The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #451
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Having just finished ADwD myself, man oh man do I hope Jon somehow gets even with Bowen Marsh and the others who cut away on him. However the idea of his soul being caretaken in Ghost is a cool idea too.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So what of this letter from Ramsay then? I do think it has to be a bluff that Stannis isn't really defeated. Such a despicable person this Bastard really is. Looking forward to seeing him get his just desserts. And the Wyman Manderly theory that he had those 3 Freys killed and used as Pies at Ramsay's Wedding was hilarious and awesome at the same time. Bloody Freys thinking they can use names like Rhaegar for example. The arrogance of that family.


And the more I read the story so far the more I dislike Robert Baratheon too. Now bring on The Winds of Winter, please

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."
FVD is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #452
El Bastardo
Literary elitist
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,045
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
Having just finished ADwD myself, man oh man do I hope Jon somehow gets even with Bowen Marsh and the others who cut away on him. However the idea of his soul being caretaken in Ghost is a cool idea too.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So what of this letter from Ramsay then? I do think it has to be a bluff that Stannis isn't really defeated. Such a despicable person this Bastard really is. Looking forward to seeing him get his just desserts. And the Wyman Manderly theory that he had those 3 Freys killed and used as Pies at Ramsay's Wedding was hilarious and awesome at the same time. Bloody Freys thinking they can use names like Rhaegar for example. The arrogance of that family.


And the more I read the story so far the more I dislike Robert Baratheon too. Now bring on The Winds of Winter, please
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I say it's a bluff. Furthermore, I think it's actually from Roose, because if it is a bluff, it's more clever than I give Ramsay credit for. But a Theon chapter from The Winds of Winter is up on GRRM's website, and I think something in it made me rethink that, but now I can't remember.

I don't think Roose and Ramsay make it out of this alive. And while I don't think Stannis will survive the series, I don't think this is the end of his path.

El Bastardo is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #453
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

And all this R'hlorr Lord of Light nonsense is getting beyond annoying. Queen Selyse being the blindest one of all and damn, couldn't she use a slap in the face!!

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."
FVD is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #454
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,303
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

It does come in handy though, especially if you're a hulking barbarian pirate seeking to marry the most beautiful woman in the world.

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #455
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
It does come in handy though, especially if you're a hulking barbarian pirate seeking to marry the most beautiful woman in the world.
LOL so true. Really digging Victarion. And another character that I've really come to like a lot lately is Ser Barristan Selmy. Looking forward to seeing him as Arstan Whitebeard plus his big reveal in the next Season. And I'll be interested to see how Strong Belwas turns out to be too. Just watched the Ser Barristan Selmy quits like a boss clip on YouTube. Might have to rewatch Season 1 sometime soon.

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."

Last edited by FVD; 08-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.
FVD is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #456
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR
 
CrypticOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,740
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Yeah, the Greyjoys have become my favorite characters. Especially Victarion.

__________________
ALWAYS SUPPORTING:
DENVER BRONCOS | HIP-HOP & HEAVY METAL | MMA
CrypticOne is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #457
El Bastardo
Literary elitist
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,045
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

I love R'hllor.

El Bastardo is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #458
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And I do suppose we all know that Theon knows that Bran and Rickon actually are alive yeah? Obviously he ain't going to spill that out just yet.

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."
FVD is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #459
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR
 
CrypticOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,740
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I wonder where the hell Rickon is?! Did Wyman tell Davos where they were and he went to go get him?!

__________________
ALWAYS SUPPORTING:
DENVER BRONCOS | HIP-HOP & HEAVY METAL | MMA
CrypticOne is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #460
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,303
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Jon has a dream that Shaggydog is eating a unicorn. Unicorn's are known to have lived on the island of Skagos, where all the cannibals live in the North.

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #461
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury
 
Spidey-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sudden Valley
Posts: 39,104
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I wonder where the hell Rickon is?! Did Wyman tell Davos where they were and he went to go get him?!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah, Rickon and Osha are on Skagos according to Wex

Spidey-Bat is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #462
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

I think I'm going to reread the books in a month or so. Hate to admit it but I have only read the 2nd half of A Game of Thrones mainly due to the TV Series. Better go over what details the show may have omitted which in turn, I am rewatching Season 1 as I post this.

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."
FVD is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #463
El Bastardo
Literary elitist
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,045
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And I do suppose we all know that Theon knows that Bran and Rickon actually are alive yeah? Obviously he ain't going to spill that out just yet.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He knows he didn't kill them, at least. I don't think he knows they -are- alive, because I don't think he figured out it was Bran talking to him through the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
I think I'm going to reread the books in a month or so. Hate to admit it but I have only read the 2nd half of A Game of Thrones mainly due to the TV Series. Better go over what details the show may have omitted which in turn, I am rewatching Season 1 as I post this.
Why would you read only the second half of a book?

El Bastardo is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #464
FVD
Jolly Loves You
 
FVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Oh at the time I was just keen to find out what happens next which is why I skipped the first half of the book. Won't be doing that again any time soon!

__________________
"Stop, don't run it gets easier before we get carried away, and I swear you won't want to leave here once it's done, now pretend that it's only a game ...."
FVD is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #465
PWN3R
mowing lawns
 
PWN3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mr. Cluck's
Posts: 19,950
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books


__________________
^ all typoes are intentional


“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #466
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Has anyone ever entertained the possibility that Jon Snow is NOT Ned's son but
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
in fact the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark? And that his "promise" to his sister was to protect him? Just a thought I had while reading AGoT

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #467
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury
 
Spidey-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sudden Valley
Posts: 39,104
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Actually, most people seem to accept that theory. You'll find even more clues in ACOK and ASOS.

Spidey-Bat is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #468
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Actually, most people seem to accept that theory. You'll find even more clues in ACOK and ASOS.
I had assumed as much. Awesome

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #469
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury
 
Spidey-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sudden Valley
Posts: 39,104
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

If you don't mind reading spoiling yourself on stuff in the later books, you can read more here:

http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chr...s_parents.html

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/...Snows_parents/

Spidey-Bat is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #470
El Bastardo
Literary elitist
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,045
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Has anyone ever entertained the possibility that Jon Snow is NOT Ned's son but
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
in fact the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark? And that his "promise" to his sister was to protect him? Just a thought I had while reading AGoT


Always good to see close readers.

El Bastardo is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #471
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post


Always good to see close readers.
thanks a lot, Bastard

I'm obviously a fan of the show, but I've been writing my own fantasy series for about 10 years so I haven't really read anything since Lord of the Rings, though someone once suggested ASoIaF to me once. I got AGoT for my birthday and I'm really enjoying it so far, it makes me want to step up my writing which is saying a lot. I haven't had that in a long time.

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #472
El Bastardo
Literary elitist
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,045
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Take a look at Joe Abercrombie sometime, and Paul Kearney as well.

The First Law trilogy for Abercrombie - The Monarchies of God for Kearney.

El Bastardo is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #473
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Will do.

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #474
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men
 
Roose Bolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,303
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
thanks a lot, Bastard

I'm obviously a fan of the show, but I've been writing my own fantasy series for about 10 years so I haven't really read anything since Lord of the Rings, though someone once suggested ASoIaF to me once. I got AGoT for my birthday and I'm really enjoying it so far, it makes me want to step up my writing which is saying a lot. I haven't had that in a long time.
So you've finally gotten around to them ey Senty? Bout time

__________________
"The fox escaped and on my way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
Roose Bolton is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #475
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
So you've finally gotten around to them ey Senty? Bout time
Haha, I haven't had the money to get them, but I got AGoT for my birthday. I can honestly say that it challenges me as a writer, and I've taken some real risks with my second novel. But that's for another thread

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.