Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #76
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Surtur for Thor 2...cause Thor 3 definetely needs to be about Ragnarok...
Surtur could be saved for Thor 3 because he can be the catalyst for bringing about Ragnarok by lighting his sword with the Eternal Flame.

I'd personally like to see Executioner and Enchantress as villains in Thor 2, they could play a pretty important part in the plot.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #77
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I loved the movie, it's one of the best comic book movies that I have ever seen and is better than most comic book movies imo.

I'll write my review later on.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #78
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Just saw the movie. Extremely satisfied. The coverted 3D was noticeable at times (blurred portions of the screen), but it wasn't too too bad. I just thought it was a very well rounded movie. The Earth comedic scenes were hilarious, the Asgard stuff epic. Everyone was amazing as the characters they portrayed. I loved it.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #79
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Pros:

- The humor worked really well for me, and I never found Darcy annoying.
- This is the first Marvel movie where I finally dug all the references to the Avengers and SHIELD. SHIELD, BTW, was better incorporated into this movie than it was in IM2.
- Hawkeye came off as badass even though he didn't do too much.
- Portman's character was really endearing. Even though their romance was rushed she and Hemsworth had enough chemistry that I believed they cared about one another.
- The acting was excellent by all.
- Loki killing the Frost Giant who was planning on killing Odin genuinely shocked me. Up to that point he had seemed like a generic supervillain.
- Thor getting his hammer back was a truly epic moment.

CONS

- Asgard and all its costumes did come off as cheesy to me.
- Thor's personality change came too quickly, as others have noted.
- Loki wasn't a particularly threatening villain. Other than his plan to kill off all the Frost Giants, who weren't particularly likable, he wasn't all that evil. There was definitely never a moment where I was nervous watching him on screen.
- The scope of the movie felt really small. It took place in a small town and even Asgard seemed to consist of about four rooms in the palace.

Overall it was good but below IM1 in quality. I give it a 7/10.

Last edited by RachelDawes; 05-06-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #80
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
But I agree that the movie could have benefited from being about 15 minutes longer.
I think a consensus is building on that point.

Someone made a decision to cut about that much out of the movie before it was released....I think it's safe to say that was a mistake? I'm sure it was thought shorter would appeal to fans more....but the opposite has occurred.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #81
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Just came back from it. This is behind Iron Man as the second best Marvel Studios film.

I had no problem with Thor's change. Hemsworth really made it believable to me. It doesn't need a span of time; scene after scene where he needs to change. I think the in the amount of time, the events really humbled him and made him realize what he was originally doing wasn't his best. All the scenes were just so good. They said alot and made up for whatever more scenes there could have been. Then when he turns into a humbled and nicer being, you just love the guy.

And Hemsworth as Thor. ****ing loved him. He captured everything. Even when he was a cocky bastard I still liked him. Hiddelston as Loki is one of the best Marvel movie villains. Definitely in the top three. From what I can tell, he's going to be great in Avengers. I can't wait to see how he interacts with everyone.

Pacing was just right to me. I would have liked to see more, because I was enjoying it so much. The opening battle sequence kicked so much ass. The visuals were just jaw dropping. The Bifrost, the Rainbow bridge, down to Thor twirling Mjolnir. I geeked out alot.

And the humor was terrific as well. I laughed alot. The fish out of water angle worked perfectly. My audience loved that. And I liked Kat Dennings as Darcy. Not only is she banging, she brought some nice humor. And of course Portman is otherworldy beautiful in an unspeakable way.

The Earth scenes to my surprise were as good as the Asgard scenes. Branagh really nailed everything. Especially the cast. Hopkins actually acted for the first time in years.

All around a 8 or 9 out of 10. Marvel is on a roll. Now onto Cap. Though I would want to see this again.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 05-06-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #82
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

Question: Do you think the success and box office for each of these individual character movies will affect how much emphasis will be put on each character in The Avengers? ie if Thor does incredibly well and Captain America bombs, will that affect their Avengers screentime and story?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #83
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
Question: Do you think the success and box office for each of these individual character movies will affect how much emphasis will be put on each character in The Avengers? ie if Thor does incredibly well and Captain America bombs, will that affect their Avengers screentime and story?
I doubt it, because Marvel will be looking to bounce these characters out of Avengers into solo films if at all possible. Hulk's movie didn't do so well, but they will try again after Avengers. So expect Hulk to be featured. If Thor's showing is respectable at the box office but not great, the studio will want the sequel to get a boost from Avengers, and so on.

At most I suppose that if the Cap movie truly flops, then Marvel might be looking to recast and therefore Chris Evans' scenes might be more likely to get left on the cutting room floor when all is said and done.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-06-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #84
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Not exactly, because they've already started shooting the Avengers, with the story and character plotlines locked in. However, if one truly spectacularly fails (unlikely at this point), they can always do some shifty editing to cut down on one character's presence if they see it fit.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #85
Superhero 101
DESI

My only gripes is that Jane and thor fall in love to quick and that the fight scenes with Loki and Destroyer were way too short. If the movie would have had one more Jane and Thor Scene in it i would have bought the whole love thing. Also Darcy and Agent Coulson were waste of time they could have done something more with them then just have them there. I am still deciding whether to give this movie a 7.5 or an 8.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #86
bullets
bang bang

09/10

I just got back and I thought it was amazing. Hemsworth is great as Thor . It was a good story and encompassed action , romance, adventure , and comedy so well. I could see myself watching this many times over. if I was to complain I'd say Thor's personality change and the pacing towards the end would be the main things. I really enjoyed it though and my city's theater was packed for this. Like line around the building packed- I wasn't expecting that.

I'm not sure a lot of people got the cameo , there was almost no reaction to it. It was more like an expected type of role for Renner.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #87
8wid
Banned User

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I just realized that Loki was trying to make himself to look like a stronger ruler when he killed the Frost Giant King. I thought he was going to try and help the Frost Giants invade Asgard with an army. That got me thinking he was destroying Jotunheim to cover up his true parentage.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #88
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Also Darcy and Agent Coulson were waste of time they could have done something more with them then just have them there.

Darcy was just comic relief I didn't care much for her. Coulson did all he could really ..way out of his league in this one. He's just there to tie this all together anyways. I think the actor is coming into his own with this role though.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #89
Flemm
Side-Kick

I saw the movie tonight by the way. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Still, conditions weren't ideal. I got to the packed theater late and had to sit very close to the front, which I do not prefer, especially for 3D. I'll be seeing it again in 2D later in the week and will probably wait until after the second viewing to post any detailed thoughts.

Chris and Tom are awesome as Loki and Thor, though, that much is clear. Also, the humor works very well. I was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed the earth scenes when compared to the Asgard scenes.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #90
Figs
Banned User

Just got back from the movie. I really liked it, but have to agree that it would have been better if it were a bit longer. That and I also have to repeat what others have said about the Destroyer fight being too short. Although the Destroyer is supposed to be near indestructible according to the fans of the comic(I haven't read many Thor comics), it was kind of cool seeing Thor give him a good beatdown anyways, showing how badass Thor is.

Hemsworth and Hiddleston were great in their roles and I love how Loki evolved throughout the movie. In the past I was against him being in the Avengers, mainly because I wanted a different villain since we already got him in Thor, but after watching this movie I can't wait to see what he's going to do in the Avengers.

The humour was pretty good minus Darcy. I didn't care for her character much and just like her scenes in the trailer, she kind of annoyed me, just a little.

The audience I was with seemed to have a fun time, theatre was packed. Going to see it again this Sunday with my parents.

As much as I liked the film I do have to admit that the amount of praise is surprising. It was damn good, but not perfect as some make it out to be. I look forward to a sequel to see Thor in all his might throughout the entire thing. The fish out of water scenes were funny, but the movie could have used a tad bit more action, on top of a little room to breath since it moved by real fast.

3.5/5

Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #91
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just got back from it. It was a solid movie. Not great, but good.

Hemsworth, however was great. I have no doubt that he can hold his own with Downey.

The biggest problem was the script. The stuff about Loki's plot seemed really rushed. Hiddleson was great with what he had but the character, his motivations, and his plan were never really explored until a quick throw away line during his fight with Thor.

I'm also suprised how little Rene Russo was given. Why cast Rene Russo if her character is essentially a glorified extra?

I feel like with TIH, a lot got left on the cutting room floor, a lot of which would've taken this movie from good movie to great movie. That said, the average script and terrible cutting was saved by its incredibly talented cast and crew. It is Marvel's best work since Iron Man but doesn't quite achieve the greatness of their first tent pole.

Like Figs, I will say 3.5/5.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #92
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I still can't believe that I enjoyed the movie alot. I dug all of the action, but I think that the weakest fight was between Thor and The Destroyer.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #93
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
I just got back and I thought it was amazing. Hemsworth is great as Thor . It was a good story and encompassed action , romance, adventure , and comedy so well.
lolwut

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #94
Figs
Banned User

Also have to add that I loved what they did with the Bifrost. I think it might have looked a tad too cheesy if they made it look like a full on rainbow, but the effect they gave it was great. Especially when you see Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three riding on it to go to Jotunheim. Similar to Avatar, where ever they stepped it made flashed of light.

Out of the Marvel Studio films, I'd rank them like this.

Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

IM2 and TIH are hard for me to figure out which one I liked more, I give it to IM2 because of RDJ.

Captain America looks promising and I think Thor was definitely the wild card out of these two, if it was going to be good or not. If Cap is as good as it looks I think Marvel is going to pack in the theatres with the Avengers.

Last edited by Figs; 05-07-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #95
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
lolwut
marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized

my ranking
Iron Man /TIH/Thor = even because I enjoyed them all immensely
Iron Man 2 = Good but not as good as the others.

Last edited by bullets; 05-07-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #96
Microchip
Gettin my applesauce back

Saw it, loved it, would rank it below Iron Man but above IM2 and TiH. Great balance of humour, action and story. It felt a bit rushed in parts, especially pertaining to a certain God of Thunder falling in love in the span of a few days, but wow, I never thought they could make Thor that cool. 8.5/10, very good film.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #97
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

no poll? come on Thor mod.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #98
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
no poll? come on Thor mod.
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=352427

Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #99
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

aren't I a dumb dumb.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #100
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
aren't I a dumb dumb.
Nah, usually the polls are part of the same thread, but it's that damn Thread Manager's fault.

So...did you like Thor better than The Room?

Closed Thread