The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

View Poll Results: Which Marvel Studios movie is the best?
THOR 145 45.17%
THE INCREDIBLE HULK 18 5.61%
IRON MAN 145 45.17%
IRON MAN 2 13 4.05%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #326
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: Is Thor the best Marvel Studios movie so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
That might be, but some people actually think TDK,SM2, and X2 aren't as good as people think.

I think SM2 and TDK are great films, but I'm not all that crazy for X2.
To be honest I never got all the acclaim for any of the X-men films, although I will concede X2 being easily the best of the bunch, with one of the best opening sequences still to this day.

But I feel if any franchise would benefit from a reboot, it's X-men, which is why I'm extremely excited for First Class. Even though it's supposedly the same continuity, it seems to finally be focusing at least partially on the team a bit more and not Wolverine. I love Logan, he's a great character, but all 3 previous X-men movies were really focused on me to a fault, and they still gave him a solo film with another on the way, but I digress....

IM is still tops for me for Marvel flicks, I'd put IH slightly above Thor with IM2 being the weakest of the lot by a country mile

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #327
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
To be honest I never got all the acclaim for any of the X-men films, although I will concede X2 being easily the best of the bunch, with one of the best opening sequences still to this day.

But I feel if any franchise would benefit from a reboot, it's X-men, which is why I'm extremely excited for First Class. Even though it's supposedly the same continuity, it seems to finally be focusing at least partially on the team a bit more and not Wolverine. I love Logan, he's a great character, but all 3 previous X-men movies were really focused on me to a fault, and they still gave him a solo film with another on the way, but I digress....

IM is still tops for me for Marvel flicks, I'd put IH slightly above Thor with IM2 being the weakest of the lot by a country mile
Yeah X2 is definately the best of the bunch, but I don't see how it's regarded as being on Spider-Man 2's level (but that's just me).

Thor is tops for me, then comes Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2 in that order.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #328
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

I LOVE Spider-man 2 and X2. But not so much with TDK. It's a very good movie, but Batman Begins was much better.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #329
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^^^ Yeah, I like Batman Begins more than TDK as well.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #330
mclay18
Side-Kick

I honestly can't pick right now. Thor is the most rewatchable film, as opposed to the Iron Man films (which are good for the occasional repeat viewing). I have a feeling Captain America and The Avengers will end up tying for first place.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #331
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I think CA will fall right behind Iron Man as my third favorite Marvel film, I don't think I'm gonna compare The Avengers to the rest of their films because it doesn't seem fair.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #332
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I think I need to watch Iron Man and Thor back to back before I can decide.

They're so damn close in quality. lol.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #333
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

For me, the main reason I prefer Thor was that I think IM failed to live up to the hype it got for me at the time, were as Thor surpassed its hype for me, I enjoyed Thor much more to be honest, as for which is a better movie, I would say Thor JUST shades that as well, as it got me more invested in the characters than IM did.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #334
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well for Marvel's first film. I thought IM wasn't all bad.
I mean they showed the world how it SHOULD be done. lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #335
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ They sure did

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #336
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

The best from Marvel Studios?
Iron Man.
My favorite Marvel movie not made by Marvel?
X-Men (2000)

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #337
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Was that the cosmic cube??
Yes supposedly, there will be more about The Cube in Captain America.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #338
Gko

Just saw the movie today and had a quick question since I'm a Thor newbie:

Was Loki unremittingly bad? I came into the movie with the impression that Loki is just completely malevolent, but there were too many moments where Hiddleston played him as a conflicted anti-hero of sorts (when Odin collapses, not completely incinerating Thor when he could've, killing his biological dad, that look he gives before he lets go at the end). So what was Loki's angle? Is he just in a neverending feud with Thor? Or is attainment of power his endgoal?

I think it was intentional but I loved the complexities that Hiddleston brought with his physical acting.

Gko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #339
Flint Marko
No Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey 2007 View Post
Well I can see the Iron Man 2 hate from a mile away in this thread haha. I think we can all agree that we are getting movies from Marvel studios that are above and beyond. I personally didn't expect this level of quality. I truly LOVE every one of them.

I personally will never get the hate for Iron Man 2 and all the nitpicking. Why cant we just be happy were getting an Avengers film. Good lord, this is revolutionary.. and people complain about Iron man 2 being an extended trailer for avengers? thats amazing! its the Marvel Universe come to LIFE. Iron Man has always had guest stars and various other characters in his books, without them, it isnt Iron Man. It boggles the mind.
^ Could NOT agree more, I've always felt this way about it. These movies are amazing, in both quality and loyalty to the source material. I've never understood the hate.
But I voted Thor. I'd say it's dang near perfect in my eyes. It had it's glaring flaws, yes, but its just so damn fun.

MCU: $574,516,586 away from being the highest grossing franchise

Avengers 2 Ant-man Captain America 3 Doctor Strange Guardians 2 Thor 3 Black Panther Avengers 3 part I Captain Marvel Inhumans Avengers 3 part II
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #340
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

It's not hate for IM2. Just recognizing it was flawed.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #341
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Hey folks, I've recently rejoined this site after years of absence. But a phenomenal Marvel Movie summer just has me inspired.

LOVED THOR!!!!!

Saw it 4 times in cinema. Can't wait for the DVD!

It's strength is its emotional core and characters. The scene with THOR and LOKI in the SHIELD interrogation room is in my top 10 fav movie scenes ever. Extremely powerful.

Objectively though I think Iron Man is Marvel Studios' best movie. It's flow, pacing, and perfect length is unmatched in a comicbook superhero movie (CBSM). But THOR is a close second.

Strangely TIH is probably still my fav Marvel Studios movie. This is because I'm a sucker for good action scenes and those in TIH literally rip the comic off the page and put it on screen.

My fav CBSM (and movie) overall though; still X2.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #342
LOBO3315a
Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gko View Post
Just saw the movie today and had a quick question since I'm a Thor newbie:

Was Loki unremittingly bad? I came into the movie with the impression that Loki is just completely malevolent, but there were too many moments where Hiddleston played him as a conflicted anti-hero of sorts (when Odin collapses, not completely incinerating Thor when he could've, killing his biological dad, that look he gives before he lets go at the end). So what was Loki's angle? Is he just in a neverending feud with Thor? Or is attainment of power his endgoal?

I think it was intentional but I loved the complexities that Hiddleston brought with his physical acting.
In Norse Mythology, Loki was a trickster of sorts. Not really bad, but sometimes his actions would bring trouble. It wasn't intentional, but the problems were there nonetheless.

In the comics, Loki always thought he was better suited to rule Asgard than Thor, or even Odin. He always vied for Odin's favor with Thor, and always played his tricks in him, sometimes with destructive consequences.

And while he hated Thor, and Odin's love for Thor, he wasn't a total despot. Selfish, greedy, lusting after power, yes. But if a threat came from outside Asgard, Loki would put all that aside to defend the Realm.....unless he could somehow turn it into an opportunity to seize power. If the threat was great enough to destroy Asgard, he'd even lay that to the side. He didn't want to rule a cinder.

So Hiddleston played Loki perfectly. Not so evil, you couldn't stand him. A touch of sympathy to make you understand Loki's motivations, but still a dangerous being to be an adversary.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
LOBO3315a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #343
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Thor may very well be the best movie from Marvel by far.
Iron Man is great, but Thor is just so much damn fun to watch. I thought overall the film did have a few flaws (but what film doesn't) but what it does well more than makes up for what I felt it was lacking. I'm very curious now to see how well they pull of Captain America.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #344
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Yeah, after watching Thor a 2nd time, I would say that Thor is the best MMS so far, not quite sure were i'd put it in overall ratings though. Probably top ten.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #345
Vichy
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I went with Thor only because the Abomination looked so stupid, but otherwise I liked the Norton Hulk. I find IM and IM2 to be okay, and I can't stand any of the Fox stuff.

Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #346
WhiteRat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
For those who have seen the movie, is Thor the best film from Marvel Studios so far?

As a movie, I say it is tied with Iron Man, but I like this one better. Thor and his world just fascinate me more than Iron Man's character and universe, so Thor has better replay value for me.

To those of us who have seen the movie, vote and discuss!
oh yeah easily.Hands down no contest.Here is why.

Finally got around to seeing this movie yesterday.I got to say this is easily the best marvel comicbook movie ever made.Hands down,no contest.I would have to give this movie a ranking of 10 out of 10.It was excellent.Exciting from beginning to finish.Heck I would go so far as to say this movie was not only better than Iron Man "whom up to now,I always considered to easily be the best marvel comicbook movie ever made," but twice as good as it was.And thats saying a lot since no other marvel comicbook movie till then or since then, had come close to being as good as Ironman was for me.

For me,what really made this movie exceptional and amazing was the special effects,they were truly amazing and awesome.seeing the world that Thor lives in.Great story and everything to back it up as well.Asgard was amazing and the musical score was just awesome,very touching at times,just like Superman I and II were.

theres some major blockbuster movies out there that have amazing special effects but its so horribly written,you cant take it serious once you get past the special effects. a couple examples are spider-man and star wars,revenge of the sith for example.whether people here reailse it or not,the spiderman films suck and are horribly overrated.

Revenge of the sith for instance,I was really impressed with the first time I saw it mainly because of the special effects and really enjoyed it the first time.That was mainly because I was so much dissapointed with its two predecessers before it though.after a a couple more viewings though,I was able to then look past how great the special effects were and realise that its not that great a movie.That I only liked it as much as i did the first time because like i said,it wasnt near as bad as the first two and had some amazing special effects.

Iron man I still enjoyed immensely after multiple viewings so I have no doubt that I will with Thor as well.I plan on seeing this film at least 3 or 4 more times while in the theaters.This movie was so awesome,I cant believe I am saying this but I will probably actually rank it up there with the first two Superman movies and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.Both which are listed in my favorites list.I really enjoyed Ironman a lot, but not enough to where I ranked it as one of my favorites.It was funny when those Shield agents came out and said-Is this one of Starks machines?lol.

Thank god the movie trailers in this film did not let me down and the movie was every bit as great and exciting as the two trailers are on the first post of this thread.I knew from experience not to get too excited about it just because the trailers looked good.I was thinking that Sherlock Holmes for instance,was going to easily be my most favorite movie of the year that year because the trailer was so great.Turned out to be a major dissapointment though and I so much hated that film.This one however came though with flying colors.Captain America is going to have his work cut out for him trying to measure up tp Thor.

The only complaint that I really have about this movie and its very minor is that I was never a Thor fan or anything,but the few times I read a few of his comics and the few times I saw him in cartoons,I dont ever remember him smiling and being friendly like he was in the film.I always remember him being dead serious all the time when he spoke.

You got to assume there will be a sequal and somehow he will find his way back to earth again and be reunited with his lost love.

Last edited by WhiteRat; 06-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
WhiteRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #347
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Just cuz.

1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Iron Man 2

IM and Thor are top **** for me, they're just so faithful, straightforward & focused, and all about strong characters (the #1 reason I love stories). TIH and IM2 are also good and I love them too, but they're just a notch below the other two for me. I'd probably even put X:FC and X2 between Thor and TIH if this were an overall Marvel poll.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #348
3atman
Side-Kick

Is this a joke? Iron Man was charming and fun throughout, the love story wasn't overdone and phoney, it didn't rely on "kewl cgi", it was just a fun fun movie, the climax lacked and that was it.

Thor, Asgard looked okay, I'm not a CGI fan and a movie will never make me go "that was a good movie" based on CGI. The Loki story was amazing, but the love story...o my god. Are we following two 15 year olds? that was the depth of it. If I were to grade the acting based on characters it'd be A: Odin, Loki, B: Thor, C: everyone else. The acting had some bright spots but pretty average. The climax wasn't very good at all.

If I were to grade these movies, Iron Man gets a B+, Thor gets a C+. I'm not a marvel fan, an Iron Man fan, I'm not even a RDJ fan, I think he's massively overrated (in the same way Johnny Depp is but not to his extent). Anyone who thinks thor is a better movie is bias because of their fanhood towards Thor.

As far as Marvel character movies in general, X-Men First Class beats all mentioned above.

thor is about as good as IM2, not unwatchable, but you never feel like the hero is in trouble. In Dark Knight, SM2, etc you feel like the hero is in big trouble. The scene where Thor gets his power back is cheesey and predicatable and Natalie Portman is terrible, TERRIBLE. I don't care about Black Swan, that movie plays to her strengths, as a damsel in distress, she was worthless.

Take the love story out of Thor, or make it slower and not just "you're attractive" "so are you" and make a climax that actually feels like a climax then Thor is up there. Otherwise those are 2 gaping holes. It's an easy to watch movie, but your blood never gets going.

Last edited by 3atman; 06-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
3atman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #349
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

well i actually didn't like first class at all, but i really liked thor. so i guess we are on opposite ends here. oh well.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #350
blinkinrogue
Side-Kick

Im not sure about being the best but it's the one i enjoyed the most, it also helped that I am a thor fan

blinkinrogue is offline   Reply With Quote