The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Default Hype Horrors 3: Comic-Condemned IC Thread

Ever wanted to meet your friends from the Hype?

Ever wanted to brutally kill them?

---

Welcome to San Diego, California!

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina. More importantly, it's the mecca for all geeks who make their yearly pilgrimage to the San Diego Comic-Con. The RPG community of the Superhero Hype! Boards convenes for their biggest meeting yet.

Then something goes terribly wrong as a classic RPG is brought to life.

A beloved RPG member is murdered in cold blood the first day of the con. The chilling part is that his murder exactly matches a murder in the Hype Horrors RPG games. As time goes on, more RPers meet their maker in grisly ways matching their cyber counterparts.

The RPers have only 72 hours to piece together the clues and stop the killer before time runs out, the story is complete, and the trilogy's swan song ends in a spectacularly bloody fashion.

------------------------------------------

Rules & Guidelines
  • Out of all registered players, one is chosen by random to be the killer of the story. The others will play the roles of his unwitting victims.
  • Every 3-5 days we will have a vote. The votes are to be PMed to me and include the name of the person you want to be the next victim. Once the votes are tallied, the player with the most votes falls victim to our killer.
  • At each murder scene there will be one or more clues to the killer's identity. These can often be vague, hidden clues, or even red herrings, so be careful.
  • Think you know who the killer is? PM your guess to me. But beware: A right guess makes you the hero of the game. A wrong guess automatically makes you the next victim.
  • To you, the player: You are playing yourself. That's right, no characters, no pretending. Just you. Although exaggerations for the sake of fun are encouraged, try to act and interact like you would in real life. This means no, you did not happen to bring a shotgun to Comic-Con
  • This game relies on frequent posts. If you do not post in the IC thread regularly you risk becoming the next victim.
  • It is VERY IMPORTANT you do NOT talk about who you voted for each time. I realize there is little I can do to prevent you from discussing it amongst yourselves, but please try to maintain the integrity and fun of the game by keeping your votes to yourselves.
  • Have fun. But most importantly, trust no one.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Default Re: Hype Horrors 3: Comic-Condemned IC Thread

The Suspects

Twy
Spike
Byrd
Carnage
Wieg
MB
Brynn
Sensei
Supergirl
Soze
Andy

Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Part 1
Day 1
72:00 hours until Sunday

Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

"No, mother, I didn't forget to pack my acne cream. Yes, mother, I know how flustered my skin gets in the sunlight. I'm sure it'll be perfectly..."

"Hey, mister. We're at your stop. That'll be 34.50."

The cabbie looks back at me with a partly disgusted look as I nod in acknowledgment and gather my things from the seat. Wishing my mother goodbye on the cellphone, I sling my laptop under my shoulder and my duffel bag over it before paying the man. He looks down at the ludicrous amounts of change that I've given him.

"This is only 32."

I look down at his hand, then up at him.

"Wow, you counted that quick."

"You owe me another 2 and fifty."

"I'm afraid that's all I have for cabfare. Unless you accept IOU's, that is."

Angrily, he grabs me by my shirt. I can already feel a moist spot beginning to develop in my pants. Smiling back at him, apologetic, I reach into my bag and pull out the two dollars and fifty cents I had intended for a collector's reprint of Detective Comics #252 that I wanted to be signed. He takes it and indicates the door, turning back around and muttering under his breath.

"****in' nerds."

Sighing to myself, overcome with grief over the loss of my potential collection addition, I move on up and out of the back seat and step onto the sidewalk.

Damn. I'm really here. 600 miles later and a buttload of hassle, and I've come all the way from a quiet town in Indiana to San Diego, California. And about seventy two hours away from geekdom bliss and getting the sweats over seeing Summer Glau from afar.

Heh. If only I didn't have to go back.

Looking up at the hotel, I smile to myself and waltz into the lobby to check-in. Only to see someone there, already waiting for me. I can tell because of the comic book t-shirt and the beaming smile. One of my fellow Hypesters, finally meeting me face-to-face. I feel so overjoyed that I almost forget to immediately apply the acne cream, like I promised mother I would.

"Ah. I... figured I wasn't the first one here."

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Looking up at the hotel, I smile to myself and waltz into the lobby to check-in. Only to see someone there, already waiting for me. I can tell because of the comic book t-shirt and the beaming smile. One of my fellow Hypesters, finally meeting me face-to-face. I feel so overjoyed that I almost forget to immediately apply the acne cream, like I promised mother I would.

"Ah. I... figured I wasn't the first one here."
"Alex?" I ask as I walk over to the guy. It looks like his Facebook photo, not exactly how I pictured ole MB looking, but I don't exactly look like the Bogus Byrd Man.

"Hey, man, it's me, Matt...uhh, Byrd."

He smiles and we shake hands.

"I can't believe I finally got a chance to meet you in real life. I've always wanted to say this to your face........POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!"

Yep, it sounds just as obnoxious as it looks on a computer screen.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
"Alex?" I ask as I walk over to the guy. It looks like his Facebook photo, not exactly how I pictured ole MB looking, but I don't exactly look like the Bogus Byrd Man.

"Hey, man, it's me, Matt...uhh, Byrd."

He smiles and we shake hands.

"I can't believe I finally got a chance to meet you in real life. I've always wanted to say this to your face........POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!"

Yep, it sounds just as obnoxious as it looks on a computer screen.
I laugh on the outside and play it up, but I have to admit, I do internally groan. Not because I'm not happy to meet Byrd, I really am... but because it really does sound just as obnoxious as it looks on a computer screen. Bet he doesn't even realize it.

"Yeah. Uh, I'll get on that. Eventually."

Realizing that I've been slacking off in the DC RPG for several weeks now, I decide to change the subject before he gets annoyed. Maybe he's more forgiving about it in real life, but I can't take that chance.

"So, you have a good trip? I know it was last minute for me to skip out on your offer to drive up, but I figured it'd be more convenient to take the train."

Wow, listen to me going on and on. Usually I'm such a quiet person, but something about being here really puts my mind at ease. It's almost like the thought of being a mere three days from shaking Kevin Conroy's hand with an iron grip and being forced away by security doesn't intimidate me in the slightest anymore.

"Hope there are no hard feelings."

Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
"Hope there are no hard feelings."
I shrug and laugh.

"It's no problem. Between me and you, I'm glad you bailed on me. It's about an extra eight hours to go up to Indiana and my POS car barely made it out here to California. But you still will take me up on my offer to double up in a room with me, right?"

Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I shrug and laugh.

"It's no problem. Between me and you, I'm glad you bailed on me. It's about an extra eight hours to go up to Indiana and my POS car barely made it out here to California. But you still will take me up on my offer to double up in a room with me, right?"
"Oh, yeah. I'm still up for that. As long as you didn't invite Keyser to sleep on the couch, I'm up for anything. After the way he played himself in Hype Horrors 2, I'm almost scared to know how much of it was based on his actual self."

Chuckling off the tormented memories of having to picture him in a speedo, I relax in a nearby lobby chair and place my stuff down at the bottom of it. Paying special attention to the right duffel, as it contains my, erm... "attire" for the day. Here's hoping that drinking all of that Slim Fast payed off.

"Gotta say, I didn't imagine you when I thought of that dude over MSN. I almost want to take back all the Southern jokes."

Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:

"Gotta say, I didn't imagine you when I thought of that dude over MSN. I almost want to take back all the Southern jokes."
"Damn, right. Us Southerners are a proud, noble people who embrace our heritage and have all our teeth, know and like black people, and don't **** our cousins."

I pat MB on the back and point towards the metal doors at the end of the lobby.

"Now let's get into yonder magic lifting box and go to our room on the second floor."

Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
"Damn, right. Us Southerners are a proud, noble people who embrace our heritage and have all our teeth, know and like black people, and don't **** our cousins."

I pat MB on the back and point towards the metal doors at the end of the lobby.

"Now let's get into yonder magic lifting box and go to our room on the second floor."
I smirk back. "Well, you know me. I can't enter a door without knocking on it first."

It's weird, but seeing Byrd here, in person, ready to go to Comic-Con. It makes me feel like nothing's changed. Internet or no internet, we're still getting along great and still as good of friends as ever. It'll be interesting to see how this weekend turns out.

"Think anyone else'll be here anytime soon?"

Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
I smirk back. "Well, you know me. I can't enter a door without knocking on it first."

It's weird, but seeing Byrd here, in person, ready to go to Comic-Con. It makes me feel like nothing's changed. Internet or no internet, we're still getting along great and still as good of friends as ever. It'll be interesting to see how this weekend turns out.

"Think anyone else'll be here anytime soon?"
"Hopefully soon. We don't have too much longer until the convention floor opens."

I pull out my phone and check its clock.

"I wonder who all managed to make it."

Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

"And here you go, sir."

I smile and take my credit card back. I really shouldn't have splurged on a room so close to the Con, but it was such a godsend last year. Besides, I can't believe I even got tickets this year after the cluster**** SDCC pulled. It's a good thing there's always some last minute cancellations.

I take my room key and head for the elevators. I drop off my luggage, and head back out with my bag and the stuff I need. Time to get an early start on the day, and those badge lines can be a real *****.

I walk outside and down the street, and sigh.

"Yep...a real *****."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"Oh yeah, I'll just drive to San Diego. It's cheaper than a plane ticket, plus I'll get to see the country! Great frakking idea, Cayse," I grumble to myself as I try to massage the side of my neck with my one free hand.

Every single muscle in my body is stiff from being cooped up in my car for three whole days. And since I wanted to save as much money as I could for the con itself, I didn't even stop at motels on the way, just slept in the car. To be perfectly honest, I'm amazed the car managed to survive the cross-country trip. And that I didn't go completely insane from bad country radio.

I'm tired, I'm sore, I'm cranky, and I stink to high heaven. Not to mention I'm probably going to be in line to pick up my badge for at least another five or six hours.

But on the other hand...

"...I'm here."

I'm no stranger to conventions--I've volunteered at some of the smaller local sci-fi and anime cons back home, as well as made the occasional trip to some of the bigger ones like Wizard World or DragonCon. But this? This is a whole 'nother level. Comicon. It's like a holy word, something to be spoken of only in hushed and reverent tones.

And for the first time, I'm actually a part of it.

I check in at the front desk of the hotel and leave a healthy tip for the bellhop as he takes my bags up to my room-- near-broke or not, I've spent enough time in the service industry to always tip generously. With that, I make my way to the twisting labyrinth that is the registration line and grab a program to pass the agonizing hours-long wait.

Thumbing through the guest list, I start checking off who I'm going to go out of my way to see:

"Dave Gibbons.....meet, get autograph....

Grant Morrison.....meet, get autograph, prostrate myself and bow before him......

J. Michael Straczynski.....meet, get autograph, punch as hard as I possibly can for Superman: Earth One....."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
twylight
One And Only

14 hours earlier

*boof*

I drop my duffle bag unceremoniously on the floor next to my twin sized bed and toss my backpack on the bed, promptly following it with a flop. Oh gawd, an 8 hour car drive alone with only the sounds of Fall Out Boy and the boring scenery of Highway 8.

Signing I pick up my phone and dial home.
"Hey mom.. yeah I'm here.... yeah, waiting for Cori right now. Nono, she should be here soon. Yeah.. okay. Okay. Okay.. Yes I know, this isn't the first time I've done this.. ok..k.. love you too. Bye."

OHHHH my gosh. Why does she over explain EVERYTHING? I text Cori, the keys on my phone a muted clacking.

*clack clack clack*

Hopefully she'll get in soon....

Currently

OH MY GOSH... I check my phone's time. 7:15am.

Cori's STILL in the bathroom? I know we don't technically need to meet-up with Wieg till around 8ish in the badge line.. but still.

I double check my re-packed bag. Sandwich, water bottles, camera, pen, pencil, wallet, sunscreen, and schedule.
Yep ready.
I check my phone again. 7:16am. OOOHHH my gosh. Anxiety starts to prod my stomach, so I lay down on my bed and breath, running over last nights events. Preview night was awesome as always, I'd gotten most everything I wanted to buy except for the SDCC MLP exclusive. Still need that one... Cori and I had made a late night run to the store for some groceries so we'd have low fund lunches for the weekend *score* I'd fallen in bed dead tired and woken up far to early.

"Okay... ready!" She bounces out of the bathroom and poses, allowing me to compliment her Supergirl t-shirt.

In under 15 minutes we're out the door, down the elevator and emerging onto the street for the short walk to the convention center. It is nippy; the marine layer hanging low over downtown San Diego like a fluffy gray blanket. The harbor cast a hint of salty fragrance in the air and a soft breeze, promising a cool day, but it lies. Come 10:00am the marine layer will burn off and the skies will be clear, allowing the sun to beat down. I mentally pat myself on the back for the sunscreen I packed. The Con newbies may burn in the sun while waiting in the Hall H line, but not me.

We excitedly walk towards the Center, lucky that we'd gotten a hotel room a block away. Crowds of people swarming the same direction. We stop at the trolley crossing as a cheerful red trolley comes to a stop and people disembark. Across the street I can see the line forming outside of the white and glass building. The excitement swells in my chest and I grin from ear to ear like an absolute idiot.

"Come to the after party tonight!" a piece of paper is thrust in my hands. I look around the road to see if there are any free swag opportunities. I still treasure the SyFy button set I scored last year.

A man dressed as a Nerd Herder stands nearby handing out lanyards stamped with 'Nerd Herd' on them. I make a b-line for him and snag one. YES! First swag of the day... now for some buttons. As we walk down the trolley line to cross the road I manage to score a button from some show NBC is promoting, called "Ratings Hog" I make a mental note to ask Wieg about it.

I check my phone again, 7:34. ACK cutting it close! We didn't need to be in line with Wieg for the badges, but we did need to be in the entrance line! Anxiety mixes with excitement as we cross and I look around for familiar faces. I know Wieg is going to be there, but I also know that several other RPer off Hype will be in attendance too. I can't wait to see Soze again and I am excited to finally meet the rest, even if I haven't RPed there in over two years...
Hopefully we'll all meet-up later today.

We stop on the curb and I survey the busses dropping people off, it was crowded but nothing like it will be later. I'm glad we got here a few minutes early. Would have been better if we'd been here at 7, but I remind myself that early isn't for everyone. Before looking at the line again for Wieg I double check my t-shirt and jean outfit. I make a note that my boobs look especially nice today under my purple shirt with the giant black outline of a canary across the chest. I can't compete with the hot cosplayer girls, but - I stop my thinking. It doesn't matter. I am here, nothing is going to bring my mood down.

Last edited by twylight; 05-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Hours of waiting and reading comics as I try to tune out the noise all around me has finally paid off. I'm in the right mindset and sufficiently psyched up about the experience. I still might need to work a bit more on my bad accent, though.

Having gotten here hours and hours before most of the rest of the line started forming behind us, I'm glad that we don't have to camp out on the street like hobos anymore. Our hard work and commitment to start mindlessly standing around earlier than most people here has finally seemed to bear fruit.

With our Comic-Con badges now in tow, I look and smile at my friend who I dragged here all the way from New Brunswick, Canada. For some odd reason I don't think that she appreciated me forcing her to come out here so early. After all, most people would want to find a hotel room and get some well deserved rest after the flight here, but I'm not most people. I have six cans of Red Bull fueling my body right now, and nothing is gonna stop me from this experience.

"So," I say in my best bad South American accent while trying to pull my Bane mask out of my backpack as we move away from the lineup, "are we ready to find my friends from the Hype and start bench pressing some costumed detectives?" Only having recently joined the SuperHeroHype forums, my friend Brynn just looks at me like I'm an idiot.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

Wednesday Morning:

I sigh as I sit in DIA waiting to board my plane. Has it really been a year? Yet again, a last minute blessing allows me to go to geek mecca. Last year it was my grandpa paying for my trip after I got fired from my job and it was in jeopardy. This year? A mysterious benefactor, who won't reveal himself. Hurm. I met a lot of internet friends in SD last year; Twy, Wieg, Trusty, Keys. Oh god Keys. The thought of his GL suit still makes me queasy. A lot had happened in the last year though. The last time these folks saw me I was just Rob. Since then I'd come to terms with my identity, and was finally being honest with myself. I head to San Diego this time as Cori, about a month into my hormone treatments and on the road to becoming the person I want to be. As I board the plane, I smile at all the wonders I'm about to experience.

Thursday morning:
Merce woke me up late... and now she's rushing me... Unlike her, I HAVE to have makeup on to not look like a man. I step out of the bathroom and she compliments my pink Supergirl t-shirt and I throw a like compliment to her much subtler, but even nerdier Canary shirt.

We head down to the street and I get all giddy at the sight of the crowd. Still has the magic power it had had last year. Maybe even more as I know what I'm doing. We grab swag on our way to the badge line, anneither Merce and I don't need to pick up badges since we had gotten preview night. I spot Wieg as we make our way to the line. He's right at the back of the line and we slide in right beside him. "Hey Wieg. How're things?"

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.

Last edited by Supergirl; 05-23-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

MB and I make it to the convention center and the massive line.

I cross my arms and look over at MB while we stand in line, waiting for our badges.

"Can't believe you actually went for it, dude."

I'm a big Batman fan, but MB, always an even bigger Bat-fan, is decked out in a replica of Adam West's Batman suit. It's awesome, but I'm way, way, way too self-conscious to pull it off. More power to him, I suppose. I settled for a suit, tie, and fake mustache. I don't mind playing Jim Gordon to his Bats.

"So, my man, mind pulling something out of that utility belt and getting us bumped up in the line? Maybe some Bat-Fanboy-Repellent?"

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
twylight
One And Only

"WIEG!" I throw my arms around him, narrowly missing hitting the guy in front of him in the head. That was close. Wieg is one of the few guys I still call by his Hype name despite knowing is 'real life alias'.

"Have you heard from the other guys? The first panel isn't till 10 so that gives us time to meet them at 9 provided you get through the line fast. We can have a gathering up at the Sails Pavilion then. Unless you have a Panel at 10?" I hurriedly flip through my schedule with it's highlights and notes. Nope.. my first panel wasn't until 11:00 and it wasn't anything that would be terribly busy. I could probably wait till around 9:25 to get in line. Comic Con: 10% shopping, 30% panels, 50% lines. I sighed.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post
"WIEG!" I throw my arms around him, narrowly missing hitting the guy in front of him in the head. That was close. Wieg is one of the few guys I still call by his Hype name despite knowing is 'real life alias'.
"HOLYCRAP!!!" I blurt out as I'm assaulted.

Quote:
"Have you heard from the other guys? The first panel isn't till 10 so that gives us time to meet them at 9 provided you get through the line fast. We can have a gathering up at the Sails Pavilion then. Unless you have a Panel at 10?" I hurriedly flip through my schedule with it's highlights and notes. Nope.. my first panel wasn't until 11:00 and it wasn't anything that would be terribly busy. I could probably wait till around 9:25 to get in line. Comic Con: 10% shopping, 30% panels, 50% lines. I sighed.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down now. Take a breath. The Chuck panel's not till 11. So we've got time to meet up with everyone and maybe float around the floor for a little while."

"So, one step at a time. How was the trip? Have you two killed each other yet? How was last night?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
twylight
One And Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
"HOLYCRAP!!!" I blurt out as I'm assaulted.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down now. Take a breath. The Chuck panel's not till 11. So we've got time to meet up with everyone and maybe float around the floor for a little while."

"So, one step at a time. How was the trip? Have you two killed each other yet? How was last night?"
How is he always so calm? We do not have time to 'float around' the floor. The Chuck line was so long last year that I barely made it in! Stupid True Blooders trying to claim seats early in the day...

