The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #101
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Funniest Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That's probably what I meant when I said: "I don't [determine what's "valuable" comedy] (...) Good is up to opinion."

So you see that, beyond you not reading the very posts you quote and reply to, we do agree.
My response originated from this exchange ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton
The humor in this film was more than effective, even Dennings. The crowd always laughed at her quips in the 3 screenings I've been to.
And everyone laughed at the fart noises my classmate used to make. Doesn't mean it was some valuable piece of comedy.
You went from discussing Denning's comedic effectiveness .... to it's "value" .... then it became whether it was good or not. Understand my confusion in the point you're trying to establish.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #102
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

You know El Payaso, for someone who has the Joker as an avy you would think that you would have a little more appreciation for nonsensical humor...just saying.

Anywho, I understand your point that certain things do not need to be in movies, just cause. However, I think Darcy was cute and she embodied the "layman" of the group, as she was the only one who was not really a scientist and was looking for answers. Your typical college girl in my opinion, but whatever.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #103
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
My response originated from this exchange ....

You went from discussing Denning's comedic effectiveness .... to it's "value" .... then it became whether it was good or not. Understand my confusion in the point you're trying to establish.
I have nothing but respect for other people's confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
You know El Payaso, for someone who has the Joker as an avy you would think that you would have a little more appreciation for nonsensical humor...just saying.
And I do. That's why, if you read my last posts in this thread (in fact replying to you), I said I can enjoy 'Jackass' but that doesn't mean I find it suitable for any movie.

Quote:
Anywho, I understand your point that certain things do not need to be in movies, just cause. However, I think Darcy was cute and she embodied the "layman" of the group, as she was the only one who was not really a scientist and was looking for answers. Your typical college girl in my opinion, but whatever.
Yes, that'd have been a good approach. My problem again was that she was nothing but a comedic relief. All she embodied about the layman was an inability to pronounce unusual words.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #104
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Which was her only purpose, and what she delivered. Nothing more nothing less. Could they have done without her yes, but she was the "comedic relief" as you say. Having two scientist act juvenile would not have worked. Now did we need the "juvenile" humor, facebook, tasers, buff homeless dude, meow, meow, etc. No, but I don't think it took anything away from the action or drama of the movie. In fact I think it added to the humanity of the film.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #105
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Also, I think the slapstick was very short of Jackass and that type of humor. If anything Thor's smashing of the glass and demanding of another was more in line with those types of gags, but whatever. We can agree to disagree.

She was cute, and never once made me say, "Someone get this b**ch off screen." IMO she added to the scenes she was in.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #106
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Which was her only purpose, and what she delivered. Nothing more nothing less. Could they have done without her yes, but she was the "comedic relief" as you say. Having two scientist act juvenile would not have worked. Now did we need the "juvenile" humor, facebook, tasers, buff homeless dude, meow, meow, etc. No, but I don't think it took anything away from the action or drama of the movie. In fact I think it added to the humanity of the film.
That's what I've said all along; it was unnecessary. Now if it had me laughing I'd say who cares.

As I said, when Thor was actually behaving like an Asgardian on Earth - and not overplaying it - he became naturally funny. But that was part of the story. That brought the humanity, it was connected to the story.

Now, you say that Dennings character's only purpose was to be a comedic relief. Then I say the 'layman' thing is nothing but what could have been hadn't she been only uttering banal jokes that had nothing to do with the story or the spirit of it.

Quote:
Also, I think the slapstick was very short of Jackass and that type of humor. If anything Thor's smashing of the glass and demanding of another was more in line with those types of gags, but whatever. We can agree to disagree.
No. Jackass was just an example. I'm not saying Thor the movie was anything like that show. At all.

Quote:
She was cute, and never once made me say, "Someone get this b**ch off screen." IMO she added to the scenes she was in.
You cat! You like the girl! That's why you find her funny!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #107
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

The line where the SHIELD agent called the Warriors Three & Sif "Xena, Jackie Chan & Robin Hood" got the most laughs in my theater.

IMO, I found Stan Lee's car in the background of the coffee shop scene hilarious.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #108
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
The line where the SHIELD agent called the Warriors Three & Sif "Xena, Jackie Chan & Robin Hood" got the most laughs in my theater.

IMO, I found Stan Lee's car in the background of the coffee shop scene hilarious.
Had forgotten about that one! Yeah, but it was all about him being Stan.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #109
Rock Sexton

Quote:
I have nothing but respect for other people's confusion.
.... As do I for people who can't keep their argument straight.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #110
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

El go back and read your posts. Maybe YOU know what you are trying to say, but you're going back and forth..at least that's how I and Sexton see it.

Yea, I dig her, but I think her character was needed as the layman, as the comic relief or at least one of the, and as the human connection factor for the everyday person.

Was the line by the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents needed about renaissance fairs, and Xena, Jackie, and Robin? No. Would government agents really be eating and drinking on the job and cracking jokes? No. Would an established scientist really be having a pissing contest by trying to out drink some stranger, though he finds interesting, whom he really thinks is delusional? No.

There are quite a few WTF moments, but are overlooked because they are 1. funny 2. natural 3. add to the scenes and 4. make the movie all the more enjoyable.

If this had been a "real" movie without the comedy then Shield would have sedated Thor as soon as he entered the compound and hauled him off to area 51.

Plus, as it is stated Darcy is a poli-psy major and doesn't take that science/mythology mumbo jumbo too seriously. In all honesty some of Thor's actions on earth were more over the top and unneeded than Darcy's, but I'm not about to hate on the direction Branagh took. So that will be my only time saying that to emphasize my point. Thor seemed more Ultimate Thor than old school, but hey I don't care just saying.

Leave Darcy be. She's the Favreau of the Thor Film, and not the Jar Jar Binks of Star Wars....and that's all that matters.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #111
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Was the line by the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents needed about renaissance fairs, and Xena, Jackie, and Robin?
I wonder what the reaction would've been had Kat Dennings delivered that line.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #112
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
.... As do I for people who can't keep their argument straight.
Nothing like self-respect.

Quote:
El go back and read your posts. Maybe YOU know what you are trying to say, but you're going back and forth..at least that's how I and Sexton see it.

Yea, I dig her, but I think her character was needed as the layman, as the comic relief or at least one of the, and as the human connection factor for the everyday person.
You say she was needed as the layman because of the human connection (as if Portman's or Skarsgar's characters weren't human enough), then you say her only purpose was to be a comedic relief and then again the necessary layman.

You're going back and forth, at least that's how I'm reading it.

IMO, Eric Selvig added all necessary humanity being older and in that scene at the bar and then all drunk. He was far more relatable and far more than a mere comedic relief. And had a better connection to Thor than Portman's character. yes, I said it.

Quote:
Was the line by the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents needed about renaissance fairs, and Xena, Jackie, and Robin? No. Would government agents really be eating and drinking on the job and cracking jokes? No. Would an established scientist really be having a pissing contest by trying to out drink some stranger, though he finds interesting, whom he really thinks is delusional? No.

There are quite a few WTF moments, but are overlooked because they are 1. funny 2. natural 3. add to the scenes and 4. make the movie all the more enjoyable.
Well, at least you admit they weren't necessary.

That's why I prefer to stick to the moments that were naturally funny, as the one I mentioned with Thor. Those did add something to the movie.

Quote:
If this had been a "real" movie without the comedy then Shield would have sedated Thor as soon as he entered the compound and hauled him off to area 51.
Man, see? You have already great ideas that could have done this movie even better. No, this is not sarcasm. that would have added more risk and dangerousness.

Quote:
Plus, as it is stated Darcy is a poli-psy major and doesn't take that science/mythology mumbo jumbo too seriously. In all honesty some of Thor's actions on earth were more over the top and unneeded than Darcy's, but I'm not about to hate on the direction Branagh took. So that will be my only time saying that to emphasize my point. Thor seemed more Ultimate Thor than old school, but hey I don't care just saying.

Leave Darcy be. She's the Favreau of the Thor Film, and not the Jar Jar Binks of Star Wars....and that's all that matters.
Dar-Dar Lewis.

But seriously, her being a poli-psy major and doesn't take that science/mythology mumbo jumbo too seriously was a great concept to confront to the existence of mythological beings. Too bad ot got dilluted.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #113
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

El, El, El.....I seriously think you are just being difficult. Yes, she was both the layman, and comedic relief, as were a bunch of characters. Was it needed? No. There were a lot of things they could have done without. Heck they could have went in a whole different direction, ce la vie. But they didn't and the movie turned out great. She was both. I'm not saying that she was one or the other. Most average people would have done the same thing she did or said. Heck, when the townies were trying to pull the hammer from the stone they were grilling, drinking, partying etc. etc.

Would this happen in real life, possibly no. But it's a gross exaggeration of Americans and our behaviors.

All characters added to the humanity. Howerver, Darcy was the only person without prior knowledge of mythology and who didn't really know about wormholes and care for the science stuff. She was the average person, which is sometimes needed in films. As I said, the favreau of the Thor films, or the C-3PO/R2D2, I could go on and on. Her purpose was to say what we were all thinking and wanted to say. Unnecessary? Sure. But fun? Yes.

My main point regardless of everything else was that she did not take away from the movie at all, but added to it and wasn't diluted.

Oh, and as far as the natural funny goes. She was naturally funny. Thor's actions were natural, though at times less I would argue. However, nothing that was distracting.

Agree to disagree...and enjoy the the darn movie! Darn DC fans I swear lol. I'm sure the Green Lantern will give you all that you are looking for. You have Reynolds to look forward to after all. Kidding I'm both a DC & Marvel fan.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #114
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Nothing like self-respect.
You have a good point .... no wait, it's valuable .... no that's not what I meant. It's effective! Yeah, that's it!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #115
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I wonder what the reaction would've been had Kat Dennings delivered that line.
More senseless humor, unnecessary and detrimental to the film, according to El I suspect lol.

Quote:
You have a good point .... no wait, it's valuable .... no that's not what I meant. It's effective! Yeah, that's it!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #116
DACrowe
Side-Kick

1. Natalie Portman's reactions to Thor after he kills the metal-thingy.

Natalie: Is this how you always dress?
Thor: Usually
Natalie: It's a good look.

...They fly off together.

Thor: Would you like to see the bridge we spoke of?
Natalie: Sure. (he pulls in her). Oh. (Flies away laughing)

I have commented on how contrived this romance felt, but Natalie sold these lines with enough girlish surprise while also being self-aware of the silliness to the audience that I found it hilarious.

2. SHIELD Agents see Sif and Co.

SHIELD 1: Is there a Renaissance Fair in town this week?
SHIELD 2: I dunno. Call it in.
SHIELD 1: Yeah, we have Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood headed downtown.

3. Thor discovering coffee.

THOR: This is excellent. (Smashes cup on ground) MORE!

4. Thor goes into pet store:

THOR: I need a horse.
CLERK: We only have dogs, cats, bird and fish.
THOR: Give me one of those large enough to ride.

5. When Mystery Inc....err the scientists hit Thor with their car the second time outside the hospital.

Those were the ones that stood out to me.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #117
Guhndoi
Side-Kick's Side-Kick

Biggest laugh for me was the Pet Store scene. Stan's cameo was funny too. I think it is his best yet.

Guhndoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #118
hugekent
Side-Kick

I was in a pretty empty cinema both times I saw it but the coffee and pet store scenes both got big laughs both times.

hugekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #119
BigA
Side-Kick

Same here. The Pet Store scene and the part where he gets stuck with the needle in the hospital got the most laughs.

BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #120
Avengers-Report
Side-Kick

The pet store and when he got hit with the car the second time got the most laughs.

Avengers-Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #121
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
1. Natalie Portman's reactions to Thor after he kills the metal-thingy.

Natalie: Is this how you always dress?
Thor: Usually
Natalie: It's a good look.

...They fly off together.

Thor: Would you like to see the bridge we spoke of?
Natalie: Sure. (he pulls in her). Oh. (Flies away laughing)

I have commented on how contrived this romance felt, but Natalie sold these lines with enough girlish surprise while also being self-aware of the silliness to the audience that I found it hilarious.

2. SHIELD Agents see Sif and Co.

SHIELD 1: Is there a Renaissance Fair in town this week?
SHIELD 2: I dunno. Call it in.
SHIELD 1: Yeah, we have Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood headed downtown.

3. Thor discovering coffee.

THOR: This is excellent. (Smashes cup on ground) MORE!

4. Thor goes into pet store:

THOR: I need a horse.
CLERK: We only have dogs, cats, bird and fish.
THOR: Give me one of those large enough to ride.

5. When Mystery Inc....err the scientists hit Thor with their car the second time outside the hospital.

Those were the ones that stood out to me.

I thought the same way, Natalie just sold it really good and god she was hot in the movie. See Georege lucas just give her a decent love story and charasmatic costar to play off and we could have had a much better love story in episode 2.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #122
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
El, El, El.....I seriously think you are just being difficult. Yes, she was both the layman, and comedic relief, as were a bunch of characters. Was it needed? No. There were a lot of things they could have done without. Heck they could have went in a whole different direction, ce la vie. But they didn't and the movie turned out great. She was both. I'm not saying that she was one or the other. Most average people would have done the same thing she did or said.
Man, you did say she was the comedic relief, "Which was her only purpose, and what she delivered. Nothing more nothing less." Now you say she was more than that. Understand my confusion!!!

But I get it, I took literally what you said but you meant both actually.

I say, what's with the layman aspect you keep bringing up? I mean, I understand what is it about, but what did Dar-Dar do that fulfilled that role?

Quote:
Heck, when the townies were trying to pull the hammer from the stone they were grilling, drinking, partying etc. etc.

Would this happen in real life, possibly no. But it's a gross exaggeration of Americans and our behaviors.
I bet my white make-up they would have.

That bit was also funny, naturally funny. It depicted certain kind of American (and I'd say person in general regardless of their nationality). As soon as they saw something valuable, it was a competition to find the one who could take it over and fulfill the American dream.

That was good.

Quote:
All characters added to the humanity. Howerver, Darcy was the only person without prior knowledge of mythology and who didn't really know about wormholes and care for the science stuff. She was the average person, which is sometimes needed in films. As I said, the favreau of the Thor films, or the C-3PO/R2D2, I could go on and on. Her purpose was to say what we were all thinking and wanted to say. Unnecessary? Sure. But fun? Yes.
Yeah, she was the only one without knowledge etc etc. My question... so what? What did that aspect of her character actually do in the movie? I mean, other than mispronounce Mjonlir. I asked you this before and you haven't said anything Dar-Dar's layman aspect really did.

Now, if you found her funny, then good (for you, she had my head in pain from so much eye-rolling). But her as the layman who contributed with the human side of the story, nah.

Quote:
Oh, and as far as the natural funny goes. She was naturally funny. Thor's actions were natural, though at times less I would argue. However, nothing that was distracting.

Agree to disagree...and enjoy the the darn movie! Darn DC fans I swear lol. I'm sure the Green Lantern will give you all that you are looking for. You have Reynolds to look forward to after all. Kidding I'm both a DC & Marvel fan.
Ha. I've seen one of the GL trailers and I saw a lot of the same things I'm complaining about in this very thread ("Whoa!" "I know!").

Just to be fair, many superhero movies suffer from this.

Quote:
Man, make a decision.

Last edited by El Payaso; 05-12-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #123
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Ok, can we just continue discussing funny parts of the movie (the reason this thread was started)?

That discussion is utterly unhelpful

Payaso, you're bordering on trolling here

If you didn't find Thor funny, then why post in the "Funniest Scene" thread??

Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #124
Superhero 101
DESI

Another funny scene was when Thor says goodbye To Jane Darcy and Selvig Darcy and Selvig after having coffee Selvig and Darcy kind of do like a little curtsey

Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #125
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

The part immediately before that, where Thor kisses Jane's hand and she pauses before giggling like a 5-year-old, was one of my favorite chuckle-worthy scenes, too.