The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

View Poll Results: Which Marvel Studios movie is the best?
THOR 145 45.17%
THE INCREDIBLE HULK 18 5.61%
IRON MAN 145 45.17%
IRON MAN 2 13 4.05%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #276
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Thor the best Marvel Studios movie so far?

something i've noticed about fan reception trends, that is made only more apparent with the advent of forums is how time plays in views of a film.

as a new fan of mma and a visitor of those boards this trend is even more at work, for they consistently differ to rankings of which constantly change after one of their events, weather in favor or not in favor of a fighter as a whole, but based based on how hyped they are, or lack thereof coming off of their last/recent performance.

eg, if such and such wins a fight in 10 seconds via insane move last night, he's the greatest living fighter(of all time), and then a month later and in a someone else gets their ranking back for simply winning in a strong fashion...etc

long story short, I see people buzzing about Thor and having it mingle high on the "rankings" as it were but I can't help but wonder where it will be given 3 let alone 10 years of being out shinned by the new kid in town over and over.

I think if Spidey 2 just came out, it's be unanimously above and beyond highly ranked on this list, same with Xmen2. and so on.
Those weeks after X2 were insane on these boards...

The point, do you people think Thor will stand the test of time? Let alone the way Spidey 2 has?
Did it bring enough memorability and or spectacle and or whatever it takes to be considered one of the greatest 20 years later a la burtons batman to some? Or is this a result of it having been released literally 6 days ago and being a solid film?

To prove this point/theory, I can't wait to visit this very thread by the end of summer.
and Then again by next december.

Last edited by Marvin; 05-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #277
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
If you're referring to Ang Lee for the Hulk or Singer's Superman Returns for the "crappy superhero" films, I may agree.
Them and a few others right off the top of my head(Batman'89, BR, TDK, SM3).

Quote:
But I think the most memorable ones have some trace of humanity and artistic identity.
Hmm, not sure you need an auteur for that. To me, an auteur takes a film and makes it their own product. That can work if their style fits well with the property but many times it has clashed.

Quote:
Whether you like that artistic stamp or not is one thing, but Christopher Nolan's Batman films (particularly The Dark Knight), Tim Burton's Batman films and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 (the other two were more compromised, though still distinctly Raimi) have such personality that they stand out.
That's the thing, it tends to be a situation of "You need to like Director X's style in order to really get into this movie" rather than "If you're a fan of this property and it's made well then you should be ok with it". As I said, I've never gone to see a superhero film just because I like the director. A director I may like quite a bit may choose to do a property that I have no interest in and in such a case liking the director is going to count for exactly zilch since I'll have no interest in the movie(David Fincher & The Social Network is an excellent example of this for me).

And standing out(while somewhat desirable for any property) is not in and of itself a good thing. You want to stand out in a positive way because Lord knows there's been enough who stood out because of how bad or poorly understood they were by those who made them. And I'd say that all the MCU films stand out to one extent or another(so far).

Quote:
They look like filets compared to the pre-packaged fast food-vibe in Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. It was exactly those restrictions that frustrated Favreau off the Iron Man franchise to less confined pastures.
We really don't know why Favs left and blind speculation doesn't help. I have my own theories and they have nothing to do with him being constrained creatively. But again, it's all speculation. And I don't see where IM2 or TIH come off as fast food. When I think fast food superhero films, I think most of the FOX movies. Did they(IM2 & TIH) have problems? Yes. Were they enough to overcome the good in the films? I sure don't think so and from what I've heard I think the majority agree(not that I think majority opinion makes any arguement right in and of itself).

Quote:
I actually think Thor borders on being Branagh's film more than Marvel. Unlike TIH, IM2 or even IM1, it doesn't feel like it is really part of a franchise marketing machine other than the after-credits scene and a throwaway reference to Stark.
I think the reason many feel this way is because they already KNEW going into see any of the films that this was the plan. That changes the dynamic. If they'd never told us of it and kept their plan to themselves I think many critic's wouldn't have had their knee-jerk, artsy-fartsy loving, anti-consumerist reaction so pre-ordained. But Marvel DID tell us up front so we really should never have been suprised that a lot of cine'stas would just call each film but a cog in a big souless/artless corporate machine. But I'm buying neither that premise nor the conclusion.

Quote:
Otherwise you could just call SHIELD the FBI and it stands apart form the rest of the MCU. The best parts of the movie, the visionary scope and rich, opulent composition is certainly a credit to the director of Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing and not the studio the IM films and TIH. Also, the Freudian subtexts of the relationships between Odin and his two sons and how that affected each of them was the best part of the movie and felt very Branagh.

It isn't his entire movie though as it is saddled with a rather forced romance (romance is a good thing, but Thor loves Jane was shoehorned in) and some humor that reeked of desperation at times (most of Kat Denning's dialogue, though she is so good and Branagh so manic they make it work well enough). But it borders on being something wholly unique....just not quite there.
I find Thor to be in the same general level of goodness & quality as the other 3 MCU films.

Quote:
I see you dislike a strong cinematic hand
Only when it clashes with the property. Otherwise, I love having a good director on board.

Quote:
but to many it gives movies life that makes them stand apart from the Hollywood machine.
I'd say all the MCU films stand apart pretty well. You want Hollywood machine type film-making? Fast Five or Priest look like good examples.

Quote:
While the MCU films are a cut above most Hollywood efforts in this genre (Superman II--onwards, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine, etc. etc.) they are still a bit too confined by it, in my opinion.
I don't find it confining, especially when it's doing it's most important job of giving a helping hand to lesser known properties and increasing the chances of them becoming better known ones. Do I think that these are the pinnacle in film form that these properties can be? No. But you first need your foot in the door and the MCU is acting like one of those poles that gardeners stake into the ground and tie to newly planted trees. It's a helper and a brilliant idea at that IMO. And even that isn't all that it is useful for but even if it was that would more than justify it's existence.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #278
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Them and a few others right off the top of my head(Batman'89, BR, TDK, SM3).
I don't know if I would count SM3. While it had Raimi's personality, humor and style in it...that was it's saving grace to me. The whole storyline felt so manufactured and studio-mercandise driven that it wasn't really his movie.

Quote:
Hmm, not sure you need an auteur for that. To me, an auteur takes a film and makes it their own product. That can work if their style fits well with the property but many times it has clashed.
Perhaps, but a great filmmaker can make a film unique instead of part of an assembly line and indistinguishable over time from all the other products that come off of it.

Quote:
That's the thing, it tends to be a situation of "You need to like Director X's style in order to really get into this movie" rather than "If you're a fan of this property and it's made well then you should be ok with it". As I said, I've never gone to see a superhero film just because I like the director. A director I may like quite a bit may choose to do a property that I have no interest in and in such a case liking the director is going to count for exactly zilch since I'll have no interest in the movie(David Fincher & The Social Network is an excellent example of this for me).
Too bad. The Social Network is Fincher's best film to date.

Quote:
We really don't know why Favs left and blind speculation doesn't help. I have my own theories and they have nothing to do with him being constrained creatively. But again, it's all speculation. And I don't see where IM2 or TIH come off as fast food. When I think fast food superhero films, I think most of the FOX movies. Did they(IM2 & TIH) have problems? Yes. Were they enough to overcome the good in the films? I sure don't think so and from what I've heard I think the majority agree(not that I think majority opinion makes any arguement right in and of itself).
They come off as really well made fast food. The Wendy's of sueprhero movies.

But while they're better than the Fox films or most HOllywood action movies, if they don't have a soul or feel restrained, they're not living up to their full potential to be great movies. You may not like TDK, but it feels wholly original and iconic because it took so many risks. It's why people still talk about it unlike almost any other superhero film made to date, including those made by Marvel Studios.

Quote:
I think the reason many feel this way is because they already KNEW going into see any of the films that this was the plan. That changes the dynamic. If they'd never told us of it and kept their plan to themselves I think many critic's wouldn't have had their knee-jerk, artsy-fartsy loving, anti-consumerist reaction so pre-ordained. But Marvel DID tell us up front so we really should never have been suprised that a lot of cine'stas would just call each film but a cog in a big souless/artless corporate machine. But I'm buying neither that premise nor the conclusion.
No. I could tell IM2 felt disjointed and nothing but an unsatisfying commercial for movies to come. Thor had those elements, but they were organic and in the background. Thor was a stand-alone movie first that kept its "prequel to THE AVENGERS " thing on the margins.

Quote:
I find Thor to be in the same general level of goodness & quality as the other 3 MCU films.
I prefer Iron Man to Thor, but Thor felt had a grandeur and majesty to it that came from a director known for giving his films an operatic and manic quality. He also loves exploring characters' relationships, particularly of the familial quality. Unsurprisingly those were the most noticeable and positive qualities of Thor. It had a more articulated voice than the other films Marvel has made to date.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #279
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I would have to have one more viewing to confirm it, but for me, yes, Thor is the best Marvel STUDIO's movie to date, it wasnt quite as good as the likes of X2, or Spidey 2 though if we are talking Marvel characters, but the sequel to Thor very well could be!

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #280
J.Howlett

Thor's a very, very close second to the first Iron Man film, for Marvel Studios. For Marvel Films overall since 1998 with the introduction of Blade, it's definitely in the top ten, I think.

And this:

If you're referring to Ang Lee for the Hulk or Singer's Superman Returns for the "crappy superhero" films, I may agree. But I think the most memorable ones have some trace of humanity and artistic identity. Whether you like that artistic stamp or not is one thing, but Christopher Nolan's Batman films (particularly The Dark Knight), Tim Burton's Batman films and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 (the other two were more compromised, though still distinctly Raimi) have such personality that they stand out. They look like filets compared to the pre-packaged fast food-vibe in Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. It was exactly those restrictions that frustrated Favreau off the Iron Man franchise to less confined pastures.

I actually think Thor borders on being Branagh's film more than Marvel. Unlike TIH, IM2 or even IM1, it doesn't feel like it is really part of a franchise marketing machine other than the after-credits scene and a throwaway reference to Stark. Otherwise you could just call SHIELD the FBI and it stands apart form the rest of the MCU. The best parts of the movie, the visionary scope and rich, opulent composition is certainly a credit to the director of Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing and not the studio the IM films and TIH. Also, the Freudian subtexts of the relationships between Odin and his two sons and how that affected each of them was the best part of the movie and felt very Branagh.

It isn't his entire movie though as it is saddled with a rather forced romance (romance is a good thing, but Thor loves Jane was shoehorned in) and some humor that reeked of desperation at times (most of Kat Denning's dialogue, though she is so good and Branagh so manic they make it work well enough). But it borders on being something wholly unique....just not quite there.

I see you dislike a strong cinematic hand, but to many it gives movies life that makes them stand apart from the Hollywood machine. While the MCU films are a cut above most Hollywood efforts in this genre (Superman II--onwards, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine, etc. etc.) they are still a bit too confined by it, in my opinion.

WINNING!

Last edited by J.Howlett; 05-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #281
kirbyfan
Side-Kick

The best for me are...

Thor
Blade
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk

kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #282
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
The best for me are...

Thor
Blade
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Blade is not a Marvel Studios film....and Blade 2 was better than Blade. ;P

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #283
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

The Karate Kid
Rescuers Down Under
Hook
Thor

NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #284
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Thor's a very, very close second to the first Iron Man film, for Marvel Studios. For Marvel Films overall since 1998 with the introduction of Blade, it's definitely in the top ten, I think.

And this:

If you're referring to Ang Lee for the Hulk or Singer's Superman Returns for the "crappy superhero" films, I may agree. But I think the most memorable ones have some trace of humanity and artistic identity. Whether you like that artistic stamp or not is one thing, but Christopher Nolan's Batman films (particularly The Dark Knight), Tim Burton's Batman films and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 (the other two were more compromised, though still distinctly Raimi) have such personality that they stand out. They look like filets compared to the pre-packaged fast food-vibe in Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. It was exactly those restrictions that frustrated Favreau off the Iron Man franchise to less confined pastures.

I actually think Thor borders on being Branagh's film more than Marvel. Unlike TIH, IM2 or even IM1, it doesn't feel like it is really part of a franchise marketing machine other than the after-credits scene and a throwaway reference to Stark. Otherwise you could just call SHIELD the FBI and it stands apart form the rest of the MCU. The best parts of the movie, the visionary scope and rich, opulent composition is certainly a credit to the director of Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing and not the studio the IM films and TIH. Also, the Freudian subtexts of the relationships between Odin and his two sons and how that affected each of them was the best part of the movie and felt very Branagh.

I see you dislike a strong cinematic hand, but to many it gives movies life that makes them stand apart from the Hollywood machine. While the MCU films are a cut above most Hollywood efforts in this genre (Superman II--onwards, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine, etc. etc.) they are still a bit too confined by it, in my opinion.

WINNING!

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #285
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I think Ironman was the best Marvel movie, though I do wonder why X2 was on the list.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #286
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
DACROWE is right. There are movies that try to just be fun superhero movies, it aint deep, it aint complex, it aint art, it doesnt try to win Oscars, it's just popcorn fun stuff created to thrill and entertain you. Thor and the Iron Man movies are like that. But I love it when these comic book films try to be something more, try to push the boundaries of the genre, try to tell something important. The Dark Knight is like that. That's why it is my favorite comic book movie ever. It tries to be something more. I have a feeling X-Men 1st Class could be like that too.
The Dark Knight wasn't complex, deep, or art either. It was just as much of a popcorn movie as the rest of the summer blockbusters. This differs with Nolan's Inception--which was actually a deep summer blockbuster. TDK just happened to be well directed, had good acting performances, and themes that shaded a bit darker from most summer blockbusters. If anything--TDK wasn't even much of a superhero/comic movie. It was a crime/police drama with people wearing costumes. TDK feels much different from BB, which felt more like a superhero movie. Perhaps that is due to the main character being overshadowed by The Joker, the criminals of Gotham, the citizens of Gotham, Harvey Dent, and the Gotham Police Department. That's is my only real complaint about TDK. Well, that and the cult-like views the fanboys have over it as if TDK was the freaking Rosetta Stone of movies.

I just don't know what more people want from a movies like Thor, Iron Man I/II, or the Hulk. All of these movies were fun films to watch and had perfect blend of humor, action, uniqueness, good acting, drama, and excitement for future movies. The fact that they all fit together like one, big puzzle is just a side bonus. People need to stop being so stuffy, biased, hard to please and contrarian. Seriously, what do some of you people watch if you aren't watching Spider-Man 2? Which was a really good movie, but not as far ahead of everything as the Spider-Man cult (similar to the TDK cult) would have you believe. Thor is easily as good as Spider-Man 2.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #287
ssj wolverine
Plenty have tried pal!!

The first Ironman was the best Marvel movie of all time.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #288
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
The Dark Knight wasn't complex, deep, or art either. It was just as much of a popcorn movie as the rest of the summer blockbusters. This differs with Nolan's Inception--which was actually a deep summer blockbuster. TDK just happened to be well directed, had good acting performances, and themes that shaded a bit darker from most summer blockbusters. If anything--TDK wasn't even much of a superhero/comic movie. It was a crime/police drama with people wearing costumes. TDK feels much different from BB, which felt more like a superhero movie. Perhaps that is due to the main character being overshadowed by The Joker, the criminals of Gotham, the citizens of Gotham, Harvey Dent, and the Gotham Police Department. That's is my only real complaint about TDK. Well, that and the cult-like views the fanboys have over it as if TDK was the freaking Rosetta Stone of movies.

I just don't know what more people want from a movies like Thor, Iron Man I/II, or the Hulk. All of these movies were fun films to watch and had perfect blend of humor, action, uniqueness, good acting, drama, and excitement for future movies. The fact that they all fit together like one, big puzzle is just a side bonus. People need to stop being so stuffy, biased, hard to please and contrarian. Seriously, what do some of you people watch if you aren't watching Spider-Man 2? Which was a really good movie, but not as far ahead of everything as the Spider-Man cult (similar to the TDK cult) would have you believe. Thor is easily as good as Spider-Man 2.
This x100

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #289
DarknessOfDeath
Shut up and kiss me!

I chose thor but I still like the other films.

The Adrianne Palicki Thread
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #290
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj wolverine View Post
The first Ironman was the best Marvel movie of all time.
I agree. I'd say it's the best superhero movie ever made(so far). The other MCU films(including IM2) aren't quite to it's level but even coming up short they're still all pretty good. Other superhero films that I think make it into this range would be Superman1, Batman Begins, The Incredibles, Unbreakable, Spider-Man 2, X2, Blade, The Rocketeer. Those to me are the only ones that really hold up as being really good(or at least having enough good to outweigh what's bad in them...which many of them do still have).

Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #291
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
something i've noticed about fan reception trends, that is made only more apparent with the advent of forums is how time plays in views of a film.

as a new fan of mma and a visitor of those boards this trend is even more at work, for they consistently differ to rankings of which constantly change after one of their events, weather in favor or not in favor of a fighter as a whole, but based based on how hyped they are, or lack thereof coming off of their last/recent performance.

eg, if such and such wins a fight in 10 seconds via insane move last night, he's the greatest living fighter(of all time), and then a month later and in a someone else gets their ranking back for simply winning in a strong fashion...etc

long story short, I see people buzzing about Thor and having it mingle high on the "rankings" as it were but I can't help but wonder where it will be given 3 let alone 10 years of being out shinned by the new kid in town over and over.

I think if Spidey 2 just came out, it's be unanimously above and beyond highly ranked on this list, same with Xmen2. and so on.
Those weeks after X2 were insane on these boards...

The point, do you people think Thor will stand the test of time? Let alone the way Spidey 2 has?
Did it bring enough memorability and or spectacle and or whatever it takes to be considered one of the greatest 20 years later a la burtons batman to some? Or is this a result of it having been released literally 6 days ago and being a solid film?

To prove this point/theory, I can't wait to visit this very thread by the end of summer.
and Then again by next december.

I think it will get better with age for me because of the performances. Sure people are enamored with the current thing moreso, thats always true. I've seen Thor 3 times and it was better every time I watched it though.

Its going to be hard to ever truly top the Batman/Spiderman/Superman/X-Men movies because they all came at a time where we fans were still starved to see our favorite heroes on the big screen. It was a feast after a famine, which always tastes better. Thats not even mentioning they have always been more popular than most other properties anyway.

We are inundated with comic films now, not that i'm complaining, i'm loving it. Its a different era now and they just don't stick out as much in our mind as they did.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #292
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
I think it will get better with age for me because of the performances. Sure people are enamored with the current thing moreso, thats always true. I've seen Thor 3 times and it was better every time I watched it though.

Its going to be hard to ever truly top the Batman/Spiderman/Superman/X-Men movies because they all came at a time where we fans were still starved to see our favorite heroes on the big screen. It was a feast after a famine, which always tastes better. Thats not even mentioning they have always been more popular than most other properties anyway.

We are inundated with comic films now, not that i'm complaining, i'm loving it. Its a different era now and they just don't stick out as much in our mind as they did.
There's truth in this. There's also the nostilgia factor to consider, especially with the widely varying ages of people on this board.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #293
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
There's truth in this. There's also the nostilgia factor to consider, especially with the widely varying ages of people on this board.

The kids that came up with the X-Men/Spiderman/Nolan movies are spoiled and never had to suffer through the arid desert of good comic movies that came before it. Before X-Men there was pretty much the Donner movies and Burtons Batman. Thats it. Not to mention suffering through the 90' Cap movie, the old school Punisher(which wasn't THAT bad), FF, etc.

You could also throw Blade in there but I don't really consider it in the "superhero" genre, even though its a comic book.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #294
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
The kids that came up with the X-Men/Spiderman/Nolan movies are spoiled and never had to suffer through the arid desert of good comic movies that came before it. Before X-Men there was pretty much the Donner movies and Burtons Batman. Thats it. Not to mention suffering through the 90' Cap movie, the old school Punisher(which wasn't THAT bad), FF, etc.

You could also throw Blade in there but I don't really consider it in the "superhero" genre, even though its a comic book.
Hard for me to put myself in the mindset of someone so young that basically everything relating to this genre began in 2000.

I was there in 1978 to see Superman: The Movie. It was only the second film I had ever seen(Star wars the year earlier being the first). I have absolutely no recollection of seeing either of those films since i was only 2 & 3 when I saw them(I remember seeing them on TV a few years later more than anything) and at the same time TV was getting me hooked on The Incredible Hulk. Again, no initial recollection since I was just a toddler. But my parents told me that they were suprised when they took me to see them that I didn't fall asleep like they expected but stayed awake and watching the screen through the movies. Obviously I didn't really understand what they were all about at that age but regardless I've been a superhero-on-film genre fan ever since. I remember seeing all the Superman sequels in theaters, and the Rocketeer, and all the Batman movies, even Supergirl. Now I enjoyed most of these when I first saw them but now as I've aged only two still hold up for me and the rest I don't much care for as whole films. Most have good memorable set pieces to them but that's different.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #295
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

Quote:

This x 2...The Dark Knight is serially overrated.

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #296
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
This x 2...The Dark Knight is serially overrated.
Plus it pulls some shenanigans that no other superhero film would be allowed to get away with.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #297
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Hard for me to put myself in the mindset of someone so young that basically everything relating to this genre began in 2000.

I was there in 1978 to see Superman: The Movie. It was only the second film I had ever seen(Star wars the year earlier being the first). I have absolutely no recollection of seeing either of those films since i was only 2 & 3 when I saw them(I remember seeing them on TV a few years later more than anything) and at the same time TV was getting me hooked on The Incredible Hulk. Again, no initial recollection since I was just a toddler. But my parents told me that they were suprised when they took me to see them that I didn't fall asleep like they expected but stayed awake and watching the screen through the movies. Obviously I didn't really understand what they were all about at that age but regardless I've been a superhero-on-film genre fan ever since. I remember seeing all the Superman sequels in theaters, and the Rocketeer, and all the Batman movies, even Supergirl. Now I enjoyed most of these when I first saw them but now as I've aged only two still hold up for me and the rest I don't much care for as whole films. Most have good memorable set pieces to them but that's different.

Agreed. I was born in 78 but I loved the Hulk and Spiderman 70's series and the Donner movies in the early 80's when I first watched them. X-Men comics grabbed me in the mid 80's as well.

The good adaptions were VERY few and far between. Almost non-existent.

People who scoff at a good translation like Thor with a "meh", I don't get.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #298
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I'd say it's only behind Chris Nolan's Batman movies as my favourite Superhero film of all time!

I will gather my thoughts more when i've watched it a second time, but for now i'll just say - It had everything, in exactly the right style and amounts that a film should. It made me laugh out loud, it had me in awe of the beauty of Azgard, it had me really grow to connect with the characters, and it had all those fanteasing hints at Avengers. I Loved it!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #299
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
That's funny, I felt the opposite. Inception wasn't deep at all, just a good blockbuster with nice atmosphere. TDK on the other hand was a masterpiece within the genre. It was extremely well directed.

Quote:
I don't think lowering standards is the solution. Everyone should be free to be as demanding with a superhero movie as they feel.

Man, you say people need to stop being contrarian and yet you go against majority saying that movies like TDK or SM2 weren't that good. Do people need to change according to anyone's personal standards? Or they just need to accept negative opinions and/or opinions that differ from their own?

Last edited by El Payaso; 05-14-2011 at 05:26 PM.
El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #300
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Dark Knight wasn't complex, deep, or art either. It was just as much of a popcorn movie as the rest of the summer blockbusters.
If you're comparing it to something like 2001: A Space Odyssey or Apocalypse Now, I'd agree it is not very complex or deep. But compared to most summer blockbusters and every single superhero movie....yeah, it is. And it is clearly bordering on that subjective term, "art." It deals with social decay, justice versus order and philosophically contemplates truth vs. the state, the level one is willing to sacrifice their ideals for order and the "War on Terror's" abuse of human rights.

Quote:
Thor is easily as good as Spider-Man 2.
I know this is all subjective, but it's really not. Neither film (though I've only seen Thor once) holds a ton of rewatch value. However, SM2's strength is it is entirely wrapped around Peter Parker's journey of self-discovery and soul searching. The entire film has an epic feel to it solely based on how much Raimi and Maguire can get the audience to invest in this character. Despite being comedic and slapstick at times (not to mention about a guy in blue and red tights who altruistically fights crime with superpowers), it is grounded in a level of character believability that actually makes dramatic elements involving.--i.e. the love story feels like a crucial part of the narrative and not a variable in a formula, Doc Ock's character arc feels, Harry loses his soul to the darkside in a series of great scenes, etc.. It is just a meatier film that goes a good 20+ minutes without an action sequence or a ton of comic relief from an MTV character dropping words like "Facebook," "Youtube," and "iPod" every 5 minutes to look hip and current.

The greatest way I can phrase this, when you first watched SM2, what was the feeling you got when he finally got his powers back and went back into action? When he stopped the runaway train in a Christ-like pose? When Doc Ock committed suicide so Peter could live? When Peter got the finally girl at the end? Now, were you really upset that Thor and Jane were not together at the end? Did you really care that Loki tried to kill himself? Do you care if you see any of the non-Asgard characters again in a sequel? That is why SM2 is better.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 05-15-2011 at 01:22 AM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote