The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #101
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
no, i said that his actions left no lasting effects... not that he succeeded as a villain... which is true. he was a pretty average villain and was helped in large part due to the fact that thor was acting like a prepubescent child at the start of the movie... he just had to have his candy.
To call Loki a villain is doing a disservice to the character. He isn't a fully fledged villain yet. This is the story of how he becomes a real villain.

He doesn't actually threaten anyones life until the last encounter with Thor.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #102
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

cool, Here's what Walt Simonson thought of Thor as posted over in the Thor Message boards

Quote:
Weezie and I enjoyed it a lot. I thought the casting was dead on. Chris made a great Thor, and Tom was a Loki you could actually root for even toward the end of the film. That said, I would like to have seen more of some of the supporting characters. Thought they were pretty cool, and felt like I hadn't had enough of them. However, in a fairly brief role, I thought Idris Elba made a seriously impressive Heimdall.

And of course, I was amused to see a couple of bits from my run in the movie.

Best/Walter

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #103
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

/Film Review (Podcast-Featured Review starts at 39:15 mark)
http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep...ally-rad-show/

Spill.com Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRq86j1CTTA

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #104
Project862006
Banned User

a thing i noticed what liked about thor so much was that it was different because most super hero movies have a guy who gets his ability

- radioactive spider,gamma radiation,super soldier serum,makes his hero gear like ironman and batman,power ring,etc.

So it was cool to see a hero who already has his power and ability but needs to be humbled

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #105
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

^That's a great post and rings true.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #106
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I really hope we get a sequel to this as I cant wait to see more from character and I dont think even Avengers will satiate that want. 9/10.
Glad to hear that you liked it Jamon and same here, I'm probably more excited see Thor in another standalone film than in The Avengers.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #107
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

My review:

Best blatant breakfast cereal product placement since Superman: The Movie!

While it lacked the nuance of Richard Donner's approximation of John Ford mise-en-scène using a box of Cheerios, it did put Kashi's wonderful Go Lean Crunch into the third dimensional realm of cinematic perception. Careful there, Branagh, you wouldn't want to push your audience's recognition of a healthy morning alternative into a near post-modern awakening of the film's artifice.

Terence Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #108
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I dunno, as much as i'd love another Thor film, we've seen so many standalone Superhero films in the last 15 years. The Avengers is going to change the whole world as far as Supe films go. The MCU, no matter how many references we've seen to it, will not wholly exist in the minds of the public (or even fans like us, for that matter) until the moment we see all these titans of the genre standing side by side. That is going to blow open the whole concept of superhero films. Then things like Thor 2 won't just seem like a sequel anymore, but a chapter in a real characters life. It's going to trigger a massive evolution in the way we look at these characters. I even think it would do them well to eventually lose sequel numbers in the movie titles and make it just like the comics, with 'Character Name: Movie Title'

Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #109
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence Hill
My review:

Best blatant breakfast cereal product placement since Superman: The Movie!

While it lacked the nuance of Richard Donner's approximation of John Ford mise-en-scène using a box of Cheerios, it did put Kashi's wonderful Go Lean Crunch into the third dimensional realm of cinematic perception. Careful there, Branagh, you wouldn't want to push your audience's recognition of a healthy morning alternative into a near post-modern awakening of the film's artifice.
I....I don't quite understand this.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #110
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I dunno, as much as i'd love another Thor film, we've seen so many standalone Superhero films in the last 15 years. The Avengers is going to change the whole world as far as Supe films go. The MCU, no matter how many references we've seen to it, will not wholly exist in the minds of the public (or even fans like us, for that matter) until the moment we see all these titans of the genre standing side by side.
There's another obstacle Marvel has after they release Avengers. After audiences finally grasp the concept of a shared universe and a string of collected narrative spread through stand alone films... Marvel will have to educate people that not all Marvel films will share in these built-up, larger crossovers. Especially once they launch the supernatural and street-level characters...

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #111
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

But that seems like more of an enhancement to me than a potential hurdle. First of all, they won't lose all connectivity because I can see a lot of those street level characters being connected, but simply having the cross over references visible in that world will carry the weight of the MCU. Seeing debris left over from whatever disaster occurs in Avengers, newspapers headlines, characters talking about them...

Also, it would be GREAT motivation for lower tiered characters like Luke Cage. Imagine this dude, growing up in a dodgy neighbourhood and a troubled life getting superpowers. All everyone is talking about is The Avengers, who saved the world, and how they're real life Superheroes, and all Luke see's is a community that needs help. It would a great way, he could almost work in the streets out of some kind of resentment, making him more like the community service superhero. Cleaning up the streets to make it safe for families and kids.

Marvel can really cut their own niche with all these different characters that play into each other.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #112
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I dunno, as much as i'd love another Thor film, we've seen so many standalone Superhero films in the last 15 years. The Avengers is going to change the whole world as far as Supe films go. The MCU, no matter how many references we've seen to it, will not wholly exist in the minds of the public (or even fans like us, for that matter) until the moment we see all these titans of the genre standing side by side. That is going to blow open the whole concept of superhero films. Then things like Thor 2 won't just seem like a sequel anymore, but a chapter in a real characters life. It's going to trigger a massive evolution in the way we look at these characters. I even think it would do them well to eventually lose sequel numbers in the movie titles and make it just like the comics, with 'Character Name: Movie Title'
True, but I still feel the same way because after all, I'm a Thor fan first and Marvel fan second.

Quote:
But that seems like more of an enhancement to me than a potential hurdle. First of all, they won't lose all connectivity because I can see a lot of those street level characters being connected, but simply having the cross over references visible in that world will carry the weight of the MCU. Seeing debris left over from whatever disaster occurs in Avengers, newspapers headlines, characters talking about them...

Also, it would be GREAT motivation for lower tiered characters like Luke Cage. Imagine this dude, growing up in a dodgy neighbourhood and a troubled life getting superpowers. All everyone is talking about is The Avengers, who saved the world, and how they're real life Superheroes, and all Luke see's is a community that needs help. It would a great way, he could almost work in the streets out of some kind of resentment, making him more like the community service superhero. Cleaning up the streets to make it safe for families and kids.

Marvel can really cut their own niche with all these different characters that play into each other.
Good point, I can't wait to see how the events of the Avengers film affects the world for characters like Luke Cage, he's one of my favorite heroes as well and I can't wait to see his film.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 05-14-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #113
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
This only makes sense to us because we read comics. Average Joes and Janes will only assume that the next string of movies will automatically tie together as well, because they have no other frame of reference to tell them otherwise. That's why Feige is already trying to clear up this issue in recent interviews. He KNOWS they're going to get hung up on the crossover element of Avengers once they finally *get it*, for better and for worse.

Quote:
Also, it would be GREAT motivation for lower tiered characters like Luke Cage.
It would be so much better though if they kept the street level characters on TV and/or in smaller budgeted films (and I'm talking less than $100 million per). As cool as Luke Cage is, a film about him would get murdered within a summer or winter release frame.

Quote:
Yeah, but they need to start moving out of Avengers-only fodder as soon as they can. By the time Iron Man 3 and Ant-Man come out, it will be 2013 and there will have been 5 years of this stuff in just one sandbox. They need to get some other conceptual areas setup as quickly as possible before people start assuming there's nowhere else to go outside dudes in costumes beating each other up in New York. Thor was a good start, though.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #114
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Tell you one thing I hate about Thor now, in retrospect? Idris Elba as Heimdall stops him from being Luke Cage. He was my number one choice for about the last 6 years. If Tyrese Gibson gets the role, I will actually go on a killing spree.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #115
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Hill
This only makes sense to us because we read comics. Average Joes and Janes will only assume that the next string of movies will automatically tie together as well, because they have no other frame of reference to tell them otherwise. That's why Feige is already trying to clear up this issue in recent interviews. He KNOWS they're going to get hung up on the crossover element of Avengers once they finally *get it*, for better and for worse.
But who cares whether they go into it not fully knowing what to expect? Did people know properly about the MCU with Iron Man 1 and Hulk other than fans? What matters is whether they like it coming out of the film.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #116
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Tell you one thing I hate about Thor now, in retrospect? Idris Elba as Heimdall stops him from being Luke Cage. He was my number one choice for about the last 6 years. If Tyrese Gibson gets the role, I will actually go on a killing spree.
There's always Isaiah Mustafa and he strikes me as more of a "Luke Cage" than Idris Elba, but Elba was definately my second choice.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #117
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Elba gave the indication it did nothing to impede his getting Luke Cage and that they're still talking to him about playing other MU characters. Much like re-using Ray Stevenson and then talking to him about potentially returning as The Punisher, Marvel doesn't seem too worried about re-casting in the same universe of films so long as they're very unrecognizable from role to role.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #118
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
But who cares whether they go into it not fully knowing what to expect? Did people know properly about the MCU with Iron Man 1 and Hulk other than fans? What matters is whether they like it coming out of the film.
Because they're figuring out that all these movies up until now connect, but later they'll have to learn that some do and some don't. When you start introducing a gray space for how people are supposed to interact and interpret how they see or analyze films, they can tend to get irritated and that can negatively impact Marvel Studios from a PR point.

For instance, say Jane goes to a movie in 2014 and it's not an Avengers-style film and she doesn't like it. Suddenly she's frustrated because she doesn't understand why the Marvel Studios movie isn't like the other Marvel Studios movies and so now she doesn't know if she can trust them. Not everyone is going to like every concept, as evidenced by critics who admitted not liking anything Asgard-related in the Thor film. Unfortunately, when you start marketing a lot of movies in a way that infers they're all part of the same thing, they tend not to like it when that starts to change. Look at the blowback on Temple of Doom or Ocean's Twelve.

All I'm saying is, never underestimate the needlessly whiny and easily confused mainstream audience and their expectations of getting the same product every time.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #119
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Hill View Post
Elba gave the indication it did nothing to impede his getting Luke Cage and that they're still talking to him about playing other MU characters. Much like re-using Ray Stevenson and then talking to him about potentially returning as The Punisher, Marvel doesn't seem too worried about re-casting in the same universe of films so long as they're very unrecognizable from role to role.
Punisher Warzone and Thor aren't in the same universe by the way, Punisher Warzone isn't apart of the MCU.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #120
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
There's always Isaiah Mustafa
I'm gonna have to see this guy in something other than an Old Spice commercial before I become as smitten with him as everyone else seems to be.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #121
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Hill View Post
Because they're figuring out that all these movies up until now connect, but later they'll have to learn that some do and some don't. When you start introducing a gray space for how people are supposed to interact and interpret how they see or analyze films, they can tend to get irritated and that can negatively impact Marvel Studios from a PR point.

For instance, say Jane goes to a movie in 2014 and it's not an Avengers-style film and she doesn't like it. Suddenly she's frustrated because she doesn't understand why the Marvel Studios movie isn't like the other Marvel Studios movies and so now she doesn't know if she can trust them. Not everyone is going to like every concept, as evidenced by critics who admitted not liking anything Asgard-related in the Thor film. Unfortunately, when you start marketing a lot of movies in a way that infers they're all part of the same thing, they tend not to like it when that starts to change. Look at the blowback on Temple of Doom or Ocean's Twelve.

All I'm saying is, never underestimate the needlessly whiny and easily confused mainstream audience and their expectations of getting the same product every time.
Feige has already said that 90% of the films will all take place in the same universe, they will just stop being so heavy handed about it and not tie them together directly. There may be some easter eggs or winks but thats about it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #122
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I'm gonna have to see this guy in something other than an Old Spice commercial before I become as smitten with him as everyone else seems to be.
Same here, don't get the hype.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #123
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm not saying I'm heads over heels for the guy to be Luke Cage or anything, I was just saying that he's VERY likely to get the role.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #124
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm not saying I'm heads over heels for the guy to be Luke Cage or anything, I was just saying that he's VERY likely to get the role.
I hope not. I agree that he needs to do more than some commercials to get looked at for something like that.

I like the guy, he seems really cool, but lets get a real actor in there and do the character justice. To me casting him as Cage would be like casting a wrestler in a superhero role. Just no need for it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #125
marcvader
Lurker #1

Why is he very likely to get the role if he's never acted in anything nor has any bankability ? U think the guy has a shot with all the other actors available.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote