The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #401
Evelisse
Exactly

Default Re: The North Korean Situation II

North Korea's latest military image Photoshopped?

So how long before the internetz takes over and adds to the photoshopped image, they should have added giant robots.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #402
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Even if it wasn't photoshoped, are we supposed to be intimidated by water hovercrafts? Some heavy artillery rounds would deal with them nicely. Or we could just set Jackie Chan loose on one. He is very good at taking those things down.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #403
Destructus86
Side-Kick

That's some really bad photoshopped work...sheesh...couldn't they at least attempt to make it look real?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #404
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
My guess is more incendiary, ridiculously apocalyptic rhetoric followed by little or no action.
This. If anything starts, I'd bet the bombers stop it or stall it long enough for someone to respond to it. I figured the bombers was the US's way of responding NK's sabrerattling by saying "OK, we're listening. Your move."

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #405
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
You are probably right.....most of the Asian experts think that it is more talk than anything else....BUT, they do have the capability of hitting South Korea and Japan...soooooo.....

Most also think that we should really be pressuring China more to push for changes in North Korea....as in a unified Korea, which would really benefit China if they would just figure that out...
Yeah.......I don't know how that would go. My guess is not well at all.

Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #406
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNitro View Post
Yeah.......I don't know how that would go. My guess is not well at all.
You don't think a unified Korea under a Democracy would work? Sooooo....how has it been working for South Korea?????

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #407
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Kim Jong Un is doing nothing but saber-rattling and trying to make a name for himself. It would be incredibly sad if he weren't so wreckless.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #408
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Reunification is a pipe dream. Koreans don't even talk about it seriously any more.

The North Korean people aren't just brainwashed, they're physically and mentally stunted. You're talking about mass rehabilitation on an almost unprecedented scale. It's more starvation than malnutrition. A lot of schools in North Korea have trouble teaching kids because they're starving. And this is post-famine.

And then you have the North Korean economy... or lack thereof. It's just absurd.

Putting aside the political and military ramifications, reunification would bankrupt South Korea.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #409
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Reunification is a pipe dream. Koreans don't even talk about it seriously any more.

The North Korean people aren't just brainwashed, they're physically and mentally stunted. You're talking about mass rehabilitation on an almost unprecedented scale. It's more starvation than malnutrition. A lot of schools in North Korea have trouble teaching kids because they're starving. And this is post-famine.

And then you have the North Korean economy... or lack thereof. It's just absurd.

Putting aside the political and military ramifications, reunification would bankrupt South Korea.
I think it is possible, as far as the social aspects....1. because many in North Korea still have family in South Korea, and 2. Family is #1....

As far as the economic aspects, I think with help from Japan, Taiwan, the US, and South Korea's economy being strong could handle it....their carrying capacity is probably much larger than we think, even without help. It would take decades, that is for sure....but I think it is doable...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #410
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Given average North Korean life expectancy, and the fact that it's been 60 years, that amounts to less and less every day.

You have to be realistic here.

Best case scenario, the Kim dynasty collapses, and South Korea and America intervene (though I doubt China would allow that), and Northern Korea falls under American-led peacekeeping, as the ruins are slowly absorbed by South Korea (that's not going to be a smooth transition).

More likely scenario is the Kim dynasty collapsing, and North Korea becoming a puppet state of China (either through direct intervention by China, or by the new leaders cozying up to China).

Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #411
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

N. Korea has cut last military hotline with S. Korea:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...tml?ctab=all_&

Keep in mind N. Korea did this four years ago, so more harsh rhetoric and saber-rattling from Pyongyang as usual.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #412
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Let's hope those rockets they put on standby are commanded by people who don't have an itchy trigger finger.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #413
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

China doesn't want N. Korea to provoke a full blown assault on the U.S. or Japan. They look the other way when N. Korea bombs S. Korean ships, but provoking a country they have a lucrative free trade agreement with to military retaliation? China's going to be "Nuh-uh."

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #414
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I was just watching Erin Burnett and her guest mentioned that idea of a NK nuke being used as a dirty bomb in a US city. That seems possible, but I still think that China is watching everyone going in and out of NK like a hawk. No way do they want any nukes leaving the peninsula.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #415
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

That's suicide though.

After 9/11 happened even Russia backed down. You dirty bomb America, you get turned into a parking lot (and China won't say boo).

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #416
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
That's suicide though.

After 9/11 happened even Russia backed down. You dirty bomb America, you get turned into a parking lot (and China won't say boo).
Constantly pushing the US and its allies for no apparent reason is also suicide. What is your point?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #417
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

No this is North Korea's survival mechanism. Make enough threats, and other countries give them food.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #418
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Constantly pushing the US and its allies for no apparent reason is also suicide. What is your point?
There's a difference between making threats and killing thousands of Americans.

One causes aggressive war rhetoric and the other causes an invasion or nuking.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #419
Nathan

Quote:

A Brief History of North Korean Photoshops

Almost as much as North Korea loves missiles and marching, the rogue nation apparently loves photo manipulation software. But hey, who doesn't?

Maybe North Korea uses Photoshop. Maybe the country even paid for its copy! Or maybe the military has its own magical software to use with a super computer. It's probably a state secret.

This week, Alan Taylor at The Atlantic (via Gizmodo) revealed that North Korea might have used photo manipulation to recently show battle ready hovercrafts.

North Korean state media released the image in question, but as Taylor explained: "Two hovercraft crashing through the surf, nearest to the photographer, appear to be just a single hovercraft, with a digital twin copied and pasted nearby. Two of the more distant craft appear to be digital twins as well. A third vehicle in the scene has some of the hallmarks of digital pasting, including color mismatch, a slight halo, and soft edges." (Note: The Atlantic added the colored shapes, of course, in the above image.)

But this is hardly a first. North Korea, it seems, has a long, proud history of Photoshop.

Under the reign of Kim Jong-un's father, Kim Jong-il, the country was famous for its photo doctoring...skills. This is propaganda, you say! What do you expect? Well, I expect better 'shops!

Here is a look back at some of the high points (low points?) of possible North Korean Photoshops over the years, whether that's adding food, livestock, or a then sickly Kim Jong-il to photos.

While these certainly look suspect, the top image is completely real. It's not a Photoshop, and Jesus Diaz at sister site Gizmodo did not do it. It's real, just like the unicorn lair North Korea discovered.

Now, if only North Korea could get into GIFs...

Source

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #420
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
It's not suicide. The US is not going to go to war over empty rhetoric. Like others have pointed out, it's (a) a bargaining technique for eased sanctions (and it sometimes works) and (b) a way to distract and unite its populace against a foreign enemy instead of focusing on domestic ills.

The US is not going to engage in what would be the most costly (both in treasure and blood) war in at least half a century because North Korea is being petulant again.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #421
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

My point was that constantly stepping on our toes was eventually going to backfire, but I was wrong. That's what I get for posting with a headache.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #422
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

NKorea orders rocket prep after US B-2 drill

http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-orders-...000429063.html

Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #423
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Here’s the thing about North Korea and specifically Jong-Un. He’s doing all this in order to prove to his military leaders that he can be like his dad. The problem is he’s backing himself deeper and deeper into a corner and it has now gotten to the point where if he backs down from his threats…he’s a dead man. He knows it. So, I don’t believe he’ll back down simply because he can’t. It’s likely he will have to follow through on his threat. I don’t think the US is in trouble, though we can’t know for certain. (I read a quote recently “You only have to be wrong once”) South Korea however is in very serious trouble. It wouldn’t be a long drawn out war, but it would be enough to cause problems economy wise across the globe.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #424
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

I doubt the US will do anything preemptive against NK because it doesn't make sense to give them any sympathies from foreign countries. Keeping them contained and non-aggressive is the best stance with them. Only way the US strikes is if they attack one of our Asian allies.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #425
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I doubt the US will do anything preemptive against NK because it doesn't make sense to give them any sympathies from foreign countries. Keeping them contained and non-aggressive is the best stance with them. Only way the US strikes is if they attack one of our Asian allies.
Which seems to be exactly what North Korea is planning....I am shocked at our show of force these past few days. As small as it was, it was huge in the eyes of the North Koreans.......I hope their (Obama's Administration) bluff pays off. I'll certainly applaud if it does.