The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Default The "News of the World" Hacking Scandal

Hey, dunno how much of this your hearing over in America and other countries, but basically The News of the World (one of our biggest sunday tabloids if not THE biggest) has been exposed for hacking into the private voicemails of thousands of people.

Among these people are celebrities, victims of murder and other crimes, victims of the 7/7 london bombings, and british soldiers.

The News of the World has announced today that this sunday's issue will be the last ever, and is offering all it's advertising space for free to charities and organisations.

It's kind of huge news over here! Thought I should make a thread!

If anyone wants to post links, feel free!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Default Re: News of the World phone hacking scandal

the last one's this sunday thats a first, any source on that

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
the last one's this sunday thats a first, any source on that
Here you go:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...html?hpt=hp_c1

Everyone's a little too obsessed with the Casey Anthony story in the US right now, but I've been following this one all week. It's unbelievable.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
kit1982
Side-Kick

Can't say I'm suprised it's ending, as soon as the Milly Dowler stuff came to light you knew it had gone to far. Deleting messages off her phone, giving her family false hope that she was still alive.... it just beggars belief really.

kit1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

am i a bad person in thinking with all this stuff its quite strange that the neither police nor the media have mentioned but the mccann's have now come out and claimed that they were the first ones hacked

i know that makes me sound like a right bastard but it just seems like an attention grab

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Political Lounge: Continuing The Pursuit Of Lounginess!

I'm really surprised to hear that "News of the World" is closing following the hacking scandal.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Raiden
The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Can't say I'm suprised it's ending, as soon as the Milly Dowler stuff came to light you knew it had gone to far. Deleting messages off her phone, giving her family false hope that she was still alive.... it just beggars belief really.
Yeah, they went WAY too far when they not only hacked that murdered victim's phone, but also deleted her messages and interfered with police's investigation. This is unforgivable and I'm glad to see this publication finally ending its run. Even for a tabloid, this is a new low.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

The hackers need to be rounded up and put in jail.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

i'm actually amazed they decided to close the paper down

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
am i a bad person in thinking with all this stuff its quite strange that the neither police nor the media have mentioned but the mccann's have now come out and claimed that they were the first ones hacked

i know that makes me sound like a right bastard but it just seems like an attention grab

Spot on, I wasn't going to be brave enough to say it but I've had enough of the mccann's. Yes it's terrible what happened but that investigation has been given more time than any other missing child ever would. Not to mention that they left a 4 year old on their own in a foreign country whilst they decided to go out for a meal! If a family with a less social standing had done the same thing they'd be villified..... ooops getting slightly off topic.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Yeah, they went WAY too far when they not only hacked that murdered victim's phone, but also deleted her messages and interfered with police's investigation. This is unforgivable and I'm glad to see this publication finally ending its run. Even for a tabloid, this is a new low.
Does no one else see them just coming out with a new paper tho? Like The Sunday Sun or something...

I dunno, i'm such a cynic nowadays, but for all the fuss they are making, I don't think any of the people truly responsible are going to get the punishment they deserve.

The corrupt police especially... but all of them should be put behind bars.

They've broken the law in various different ways, as well as the code of their proffessions and their morals as human beings.

Quote:
Spot on, I wasn't going to be brave enough to say it but I've had enough of the mccann's. Yes it's terrible what happened but that investigation has been given more time than any other missing child ever would. Not to mention that they left a 4 year old on their own in a foreign country whilst they decided to go out for a meal! If a family with a less social standing had done the same thing they'd be villified..... ooops getting slightly off topic.
Your not the only one. I am a little tired of it myself... especially because I do not trust them, I do not trust anything about the whole story or the investigation into it. It's fishy.

Quote:
it just beggars belief really.
You know, your the fifth person today to use that exact phrase about this story, me included Typically British I guess lol

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 07-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Harry_Lime02
Concerned Citizen

This changes nothing. Murdoch will just start some other paper with a different name, and everything will carry on as normal. This stunt allows them to give the impression that everything has been solved, sweep it under the rug, and deflect attention away from Rebekah Brooks who gets to keep her job now.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Raiden
The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post
This changes nothing. Murdoch will just start some other paper with a different name, and everything will carry on as normal. This stunt allows them to give the impression that everything has been solved, sweep it under the rug, and deflect attention away from Rebekah Brooks who gets to keep her job now.
Yeah, in the end, the people on the top who are ultimately responsible get to keep their high-salary jobs, and they'll probably sack a few sacrificial lambs to give public the impression that those who did the hacking got punished. Nothing is really changed, and Murdoch will probably get that deal approved by the British government (which he wanted) at the end anyway.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
bored
One Sexy Lemur

Murdoch is a sleaze. Nothing out of this is a surprise when it's coming from his property.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

It's a terrible new low. I know journalism and journalists have a very spotty history and have made up or out-right lied in the past but the lengths these journalists went to is beyond the pale. I think they could only have done worse if they had sent messages as the girl to stir up more story to sell.

I've always thought of journalism and news reporting as telling the news, not fabricating it or breaking into people's privacy and telling details that have no place in the public. All of this is in the name of being first and making better ratings or selling more papers.

I almost went into journalism at one time myself. Things like this make me glad I didn't or I'd have to apologize for what my fellow journalists did. It's beyond pathetic.

Teelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Belvedere
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Political Lounge: Continuing The Pursuit Of Lounginess!

The whole phone-hacking scandal could turn out (and is looking like) one of the biggest scandals in recent British history.

It compromises every layer of society; the institutions on which we are meant to rely upon and trust have had their dirty laundry aired, the public are clearly reviled at what they've seen.

Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Murdoch had no choice but to shut the paper down... no one would advertise with it unless he & News International revamped the entire boardroom of the paper....

So instead, he keeps the one that should have been kicked to the kerb.... and fires everyone else (Most of whom probably weren't even at the paper when the hacking took place)....

Hacking celebs... while still illegal and wrong.... isn't something that makes me

But to hack into Milly Dowlers mobile when she went missing and deleting voicemails..... **** me... that's just wrong... and i hope that the ****er they hired to do that is put in jail for obstruction of police....Hell...it's not hard to wonder if she would have been found quicker if he hadn't done that....

and the 7/7 bombing and families of KIA British soldiers..... downright obscene.

the interesting thing, that'll probably derail the thread, is that NOTW were able to do this due to legalisation that the former Labour Government created...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Belvedere
Side-Kick

Hearing a domain name for The Sun on Sunday was purchased on the 5th of July.

Andy Coulson will be thrown under the bus for it, without a doubt. Don't see anyone higher up than him being brought up on criminal charges though. Definitely scuppered any chance at purchasing the rest of BSkyB for Murdoch, which I'm sure he's not happy about.

Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

it was purchased by a company that isn't on the UK public list of companies...

Which probably means it's a false name used to cover the fact that News International have bought the Domain.... or that the company is brand new and isn't registered yet...

not quite sure how the companies list works TBH

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #20
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Andy Coulson's been arrested!

Anyone know what the substantial proof is?

I know Hugh Grant got a secret recording of one of the guys boasting about it, and that there is apparently a list of names they are going through... But I've heard nothing concrete that would bring about convictions.

P.S. I hope people don't blanket all Journalists under the one umbrella. I'm a Journalism Graduate, and I find the whole thing disgusting. We actually had a module in Journalist Ethics, as well as Law for journalists. So even I know how wrong it is, even if I didn't have any human morals.

There is no excuse for people who have been in the business as long as they have. They know what they've done is wrong and illegal, and they should have to suffer the consequences the same as any criminal.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

there was something about perjury in the Tommy Sheridan case floating about yesterday... but i don't know if that's the reason he was arrested upon presenting himself to an appointment.

i see the great and glorious Red Ed has jumped on the bandwagon.... wonder how much he and his party were involved in this?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #22
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Your not the only one. I am a little tired of it myself... especially because I do not trust them, I do not trust anything about the whole story or the investigation into it. It's fishy.
I'll admit I do love a conspiracy theory, but didn't Richard Branson donate 1 million to the " find maddie" fund? Would love to know where that moneys gone..... although on a less serious note, I must say Kate McCann is quite the MILF

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I'am listening to Mayo and Kermode on radio five they briefly mentioned that the offices of The Daily Star have been raided with a possible connection to the phone hacking scandals.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
Donut
Side-Kick

Send them all to jail

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
P.S. I hope people don't blanket all Journalists under the one umbrella. I'm a Journalism Graduate, and I find the whole thing disgusting. We actually had a module in Journalist Ethics, as well as Law for journalists. So even I know how wrong it is, even if I didn't have any human morals.

There is no excuse for people who have been in the business as long as they have. They know what they've done is wrong and illegal, and they should have to suffer the consequences the same as any criminal.
I don't broadbrush all journalists that way but if I were one I'd be ashamed at what others in my profession did which it almost was. At least this is coming out in the public via other journalists and reporters. It's not being covered up like so many other crimes often are.

Teelie is online now   Reply With Quote