"The trip was good, really long though. As always.
Last night was fan-tastic! I got pretty much all my shopping done except for the Hasbro exclusive I want."

I paused, "Okay, well let me send a text off to Shlee and the other guys."

I quickly texted We'll be in the Sails Pavilion around 9ish by the inside lobby. to Shlee and all the guys I had numbers for.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

"And of course, we've obviously killed each other. We want parts in the Walking Dead."

Merce is so wound up she looks like she's gonna blow. I know she gets stressed about the busy schedule, but you just have to learn to roll with the punches. Was I disappointed that I didn't get to see Joss Whedon at all last year? Yeah, but damnit, I met Geoff Johns in the hotel lobby. I consider that a win.

"All I know is that if I miss the Avengers panel again, I'm gonna shoot someone. Or maybe I'll just stab someone with a pen. That's a thing here, right?"

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #22
Shlee
Hype! Idol Queen

"Yes, Grandma Bev, I promise I'll be safe. Thanks again for letting me stay, I'm so glad I got to visit for a few days. I love you, bye!" I call over my shoulder as I'm rushing from my grandmother's house at around 5:30 in the morning.

The drive from Huntington Beach to San Diego isn't one I particularly wish to be doing right at the current moment, but it's COMIC CON I'm going to! And while that might not seem like a big deal to some people, it's a huge deal to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no stranger to cons either. I go every year to the biggest anime convention in Denver. But this is like... Mecca for geeks and nerds of every age, sex, and color! I'm stoked. Not to mention I get to meet like... Every Hyper I've really been interested in seeing, and of course, I get to spend more time with my two best friends from here! EEEEEEEEEEEE!

Okay, girly squeeling and inner monologue over. The drive isn't terrible. At least it's early in the morning, the air is very cool (what a deceiver you are, California sunshine!) and my iPhone is playing only the best mix of music. Ever.

I get into San Diego about two hours after I've left my grandmother's house. 7:30 AM. God I haven't seen you in weeks. *sigh* Oh well!

Pulling into the parking lot at the hotel I'll be staying at, I find what is quite possibly the last open spot. Thank God I was smart enough to rent a car for this trip. Even if it's almost impossible to park and we'll be walking most of the time, I like knowing I have the absolute freedom to go wherever the hell I feel like, whenever the hell I feel like it.

I hope out and pull my phone from the center console almost as an afterthought. Popping the trunk, I dig through my duffel bag and pull out my wallet, hand sanitizer, and a camera. I also make sure to grab the tiny little pouch that my littlest doll fits in. We have to document this trip together, after all!

I make sure my duffel bag is safe and secure in the trunk of the rental car, double check I have the keys, shut the door and make sure it's locked and the alarm is set. I hurry my way down the block toward the convention center when my phone goes off. Pulling it out of my bra, I glance down at what it says.

"We'll be in the Sails Pavilion around 9ish by the inside lobby." Ah, yes. Thank you, Mercé!

BAM! I look up and there is a massive line outside to pick up badges. "Dammit... Why do I have to wait so looooong? Oh well, at least I'll pick up the Bat-freaks," I giggle to myself.

And it's the truth. I am decked out. Bright red hair, recently dyed that color, pulled up into a high pony tail on my head. Black, square-rimmed glasses. Batman t-shirt. Bright yellow belt complete with fake batarangs and a real grappling hook. Jeans. Black chucks. And along with my natural good looks and green eyes, I'm pulling off the Babs Gordon look pretty damn well, if I do say so myself!

My eyes scan the crowd for anyone I might possibly know, and I've made sure the home made permanent name badge I made for myself that says "HYPE!" on the top along with Shlee on it (plus a couple of sweet Babs pictures) is very clearly visible against my chest. I've got an entire stack of them for the rest of the crew too. I only hope they like them!

I double check my phone before putting it back in my bra. Thank god I remembered my head phones. Jamming out to good music at least helps pass the time, but it's already been about an hour. I'm gonna be late if I don't get my badge soon. Line's moving quickly though... YES! Next in line.

I walk up to the table, check in, gather up my badge, and head into the convention center. "Now where the heck is this... Sails Pavilion..." I muse to myself. Throwing open the schedule I have, along with a handy-dandy print out of the layout for the convention center, I skip off in the right direction, hoping someone I know will spot me and call me over.

"Oh man, I am so freakin' lost..." I utter under my breath, channeling Private Donut as I make my way deeper into the convention center.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Oh! Sjáđu! Logandi kind!
Oh! Look! A flaming sheep!
Ţetta er besta signature í heimi.
Shlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It's good to be back in San Diego.

I make the long walk down the Gaslamp Quarter towards the Convention Centre, dressed in nothing but my Green Lantern costume. I've called this "the walk of shame" in previous years, but the journey feels even longer walking it alone, without my friend Melissa. A thin layer of spandex doesn't give the body much coverage, and as I feel the morning breeze on my buttocks, it almost feels like I'm walking around naked.

And today, there's the added embarrassment of knowing that when I meet Hypers like Byrd and Shlee for the first time, I'll be wearing tights, wellies and a cheap, glittery party mask. At least with Rob, Wieg, Serge and Merce I got to pretend to be normal for a day or two before revealing myself as a cosplaying mega-nerd. But I come bearing gifts. I've brought a satchel crammed full of copies of my comic, The Standard. Enough for everyone!

My phone beeps, letting me know I've got a text. I flip open my phone, and it's a message from Merce, saying to meet at the Sails Pavillon at 9. Should make it there just in time. I already got my 4-day pass at Preview night, and have my badge dangling around my neck. So no need to worry about lines.

I reach the convention centre, and it feels like returning home. My third year in a row here, and I still can't help but get a thrill of excitement when I see the convention centre in all its glory. Containing a squee, I navigate through the bustling crowds, ready to make my way to the Sails Pavillion. On my way, I spot a familiar face, looking a bit lost. Yes, that's gotta be Shlee. I sneak up behind her, then place my hands on her shoulders and shout:

"F**KITY-BYE!"

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
Shlee
Hype! Idol Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Containing a squee, I navigate through the bustling crowds, ready to make my way to the Sails Pavillion. On my way, I spot a familiar face, looking a bit lost. Yes, that's gotta be Shlee. I sneak up behind her, then place my hands on her shoulders and shout:

"F**KITY-BYE!"
Startled, I jump and spin around, already balling my hands into fists as I step back on one leg, ready to strike. Instead, my mouth falls open and my whole body goes slack as I take in the ENTIRE sight of Keyser Soze in a Green Lantern costume.

"Aaaahh-" I begin to shout until I realize that there's a glittery-masked cosplay nerd standing in front of me. My scream very quickly turns into almost maniacal laughter as I realize that it can only be the one and only Keyser Soze in the flesh.

I throw my arms around John and hug him super tight, squeeing in delight once my laughs have subsided. "KEYS! Hi! How are you?! I'm sooooooo excited to see you! ****ITY BYE!" The last two words come out in what can only be a very obnoxious fake British accent, though I'm trying my hardest.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Oh! Sjáđu! Logandi kind!
Oh! Look! A flaming sheep!
Ţetta er besta signature í heimi.
Shlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
twylight
One And Only

We finally reach the doors and I split off from Wieg to enter through the 'with badge' one, or whatever it's called. Bouncing up the escalator I stop and turn to survey the iconic ceiling as I rise above it. The black, white and yellow signs remind me that nope, this isn't a dream. I need to remember to take a picture of the ceiling on my way down next time. Tradition to do it every year.
The escalator reaches the top and I tediously make my way through people to the Sails Pavilion. Wieg should be almost through the Badge line and is probably up there himself. It's my favorite room in the convention center, the ceiling opens up to 25 feet high with canvas tents that from outside reflect the sails of the ships in the harbor.

I look around and spy the two people I'm most excited to see. Shlee and Soze. I make my way towards them, noticing his sparkly green mask. Really? He's had an entire year to be able to get a proper one.

"HEY!" I practically pounce Shlee in a hug.