Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #101
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Default Re: The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
So...did you like Thor better than The Room?
Nothing is better than that glorious one of a kind film that is The Room. I give Thor a 8.5/10.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #102
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Full review,

On my initial blurb this morning I gave it 9/10, I'll get back to that later.

I saw it a second time tonight (this time in 2D). As to that debate, you'll enjoy either version, but you will not feel disapointed paying for the 3D. Probably the best post production 3D conversion to date, but don't expect Avatar.

Now to it....

One word describes Thor and it is EPIC!

I hear the complaints, and I either think these people complaining need to get some, or they are blind. The complaints that I've read are nitpicks. Seriously people are complaining about Kat Dennings? Were people this upset with Betty Brant from the Spider-man movies? With Christine Everhardt from the Iron Man movies?

Run time? I mean do some of you sit down with a stop watch when you're watching a movie?

Thor is exactly what movie making is all about, immagination, vision, and storytelling. Jack Kirby is giving a standing ovation in heaven right now, because what was captured on film was plucked straight out of Kirby's mind and put up on screen. This is the film that the Fantastic Four movies should have been and didn't even come close. I admit those movies were somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me, but after seeing Thor, those movies should be ashamed that they were ever made. Fox should issue a formal letter of apology to the Kirby family on their behalf. Compared to Thor those movies are worse than Batman and Robin, that's how good Thor was.

Anthony Hopkins brings gravitas to this movie that hasn't been seen since Marlon Brando played Jor-El. But if it were only Hopkins this movie would have fallen flat on it's face.

Chris Hemsworth is on his way to Hollywood stardom. The former Aussie soap star who got his big break by playing Captain Kirk's daddy, is now going to be known to all as Thor. Chris OWNED this movie. I admit I half expected that he could come off like Dolph Lundgren in He Man. But Branagh and the producers got their hand on pure gold when they cast this young Australlian actor.

The second big and rising star of this effort will be Hiddleston. Of all the Marvel villians, three stand out, Dr. Doom, Dr. Octapus, and Loki. As badly as Fox screwed up with Doom, that's how spot on they got Loki. Where they could have just done the typical mustash twirling villian, they brought a humanity and a depth to the character that really has not been seen before in a comic book villian. As far as portrayals of a villians in Marvel films, this is by far the best one.

I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of Natalie Portman, but I am now. The chemistry between her and Chris is perfect. Reeve and Kidder, Maguire and Dunst (at least in the 1st movie), and Downey and Paltrow, that's the company that Hemsworth and Portman are in with their on screen romance. Portman also just brings an innocence to the film that really has not been seen in any of these superhero movies since the first Superman.

The special effects are IMO by far the best of any of the Superhero movies out there. The scenes are breath taking. Again what could have come off as very silly, it taken very seriously and there's a beauty to it that really can only be compared to Lord of the Rings in scope.

The score is excellent, very majestic and heroic. Patrick Doyle does excellent work here. The score very much reminded me of Last of the Mohicans where the music is strong and bold, but blends in perfectly with the movie. This is probably one of Doyle's best scores.

Thor had to work on a level where introducing the fantastic with the ordinary would come off as believable, and sincere. Thor succeeds on both counts here. There's a raw humanity to the film, that I've not seen in a movie in a long time that really cuts through everything, and makes you believe this could happen. At the end of the day this is a story about a man who is headstrong, and thinks he knows better than everyone including his father. It's got great lessons for children about thinking before you act, and understanding that when your parents tell you no, it's usually for good reason. There's a real morality to the film, that I feel is sorely lacking in alot of superhero films.

Finally let's talk about the MCU elements. I thought this was handled well, and we knew from a year ago at the end of Iron Man 2 that Coulson was apart of Thor, so his presence in the film didn't seem forced to me. Yes there is an implied expectation of the continuity, but no more than if someone went to see Fast Five and hadn't seen any of the previous in that series. The Hawkeye cameo was great, and Jeremy Renner just does a great job with what few lines he has. Great little references to the Hulk and Iron Man, they're there but they don't distract from the overall storytelling.

Initially I rated this movie 9/10, but looking at that now, I was far to conservative. After seeing it a second time tonight, I realized this movie is the culmination of what Marvel sought when they started full on producing films free of constraints of working under a major studio. I reserve the right to change my mind, and I'm excercising that right now.

10/10 just a superb effort!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #103
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
words

Old 05-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #104
Marvel
Side-Kick

9/10

Marvelís now officially four for four in my book. Thor was everything I was hoping for and quality entertainment from opening scene to the last. The director presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. Itís a perfect blend and yet it still remembers to pack a heart. The pacing was perfect even though I would've liked to have seen more quality time spent between Jane and Thor. That would've added more credibility to the chemistry and longing they both display for each other. Besides a few minor shortcuts in story, this film packs quite a punch and is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

Just like Iron Man, they played both sides of the fence perfectly. You need know nothing about the character to enjoy the film yet the fans were respected and spotted the little things that service the story but don't really register to non-fans. Everything from SHIELD to the Donald Blake reference. The people I saw it with knew next to nothing about the character yet every one of them walked away smiling. Being a nutball fan, maybe I'm too close to the material but that's always a good gage for me.

Also, being that nutball fan I checked out EACH of the presentations. Personally, I thought the Real 3D sucked and actually detracted from the presentation. It was darker than 2D and a lot of the little nuances were lost in scenes and even performances. 2D was much better. Then, I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was the best of both. It was brighter and the spectacle popped in that 3D. I would watch it in 2D or IMAX again but NOT in Real 3D.

Note: the new crew of At The Movies gave Thor Two Thumbs Up but liked it more on a superficial level...
http://www.ebertpresents.com/movies/thor

Old 05-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #105
Mary Jane Watson
Side-Kick

I never read Thor comic before, this movie is awesome!
8/10

A movie stands on its own. The "changes" aren't important - the quality of the film is.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #106
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I hear the complaints, and I either think these people complaining need to get some, or they are blind. The complaints that I've read are nitpicks. Seriously people are complaining about Kat Dennings? Were people this upset with Betty Brant from the Spider-man movies? With Christine Everhardt from the Iron Man movies?

Betty Brant and Christine Everhardt weren't there for comedy relief though. I didn't hate Dennings, but I didn't like her either. Her humour just wasn't that good.

Run time? I mean do some of you sit down with a stop watch when you're watching a movie?
I don't think the complaints about runtime were that negative. The movie was really good, but it could have used another 15 minutes to flesh things out a bit more is all.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #107
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

Saw it today, and loved every minute.

Good humor, good action, good special effects, and overall, great acting. 10/10 all the way.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #108
Gamma Burst
Banned User

I need to see this film again!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #109
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Betty Brant and Christine Everhardt weren't there for comedy relief though.
Um pretty much yeah they were.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #110
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

just watched the movie in IMAX 3d
heres my pros and cons
Pros:
-loved the acting, it was fantastic (especially loki, and thor of course)
-Jotenheim fight scene was sick
-thor getting his powers back scene
-warriors three rocked
-thor flying
-plot was great
-right amount of humor

cons:
-3d made the thor flying parts a little cartoonish (only at some parts)
-3d made it difficult to focus on the action scences
-dstryer was great except for his short fight scene with thor was a let down
-movie felt a little unbalanced
-at the end of the movie i felt the need for more of thor's arrogant attitude and hammer spinning (i guess thats a gud thing)

overall: 9/10 the pros outweighed the cons five fold....really great movie and i am even more hyped at how loki is going to play out in the avengers

Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #111
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Um pretty much yeah they were.
What exactly did they say that was so humerous in those films???

Either way you're being overly defensive of other people's opinions just like with IM2. Just because people have a few criticisms doesn't mean they hated the movie.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #112
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:

Either way you're being overly defensive of other people's opinions just like with IM2. Just because people have a few criticisms doesn't mean they hated the movie.
Betty Brant had alot of banter with Jameson, like him taking his pills and her buzzing him every 5 seconds, and how about "Christine did quite the spread on Tony last year"

Never said you hated the movie. I just think criticizing Kat Dennings is nit picky, and I hate nit picking movies.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #113
Saint
The Devil's Robot

I just got back.

I thought it was very, very good. Like Iron Man, it was not the way I would have handled the material. Iin Iron Man, I would have applied harder science fiction and a more serious tone, while for Thor I would have increased the scale, the stakes on Earth, and I might have treated the mythology in general a little more closely to JMS' take. In both cases, though, the route they took worked very well.

