The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #276
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: The North Korean Situation II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Our government and military is confident it can shoot down a missile and part of our agreement with Japan is we defend them. They could be bragging about our abilities but I doubt it. Surely we can defend against whatever weak ass firecracker they might have. What I'm not so confident in is our actual defense shield being public knowledge. Yeah I can read up on our "capabilities" but not for a second do I believe the the public record of what we are capable of doing is the whole picture. If the government and military says we can stop it then we can probably stop it.
Well, good, because the public record isn't too reassuring.

Again, even the weakest fire cracker is pretty damn destructive. Anti-ballistic missile technology has always been limited. Mostly because of fears further development could create a new arms race.

The military doesn't say "we can stop it", they say "we can try".

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #277
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I agree with that actually. Anyone who thinks that the major players in this chess game reveal all their weapons and defense tools is greatly mistaken.
Yep. Remember all the hoopla over the downed stealth chopper during the Bin Laden raid? Everybody was clamouring to get at that never-before-seen tech.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #278
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Point is, as anyone will tell you, the current defenses could potentially intercept a ballistic missile with a nuclear warhead, but it's hardly guaranteed even under the best of circumstances.

The most likely thing to shoot down a North Korean ballistic missile would be a guided missile cruiser in the Pacific, and their success rate, while not terrible, ain't great.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #279
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
North Korea's only reason for still existing is because it's a proxy state for China. It's only there out of China's fear of US expansionism. They don't want to be encroached upon and North Korea acts as that hurdle.

So I doubt the US will be attacking them anytime soon unless they do something completely out of line that leaves us no choice. In all likelihood it would be set up as an international initiative leaving China unable to protest an attack.
Which is why China has been trying to talk North Korea down.

China doesn't want a nuclear armed North Korea threatening every country in the region anymore than we do.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #280
K'Prime
Beast mode

lol war with Nkorea.it would barely even be considerd a skirmish they would get curb stomped so hard

K'Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #281
THUNDERSTRIKE
YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?

I don't know how it is with YOUR local news stations, but here in Chi, this hasn't even made a DENT in the news stories...

nationally, it makes a mention here and there, but it all just goes to show you how much of a threat the US considers North Korea and their "spoiled-brat throwing a hissyfit tantrum" behavior...

not at all...

Red Dawn wannabe hopefuls are all they are...

after their threat of a Monday nuclear strike on us, how impotent, useless and pathetic they're gonna look when Monday comes and goes with their fingers not on the button but still up their asses...

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #282
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

I am a news junkie, newspaper, magazine, internet, radio and TV....almost at a constant, and this hasn't even been a blip.

This is what I found with a simple google...lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...m_hp_ref=world

Nobody cares, even the guys just to the North of them....

Quote:
"The odds of dying from a North Korean bomb are probably smaller than being killed in a car accident. I'll spend my time doing better things than worrying about war," said Oh Jin-young, a South Korean office worker out for a walk with his son. "North Korea knows that war will be like committing suicide."

Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #283
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

That's the thing. If North Korea were to launch a nuke, the US would shoot it down so quick and launch 5 at them before it even becomes an issue. Maybe I'm overestimating our military might but like the S. Korean guy says, it would be suicide.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #284
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Pretty sure North Korea doesn't even have missiles that could reach the U.S yet anyway. North Korea is talking trash as per usual.

South Korea and Japan could nuke North Korea off the map themselves.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #285
Victarion
Cut

I've been looking at the more conservative news sources...they're not even worried, either.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #286
Nathan

I'm only worried for North Korea. If they dare to pull some ****, that's it. So long North Korea.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #287
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
I don't know how it is with YOUR local news stations, but here in Chi, this hasn't even made a DENT in the news stories...

nationally, it makes a mention here and there, but it all just goes to show you how much of a threat the US considers North Korea and their "spoiled-brat throwing a hissyfit tantrum" behavior...

not at all...

Red Dawn wannabe hopefuls are all they are...

after their threat of a Monday nuclear strike on us, how impotent, useless and pathetic they're gonna look when Monday comes and goes with their fingers not on the button but still up their asses...
Chi? China?

I don't think we should go nuts, but when an insane monarch running a country that eerily resembles 1984 threatens other countries with nuclear weapons (which they have), that should be taken seriously.

The fact that China has agreed to sanctions tells us that this is serious business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Pretty sure North Korea doesn't even have missiles that could reach the U.S yet anyway. North Korea is talking trash as per usual.

South Korea and Japan could nuke North Korea off the map themselves.
Japan and South Korea do not have nukes. Japan barely has a military (technically it doesn't have one, it just has a relatively small, but technologically advanced defense force).

North Korea would annihilate Seoul with conventional forces. The nukes just mean they can take out a good chunk of Japan.

They really should not be taken lightly.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #288
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Chi? China?

I don't think we should go nuts, but when an insane monarch running a country that eerily resembles 1984 threatens other countries with nuclear weapons (which they have), that should be taken seriously.

The fact that China has agreed to sanctions tells us that this is serious business.

Japan and South Korea do not have nukes. Japan barely has a military (technically it doesn't have one, it just has a relatively small, but technologically advanced defense force).

North Korea would annihilate Seoul with conventional forces. The nukes just mean they can take out a good chunk of Japan.

Our military defnese force acts as Japan's defense force. It is an agreement we made with the country. So if we have a nuke shield Japan most likely does as well. And you don't need a nuke to stop a nuke. We have installed missile defense shields all over the world in our allies countries I highly doubt we have not done it in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if SKorea has one as well. And the Nukes that NKorea were testing were 15 times smaller than the ones we dropped on Japan so they can't take out a good chunk of anything really.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #289
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

I believe they both have that capability from us....

Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #290
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

You seem to have an awful lot of faith in this "missile shield", which in this case, really just amounts to whatever missile cruisers they have in the area. And possibly some missile launchers.

Again, it's not full proof, and has never been tested in an actual ballistic missile attack. You seem to have more confidence in the defenses than the people operating them.

North Korea's actual warheads will likely be between 10-40 kilotons of TNT. Underground tests aren't necessarily indicative of the actual weapon.

Even a 10 kiloton warhead can take out a good chunk of a city. A 40 kiloton warhead could take out any city. Fat Man was approximately 20 kilotons.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #291
THUNDERSTRIKE

Quote:
Chi? China?
Chicago, bro... you never heard of Chicago referenced that way?...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #292
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
Chicago, bro... you never heard of Chicago referenced that way?...
Ah, well, I assumed in context, you meant China. My mistake.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #293
THUNDERSTRIKE

Quote:
Ah, well, I assumed in context, you meant China. My mistake.
's cool, man...

Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #294
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Chi? China?

North Korea couldn't take South Korea without China's help and China isn't going to back a military attack on South Korea.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #295
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
You seem to have an awful lot of faith in this "missile shield", which in this case, really just amounts to whatever missile cruisers they have in the area. And possibly some missile launchers.

Again, it's not full proof, and has never been tested in an actual ballistic missile attack. You seem to have more confidence in the defenses than the people operating them.

North Korea's actual warheads will likely be between 10-40 kilotons of TNT. Underground tests aren't necessarily indicative of the actual weapon.

Even a 10 kiloton warhead can take out a good chunk of a city. A 40 kiloton warhead could take out any city. Fat Man was approximately 20 kilotons.
Rhetoric does not equal action.....

The fall out from a nuke would destroy North Korea, major part of China, parts of Russia....of which I am quite sure that both would know beforehand what was about to happen.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #296
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Rhetoric does not equal action.....

The fall out from a nuke would destroy North Korea, major part of China, parts of Russia....of which I am quite sure that both would know beforehand what was about to happen.

which is exactly why I don't believe this will ever happen,as China and Russia will not allow it to happen. even if it take a covert strike by them to take out the Dear Leader if they think he's ready to push the button. they don't want nukes being detonated anywhere near them, and they're sure as hell not going to sacrifice parts of their countries to allow NK to do whatever it wants.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #297
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

North Korea isn't a threat that should be taken lightly, but North Korea would be obliterated if unilaterally attacked South Korea. China would end their backing of North Korea and they would be demolished by an international force led by the United States.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #298
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

And wouldn't that just be so sweet, rubbing it in that the U.S. is who led their demise

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #299
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
which is exactly why I don't believe this will ever happen,as China and Russia will not allow it to happen. even if it take a covert strike by them to take out the Dear Leader if they think he's ready to push the button. they don't want nukes being detonated anywhere near them, and they're sure as hell not going to sacrifice parts of their countries to allow NK to do whatever it wants.
I don't think they would take out the leader....he isn't the leader, he is just the face. They would take out the aunt and uncle....

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #300
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

North Korea ends 1953 Armistice

Quote:
The latest exercises fall under the shadow of North Korea's army declaring invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, an article in Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea's ruling Workers' Party, reported Monday.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote