The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #101
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
After seeing the latest Transformers trailer I wish that Bay supervising the effects for the film. At the very least I hope that MoS has a similar look to Transformers. I'm liking the rich colors and sharpness. Could you imagine Superman flying through some of these scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c9F6SQI1ZM

TF3 has what looks to be amazing cinematography. I Hope MOS looks this good because it looks real.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #102
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
TF3 has what looks to be amazing cinematography. I Hope MOS looks this good because it looks real.
same here...I don't think any word short of amazing is qualified to describe the look of that movie

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #103
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Ok, so after watching the Smallville series finale again I just hope that none of the effects in the new movie look as horrid as they do on the show. I don't want any blurs or building up to takeoff. Watching Clark crouch in that stupid pose makes me cringe. I hope the movie looks 10x better...what are everyone else's thoughts?
If the CGI/visual effects look anything remotely similar to what was seen on Smallville then Zack Snyder should be brought up on charges considering he must have pocketed the remaining $199m of the budget. I was disappointed with the CGI/effect choices in Superman Returns, lets not have a repeat.

Personally I kinda liked the crouching takeoff

Makes it look like hes really launching himself into the air to get somewhere ASAP.

The flight from Crusade had the best takeoff, minus the little blur trail he left behind him when he just left the ground.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #104
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

In certain circumstances, I don't mind a really fast, powerful takeoff, but I don't want that to be the only style. Generally, I prefer something more straight forward and natural, no air ripples or Matrix-knockoff effects. I'm not really a fan of Smallville's penchant for over-stylizing and over-complicating every single superpower with over the top camera angles and editing and CGI. If they hadn't done that so much, maybe they could have afforded longer fight scenes.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #105
jthom19802
Side-Kick

I don't necessarily mind a ripple/powerful takeoff, but I find it unnecessary. Superman can manipulate flight just as easily as he can manipulate speed and you never see anything special in order for him to take off running at super-speed. That's one thing Singer got right.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #106
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I think the thing that bothers me is air ripples take focus off the fact that a man is flying. It's like all the plates and seams on Batman's TDK suit. It draws attention away from the main purpose of the suit, which is to look like a bat-man.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #107
mbnasir6
Side-Kick

I'm laughing so hard at the people comparing Smallville effects to MOS. Smallville was a 10 Year Old TV show made by The CW, in turn it had am awful budget. That budget had to be spread out to 22x42 minute episodes.

mbnasir6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #108
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
After seeing the latest Transformers trailer I wish that Bay supervising the effects for the film. At the very least I hope that MoS has a similar look to Transformers. I'm liking the rich colors and sharpness. Could you imagine Superman flying through some of these scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c9F6SQI1ZM
Oh yes... yes I can. I am using my imagination to see this an a holographic invasion harnessed by the power of a kryptonite fragment. Manipulated by a trusted world renowned genius and inventor with his own agenda to brain wash the citizens of Earth to distrust this "Superman"...

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #109
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I'm much more of a fan of the natural take off...graceful and at ease

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #110
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I'm much more of a fan of the natural take off...graceful and at ease
What this person said....

One of the best take-offs I think ever seen for Superman was the running take off in SM2 that Chris Reeve did (at least I think it was that film)

RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #111
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Yeah, when he heads for Paris, right? Has that awesome building music. That's my favorite Superman take-off ever, and they ****in removed it from the Donner-cut. WTF?!

EDIT: Found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJ7i...eature=related - starts at 3:55. Too bad the music is muddy.

Last edited by Rust; 06-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #112
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

that's a great take off...not too keen on the blurry effects though

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #113
KRIM
Banned User

They should utilize both takeoff/landing methods, as they both have a place depending on the situation. I'm more critical of the editing. I've always been far more impressed with wide shots that don't turn away to cleverly hide the fact that the actor can't actually fly. One smooth cut is all I ask.

This is a rough visual of what I mean:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Even if the CG work wasn't top-notch, it caught me off guard and it was pretty awesome.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #114
SuperAl
Superman's back!

im hoping for more powerful takeoffs and landings. SR already did alot of the elegant and graceful flight scenes.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #115
Boosted
Side-Kick

i just don't want sony imageworks on the effects please.

Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #116
daywalker2007
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Yeah, when he heads for Paris, right? Has that awesome building music. That's my favorite Superman take-off ever, and they ****in removed it from the Donner-cut. WTF?!

EDIT: Found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJ7i...eature=related - starts at 3:55. Too bad the music is muddy.
that take off is a work of art.

As are practically all the take offs in Superman 3. Whoever decided on the takeoffs for Superman 3 was a genius. Just watch Reeve when he flies off after running from the bar while high on that red kryptonite.

And then all the other take offs. Work of art.

Superman Returns barely had any of those, they were awful.

Snyder and co need to sit down and view these and give us proper, clear take offs.

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #117
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
im hoping for more powerful takeoffs and landings. SR already did alot of the elegant and graceful flight scenes.
Too bad a good amount of those flight scenes didn't feature the actual actor himself.lol

Man, it's a shame to think on how films like the Matrix Franchise and SR relied so much on a CGI human figures for their flight scenes when we see on what Donner and Reeve were able to achieve in the late 70's.

I really hope that they're able to make audiences believe again, at least once more that a man can truly fly on screen in a believable way.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #118
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
that take off is a work of art.

As are practically all the take offs in Superman 3. Whoever decided on the takeoffs for Superman 3 was a genius. Just watch Reeve when he flies off after running from the bar while high on that red kryptonite.

And then all the other take offs. Work of art.

Superman Returns barely had any of those, they were awful.

Snyder and co need to sit down and view these and give us proper, clear take offs.
True story... Every time I see BR slam into New Krypton, it makes me sick...

But those running take offs are literally what I do in my dreams....

Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #119
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Too bad a good amount of those flight scenes didn't feature the actual actor himself.lol

Man, it's a shame to think on how films like the Matrix Franchise and SR relied so much on a CGI human figures for their flight scenes when we see on what Donner and Reeve were able to achieve in the late 70's.

I really hope that they're able to make audiences believe again, at least once more that a man can truly fly on screen in a believable way.
And this is exactly what I've been calling for...

The SR cgi was terrible...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #120
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
And this is exactly what I've been calling for...

The SR cgi was terrible...
Agreed.

I mean, what was the point of having BR go through all of that training and flight pose practicing, along with actually shooting him with actual harnesses if most of it was going to end up on the cutting room floor and replaced with CGI?

If a crew can do it in the 70's where the term CGI was as foreign to filmmakers as Sensibility is to the GL story, then today's filmmakers don't have an excuse. Just look at what Matthew Vaughn did with his flight scenes in X:FC!

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #121
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I have to agree, let's see a real man flying around in MOS. As much is practical and (reasonably!*) safe of course.

Didn't Chris Reeve, actually get lifted around by a crane and go up to 50-60 feet into the air sometimes?

RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #122
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
I have to agree, let's see a real man flying around in MOS. As much is practical and (reasonably!*) safe of course.

Didn't Chris Reeve, actually get lifted around by a crane and go up to 50-60 feet into the air sometimes?

Yup,
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45834

Last edited by Superman2007; 06-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #123
Boosted
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Agreed.

I mean, what was the point of having BR go through all of that training and flight pose practicing, along with actually shooting him with actual harnesses if most of it was going to end up on the cutting room floor and replaced with CGI?

If a crew can do it in the 70's where the term CGI was as foreign to filmmakers as Sensibility is to the GL story, then today's filmmakers don't have an excuse. Just look at what Matthew Vaughn did with his flight scenes in X:FC!
you lost me when you mentioned the flight scenes in first class. They looked really bad, minus the banshee sonar part. the aerial battle was hard to watch

Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #124
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
Besides Smallville

1. Confusing the hell out of general audiences
2. Having lame TV actors
3. Just milking the Superman character for a cheap buck
4. And last but not least having a low buget for special effects

Thats why I have not sat down to this day and seen 1 full espisode. The whole Smallville idea was stupid.

Don't worry you will see special effects better than in SR and that will be damn good!. The airplane sequence in SR is the most exciting stunning piece of cinema ever in a comic film IMO. It surpassed anything in Spiderman, the Hulk, FF4, Iron Man & I thought Thor was great with a good story. But as for speciall effects thats 1 area I'm not concerned about. Synder will spend the money there. I loved 300, everything look great.
I'm sorry, but while your points are all completely true to some peole (me included), I don't see how you can make those statements without having seen a single episode...

Seems like your forming your opinion based on things other people on the forum have said.

Just watch it. Watch the Pilot. Watch a couple of later episodes. Whatever. Make your own mind up.

There are actually some good bits, even if you do have to wade through some bad

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #125
Dave_W
Side-Kick

As long as there's no orange and teal wizardary going on, I'm pretty sure the effects will be just fine.

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote