The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
succumbtofear
Man With Chops

Default Re: "This movie does not feel X-Men"

Well it's just, it's always going to be hard to please everyone. Three people are always going to have three different opinions. I personally know I would be enjoying this better if the characters of Banshee and Moira had their natural accents, but my hype for the film can let that pass for now. I'm still really excited to see this adaptation.

And that's it, too, this is an adaptation from the comics as done by Matthew Vaughn.. No matter who is hired to adapt it, the finished product is always going to be that directors personal interpretation of what he got out of reading the comics.

Is there necessarily a right or wrong way to get an interpretation..? Again, opinions on that will differ. He's not doing the Frank Miller sin city, shot for shot adaptation of the comics, he's taking what he likes most about all the various comics he's read and mashing them into a story that, for my take, looks really interesting right now!

But regardless, this to me, in my opinion, feels more like an X-men film than anything I've seen yet by far.

succumbtofear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Iron Man and Nolan's Batman weren't particularly comic-faithful
Huh?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

The confusion is based on the fact that this is supposed to be the same universe as the previous films, but looks and feels completely different. The promos have pounded into the viewers mind that these are the same characters ("before he was Professor X..."). But it's undeniable that these films have a wholly different feel to them as compared to the prior films. And it's not just due to them being in a different era. Personally, though, I think that difference will be a very good thing.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #29
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Huh?
That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Especially in regards to Iron Man. That was pretty damn accurate.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Iron Man made a lot of liberties, and so did Batman Begins and TDK, but the changes that they made, felt so organic and real that most people, even the fans, ignored them...

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #31
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

To me this still feels X-Men, but we can only judge by the trailers and clips that have been released. The film as whole might have a different feel from the original trilogy and Wolverine spin-off, but I think it'll still feel X-Men. It'll still have the characters, the personalities, the conflict and the powers.

I do agree that they should have stuck with the original comic book accents but in the whole scheme of things that probably won't effect the story in any major way.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #32
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
HA... they both look to take more from the comics tone-wise than the previous two films.
I agree that X3 felt like it was trying to get a little bit more vibrant and comic-y, but it was executed not too well overall..

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #33
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
Putting together random X-men, some of who had very little contact in the comics, and slapping a X-men brand name on it just doesnt do it for me. Now will the movie be good? maybe it will be. But if its not following the characters that made me love the comics in the first place I just see it as a waste/
I see what your saying and agree to an extent, this is not the X story or characters I wanted to see. Im sure we all would rather have the original team. I dont really like any of the X films that much and was kinda pissed when this film started looking like it could be the most solid film, I want a movie that looks this good with the original team. Should have been a reboot. Sucks cause these characters cant really fit in with the modern time film continuity. Film looks excellent though.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #34
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

I think the one thing they could have done was have been clear on whether First Class was related to the original films. If they had come out with a straight no or yes they might have been able to avoid the apparent randomness of the character selection. Had they made it a clear no they might have been able to include Logan, Storm and Jean for example. On the other hand they could have come out and been clear it was going to be a prequel and stuck with that.

In my opinion that's the only thing I thing they could have done to make things a bit clearer because at the moment it seems some aspects of the film will be prequel-y while others will have nothing to do with the trilogy. It's something of a minor problem though, and at the moment I have high hopes for the film, it looks superb.

Last edited by Cheshire1996; 05-14-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #35
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah I guess with the whole "before he was" Charles/Erik clips I think they are trying to do that. But the continuity is is just random. The fans know they are only using the first two flicks, but alot of the audience is gonna be saying wtf a few times.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #36
WarBlade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
After watching Banshee fly, Diamond Emma, yellow team suits, Professor X teaching mutants about their powers, Magneto's new helmet looking more like the comics, Hellfire Club, Beast's transformation, Mystiques transformation continuity between all films and Mutant Powers being actually used I have no idea why someone would think this doesn't feel like an X Men movie
Try "no idea why someone would think this doesn't feel like an X Men first class movie."

Well it has quite a bit of creative license separating it from the comicbooks.
  • Banshee was a villain back then.
  • Diamond Emma was only ever a telepath (assuming she existed that early in the first place). The whole "diamond" thing is a retcon or something that has been introduced decades later.
  • Hellfire Club is in this? That's way too soon.
  • Beast was muscular and pale-skinned, not blue and furry, so the transformation argument need not apply.

Having said that, I do like the yellow on the wetsuits and the look and feel of it does seem like classic X-Men. In short it has the vibe, but the characters just can't hold the claim to "first class" IMO.

The title needs a change. X-Men: Parallel Universe. For maximum enjoyment, I think I'll just treat it as a "What If?" issue committed to the screen and try not to pretend that it's the X-Men.

Last edited by WarBlade; 05-14-2011 at 05:59 AM.
WarBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
usagicassidy
Side-Kick

It just baffles me that people can gripe and complain that it doesn't follow continuity or have the feel it should or use the right characters or this or that.

There's FIFTY YEARS of "continuity" to follow, for a constantly rotating ensemble cast of at least 30 recognizable characters. (Besides, how many times WITHIN the comics have we heard "oh it's Jean" followed by "it wasn't really Jean," or "Magneto's insane and killed," to "oh well it wasn't really Magneto." etc) Liberties have to be taken, and I for one would RATHER see a 'new and unique' take on the origins rather than what I already know from the comics.

usagicassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #38
insane polaris
Side-Kick

Exactly, the comics dont even follow their own continuity, so how do we expect the films too.

insane polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #39
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

Besides it's interesting to see how different writers and directors interpret the characters, even if we don't agree with their exact interpretations. It's much to early to be hating on the film, from the trailers the actors look like they've done an extremely creditable job.

I guess they've done what they can with what could be called the leftovers of the original trilogy and it looks like it'll be an extremely interesting film. I guess in some ways it is X-Men Origins: Charles and Erik with a bit more interest and with a focus on other characters as well, then the Wolverine film.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #40
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire1996 View Post
I think the one thing they could have done was have been clear on whether First Class was related to the original films. If they had come out with a straight no or yes they might have been able to avoid the apparent randomness of the character selection. Had they made it a clear no they might have been able to include Logan, Storm and Jean for example. On the other hand they could have come out and been clear it was going to be a prequel and stuck with that.

In my opinion that's the only thing I thing they could have done to make things a bit clearer because at the moment it seems some aspects of the film will be prequel-y while others will have nothing to do with the trilogy. It's something of a minor problem though, and at the moment I have high hopes for the film, it looks superb.
I think they should've avoided this problem by not calling it First Class. It's name is based on a pre-existing comic and it involves pre-existing notions. Not to mention it sounds like it could be a reboot and that leads to some confusion as well, especially if people assume it has something to do with the actual First Class. There is little connecting this to the First Class film that was in production during 2009 anyway and it's more closely related to X-Men Origins: Magneto. If this was called X-Men: Origins or something of that nature then I'm sure the reaction would be different as right now the name is associated with a comic the film has nothing to do with and it's giving fans preconceived notions of what the film should actually be about.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
FreeRadical
HAIL HYDRA!

I think for some people, Wolverine = X-Men.

Ever since the first film, most of the movie going public associate Wolverine with the X-Men, especially as Fox put Hugh Jackman on the front of the posters, DVD's etc. Heck, Hugh got most of the focus in the past films.
To me, First Class might be the first proper X-Men team film, focusing on all the
characters.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #42
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Iron Man made a lot of liberties, and so did Batman Begins, but the changes that they made, felt so organic and real that most people, even the fans, ignored them...
I believe the proper term is that they genuinely understood 'the spirit' of those properties. And being really good movies in their own right helped as well. XM:FC so far feels very much the same way.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #43
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I believe the proper term is that they genuinely understood 'the spirit' of those properties. And being really good movies in their own right helped as well. XM:FC so far feels very much the same way.
I think, in spite of not having Jean and Scott and all the others, from all the footage that I've seen, this feels very much like an X-Men film, probably even more so than the X1 and X2.

p.s.-- Just curious, Kedrell, where did you get that avvy from?

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #44
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
I think, in spite of not having Jean and Scott and all the others, from all the footage that I've seen, this feels very much like an X-Men film, probably even more so than the X1 and X2.

p.s.-- Just curious, Kedrell, where did you get that avvy from?
Just found it on Youtube whilst I was scanning for Thor clips. No idea who it is but it just screamed "I want to be your new avvy!"

Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #45
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Just found it on Youtube whilst I was scanning for Thor clips. No idea who it is but it just screamed "I want to be your new avvy!"
Do you, by chance, happen to know what the video was?

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
I think a lot of fans are kind of fed up with where the X-Men films have gone and are disappointed this isn't a reboot instead. I kind of am, but I still am looking forward to this film.
Thats kind of where i'm at. I grew up with the X-Men, still love them. I have just lost all faith in the studio, its really that simple.

The movie looks incredible and I think it "feels" like what an X-Men:First Class movie should feel like. I think i'll really like the movie overall. I don't like the roster though and just wish they had rebooted it. By the time they get around to Wolverine again (you know they will) Jackman will probably be out anyway.

The X-Men movies are kind of like a cheating wife that you used to really love that left you. She seems to come around every few years and say "just give me one more chance, i've changed". You take her back and BAM!, shes off with someone else again.

Once you might deal with it because you love them. After 2+ times it starts to get old after that and you just don't want to deal with it anymore. She's never going to change back to the one you loved and now you realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
As for the others complaining about them being teenagers, I think they just don't know the X-Men that well.

I agree. First Class IS about teenagers, thats the point, albeit not THOSE teenagers.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #47
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
Do you, by chance, happen to know what the video was?

It was one of the bajillions saying "Watch full Thor movie here". It wasn't footage just a pic that was spliced in with the rest of their BS advertisement so it never said who she was.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #48
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
Thats kind of where i'm at. I grew up with the X-Men, still love them. I have just lost all faith in the studio, its really that simple.

The movie looks incredible and I think it "feels" like what an X-Men:First Class movie should feel like. I think i'll really like the movie overall. I don't like the roster though and just wish they had rebooted it. By the time they get around to Wolverine again (you know they will) Jackman will probably be out anyway.

The X-Men movies are kind of like a cheating wife that you used to really love that left you. She seems to come around every few years and say "just give me one more chance, i've changed". You take her back and BAM!, shes off with someone else again.

Once you might deal with it because you love them. After 2+ times it starts to get old after that and you just don't want to deal with it anymore. She's never going to change back to the one you loved and now you realize it.

I agree. First Class IS about teenagers, thats the point, albeit not THOSE teenagers.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #49
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #50
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Exactly.