The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #826
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Just finished reading it. Basically the Dance of the Dragons was pretty ****ing intense and tragic. I mean, mind you it's just a Maester describing the events with occasional moments of narrative here and there, but it did a good job of really showing just how crippling and horrid the war was on House Targaryen and how painful it was for family members with every escalation of vengeance between Rhaenyra and Aegon II. The scene with Cheese and Blood and Haelena was completely ****ed up.

We learn a fair bit about the actual dragons themselves as well, the dragon riders were pretty cool as were the scenes describing how they would tear into each other in the air and land. Really brutal stuff.

Best thing coming out of it was Daemon Targaryen, what an amazing bloody character. Can't wait to see more of him the World of Ice and Fire book next year.

Last edited by Roose Bolton; 11-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #827
Victarion
Cut

Does Martin use the Maester a simply a framing device? Meaning, is the meat of the Targaryen story told from the viewpoints of the characters...?

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #828
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

It's kind of like a Maester explaining the story from reports, but at the same time the story goes from being a broad type explanation of the conflict to showing some of the really personal moments between the Targaryens, such as Rhaenrya with her sons, or Daemon and his nephew. So yeah, it's like a weird combination.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #829
Victarion
Cut

I see. I'll be getting that collection. Right now I'm rereading A Clash of Kings. Seems like Robb could've saved himself some grief by throwing in with either Renly or Stannis.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #830
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
It's kind of like a Maester explaining the story from reports, but at the same time the story goes from being a broad type explanation of the conflict to showing some of the really personal moments between the Targaryens, such as Rhaenrya with her sons, or Daemon and his nephew. So yeah, it's like a weird combination.
I might need to pick it up then. Some of the reviews were pretty luke warm on it.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #831
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
I see. I'll be getting that collection. Right now I'm rereading A Clash of Kings. Seems like Robb could've saved himself some grief by throwing in with either Renly or Stannis.
Is your avvy the three-eyed crow?

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The dark side. And the light."
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #832
Victarion
Cut

I googled

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Bloodraven and this image came up. I think it was titled Brynden Blackfyre

Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #833
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford The Sly View Post
I might need to pick it up then. Some of the reviews were pretty luke warm on it.
It's pretty interesting, the main problem is that it's clearly edited down to fit with the anthology and not everything gets answered.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #834
Victarion
Cut

Regarding Cersei's trial

I think Ser Robert Strong will prove victorious against the Faith's champion. In rereading A Feast for Crows, Cersei is starting to remind me of the Mad King. Whereas the Mad King was going to burn down King's Landing with wildfire, I think Cersei's "wildfire" will be in the form of the Faith's followers. Word of her alliance with Qyburn and the nature of Ser Robert would be the fire's ignition. Cersei's death will be by Jaime's sword. Possibly in the interest of protecting Tommen.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #835
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Just finished re-reading all five books.

Now....TWOW comes out tomorrow yes?

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #836
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Now....TWOW comes out tomorrow yes?

H.E.(R?)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #837
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
So yes? Cool.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #838
Victarion
Cut

The guy that does the audiobooks said that George said that he's almost done with another "episode." I look for TWOW release to coincide with the end of S4.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #839
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

That soon, you think?

H.E.(R?)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #840
Victarion
Cut

He's been working on it for long enough...then again I learned that he apparently released some Young Griff chapters long before the HBO series started. Care to throw around some Azor Ahai theories?

Seems like the majority favor Jon Snow as Azor Ahai. If this is the case, do you really see him serving "Good" or "Evil" exclusively? I could see this figure trying to bring justice to Westeros, which inadvertently weakens humankind and makes it easier to the Others to triumph. This hinges on my theory that the Others are a sort of natural occurence necessary to Planetos's survival. A balance to the dragons' Fire.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #841
Solidus
Kylo Ren

I actually agree. I think he may even be further along with ADOS then we think too. I mean he did finish ASOS compared to ACOK quite quickly. But ya I think it will be summer 2014 for AWOW.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #842
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

You guys are far more optimistic than I am. Even when we get a confirmed date, I'm expecting it to be like "Haha! Enjoy the year-long wait!"

H.E.(R?)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #843
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
You guys are far more optimistic than I am. Even when we get a confirmed date, I'm expecting it to be like "Haha! Enjoy the year-long wait!"
Who says you are getting a copy of it anyways when it comes out? I'm buying all of them near where you live!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #844
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

H.E.(R?)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #845
Victarion
Cut

My speculation and optimism are based on George not wanting the show to finish the story that he started.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #846
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
My speculation and optimism are based on George not wanting the show to finish the story that he started.
That's what I think. By season 5 (2015) they will probably be done with all the material (or almost all) of AFFC and ADWD. So I think if they are going with their plan of 8 seasons, season 6 (2016) They will be fully going into TWOW. By Season 7 (2017) they will probably be going into (near the end) some of the stuff from ADOS. So I agree he does not want them to over take him. He wants people to read the books first.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #847
Victarion
Cut

I just had a moment of self-realization.

Victarion beat his wife to death.
Victarion's arm now resembles a roast pig and gives off smoke.
The ritual that gave Victarion his new arm was performed at sea.
Moquorro sees a great future for Victarion in service to Rhllor.
Victarion's wife is an analog to Nissa Nissa, the arm is the smoke, the sea provides the salt...Victarion Greyjoy is Azor Ahai reborn.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #848
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

A lot of people can fit that prophecy to be Azor Ahai.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #849
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Victarion is
undead.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #850
Baramos
Side-Kick

The Last Hero, The Prince Who Was Promised, and Azor Ahai have never been confirmed by Martin to all be the same prophecy. Thus it's possible to have multiple characters turn out to be any of these characters. Obviously
Jon and Dany are both contenders, and the name of the series implies they are going to meet...that said, it would be like Martin to make Victarion be the true hero of the entire series or something, haha

The Princess and the Queen was great, I didn't have the money to buy the whole anthology, though, so I read it at Barnes and Noble. I kind of wanted to read the Joe Abercrombie and Pat Rothfuss stories, too, though, so maybe I'll pick it up eventually.

Closed Thread