Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #851
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Realistically, I see
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Victarion's courtship of Dany going quite smoothly. He's essentially an Ironborn version of Drogo. A burly raider with a massive following of reavers. I expect Victarion to comically screw up his marriage to Dany by blowing the horn, driving the dragons berserk (thus fudging Euron's plot), and dying a dragon-related death.

If you want marvel babbies to stop torchering Idris Elba, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #852
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I'm able to finally audiobook again and am on book 5, holy **** this is awesome. About to get to reeks chapter and will have a unique perspective as I already know who it is due to the show. Anyone care to share what that revelation was like at first?

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #853
Victarion
Cut

I had seen the show by the time I got to Book 5. Those Reek chapters were visually impressive, haunting and had an almost fairy tale feel to them in terms of atmosphere. I also chuckled a bit at some of the Reek rhymes.

"Reek Reek it rhymes with sneak."

"It certainly does..."

If you want marvel babbies to stop torchering Idris Elba, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #854
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I'm able to finally audiobook again and am on book 5, holy **** this is awesome. About to get to reeks chapter and will have a unique perspective as I already know who it is due to the show. Anyone care to share what that revelation was like at first?
As I recall that first Reek chapter was one of the leaked ones before the book came out. I thought it was very cool to know the Theon was still alive. He obviously still has plans for him. The show still hasn't caught up to where he is at the beginning of ADWD so I don't want to say too much but his chapters are some of the best and most disturbing things in ADWD.

Last edited by Buford The Sly; 12-31-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #855
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Interesting bufford, I'm really liking the Jon Snow chapters this time as they are awesome but I am worried for the poor lad as he continues to not make many friends.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #856
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Realistically, I see
Victarion's courtship of Dany going quite smoothly. He's essentially an Ironborn version of Drogo. A burly raider with a massive following of reavers. I expect Victarion to comically screw up his marriage to Dany by blowing the horn, driving the dragons berserk (thus fudging Euron's plot), and dying a dragon-related death.
My prediction
the two will not meet (on that side of the world at least). I think by the time Dany makes it back to Meereen with her new Khalasar (if that's her path) Vicky Greyjoy (along with Tyrion) will have made off back to Westeros with at least one of the Dragons (probably both). She'll have to go find a way to get them back (maybe though the Shadowlands). But I don't think she'll arrive on Westeros with an Army. All the prophecy stuff points to her going back to go forward.
I think Vicky Greyjoy will go directly for the Iron Throne with those Dragons (cause that's how he roles). It will probably be occupied by Young Griff. I say all this because one of the slightly vague spoilers GRRM let us know at one of his readings is that there will be several different people sit the Throne before the end of the series. (Poor Tommen)

Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #857
Victarion
Cut

If that is the case

the High Sparrow's response should be interesting. I foresee him becoming a major power in Westeros if the coming winter brings the populace back into a dark ages sort of mindset. People flocking to his faith when the dead start walking and all. As it is, a heathen with a R'hllor-touched arm, theoretical dragons, and a red priest won't go over well with the High Sparrow.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #858
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
If that is the case

the High Sparrow's response should be interesting. I foresee him becoming a major power in Westeros if the coming winter brings the populace back into a dark ages sort of mindset. People flocking to his faith when the dead start walking and all. As it is, a heathen with a R'hllor-touched arm, theoretical dragons, and a red priest won't go over well with the High Sparrow.
Re: The High Sparrow
I think it's pretty clear that Cersei's trial will have a lot to do with how the faith's role in all of this will play out. I can see a scenario where the outcome of the trial will lead to total chaos (armed faith vs. gold cloaks) in King's Landing opening the door for Young Griff to swoop in and take the Throne ending the Lannister/Baratheon reign. The one thing GRRM likes to do is spoil the long term plans for his characters (so Littlefinger is probably in for a doozy). However Cersei seems to be one of his more adaptable characters which leads me to believe that she may survive her trial.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #859
Victarion
Cut

The Battle of Ice...

or, the Battle for Winterfell. Roose is fielding Ramsay, along with his Freys. I expect that Roose wouldn't be disappointed if Ramsay and his Freys are wiped out by Stannis's men. That way Roose can wash his hands of Walder Frey and sire a trueborn heir without fear of Ramsay smothering the babe. If Stannis does win the battle, could you see him accepting Roose's allegiance There's some historical precedence for a similar battle between some Russians and Crusaders. The Crusaders charged across the frozen lake, the ice broke, and the Russians were able to win.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #860
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I don't see
Stannis accepting Roose's "allegiance" at all if that were the case. Stannis is a smart man, and he knows that 90% of the North hates house Bolton, and Roose, the man who killed Robb, and allowed "Ned's girl" to be raped by his son, would be a liability at best when trying to win over the Northmen. Stannis would burn Roose if he got the chance.

Stannis will probably win the Battle of Ice, and I'm fairly sure defeat the Boltons as well (at least Roose, Ramsay might escape to wreak more havoc down the line.)

His line to Theon in the sample chapter of WoW is very telling IMO, he knows that the frozen lake has been overfished and is fragile. All he needs to do is bloody Bolton (or in this case, Freys) for Manderly and the others to turn on him. I suspect we'll see that in the battle.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #861
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
The Battle of Ice...

or, the Battle for Winterfell. Roose is fielding Ramsay, along with his Freys. I expect that Roose wouldn't be disappointed if Ramsay and his Freys are wiped out by Stannis's men. That way Roose can wash his hands of Walder Frey and sire a trueborn heir without fear of Ramsay smothering the babe. If Stannis does win the battle, could you see him accepting Roose's allegiance There's some historical precedence for a similar battle between some Russians and Crusaders. The Crusaders charged across the frozen lake, the ice broke, and the Russians were able to win.
Yeah the Boltons are toast IMO
however:
GRRM also said in the reading I went to that he hates having to kill his "villains" almost as much as killing his "heroes". Because to him a good character is a good character and sometimes keeping someone around makes things more interesting for the story. Joffrey is kind of the case and point for this. I'm sure there are tons of show watchers still grinding their teeth at Joffrey.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #862
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

If the frozen lake trap is happening, my guess is that the Northmen will have the Freys lead that charge. The Boltons will be between the lake and Manderlys, which is when the latter will strike. I wouldn't be surprised if the Boltons try to spin it that they're double-crossing the Manderlys for Stannis instead of vice-versa.

If a Bolton dies, I think it will be Roose before Ramsay.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #863
Victarion
Cut

Ramsay is an excellent hunter. He's my favorite villain thus far, though I'm looking forward to whatever Euron's going to be doing in TWOW. I think
Jaquen was hired by Euron to infiltrate the Citadel and either recover something for the warlocks, or weaken its defenses for Euron. Either way--looting some valuable book/relic or destroying the Citradel--Euron would be showing his solidarity with the warlocks.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #864
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Ramsay is an excellent hunter. He's my favorite villain thus far, though I'm looking forward to whatever Euron's going to be doing in TWOW. I think
Jaquen was hired by Euron to infiltrate the Citadel and either recover something for the warlocks, or weaken its defenses for Euron. Either way--looting some valuable book/relic or destroying the Citradel--Euron would be showing his solidarity with the warlocks.
Then why was he on his way to the wall? I don't think a faceless man is easy to catch. I subscribe to the theory that
he's after Sam's horn
however Euron and the warlocks are probably in cahoots. I think the faceless men are ASOIAF's most dangerous organization. And they don't like dragons.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #865
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Y'know, I've been fishing other forums to see how people rank the Hands in the series to determine who's arguably the best advisor/power behind the throne in the series. Since Stannis being the last king standing of the Wot5k, even if Joffrey's thrown is still the most powerful, was a surprise, it was fun to see everyone else's argument.

So who's the best Hand of a King in your opinion?

I'm going to argue Tyrion, followed by Davos, followed by Tywin. Davos clearly makes the best compliment to his king, and managed to give Stannis the advice he needed to resurrect his campaign. Tywin is the mastermind behind Robb's death and Aerys' final humiliation, but he's dead because he allowed family squabbles to explode beyond his control. Tyrion, on the other hand (heh), went head to head with Cersei, Littlefinger, and a largely hostile court and capital with a minimum of resources beyond what he'd scrapped together from a jail break, and still was a successful hand.

And I know Tywin's probably the favored front runner, but to me the guy has too many clear flaws, not weaknesses or mistakes, that ultimately deconstruct his skill as Hand under Joffrey. Now, I'm willing to concede that chances are Tywin was the best overall Hand if we go with his tenure under Mad King Aerys, but I think he had a significant breakdown after his wife's death that handicaps him compared to his son. We know that Joanna was said to "rule" her husband as much as he ruled the Seven Kingdoms, but I think that's a simplification of probably being his strongest and most complimentary partner during his best days.

If you'll notice, almost all Tywin's darkest deeds are confined to the periods before and after his marriage, from the Reynes and Tarbecks when he was young to the Red Wedding during his twilight years. And we know Joanna clearly had her own savvy and plans, what with her matchmaking with Lady Martell to wed their children and her own preventative measures when the twins got too close. I'd argue that Joanna was the emphatic yin to Tywin's determined yang, helping him see alternatives to his more brutal and unyielding approach, and that her death opened a wound in Tywin that led to his horrible parenting that allowed Cersei and Jaimie to start their ickyness and his sometimes troubling in capability of correctly gauging people.

So Tywin is indirectly responsible for the moronic madman that was Joffrey, the death of Elia Martell under such circumstances that Dorne is perpetually driven against House Baratheon, and eventually his own death and the destruction of the Lannister-Tyrell-Martell alliance. After all, it was a combination of his reluctance to execute the Mountain that allowed Oberyn to challenge and die in combat with him and his backing his daughter in her paranoid attack on Tyrion that allowed Tyrion to use the trial by combat as a gambit to destroy the alliance. And his foolishness in continually mocking Tyrion's wife led to a bad case of death-pooping.

And I'd say Tyrion demonstrates greater empathy and greater adaptability to his father because we've seen how he's managed to maintain alliances and friendships with Bronn, Jamie and Varys in spite of his greater disadvantages. He actually knows people, and that gives him the winning edge in my book.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #866
Victarion
Cut

Tyrion also seemed blind to the fact that Shae was a businesswoman. That kind of willful ignorance is dangerous for a Hand.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #867
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Oh, Tyrion clearly has his own issues and flaws, but I think ADWD shows that he's merely battered in his skills and capabilities, even humbled enough to grow from the experience. He allowed himself to grow too attached to Shae, and he was continually reminding himself of that. Now he seems to have an even better gauge of the people around him. But I think Tywin was either broken a bit by Joanna's death, or simply lacked the empathy necessary for less ruthless and more positive diplomacy. He clearly values fear over love for power and control, while Tyrion has a bitter understanding of how both can be used.

It's why I think Tyrion will probably overcome the shadow of his father the second he teams with Dany, if they do indeed end up allied. She has the undying loyalty and love of thousands of her subjects while having another thousand hating her. I figure that while Tywin would be a horrible Hand for Dany, Tyrion has the flexibility and knowledge to actually help her keep her love and turn that hate back into fear.

The sad fact is that Tyrion at least demonstrated that he chose to let Shae become a weakness, whereas Tywin seems to have actual blindspots he's unaware of. Blindspots big enough to piss Dorne off multiple times and for Jamie and Cersei to screw up (literally.) and big enough with Tyrion he doesn't even think what a desperate, angry man with a crossbow might do if defied, let alone the son he's abandoned and tortured psychologically.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 01-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #868
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

So I got to the point where Young Griffs identity was revealed and wow what a game changer, about halfway through Book 5 now.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #869
antondlt
Fish fingers and custard.

Now on the fifth book. Can't believe that the fourth season's gonna be out soon. )

Old 01-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #870
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
So I got to the point where Young Griffs identity was revealed and wow what a game changer, about halfway through Book 5 now.
It floored me, too.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #871
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
It floored me, too.
I was just like Martin, you sly dog you. Didn't see it coming in anyway.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #872
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

It'll be even better when...

It's revealed Aegon is actually a fake, Blackfyre. And all fans of Dunk and Egg will get some payoff.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #873
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
It'll be even better when...

It's revealed Aegon is actually a fake, Blackfyre. And all fans of Dunk and Egg will get some payoff.
Exactly. I like the
Blackfyres

Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #874
Victarion
Cut

Speaking of Dunk and Egg, are those collected in a single novel, or spread across some of Martin's anthologies?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #875
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Speaking of Dunk and Egg, are those collected in a single novel, or spread across some of Martin's anthologies?
They've talked about it, but as of right now you have to track them all down through the anthologies (which is not that easy). They (the anthologies) may all be downloadable but I haven't tried that.

Closed Thread