The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #876
antondlt
Fish fingers and custard.

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

So, yeah. Just read the chapter about who Young Griff really is.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #877
Drz
Real Hero

I dyed my hair blue because of him, i'm supporting Young Griff and i love the idea of Elephant riders invading Westeros.

I just read the Sworn Sword and loved it, much better than Hedge Knight imo.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #878
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I just got past the Drogon scene in ADWD and was left trying to pick my jaw off the floor. Bad ass.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #879
Victarion
Cut

What's your opinion of Dany's Essos storyline thus far? It's drawn a lot of criticism from various fansites, but I see it as sort of a necessary evil. She's got to learn how to be a ruler. Plus I liked the Sons of the Harpy subplot.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #880
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I hated her chapters because I don't care about Meereen politics; she's a naive ruler and way in over her head. It takes forever for anything to happen and what does happen I usually find uninteresting. It isn't until her later ADWD chapters that things pick up.

Also, came across this on Reddit. It's evidence that Roose was plotting against the Starks as soon as the war began. The most convincing evidence is from his battle with Tywin Lannister at the Trident while Robb went to Riverrun. In a nutshell:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
During the battle, Tyrion notes arrows which began hitting both Stark and Lannister soldiers but can't tell where they're coming from. The banners Tyrion sees at the beginning are those we later know are most loyal to Robb, he never saw the banners of House Bolton. It's likely that Roose had his men in reserve fire volleys, intending to kill both the Stark loyalists and Lannisters.

EDIT: Put House Frey instead of Bolton, House Frey soldiers were on the front lines/vanguard in that battle

Last edited by Spidey-Bat; 01-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #881
Victarion
Cut

In line with the idea of a Bolton turning on a Stark, I've seen a theory that House Bolton's affinity for flaying is tied into their attempts to
match House Stark's recessive talent for warging. Then the poster speculated that Roose is in league with the Others. Yes, it was from the Westeros forums. I like the first half about why flaying's important to the House.

I don't think Dany's going to take the Iron Throne at all. She'll reach Westeros
but the common folk, for the most part, seem to have rallied to the Faith Militant. I can't blame them, given that there's crows like the Bloody Mummers preying on the war-torn towns and settlements. There's no way the High Sparrow would recognize a consort to the Dothraki nor the other heathens from Essos, and possibly the Iron Islands. Plus it was a Targaryen that abolished the Faith Militant. I think (f)Aegon has a better chance of taking the throne and holding it. At the very least, he can talk theology with the High Sparrow and likely gain his favor.

Last edited by Victarion; 01-23-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #882
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
What's your opinion of Dany's Essos storyline thus far? It's drawn a lot of criticism from various fansites, but I see it as sort of a necessary evil. She's got to learn how to be a ruler. Plus I liked the Sons of the Harpy subplot.
I hated her chapters in this book because I feel she is one of the only characters to actually regress in logic but I also feel that is because Martin decided to write her as a 14 year old girl who gets distracted by the first set of biceps she sees and not a 14 year old who has been through more than most 70 year olds in this world. Now when she does what she does with Drogon, her second to last chapter, it was awesome. She just seems like to get to Mereen and just seems to get caught in a ton of character regression and that blows, we are also used to her moving around a lot and her character does not work well when she is in one place plus it takes forever for everyone that is seeking her to get to her and that makes her story seem more drawn out whether it is the Greyjoys or Dornish men.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #883
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
In line with the idea of a Bolton turning on a Stark, I've seen a theory that House Bolton's affinity for flaying is tied into their attempts to
match House Stark's recessive talent for warging. Then the poster speculated that Roose is in league with the Others. Yes, it was from the Westeros forums. I like the first half about why flaying's important to the House.
That's a bit crackpot for me. GRRM did confirm that the Others aren't completely evil. I don't think anyone is in league with them. I do believe that the Great Other and the Drowned God may be the same god or at least related to some extent.

Quote:
I don't think Dany's going to take the Iron Throne at all. She'll reach Westeros
but the common folk, for the most part, seem to have rallied to the Faith Militant. I can't blame them, given that there's crows like the Bloody Mummers preying on the war-torn towns and settlements. There's no way the High Sparrow would recognize a consort to the Dothraki nor the other heathens from Essos, and possibly the Iron Islands. Plus it was a Targaryen that abolished the Faith Militant. I think (f)Aegon has a better chance of taking the throne and holding it. At the very least, he can talk theology with the High Sparrow and likely gain his favor.
My theory...
If she does go to Westeros, it will be brief and only to use her dragons to defeat the Others (a side-effect will be melting the Wall). Maybe she goes back to Meereen and establishes a new kingdom or relocates it to Valyria, her dragons somehow breaking the hex on it, or she ends up at her old home with the red door.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #884
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
I like the theory on the Bolton origin of flaying, i'm anxious for the She-wolves of Winterfell story Martin has planned for Dunk and Egg.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #885
Victarion
Cut

I really like this Azor Ahai theory. Spoilers for A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #886
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

It's kinda flimsy to me. He's using a very narrow definition of savior and a literal analogy with the Norse mythology, I think GRRM is more clever than that. He's also assuming the "Jaime and Cersei are Aery's children" which I find to be BS and incredibly weak. The evidence he cites all has had explanation.

