The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #26
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: Superman effects

Effects, style and imagery are the things we do NOT have to worry about with a Snyder film. Regardless of all else, the movie will certainly look good. Of course, that's not saying the movie itself will be a good one.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger
 
RetrogradeOrbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In my head, listening to its voice...
Posts: 2,615
Default Re: Superman effects

You know, I was just thinking, if we want really authentic flying shots.
How about having a pole coming out in front from a helicopters skids with a body harness at the end which Cavill is strapped into. The cape covers it and the remainder can be taken out in post. The helicopter takes off and voila! Instant authentic looking flying. Yes? No? I'd try it.

You think I should call Zack up and suggest it?

RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #28
Asgard
Kanga Fu
 
Asgard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,287
Default Re: Superman effects

Seems way too dangerous.

__________________
I will drown your ass.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #29
Bren
Forevernoob
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,688
Default Re: Superman effects

Besides which, I'm sure they'd have to fly slowly, which would mean the downward airflow from the blades would push his cape flat down over his body...

__________________
Does odd things at random times.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #30
Alien Anal
Side-Kick
 
Alien Anal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: Superman effects

I post this a lot and its for a good reason i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesqrpseNAg



This was made in 2008 i might add...

__________________
I like to paint
https://www.facebook.com/AlienAnal
http://www.bluethumb.com.au/alienanal

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #31
Superman2007
Side-Kick
 
Superman2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 677
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
You know, I was just thinking, if we want really authentic flying shots.
How about having a pole coming out in front from a helicopters skids with a body harness at the end which Cavill is strapped into. The cape covers it and the remainder can be taken out in post. The helicopter takes off and voila! Instant authentic looking flying. Yes? No? I'd try it.

You think I should call Zack up and suggest it?
They couldn't pull off this in '77 because of the insurance issues they'd have with Reeve. There's no way they could pull it off in this day in age with Cavil

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #32
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger
 
RetrogradeOrbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In my head, listening to its voice...
Posts: 2,615
Default Re: Superman effects

That Honda video was pretty amazing. If we get flying effects like that.... well...

RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #33
Vichy
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 56
Default Re: Superman effects

I want absolutely zero slow motion. Slow motion is a terrible way to convey super-speed, formulaic Hollywood Matrix craaap. I want to see super-speed as, uh, super-speed.

Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #34
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon
 
KrypJonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,316
Default Re: Superman effects

I just don't want to see easy practical shots done in CGI...

Like in SR when he flies away from the plane crash..

__________________
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"
KrypJonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #35
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon
 
KrypJonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,316
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichy View Post
I want absolutely zero slow motion. Slow motion is a terrible way to convey super-speed, formulaic Hollywood Matrix craaap. I want to see super-speed as, uh, super-speed.
So how do you want it then? Cause Superman can move faster than you think... So Supes at high speed could fix a disaster faster thannit could happen...

__________________
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"
KrypJonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #36
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: Superman effects

i agree that, most of the time, if you want to convey speed you shouldn't use slow motion. that's why Jackie Chan's best fights don't have any slow motion. you get to see how fast his kicks and punches are because they look as fast as lightning...not because they take 5 seconds to land.

slow motion should be use for graceful, beautiful flying sequences, impact shots (Superman throwing a real time punch, then slowing down the shot right after the punch lands), or suspense moments (slow motion shot of a woman falling then speeding up again to real time with Superman catching her just before she hits the ground).

if you have to show that he's faster than a bullet, don't do it the way Singer did by having the bullets in slow motion and Superman flying past them at regular speed. have the bullets move in real time and show Superman as a blur, almost as if he teleports.

__________________
Karma: What Goes Around Comes Around: You Get What You Give: Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
<-:{=:]:[my ART thread]:[:=}:->

Last edited by DorkyFresh; 05-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
DorkyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #37
afan
Side-Kick
 
afan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norwood,Ma.
Posts: 3,590
Default Re: Superman effects

What I love about that Honda commercial is that it appears to use old school FX. A real person, great wire work, and marvelous editting.
IMO the only place CGI would be necessary to enhance Superman in flight, would be a CGI cape, as the wires used to suspend him would impede the natural movement of a cape, and the removal of the wires.

Whenever I watch high divers I wonder if that wouldn't be a good trick and very economical for Superman in level flight. Film the diver in the super-suit, in front of a green screen then rotate and superimpose the image on a shot.

__________________
"No comment, until the time limit is up."

Last edited by afan; 05-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #38
Superman2007
Side-Kick
 
Superman2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 677
Default Re: Superman effects

Yep, saw that Honda commercial a while back.

Loved it so much that I made a Cavil manip out of a screenshot from it:


Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #39
Superman2007
Side-Kick
 
Superman2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 677
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
i agree that, most of the time, if you want to convey speed you shouldn't use slow motion. that's why Jackie Chan's best fights don't have any slow motion. you get to see how fast his kicks and punches are because they look as fast as lightning...not because they take 5 seconds to land.

slow motion should be use for graceful, beautiful flying sequences, impact shots (Superman throwing a real time punch, then slowing down the shot right after the punch lands), or suspense moments (slow motion shot of a woman falling then speeding up again to real time with Superman catching her just before she hits the ground).

if you have to show that he's faster than a bullet, don't do it the way Singer did by having the bullets in slow motion and Superman flying past them at regular speed. have the bullets move in real time and show Superman as a blur, almost as if he teleports.
Agree...Even though I hated Spider-Man 3, I can't knock this sequence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvHb...eature=related

I think the slo-motion was used at the right places.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,455
Default Re: Superman effects

just like that honda comercial, they should show that as hes patrolling the skies or even when hes flying to the danger. I know its more dramatic to show whats happening and wondering when supes is gonna show, but it would be cool to follow him from take off to the danger

__________________
Quote:
As the poet John Dryden once had it: "Beware the fury of a patient man." Or Batman.
manofsteel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #41
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,440
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
I just don't want to see easy practical shots done in CGI...

Like in SR when he flies away from the plane crash..
Well, I do know that they tried to shoot alot of the flying shots practically with a rig but the wind machine used to blow the cape kept making Routh blink too many times to pass as someone as invulnerable to earthly elements as Supes and the decision was therefore made to go CGI for those shots deemed [for want of a better phrase] eye-watering.

So unless they've solved that problem in the last view years...........

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: Superman effects

clear, full eye contacts might help a little.

__________________
Karma: What Goes Around Comes Around: You Get What You Give: Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
<-:{=:]:[my ART thread]:[:=}:->
DorkyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #43
afan
Side-Kick
 
afan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norwood,Ma.
Posts: 3,590
Default Re: Superman effects

Hmmmmm.....not a problem, as far as I can tell, for those that preceeded Routh.

__________________
"No comment, until the time limit is up."
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #44
Superman2007
Side-Kick
 
Superman2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 677
Default Re: Superman effects

I think Singer fell in love with the CGI, even though they shot Routh doing the actual scenes. So they replaced Routh with a CGI double that they could completely control the performance of. Singer basically fell into the same trap Lucas and the Wachowskis did. They used the CGI models because they could control the performance completely, even if it was at the cost of putting shoddy CGI in the limelight. The technology to showcase a believable CGI human just wasn't there and it still isn't. Some directors don't get that.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #45
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: Superman effects

The technology is there I think. Most just dont use it or combine it very well.

GL looks like it'll be suffering from the same CGI-misuse as well.

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #46
Vichy
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 56
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2007 View Post
I think Singer fell in love with the CGI, even though they shot Routh doing the actual scenes. So they replaced Routh with a CGI double that they could completely control the performance of. Singer basically fell into the same trap Lucas and the Wachowskis did. They used the CGI models because they could control the performance completely, even if it was at the cost of putting shoddy CGI in the limelight. The technology to showcase a believable CGI human just wasn't there and it still isn't. Some directors don't get that.
I honestly don't think directors (or writers) have as much to do with production decisions as you seem to think. I think it's all producers and marketing (not that I'm some sort of anti-capitalist, but most producers produce things for idiots who don't care about comics).

Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #47
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,500
Default Re: Superman effects

Just don't hire Soby Imageworks.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #48
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Just don't hire Soby Imageworks.
Agreed. ILM, weta or digital domain are the way to go.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #49
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Superman effects

Just anything but Soby.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #50
Superman2007
Side-Kick
 
Superman2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 677
Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichy View Post
I honestly don't think directors (or writers) have as much to do with production decisions as you seem to think. I think it's all producers and marketing (not that I'm some sort of anti-capitalist, but most producers produce things for idiots who don't care about comics).
No, I don't think that's right. If that were the case you'd have to give credit for something like The Dark Knight to a marketing team and Robinov....which is kind of preposterous. Directors make choices and are the ones who sign off on every shot of the film. Whether they care or not about what's shown to them, it is the directors who give that approval.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.