The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #526
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread

Maybe somebody else can confirm this but did anybody else spot Major Bludd or someone sporting his familiar helmet in the opening credits when all the characters are zooming to the screen?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #527
Emgr55
Side-Kick

I also hated that they made Flint a dumb ass recruit, Flint was one of the cool guys in the cartoon i was not happy.

Emgr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #528
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Here's some more concept art...

http://constantinesekerisdesign.blog...-approved.html

http://constantinesekerisdesign.blog...n-designs.html

http://constantinesekerisdesign.blog...signs-for.html

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #529
StarLord
It's Horchata, man.

One thing I just remembered was when Cobra Commander says "Firefly, good to see you old friend." (Or something like that)

Given that Chu stated that this was still the same character Rex, wasn't he like, late 20's? Firefly looks about 40 lol.

Doesn't make sense.

StarLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #530
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Maybe somebody else can confirm this but did anybody else spot Major Bludd or someone sporting his familiar helmet in the opening credits when all the characters are zooming to the screen?
Yeah,I noticed it.I hoped he would show up near the end as just a walk on cameo,but nope.

I really am disappointed with Duke's death.It's kinda like having Star Trek with Captain Kirk dying 15 minutes into the movie.

I didn't like Zartan dying either.The actor looked nothing like the character.I was hoping he'd survive to a third film,so he could get the classic "Alice Cooper" look and found the Dreadnughts.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #531
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

I was bummed Firefly died.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #532
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Saw Retaliation tonight and was surprised at how much I liked it. I liked this waaaaaaaaaaaay more than the first one, but that isn't saying much. It still has its problems, but it's an average film unlike Rise of Cobra, which is just a bad film. I liked that the Joes were a military team this time, and not some stupid global police force wearing tacky outfits like in the last one. And mercifully, the CGI was much better this time around. Probably because they didn't have to create stupid shark submarines and things of that nature. And thank god they got rid of the stupid mouth they put on Snake Eyes' mask.

What I didn't like:

- I actually would have welcomed Duke's death in the last one, but I've warmed to Channing Tatum since then, so I would have rather had Duke stick around.

- No explanation whatsoever about what happened to the rest of the Joes from the first one besides Duke and Snake Eyes. I guess we can assume they're all dead? For the record, the only one I would have wanted to come back was Scarlett.

- "Destro, you're out of the band." Why? Did Cobra Commander consider Destro a threat? Or did he just have no use for him? Either way, I'd like to see Destro come back in the third one.

- It's never explained how Storm Shadow survived his encounter with Snake Eyes in ROC. Yeah, we get that he can use his ninja skills to stop his heart, but that doesn't explain him surviving a fall into below freezing water after getting STABBED THROUGH THE CHEST WITH A SWORD.

- They could have shown Zartan's actual face more often.

- RZA, we get it. You like Asian culture. That's cool. But your accent was ridiculous in this.

- Exactly how much time is supposed to have passed between films? You'd think that it would have been a couple of years, but in the scene where Lady Jaye is comparing the two Presidents, she says that the President's been acting differently "since August", and since Zartan assumed the identity of the President at the end of the first film, this would imply that no more than a few months to a year has passed. So you mean to tell me that Duke becomes leader of the Joes mere months after joining them? Huh?

It's still an entertaining popcorn flick, and it's rejuvenated my interest in the G.I. Joe franchise.

Last edited by Drizzle; 04-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #533
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I was actually a bit disappointed with this film, I felt it was too short. Okay the music was nice, the action/cgi was better, I liked the change of tone compare to the 1st movie but the film was too quick for me and there wasn't really anything special. I prefer the 1st movie because I actually enjoyed that one but this one was just uninspiring.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #534
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
- They could have shown Zartan's actual face more often.
Pryce playing Zartan playing the President is the best thing about the movie, I could have used more of him.

Quote:
- Exactly how much time is supposed to have passed between films? You'd think that it would have been a couple of years, but in the scene where Lady Jaye is comparing the two Presidents, she says that the President's been acting differently "since August", and since Zartan assumed the identity of the President at the end of the first film, this would imply that no more than a few months to a year has passed. So you mean to tell me that Duke becomes leader of the Joes mere months after joining them? Huh?
I think he was just promoted to be the leader of the Alpha Squad, not the whole organization.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #535
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I wonder if Arnold Vosloo even did any actual work on the movie. All that footage looked liked it could've been left over from the original or they just did some fancy CGI facial composite shots.

I was disappointed we never actually got to see Zartan.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #536
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I wonder why Firefly never got his own poster. Everybody got one.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #537
StarLord
It's Horchata, man.

Quote:
- "Destro, you're out of the band." Why? Did Cobra Commander consider Destro a threat? Or did he just have no use for him? Either way, I'd like to see Destro come back in the third one.
He probably thought Destro had his chance (ROC) and blew it. Now it was his turn.

StarLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #538
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

President Zartan was Awesome!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #539
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
No explanation whatsoever about what happened to the rest of the Joes from the first one besides Duke and Snake Eyes. I guess we can assume they're all dead? For the record, the only one I would have wanted to come back was Scarlett.
I think the reasons for this was obvious:

One, the movie is trying to remain accessible to new audience; recognising and operating on the belief that lots of people either didn't watch the first one or didn't like it enough to remember all the details. As such, all the unnecessary fat was trimmed off. Note that although neither the Baroness nor Destro played a role in the movie, the latter was still mentioned and shown because it would have been weird to have shown the rescue of Cobra Commander without Destro being present alongside since the two were imprisoned in the same place when last seen.

Second, the creators didn't want to commit themselves unnecessarily. Should the sequel be successful and a third be made (which from the sounds of things looks like to be happening), they wanted to leave the door open for the old characters to come back should the creators want them - and the actors willing to reprise their roles. Duke was present to provide continuity and to legitimise Retaliation as a sequel to Rise of Cobra.

Quote:
"Destro, you're out of the band." Why? Did Cobra Commander consider Destro a threat? Or did he just have no use for him? Either way, I'd like to see Destro come back in the third one.
Well, in this universe, Cobra Commander treated Destro more as a tool and pawn than an ally or friend. Now that Destro no longer has the resources of MARS at his disposal, he is no longer of use to the Commander.

Quote:
RZA, we get it. You like Asian culture. That's cool. But your accent was ridiculous in this.
Yeah. That was weird and stuck out like a sore thumb.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #540
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Duke was present to provide continuity and to legitimise Retaliation as a sequel to Rise of Cobra.
They did not need Duke for tha

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #541
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
They did not need Duke for tha
I disagree. Channing Tatum was the star of the last movie. Had he been absent, in addition to the lack of involvement of any of the previous movie's visibly recognisable leads, this would have damaged people's perception of the movie. True or not, it would have come off looking like one of those cheap, direct-to-DVD sequels where none of the original cast show up.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 04-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #542
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I dunno, killing off or writing out the lead of the last movie sounds like a DTV sequel move to me .

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #543
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
I was bummed Firefly died.
I was bummed Duke, Firely, Zartan, and every Joe died.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #544
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Zartan kind of had to die though, what with Storm Shadow's revelation and all.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #545
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Yeah,I noticed it.I hoped he would show up near the end as just a walk on cameo,but nope.

I really am disappointed with Duke's death.It's kinda like having Star Trek with Captain Kirk dying 15 minutes into the movie.
Well at least Duke's death was handled better than Capt. Kirk's ridiculous holding onto the rail in Star Trek Generations.

And I was reading the entry in wikipedia and there seems to be some confusion as to what character that one bald dude that was Zartan's aide, wiki says he's Zandar but IMDB lists him as calling himself Havoc.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #546
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Well at least Duke's death was handled better than Capt. Kirk's ridiculous holding onto the rail in Star Trek Generations.

And I was reading the entry in wikipedia and there seems to be some confusion as to what character that one bald dude that was Zartan's aide, wiki says he's Zandar but IMDB lists him as calling himself Havoc.
Zartan Calls him Zandar and I think it may be done more than once. There is a character named Havoc listed in the credits but Zandar is in the credits also. When I first heard Zartan call the guy Zandar I was like did I hear that right because I think it was a cool nod to the fans because I personaly just don't see him on the list of Cobra characters that should be used.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #547
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Zartan kind of had to die though, what with Storm Shadow's revelation and all.
Which was exactly why they should have omitted that out of the film. That s*** was ridiculous given that Storm Shadow had all day to kill Zartan in the first film.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #548
Bowie
Banned User

Saw this yesterday. Absolutely wretched. Dialogue was beyond cringe-worthy, the pacing felt like a choppy mess, Jonathan Pryce was awful...I thought it was an abomination. I'd give it */****.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #549
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I wonder if Arnold Vosloo even did any actual work on the movie. All that footage looked liked it could've been left over from the original or they just did some fancy CGI facial composite shots.

I was disappointed we never actually got to see Zartan.
Vosloo was on the movie - maybe only for a few days - but he was there. The scenes with him with young Storm Shadow and later pulling off his peasant disguise to reveal Zartan took a few days ...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #550
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Which was exactly why they should have omitted that out of the film. That s*** was ridiculous given that Storm Shadow had all day to kill Zartan in the first film.
Except he didn't know Zartan killed his master back in the first film.