I like the humour on Earth. The romance was half-baked, but it didn't hurt things too much. Thor himself was much younger in spirit than I'm accustomed to, but obviously that's what they were going for, and it worked out well enough.

The movie was certainly at it's best when Loki, Thor, and Odin were all together. The scenes in Asgard were great, and they really sold the familial relationship between the three characters. The way Thor thwarted Loki was also really cool.

I think Marvel is holding the properties back a little; they're so concerned with making sure everything feeds Avengers that the filmmakers can't really go all-out on the material. I understand their goals, and I since Thor still manages to be great despite the limitations set upon it, there's not much to complain about--but it would be nice if, one day, someone just went nuts on a Thor movie, and took it all the way--the way Peter Jackson took Lord of the Rings all the way.

In any case, I think there's going to be a big payoff in Avengers when it all comes togerher--and until then, if the solo films maintain this standard of quality, I'll be happy.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #114
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

I have to agree that both Betty Brant and Christine Everhardt were in the films to play the foil and for comedy relief. Except for when she showed Stark the photos, Christine Everhardt was pure comic relief. Stark's "Da Vinci" line and Pepper's "taking out the trash" lines were at her expense. The sexual innuendo comedy of IM2 was because of her character. Betty's pill popping buzzer ringing torturing of JJJ brought huge laughs as did the "that's not the position I hired you for" line in SM3.

Kat Dennings role in Thor was small but perfectly written IMO.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #115
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Betty Brant had alot of banter with Jameson, like him taking his pills and her buzzing him every 5 seconds, and how about "Christine did quite the spread on Tony last year"

I remember those bits, but they weren't the actual comedy relief is what I was saying. They were involved in those scenes, but with Brant, JJ was the comedy relief she was there acting alonside it.

Never said you hated the movie. I just think criticizing Kat Dennings is nit picky, and I hate nit picking movies.
I know you weren't referring to me, I meant in general. I also don't care much for nit pickers, but not liking Darcy's humour to me was a valid complaint. It could have been written better is all.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #116
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Default My Thor review

I'm not the best at writing a review on a movie, or even close to it, but here is my take on the movie.

I love Thor because I think that it has alot of things going for it. It's not abstract, it doesn't take it's self too seriously, and it sticks close to the comic books. It's colorful, the movie is effective when it's colorful because that aspect fits the descriptions of the genres that it's suppose to be a combination of. The 3D is perfect thanks to looking the way that it's suppose to look (well at least in my opinion) and thanks to being free of negative side affects. What also makes it enjoyable is the fact that it doesn't try to be preachy by telling you semi-incomprehensible opinions. The acting is great because no one over acts, goes into "phoning it in" mode, and because no one sounds as if they are reading off of something. The dialog is palatable thanks to very unnatural words being implemented into the movie. If there is anything that I dislike in a movie, it's nothing but bland dialog.

The story telling? It's perfect, I wasn't left feeling confused about anything. I was worried about the earth bits, but fortunately for me, they were pretty entertaining in a good way. The acting is also good because the actors and actresses succeed in acting like fictional characters, they know what they are suppose to do, unlike some actors and actresses. The Dutch angles? I didn't have a single problem with them. Is the movie ground breaking? No, but that is okay since I didn't go into the movie with that kind of expectation. The characters are written as normal characters, but thankfully, they don't come off as too normal. Especially the citizens of Asgard.

The special effects are awesome. None of them looks out of place, they look imaginative, real, and fresh. The music? It's great, to me it doesn't come off as monotone and sounds as if it was made by talented people, I also like it because it's on the symphony/classical side. The characters are likable, yet flawed, it's appropriate since they are suppose to be on the human side. The movie is also good because the characters that are suppose to be on the human side don't lack humanity. The movie also receives a point for telling you things that are true, it doesn't act as if no one can be deceiving and also tells you that one is capable of changing for the better. Anyways, that's enough from me.

9/10

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-07-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #117
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

What I like about Thor is that it shows you can have a bright, colorful superhero movie but still have it not be a giant live action cartoon. The Raimi Spidey films skirted this even a little more closely to the edge in it's first two installments but ened up falling over that edge into live action cartoonery in the 3rd film. The first 4 Batman films ALL were live action cartoons(granted the first two were dark cartoons but cartoons none the less with cartoon logic applied to why things work). That Thor managed NOT to fall into this(which would have made it not fit with the other films in the MCU) is astounding to me.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #118
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Finally saw the movie yesterday. I LIKE IT. *smashes movie* ANOTHER!!!
Seriously, great movie, even better than I expected. I give it a 8.5/10

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #119
itsleroy
Side-Kick

Im a huge Marvel nerd, I love comicbooks, etc. I've never read a Thor comicbook, so I went into this movie expecting to be amazed as I was with Iron Man.

But man, this movie was plainly stated, not good. So disappointed. This was probably the first time I actually got bored during a comicbook film, multiple times throughout the film I was waiting for it to ramp up but it never did. I didn't believe that Thor could change so drastically in what seemed like a day, and him and Jane falling in love in such a short period of time was extremely unbelievable. Hell, if you pay attention closely Jane is even wearing the same clothes she had in the beginning of the film. Natalie Portman basically just showed up, there just wasn't enough screentime for the film to properly convey them falling in love. It just wasn't believable enough for me.

I also disliked Darcy, the character was completely useless, I actually cringed at some of her jokes. She did not need to be in this film. The Facebook joke was the absolute worst. I also thought it was a weird creative decision to have the film be set in a small town, but thats just nitpicking really. The musical score was also pretty forgettable as well, I forgot there was music playing at times.

However, I loved the visuals in Asgard, the rainbow bridge was especially awesome. I also really enjoyed watching Thor fight, and Hiddleston did a really amazing job as Loki. There were a couple of really funny scenes that I enjoyed as well. Chris Hemsworth also did an AWESOME job as Thor.

I think its going to be interesting to see how Thor meshes with the rest of the Avengers team. I'm especially curious to see how they show the difference between Thor's use of magic with the rest of the crew's powers.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it though; the absolute worst thing is to get a poor film adaptation of your favorite superhero comicbook.

(No hate on any massive Thor fans, just expressing my opinion of the film.)

I would rate the film a 5/10.

Last edited by itsleroy; 05-07-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #120
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Wow.

Saw it tonight for the first time and this is BY FAR AND AWAY Marvel's best movie to date. Better than Iron Man (which is critically overrated outside of the charm Downey brings to the character of Tony Stark) and my former favorite Marvel film The Incredible Hulk.

I've read some of the nit picky complaints some critics and user reviews on here have voiced, particularly the concept of things being "rushed" .... and I have one thing to say to that: It only feels that way because the movie leaves you wanting more and that's a great sign for a film. At no point in the movie did I sit there going "Oh em gee, I need them to slow down and explain more!!!" ....... Are there a couple areas that could be even better had they been able to spend more time? Sure, perhaps something like more of Thor and Loki growing up. Does it detract from the film? None whatsoever .... Thor's transition from arrogant to humble .... where's the problem? Did they not comprehend the moment when he couldn't life the hammer? What's with the complaints that Hawkeye's cameo was forced? Honestly, they only say that because the actor is Renner. If it was some other Joe Shmoe called Barton nobody would make a peep. I can't wait to see him in the Avengers.

Seriously this is the kind of movie all future CBM's should be compared to. It charms the pants off you. It was like riding my favorite rollercoaster. The comedy that everyone feared would not fit, oh it certainly did and honestly it made sense to use it considering the material. The acting was spot on. I can't believe I've even read a few comments on this board proclaiming that Hiddleston wasn't developed and didn't come off as a great villain. Are they joking? Did they watch the movie blindfolded? Hiddelston was everything I wanted out of Loki and I mean EVERYTHING. I thought he was every bit of Thor's near equal and I am looking forward for the things to come with his character. The camera loves the guy (especially during his one-on-one with Odin in the vault.

My man Hemsworth, what can I say ....... He's Thor. The guy has everything going for him. Presence, charm, commanding voice ..... regal eyes ..... I swear, the scene with him attempting to lift the hammer he looked EXACTLY like THOR from the comics. They really couldn't have picked a better cast - this coming from the guy who wanted Alexander Skaarsgard to play the lead. Edris Elba was a bad ass. Hopkins once again was the kind of guy you'd want to listen gargle oatmeal.

I got my share of action and then some. I was actually really impressed with Johunteim. I had real concerns from early shots of the set, but it was well done. Minor quam though with some of the shots of the fight scenes with them as Thor or anyone got close to them. There was sort of a blur effect. I must say though, the Frost Giants looked good. I was initially concerned with their size, but that is no more. Loved hearing Feore's voice as Laufey. Thor really does beat some backside in this flick though. You really get a feel for just how powerful this young chap really is, especially when he takes on the Johunteim beast.

This was just an extremely fun movie. So many memorable and powerful moments. I really didn't want it to stop. I only have minor issues with the Destroyer fight and how things ended with SHIELD (sort of abruptly) ..... alas I don't understand what anyone's problem could be with their existence. They don't detract from the movie and in no way are overbearing. If anything they add an extra dimension ..... a "glue" if you will for the MCU. The score was fantastic and dressed up the movie perfectly. I absolutely LOVED the end-credits scene with Nick Fury. This was every bit a comic book film. Well done Marvel. Seriously well done. I can't see it again soon enough.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-07-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #121
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso
I agree, but we're officially wrong.

The only waste is our needless posts on correcting Thor fans how something they thought was funny was in fact (according to us) not funny.

They had never seen trolls with such a high post count, lol

Holy crap, we're right! They don't think they have an argument except spell correction.
It's not an argument, it's an opinion. An opinion on 'what is funny' one of the most subjective topics out there. You feel a certain way, other people feel differently. If it's left at that, it's fine. If it keeps getting brought up, like this, to try and stir the pot and get a reaction by being passive aggressive, then it's bordering on trolling. If you GENUINELY don't want to be considered a troll, your next post is very important. You can enter a discussion or keep repeating yourself. Choice is yours.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #122
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

It's OK, basically good, could have been pushed to "great."

Like The Incredible Hulk, it doesn't have the dizzying high points of an Iron Man film, but it doesn't have the script weaknesses those did either. You'd call it "solid."

The biggest problem: in the script that leaked, The Warriors Three were hilarious. It seems that, at some point, a decision was made that almost all comedy had to be confined to Earth. I think that was a huge mistake; the tone they had in that leaked draft worked. The quips and comedic bits with the Warriors were where you got most of their characterization. Those were deleted and now they they don't say much at all, except exposition. I see people wondering why they were even in the movie. If they'd been left as they originally were on the page, people would be dying to see more of those characters.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #123
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoulsonFan View Post
It's OK, basically good, could have been pushed to "great."

Like The Incredible Hulk, it doesn't have the dizzying high points of an Iron Man film, but it doesn't have the script weaknesses those did either. You'd call it "solid."

The biggest problem: in the script that leaked, The Warriors Three were hilarious. It seems that, at some point, a decision was made that almost all comedy had to be confined to Earth. I think that was a huge mistake; the tone they had in that leaked draft worked. The quips and comedic bits with the Warriors were where you got most of their characterization. Those were deleted and now they they don't say much at all, except exposition. I see people wondering why they were even in the movie. If they'd been left as they originally were on the page, people would be dying to see more of those characters.
I think Marvel was so afraid that the Asgard stuff would be seen as "cheesy" that they cut all potential cheese from those scenes. In the sequel I want as much Asgard as possible with Sif and the Warriors Three and a newly introduced Balder having major supporting roles behind Thor and Loki

Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #124
hatebox
Side-Kick

Down to 79% on RT.com. That's quite a fall from its glory days in the 90s, but I think it's actually a fairer score and is one of those instances where RT has balanced itself out in line with the quality of the film pretty well.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #125
The Morningstar
Banned User

You know, the one thing i'm baffled about, and no disrespect to peoples opinions, is the criticism of Thor's change.

I mean, didn't you see the scene where Loki visits Thor at the SHIELD complex? That is the tipping point for Thor. As far as he knows, he is responsible for his Fathers death. His own Mother wants nothing to do with him anymore. If that doesn't make you buck your ideas up and look at yourself in the mirror... what will?

Also with Loki saying he can't ever return, it makes Thor accept that yea, he's stuck on Earth, you might as well deal with it.

Closed Thread