The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #51
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 1

TIH couldn't have sunk them. It was only $35M or so away from breaking even in theaters(if my 2X budget rule pans out) and that is easily mitigated by what a runaway success Iron Man was. and TIH eventually DID become profitable once DVD, TV rights got included(probably a tidy profit but one never the less). And that's not even counting other ancillaries like toy tie ins, etc. TIH may have made them take stock and realize that one good bomb could wipe them out so they opted for the security that Disney was offering.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #52
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I'm still not keen about the movies that are going to be made by Marvel Studios in the future. Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange? NO THANKS.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #53
Blackman
C'mon Son

Im waiting for Black Panther and Im open to the rest

Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #54
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
I'm still not keen about the movies that are going to be made by Marvel Studios in the future. Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange? NO THANKS.
Since the rights of Spiderman, X-Men, and F4 are all controlled by rival studios, what other movies do you think Marvel Studio can do? Btw, you left out Black Panther, Luke Cage, and possible spinoffs like SHIELD, Hawkeye, and Black Widow.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #55
Chewy
REDACTED

Made about 4M domestically Wednesday. Worldwide total is around 275M.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #56
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Eh, they're all great characters with loads of potential, so I'm looking forward to them.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #57
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Not sold on Ant Man but I'm looking forward to Iron Fist and Doctor Strange. Not familiar with either character, but both concepts are awesome for cinema.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #58
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Why not? All great characters with great mythologies and bags of potential.

You telling me you wouldn't want to see a bad ass martial arts/mysticism movie?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #59
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Since the rights of Spiderman, X-Men, and F4 are all controlled by rival studios, what other movies do you think Marvel Studio can do? Btw, you left out Black Panther, Luke Cage, and possible spinoffs like SHIELD, Hawkeye, and Black Widow.
Luke Cage? Black Panther? Hawkeye? Nope. I would really like see Vision get the big screen treatment. I'm a sucker for Scarlett Johanson as the Black Widow.

A Shield movie with the Hellcarrier involved? I would be sold.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #60
The Morningstar
Banned User

You wouldn't want to see a Black Panther movie either?

Things like Black Panther, Iron Fist and Doctor Strange have heaps of cinematic potential. Even if they weren't based on comic books those concepts are brilliant.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #61
marcvader
Lurker #1

Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Ant Man top my list. Ant Man because of Wasp, Ultron, and Vision. Ironfist and Cage only interest me if its Heroes for Hire.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #62
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Luke Cage? Black Panther? Hawkeye? Nope. I would really like see Vision get the big screen treatment. I'm a sucker for Scarlett Johanson as the Black Widow.

A Shield movie with the Hellcarrier involved? I would be sold.
I'm hoping the Vision can make it into an Avengers sequel, if there is one. He's kind of a second-generation Avenger, so they never seem to want to start with him on the team.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #63
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Good hold for Wed, I figured the drop would be over 20% with Tuesday going up the way it did. Should easily make the 18M for the week that I was hoping, perhaps a little more.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #64
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
And they have dozens of properties that they can adapt to film. If one bombs, they will not dwell, they will move on to the next property.
Not really. Look at which of their comics sell. If they can't get Thor and Cap to sell, how are they going to get Ant-man to sell?

Like I say Marvel's top properties are with other studios, so if they can't bank with Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk and Avengers, they are going to have to hope that Disney buys back the rights to those other characters.

They moved on from Hulk because it did worse the second time around, and they still had Thor, Cap, Avengers and the Iron Man sequels to push.

What I want to dispel is that Marvel operates like it does with it's Fox properties. The whole point of Marvel Studios is they fund the projects not the distributors. Fantastic Four was shelved because the money was being fronted by Fox.

So it's a misconseption that Paramount has any standing on if this movie gets a sequel, which is why if Feige says it's getting a sequel, it's getting a sequel. Marvel Studios is the ones putting up the money, not Paramount, they only pay to distribute the film and take a cut of the profits. With Disney owning Marvel, Marvel Studios still foots the bill for the development, but Disney can cover distribution, which is much cheaper and the Disney corp can recover 100% of the profits.

The only way Disney gets concerned is if Marvel is unprofitable, and Marvel Studios is just one division of Marvel. If Marvel becomes unprofitable and other sectors of Disney are having to make up for their losses, then they will probably spin them off, or the board of directors could force Marvel Studios to be absorbed into Disney Pictures.

My main point is people act like the old rules are still in play, and they are not.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #65
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I want a ****ing Dr. Strange movie.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #66
Raiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I want a ****ing Dr. Strange movie.
With Johnny Depp, hopefully.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #67
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
They moved on from Hulk because it did worse the second time around, and they still had Thor, Cap, Avengers and the Iron Man sequels to push.
TIH did outgross Hulk domestically and internationally, even if it was because of inflation. Regardless, Feige noted "One was to make even a dollar more than the first one did, so we could justify that we had done it from a financial aspect, and the other one was to bring a Hulk to the screen that a broader fanbase could enjoy. The good news is, we accomplished both." Furthermore, he noted Hulk would not have a sequel until The Avengers, which would further increase interest in the character. It's the same situation with Thor and Cap, Iron Man could have the 2010 sequel because his film became a bona fide franchise. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/159...dent-yes.jhtml)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite confident Thor will return in 2014.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #68
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Agreed, Avengers will definitely be a catalyst to promote all four of the Marvel Studios projects they have currently done.

Yes TIH, did gross more than Hulk. People thought it a good film, but because it opened lower, it really could have done better. Needless to say, I wouldn't call it an out and out failure. I know few people who say the movie was terrible.

The main point I'm trying to make is Marvel is calling all the shots on if the film gets the sequel, and most people don't seem to understand that. If they don't make a sequel it is Marvel's decision not Paramount's. Disney also has very limited say in what Marvel does/doesn't do. They are running Marvel just like they run Pixar, as a partner company more than a subsidiary.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #69
Superhero 101
DESI

Do you guys think that Thor can make 250 Million in the foreign market? because i now think Thor will make about 160 million domestically and hit maybe 250 internationally hopefully making about 400 million

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #70
Chewy
REDACTED

Yes, of course. It will blow past 250M OS. It'll challenge 300M and may hit it depending on legs.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #71
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Made about 4M domestically Wednesday. Worldwide total is around 275M.
So that puts it's totals from Mon-Wed at what? I'm a tad behind

Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #72
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
So that puts it's totals from Mon-Wed at what? I'm a tad behind
around 15M. Like I say it should do 18M from M-T quite easily which is what I was hoping for.

Things look very good for a 30-32M run over the weekend. I've seen some project higher, but it looks to have legs.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #73
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
around 15M. Like I say it should do 18M from M-T quite easily which is what I was hoping for.

Things look very good for a 30-32M run over the weekend. I've seen some project higher, but it looks to have legs.
Excellente!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #74
Raiden

Quote:

Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #75
marcvader
Lurker #1

Moviegoers are definitely enjoying this movie.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Closed Thread