The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #51
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread

Well maybe...to those people...times at FOX are changing. Maybe, just MAYBE...the direction they are heading in is positive.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #52
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Well, for those in the know, it's been known that since the big Wolverine leak and its reception thereafter, there have been a lot of changes going on at FOX. I don't know what those changes are specifically, but we'll have to find out as time passes...

Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #53
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Rothman Is not there micromangaing movies like he used to.He was telling the writers on Last Stand what to do.Not only did the death of cyclops come from him but so did Xavier.Wolverine Is a classic example of Studio Interfence.

It Is known when Bryan Singer came on board he was given creative control.And It was
him who brought on Matthew vaughn.And except Insisting on a june 2011 release and
suggesting Xavier should have hair they laregely let Vaughn do the film he wanted.
It First Class comes out as well as it appears vaughn and Singer are the ones to take
credit.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #54
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Rothman Is not there micromangaing movies like he used to.He was telling the writers on Last Stand what to do.Not only did the death of cyclops come from him but so did Xavier.Wolverine Is a classic example of Studio Interfence..
I really wouldn't like to get into this, but for the Cyclops thing, there really wasn't much else he or anyone else could've done, especially when James Marsden was already doing Superman Returns at the same time and the possibility of a fourth movie at the time seemed really low.

and I'd like someone to point me to how much studio interference Wolverine actually had. There were way too many things wrong with that movie for me to believe that its completed product had been a product studio interference...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #55
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Quote:
Rothman Is not there micromangaing movies like he used to.He was telling the writers on Last Stand what to do.Not only did the death of cyclops come from him but so did Xavier.Wolverine Is a classic example of Studio Interfence.

It Is known when Bryan Singer came on board he was given creative control.And It was
him who brought on Matthew vaughn.And except Insisting on a june 2011 release and
suggesting Xavier should have hair they laregely let Vaughn do the film he wanted.
It First Class comes out as well as it appears vaughn and Singer are the ones to take
credit.
He's the Roman Abramovich of FOX.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #56
Asgard
Kanga Fu

So, is this movie a prequel to the first X-Men movies or like a reboot?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #57
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
So, is this movie a prequel to the first X-Men movies or like a reboot?
both

Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #58
Asgard
Kanga Fu

What do you mean by both?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #59
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
What do you think it means?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #60
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
exactly what the word implies

the movie is what it needed to be in order to turn out great ... and it did. Enough links to the previous movies to be classified as a prequel but also a lot of liberties were taken to make the story in this as good as possible. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #61
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Something must have changed at Fox.

They put Vaughn in charge of x-men first class and they gave Aronofsky Wolverine before he dropped out.

That's a complete 180 from doing the Fantastic Four movies.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #62
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I see.

Now that I think about it, I dont think theres anything they can do in this movie or future sequels that can really contradict what happened in the first movies.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #63
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

This Is prequel to X-Men and X2 with a few libities taken.Early snippets of reviews
strongly lead to this.And one saying It fits with X-Men and X2 more than some think.
However view It as reboot to The Last Stand and Wolverine.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #64
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

In my mind personally, I could watch Wolverine and X3 for entertainment...but they don't exist in the timeline in MY mind.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #65
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

They put Vaughn in charge of x-men first class and they gave Aronofsky Wolverine before he dropped out.

Well, like I said...after XMOW, they're trying to do more with their high profile releases...

But of course, people had a chance to stab at FOX again when Aronofsky pulled out of The Wolverine...but I think it was just the right studio at the wrong time. I mean, everyone knows that directors pull out of movies all the time. Of course, because it's FOX and it's Wolverine, everyone was speculating that there absolutely HAD to be some kind of ulterior reason for him leaving, which, is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't have enough reason to believe that his reasoning wasn't justified and unbelievable.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 05-22-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #66
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Aronofsky Is better suited to serious dramas and Art House type films.He Isn't best
for superhero films.Consider the reviews of his cowritten batman Year One screenplay
from prebatman Begins days.

It's very possible he has disagreements with producers.All the buzz Is The Wolverine has a great script(well Christopher Mcquarre who won a oscar for writing The Usual Suspects did write it) and sometimes when Directors have disagreements with Producers they choose to leave.Matthew Vaughn himself was once attached to do Thor but during writer's strike left the product reportly because he didn't like Marvel wanted massive rewrites.His take would have mostly been Is Asgard and the time on Earth would have
been during time of the vikings.

Also remember when Singer left to do Superman Fox originally wanted to ban him from their lot but had to change their attitude when House which he Is producer on and directed the pilot was picked up.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #67
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Aronofsky Is better suited to serious dramas and Art House type films.He Isn't best
for superhero films.Consider the reviews of his cowritten batman Year One screenplay
from prebatman Begins days.
First off, it's not fair to say what kind of movies he's best at when yeah, all we've seen him do a lot of is the same kind of movies more or less. I mean, look at Bryan Singer and Kenneth Branagh. They didn't seem like logical choices for X-Men or Thor based on the previous genres they'd done, but they pulled it off. So, I wouldn't count Aronofsky out. As we all know, our most talented directors are some that have brought us great films across a variety of genres..

Second, writing a screenplay is not the same as directing. We've all seen situations when great writers end up directing not-so great movies. Although I can't name names right now, I'm sure that the reverse is also true.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 05-22-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #68
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
In my mind personally, I could watch Wolverine and X3 for entertainment...but they don't exist in the timeline in MY mind.
X3 turned out like the rush job it was but I still don't understand certain fans that are determined to talk themselves in to hating Wolverine. A lot have succeeded but it really is NOT a bad film. Could it have been better? Sure, but it's not bad at all.

Regardless, I hope the automatic fanboy haters are rational enough to judge First Class on its own and not bring their hating baggage to the viewing.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #69
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Marvel, bro, dont stop believing.

The reviews along with the clips Ive seen are getting me all hot and bothered.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #70
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
X3 turned out like the rush job it was but I still don't understand certain fans that are determined to talk themselves in to hating Wolverine.
According to what I've been perceived to understand, X1 was a rush job. Turned out pretty good. XMFC was also perceived as a rush job. Seems to be a great movie.

Look, again--movies with firm, tight production schedules, especially high profile films, is very NORMAL. If a movie had a tight schedule and doesn't do well, it doesn't mean that the movie could've been any better if it had a lot more time...It's exactly the same with the opposite effect.

Unless someone can clearly explain to me a direct causal relationship between a film's schedule and it's final quality, I won't be buying into it. I've just seen too many situations where it just doesn't always seem to be the case.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #71
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The rush job wasn't what made The Last Stand a sub-par X-Film. It would have turned out the same had they had a longer time to dedicate to it.

It was the completely lackluster script/screenplay.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #72
Angamb
Banned User

loving the possitive reviews to date.

dont want to read them in full, but just knowing they liked the movie and for some its the best of the franchise, I feel really happy for the future of the saga.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #73
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their whole philosophy after Avatar made mega bank. After letting a director have complete creative freedom they end up with the biggest movie of all time instead of the many disappointments they've had from interfering in creative decisions. I'm sure half the directors that made "crappy" fox movies are probably not even that bad but unfortunately people like tom rothman turned their movies to a steaming pile of crap and put their names on them.

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #74
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel X View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their whole philosophy after Avatar made mega bank. After letting a director have complete creative freedom they end up with the biggest movie of all time instead of the many disappointments they've had from interfering in creative decisions. I'm sure half the directors that made "crappy" fox movies are probably not even that bad but unfortunately people like tom rothman turned their movies to a steaming pile of crap and put their names on them.
yeaaaaah, it's not that easy

last time a studio gave complete freedom to a director making a blockbuster we got sucker punch(ed).

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #75
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel X View Post
Yeah, I'm not so sure Avatar's what did it. James Cameron did something similar in 1997 and that didn't lead to any revelation for FOX execs. Cameron stands alone and they likely see him as an anomaly(albeit one they're happy to have). My guess is that it's more due to Rothman getting another position in the company(from what I've heard) and the rising quality of superhero film competition.