The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #101
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread

WIth the praise being given to Kevin bacon's performance I think It IS safe to say they
haven't shown us the entire film In Trailers and TV spots.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #102
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-saw View Post
because it's a different house with different hosts?

common sense 101
It's still a FOX-made Marvel movie and 90% of them suck. Caution was never a poor choice given that stacked deck. If this movie turns out well(like it appears to be doing) then it'll be the first good Marvel movie they made since 2003.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #103
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Yes but it Is produced by Bryan Singer who gave us the good Fox Marvel films.And Is
directed by Matthew Vaughn who got a lot of praise for Kick-Ass.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #104
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
WIth the praise being given to Kevin bacon's performance I think It IS safe to say they
haven't shown us the entire film In Trailers and TV spots.
Especially since he has yet to utter a word in any of the footage I've seen so far. That's very strange since in these kinds of films the villain is a big selling point. Even Hector Hammond eventually got a line of dialogue in one of the lastest GL trailers(thought they'd never get to that). Loki talked in the Thor trailers, I'm sure red Skull will get some dialogue in the second Cap trailer(he better) but not a whisper from Shaw or any of the rest of the Hellfire Club. Very unusual.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #105
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Yes but it Is produced by Bryan Singer who gave us the good Fox Marvel films.And Is
directed by Matthew Vaughn who got a lot of praise for Kick-Ass.
Fair enough. Gavin Hood was an academy award winner yet he couldn't save Wolverine. So while Singer & Vaughn on the project was reason for hope, it didn't mean that all wariness should disappear. After all, FOX was still large and in charge.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #106
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Especially since he has yet to utter a word in any of the footage I've seen so far. That's very strange since in these kinds of films the villain is a big selling point. Even Hector Hammond eventually got a line of dialogue in one of the lastest GL trailers(thought they'd never get to that). Loki talked in the Thor trailers, I'm sure red Skull will get some dialogue in the second Cap trailer(he better) but not a whisper from Shaw or any of the rest of the Hellfire Club. Very unusual.
Yeah, I find this very weird, I mean even some of the TV spots for kids channels would make you think that Emma Frost is an X-Woman, I'm sure a lot of casual viewers are gonna go, watch the movie and be like "Kevin Bacon's here? that's odd".

Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #107
kedrell

I guess Angel joins the Club so she is so far their only voice that we've heard.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #108
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
It's still a FOX-made Marvel movie and 90% of them suck..
It's much much more than that, dude. Let's just focus on directors...

Tim Story didn't have much talent to begin with.

Mark Steven Johnson was and still is mediocre at best.

Brett Ratner...see Mark Steven Johnson

Gavin Hood had never done a true studio film before.

Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn were and still are the closest to true talented directors over the rest of them. There is a difference between cause and correlation and most people with common sense will be able to tell the difference. You have to look through this whole "FOX poison" mentality and realize that if you don't have good filmmakers, you don't have a good movie, period. It shouldn't change much from that when you've got a different studio behind you.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 05-23-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #109
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's still a FOX-made Marvel movie and 90% of them suck.
the fact that they hired vaughn for this should have been enough for people to give it second thoughts

the guy was clearly good at adapting comic book movies

he was also the director who walked out of x-men 3 and he sure as hell wouldn't have agreed to do this if he wasn't sure that he could deliver a good movie and that he had enough creative freedom.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #110
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
he was also the director who walked out of x-men 3 and he sure as hell wouldn't have agreed to do this if he wasn't sure that he could deliver a good movie and that he had enough creative freedom.
A lot of fanboys kinda drilled on Brett Ratner and also Gavin Hood, talking about how they were just puppets of the studio and they weren't able to do their own thing. However, from all of the changes/additions Ratner was able to do on his own when he took over X3, I'm pretty sure it was clear that he was given quite a lot of freedom--perhaps more than he needed!

So, I think the creative freedom was always there for Ratner, Hood, and maybe the others, but still, if you're given that kind of control...and you don't know what you're doing,...

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 05-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #111
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
It's much much more than that, dude. Let's just focus on directors...

Tim Story didn't have much talent to begin with.

Mark Steven Johnson was and still is mediocre at best.

Brett Ratner...see Mark Steven Johnson

Gavin Hood had never done a true studio film before.

Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn were and still are the closest to true talented directors over the rest of them. There is a difference between cause and correlation and most people with common sense will be able to tell the difference. You have to look through this whole "FOX poison" mentality and realize that if you don't have good filmmakers, you don't have a good movie, period. It shouldn't change much from that when you've got a different studio behind you.
Except not all studios are the same. Sure, Singer & Vaughn are better at this game than the others listed. Doesn't mean the studio can't still meddle. And as long as that possibility existed, caution was warranted.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #112
kedrell

Quote:
the fact that they hired vaughn for this should have been enough for people to give it second thoughts
It did. But a rubber stamp for the whole she-bang was never in the cards just because of that one descision.

Quote:
the guy was clearly good at adapting comic book movies
No arguement here.

Quote:
Possible but it's still just speculation. None of us were in on those meetings and none of us know Vaughn personally.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #113
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
because it's a different house with different hosts?

common sense 101
Who owns the houses? Fox could literally come in at any second and demand anything they wanted...like they have done in the past over and over again. Like they did to Vaughn and Singer both in 2005-2006. Just because someone said that they were cautious of this movie but now it seems that all the right pieces have fallen into place that they movie might be good isn't stupid or wrong.

I had zero hopes for this movie about a year ago. Am I dumb for that? No. As things on my checklist for good films were checked off one by one, then my faith was restored and I now think this film will be great.

Common sense 101 dictates that you don't blindly follow something. Sorry but being let down so many times makes you inspect things more. It's like the kid who has a dead beat dad that always tells his kid that they will do something together next weekend like in Liar Liar. Fox let business get in the way of their babies but now it seems that they finally maybe have learned their lesson.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #114
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Except not all studios are the same. Sure, Singer & Vaughn are better at this game than the others listed. Doesn't mean the studio can't still meddle. And as long as that possibility existed, caution was warranted.
Hey, every studio has to involve themselves in their high profile projects. That much is common, man..

.and it's good to always be cautious, sure, but you have to make sure you understand the reasons for it.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #115
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I never thought I would say but I'm actually not that excited about X-Men FC.

And I grew up with the classic Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum/Romita Jr/Silvestri/Lee stories and are seminal works that I was ecstatic when the first X-Men movie came out in 2000, wow has it been that long?

But now 11 years later what with so much information over the internet it feels like I know the movie back and forth and even though it deals with the early days of the X-Men they could of put Cyclops in there.

But instead we get B-listers like Banshee, Angel and some newly created for the movie.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #116
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Hey, every studio has to involve themselves in their high profile projects. That much is common, man..
I didn't mean the butting in part. Of course they all do that to one extent or another. They're the ones paying for it and taking the risk. Sometimes you actually want them to butt in because a director or producer with too much power can be a bad thing if they don't have a vision that is in line with the property(I'm looking at you Ang Lee).

The difference is that some studios know these properties better than other do. Fox has demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't. In fact, they probably the bottom of the barrel when it comes to having that kind of understanding.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #117
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I didn't mean the butting in part. Of course they all do that to one extent or another. They're the ones paying for it and taking the risk. Sometimes you actually want them to butt in because a director or producer with too much power can be a bad thing if they don't have a vision that is in line with the property(I'm looking at you Ang Lee).

The difference is that some studios know these properties better than other do. Fox has demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't. In fact, they probably the bottom of the barrel when it comes to having that kind of understanding.
And yet it was Warner Bros who released Batman & Robin, Batman Forever, Superman 3, Superman 4, Superman Returns (some think that's great) and also Catwoman and Constantine. Lionsgate were behind the Punisher films. Sony was behind Spider-Man 3 and Ghost Rider.

I think all studios can push things in a direction that doesn't find fan approval or mainstream success.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #118
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
And yet it was Warner Bros who released Batman & Robin, Batman Forever, Superman 3, Superman 4, Superman Returns (some think that's great) and also Catwoman and Constantine. Lionsgate were behind the Punisher films. Sony was behind Spider-Man 3 and Ghost Rider.

I think all studios can push things in a direction that doesn't find fan approval or mainstream success.
You forgot WB did Jonah Hex & The Losers as well.

Anyway, Marvel Studios hasn't yet and they've made just as many superhero films now as Sony.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #119
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:

Anyway, Marvel Studios hasn't yet and they've made just as many superhero films now as Sony.
you sure about that lol

Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #120
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Thank you x maniac for talking some sense.I don't take the Fox haters seriously mainly because they always seem to ignore other terrible CBM by the other studios
I'm sure they blamed Jonah Hex on Fox

Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

Well, Iron Man 2 was a mess in my view and Marvel's own Hulk didn't do any better than the Ang Lee/Universal version.

Plus we've had the typical studio politics - a recast Rhodey/War Machine and also a recast Bruce Banner, and all the behind-the-scenes dramas that went with those manoeuvrings...

Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #122
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdoc View Post
I just can't believe, how dumb some people are, when X-MEN: First Class has a totally different cast from X3/Wolverine, a great director/producer, and they still keep *****ing about it with non-sense logic. "omg...this movie is going to suck so bad, because DIFFERENT groups of people have done it wrong before!!"

use your brains for once people.
You're right...thats why when Wolverine had a totally different cast & crew (save for Hugh Jackman) with an academy award winning director, it ended up being the greatest movie ever.

Secondly I don't see how you can call someone an idiot or dumb because they are going to watch a film a DVD instead of theaters...but to you I guess thats not "non-sense logic"

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #123
Project862006
Banned User

to be fair i dont think gavin hood is a good director

i felt Rendition was pure trash

Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #124
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Fair enough. Gavin Hood was an academy award winner yet he couldn't save Wolverine. So while Singer & Vaughn on the project was reason for hope, it didn't mean that all wariness should disappear. After all, FOX was still large and in charge.
Except Matthew Vaughn has creative control so he was calling the shots. The only thing Fox wanted was the movie delivered in time for the release date.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #125
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you're losing this battle.

A studio isn't some constant singular entity, either...and I don't think any of us truly are experts in how much these studios know about their properties and it may not even matter in a lot of cases.

I'm willing to change subjects on the condition of "agreeing to disagree".

Closed Thread