He and Cersei are the products of the rape of Joanna Lannister. Barristan Selmy claims Aerys was infatuated with Tywin's wife, which is the real reason why Tywin resigned as Hand of the King, and ended up sacking King's Landing.

Tywin resigned because he was getting fed up with Aerys as he was descending into madness. He sacked King's Landing because Robert effectively won the war by slaying Rhaegar. Pycelle has been an agent of the Lannisters and likely plotted with Tywin, knowing that Aerys would trust him and allow him to enter the city, which prevented the rebels from having to siege King's Landing. He also wanted to ensure Jaime's safety.

That's also the reason why Ilyn Payne had his tongue cut out -- because he witnessed the event (which is also why he laughs when Jaime admits his love for Cersei to him).

Except it's explicitly stated that Payne's tongue was cut out because Aerys heard he said Tywin was the one who was really running things in Westeros. Payne laughing at Jaime telling him this isn't proof of anything.

And, yet again, that's why Aerys went behind Tywin's back to recruit Jaime into his Kingsguard, and refused to marry Rhaegar to Cersei.

Jaime was the one who initiated entering the Kingsguard so he could be closer to Cersei as they thought she would marry Rhaegar. Aerys took him in because it would slight Tywin and rob him of his heir.

Using a scene from the show to support the book is also grasping at straws, GRRM has said nothing on the show is affecting the outcome of the book.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #887
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Finished book 5. Wow.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #888
Victarion
Cut

I do have a more reasonable prediction for AA that ties into what Martin said about the Others.

Jon Snow is Azor Ahai. Ser Patrek of King's Mountain's death at Wun Wun's hands provides the red star from Melisandre's prophecy. Ser Patrek was bleeding pretty badly, and his cloak has stars on it. The "smoke and salt" could be salted meats in a cold storage room. This is based on George's frequent subversion of fantasy tropes throughout the series. Then there was the fact that Melisandre saw "Snow" when she asked for a glimpse of Azor Ahai.

Much of this prediction hinges on Mel, and that's its weakness. Now let's look at the series title: A Song of Ice and Fire. Dragons are described as fire made flesh, so its not unreasonable to believe that Dany is the "Fire."

Jon, or Azor Ahai, is the "Ice." The only basis I have for what follows is the fact that the Others seem to represent the cold, perhaps Winter, whereas dragons are, again, described as fire, perhaps representing Summer. It almost sounds as if the Others and the dragons are a necessary evil for Planetos. Something that maintains some kind of environmental, or maybe magical, equilibrium. Now, I believe that since Dany is "Fire", Jon will be "Ice" and encounter something that causes him to aid the Others, directly or indirectly.

The myth of Azor Ahai alone presents the hero as someone who's purely a force of good. Since George has built his series on sliding scales of gray, I think AA will be a mercurial sort of hero. The type to switch sides in the interest of humanity as a whole rather than working to fulfill the wishes of whatever lord or lady he happens to be fighting for. Thus, if it is in humanity's interest to fight against a particular lord/lady, I believe Azor Ahai would do so. Even if that lord/lady were fighting against the encroaching wights/Others. Therefore, I think Azor Ahai's allegiance, combined with the Others playing a role as maintainers of a planetary homeostatic set point, will allow George to present the Others as neither good nor evil.

The last of my theory ties into the old Rhaegar loved Lyanna theory. Rhaegar is said to be a talented musician. I think it is safe to speculate that Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon's true parents. Thus the "Song" in A Song of Ice and Fire could reference two Targaryens--Jon, or Azor Ahai, and Dany, battling one another for Westeros. Nothing so blunt as simply declaring war on one another. No, I think Azor Ahai's deeds will create a ripple effect; one of those ripples will have a negative effect on Dany's plans for conquest (or whatever she decides to do with Westeros), thus bringing "Fire" into conflict with "Ice."

Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #889
Lord
All Mighty

With how much he tells in each book, i wonder if GRRM will really be able to finish the series in 2 more books

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #890
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
I do have a more reasonable prediction for AA that ties into what Martin said about the Others.

Jon Snow is Azor Ahai. Ser Patrek of King's Mountain's death at Wun Wun's hands provides the red star from Melisandre's prophecy. Ser Patrek was bleeding pretty badly, and his cloak has stars on it. The "smoke and salt" could be salted meats in a cold storage room. This is based on George's frequent subversion of fantasy tropes throughout the series. Then there was the fact that Melisandre saw "Snow" when she asked for a glimpse of Azor Ahai.

Much of this prediction hinges on Mel, and that's its weakness. Now let's look at the series title: A Song of Ice and Fire. Dragons are described as fire made flesh, so its not unreasonable to believe that Dany is the "Fire."

Jon, or Azor Ahai, is the "Ice." The only basis I have for what follows is the fact that the Others seem to represent the cold, perhaps Winter, whereas dragons are, again, described as fire, perhaps representing Summer. It almost sounds as if the Others and the dragons are a necessary evil for Planetos. Something that maintains some kind of environmental, or maybe magical, equilibrium. Now, I believe that since Dany is "Fire", Jon will be "Ice" and encounter something that causes him to aid the Others, directly or indirectly.

The myth of Azor Ahai alone presents the hero as someone who's purely a force of good. Since George has built his series on sliding scales of gray, I think AA will be a mercurial sort of hero. The type to switch sides in the interest of humanity as a whole rather than working to fulfill the wishes of whatever lord or lady he happens to be fighting for. Thus, if it is in humanity's interest to fight against a particular lord/lady, I believe Azor Ahai would do so. Even if that lord/lady were fighting against the encroaching wights/Others. Therefore, I think Azor Ahai's allegiance, combined with the Others playing a role as maintainers of a planetary homeostatic set point, will allow George to present the Others as neither good nor evil.

The last of my theory ties into the old Rhaegar loved Lyanna theory. Rhaegar is said to be a talented musician. I think it is safe to speculate that Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon's true parents. Thus the "Song" in A Song of Ice and Fire could reference two Targaryens--Jon, or Azor Ahai, and Dany, battling one another for Westeros. Nothing so blunt as simply declaring war on one another. No, I think Azor Ahai's deeds will create a ripple effect; one of those ripples will have a negative effect on Dany's plans for conquest (or whatever she decides to do with Westeros), thus bringing "Fire" into conflict with "Ice."
A common theory is that the song of Ice and Fire is about Jon. The Ice and Fire are symbolic of his Stark and Targaryen heritage.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #891
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

The salt and smoke...
The Salt could be from the tears of Bowen Marsh, and the smoke from Jon's wounds in the cold.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #892
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Prototype for the 1/6th scale Tyrion figure

Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #893
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

So for my Drama class at school I need to perform two contrasting monologues from a piece of printed text, and I wanted to do one from these books. My first is Sidney Carton's speech in A Tale of Two Cities (or Gordon's speech in The Dark Knight Rises). I'm a huge fan of the show but haven't read the books, and wanted to do Jaime's confession to Brienne in the baths from A Storm of Swords - Season 3 of the show. Problem is, the monologue I perform can't be from the show, and I read that the writers modified the speech a bit from how it is in the book, but I can't find the original anywhere.

Could anybody here link me to a place that has the original monologue, or would someone be so kind as to transcribe it here? Cheers

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #894
Drz
Real Hero

I liked this fan art so much, i wanted to share it:
Quote:

My personal wish for the upcoming books...think that Rickon will be like the old Kings Of Winter, hard, strong, wild & cruel. Screw Ned's morality, it was a thing that destroyed House Stark in the first place.

Why not?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #895
Victarion
Cut

By all accounts, the Skagosi seem like a harsh people.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #896
Drz
Real Hero

With their evil unicorns.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #897
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I recently read a theory that Jon and Sansa will rule the North/Winterfell that I found convincing.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #898
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I recently read a theory that Jon and Sansa will rule the North/Winterfell that I found convincing.
I concur.

Her first chapter in TWOW is supposed to be a controversial one. One possibility is that she decides to out Petyr, thereby ruining his scheme. Other theories say that she'll smother Sweet Robin, or get raped on her wedding night. I don't think she'll smother him; rather, I think continually giving him milk of the poppy is what's going to kill him.

I wonder how Davos expects to gain Osha's trust. And Rickon's, for that matter. Last we saw of Rickon, one of the Reeds said that Shaggydog was full of anger. An island of barbarians, a wildling, and an enraged dire wolf are long odds.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #899
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

If anyone can do it, it's Davos.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #900
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I have a feeling the stories of Skagos will turn out to be immensely exaggerated, which the Skagosi won't mind since they probably don't want mainlanders imposing on them.

Closed Thread