Bendis hates Hank Pym. Has he ever stated this? I don't recall every hearing it from him, only people who assume he hates Pym due to his supposed bad treatment of the character, which I don't get because he's never treated the character badly.
I personally have not seen anything to suggest that Bendis explicitly hates the character. Conversely, making him a skrull during Secret Invasion could have actually been used to repair some of the damage done to Pym's rep in semi-recent years but no other authors seemed to want to use this easy out in "fixing" Hank. If anything, Bendis seems to have displayed an indifference to the character, much the same as with most of the classic Avengers, in favor of his pet-project characters.

Merging Ultron with Hank Pym/ making Hank a villain would be a terrible mistake. Hank has been on the road to redemption for quite a while now and is pretty hypocritically condemned by many readers and writers.

The merging of Hank and Ultron, as someone already said, is redundant as Ultron was revealed to be built upon Hank's rough brain patterns in Avengers (Volume 3) no. 19-22, written by Busiek less than 10 years ago. However, one of Bendis' biggest flaws is ignoring the work of prior writers so who knows how the AoU will end?

That said, I've actually been enjoying Age of Ultron. It kind of reminds me of a fresher, pre-Heroic Age, Bendis. It's a little slow but it may read well in trade. In any case, I'm a sucker for the post-apocalyptic genre and Ultron as a character.

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #105
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't know, if Hank somehow sacrefices himself to Ultron, which then turns Hank bad against his will... though it helps save some, or ultimately leads to Ultron's downfall but keeps Hank in his transformed villainous ways... I think that'd be cool. He basically went bad in a heroic fashion and got stuck that way. He'd still be a hero and we'd all wait with abated breath for the day when he can be unprogrammed and praised for his efforts.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #106
StreetWarrior

Quote:
I don't know, if Hank somehow sacrefices himself to Ultron, which then turns Hank bad against his will... though it helps save some, or ultimately leads to Ultron's downfall but keeps Hank in his transformed villainous ways... I think that'd be cool. He basically went bad in a heroic fashion and got stuck that way. He'd still be a hero and we'd all wait with abated breath for the day when he can be unprogrammed and praised for his efforts.
Maybe. It would be sort of poetic if he dies a hero - sacrificing himself to correct his biggest mistake. But, Marvel's been way to kill happy in the past decade. Comic death is meaningless now. I'd rather see Hank dead than a villain but we all know death and allegiances are fickel things in the 616. I think I finally understand why some X-Men fans were so angry about Cyclops in AvX.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #107
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
Merging Ultron with Hank Pym/ making Hank a villain would be a terrible mistake. Hank has been on the road to redemption for quite a while now and is pretty hypocritically condemned by many readers and writers.
This isn't aimed at you StreetWarrior but its just a point I wanted to talk about

I don't like the Hank Pym redemption talk that is still going on. The fall of Hank Pym which involved him going crazy, slapping Janet, being booted out the avengers and contemplating suicide was 30 years ago and the character has been redeemed twenty times over since then.

If Marvel ever want to salvage the character of Hank Pym stop letting every writer who uses him constantly trying to make him atone for a long resolved storyline would be a good place to start. If they aren't going to do that they may as well kill him off for good.

While I didn't like Hank taking Wasp's identitiy I did like that Dan Slott tried to move the character on and create new storylines instead of the same old stuff other writers do with the character.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #108
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Hitch, when the topic of whether its Superior or Petey said he drew it believing it to be Peter. Bendis on the same topic and when asked when the story takes place he replied that it takes place in Marvel NOW continuity

Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #109
OrangeCloud
Side-Kick

It's nice that BW still takes the time to do her make-up and such.

OrangeCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #110
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
Hitch, when the topic of whether its Superior or Petey said he drew it believing it to be Peter. Bendis on the same topic and when asked when the story takes place he replied that it takes place in Marvel NOW continuity
Bendis mentioned in interviews that he had to go back and make changes to the script to keep it relevant with the current continuity. That tells me that Hitch drew the book off of the original script and the wording we get may be updated from what he read.

But then, Superior isn't really coming through in Bendis' writing... which I'm happy about, as I've mentioned before.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #111
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

I might actually pick of Age of Ultron after all, the foil cover had me slowly floating to it when I saw it in the store lol! I just started trying/deciding to pick up the Wrath of the First Lantern event over at the DC GL titles....crossover after crossover everywhere! AHHHH!!

I'll probably pick it up slowly so I might be a few issues behind when it ends but it seems really intriguing.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #112
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Here's the twist...ultron actually created Hank...

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #113
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
A film that doesn't necessarily star Hank Pym, last I heard.
...don't remind me .

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #114
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Issue 1 was lacklustre but issue 2 was freaking awesome and Hitch is 'finally' back to his best. Will buy the issues and the collected hardcover when it's done.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #115
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I felt issue one and two were alright. Both had their moments, but never really fully took off. They both felt quite short also, I think it would have read better if they had just combined these two issues into one.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #116
Snikt8
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I felt issue one and two were alright. Both had their moments, but never really fully took off. They both felt quite short also, I think it would have read better if they had just combined these two issues into one.
I agree, at least they are ending on issue #10 instead of drawing this out two more issues.....

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #117
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

SO this book is already making heroes villians once again...great job BMB

Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #118
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Hmm, in what way? Unless you mean Hawkeye and Moon Knight killing bad guys, and that's only strange for Hawkeye, but given the circumstances I can forgive it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #119
NinjinSteve
Side-Kick

So in Age of Ultron #3 it is said that:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Cyclops, Thor, Hulk, and The Thing are all dead.

But in Age of Ultron #1

The Thing is seen laying on a cot in the heroes' base under central park.

What gives? That's kind of a big mistake isn't it? Unless he wasn't "sleeping" there.

NinjinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #120
bored
One Sexy Lemur

He didn't wake up from that nap. Enlarged heart. Silent killer.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #121
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjinSteve View Post
So in Age of Ultron #3 it is said that:

Cyclops, Thor, Hulk, and The Thing are all dead.

But in Age of Ultron #1

The Thing is seen laying on a cot in the heroes' base under central park.

What gives? That's kind of a big mistake isn't it? Unless he wasn't "sleeping" there.
Unfortunately, that may have been his corpse on the cot. No one ever said he didn't get critically injured and brought to the hideout to pass on in the company of family and friends. No man left behind and all that - soldiers still try and recover the bodies of comrades killed in combat.

Of course, it could also be an artist error...

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #122
NinjinSteve
Side-Kick

His death was depicted in this week's Fantastic Four Age of Ultron tie-in. Doesn't look like anyone carried him back to the underground base but whatever. Ohhhhh comics.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #123
NinjinSteve
Side-Kick

Age of Ultron Issue # 5! The artist mistakes continue!

Is it just me or is Cap's group of survivors randomly fluctuating with characters? First the Thing was there then he was announced dead. Now, Beast was part of the group in the beginning but in issue 5 is nowhere to be found.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #124
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hmm, in what way? Unless you mean Hawkeye and Moon Knight killing bad guys, and that's only strange for Hawkeye, but given the circumstances I can forgive it.
vision

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #125
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
I personally have not seen anything to suggest that Bendis explicitly hates the character. Conversely, making him a skrull during Secret Invasion could have actually been used to repair some of the damage done to Pym's rep in semi-recent years but no other authors seemed to want to use this easy out in "fixing" Hank. If anything, Bendis seems to have displayed an indifference to the character, much the same as with most of the classic Avengers, in favor of his pet-project characters.

The merging of Hank and Ultron, as someone already said, is redundant as Ultron was revealed to be built upon Hank's rough brain patterns in Avengers (Volume 3) no. 19-22, written by Busiek less than 10 years ago. However, one of Bendis' biggest flaws is ignoring the work of prior writers so who knows how the AoU will end?
Indeed merging Ultron with Hank Pym/ making Hank a villain would be a terrible TERRIBLE mistake.

After reading these Age of Ultron decompressed and uneventfully books, I have to say that I'm longing to re-read the Ultron Unlimited Busiek arc again. Now THAT was an Ultron story done right, ending with Hank Pym being a true hero.

I honestly hate the way AoU has progressed and reading reaction on Facebook, I'm not alone. The time travel aspect means even the few things we've actually seen happen are meaningless. We know everything is going to be erased. So, seeing something happen to She-Hulk actually created a yawn, not a thrill. They should tap out of this bad concept and try and move on to something else quickly.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote