The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #101
JP
Smelly

Default Re: "Only have one more new character" in sequel says Vaughn

I think McAvoy is more then getting his share of accolades with this film. And rightfully so.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #102
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
However I suspect that after XMFC, people will find Xavier much more appealing, and therefore somebody to relate to. Reviews also say that McAvoy's Xavier was brilliant.
I have no doubts he's brilliant, but then I'm used to his acting style. James is a powerhouse (and I know because I've met him; he's so incredibly energetic), but he loves playing self-contained characters - I guess he considers it a challenge to make apparently boring and common characters look interesting.
But it's a subtle thing. I get it, you get it, and maybe some critics will get it. Unfortunately my guess is that, the public's perception aligned with Vaughn's own preference will force Xavier more into the background in the next film. This is just how I feel about it.

But I agree that this version of Xavier sounds fascinating; it's amazing how both Vaughn and McAvoy worked on his flaws and doubts, and it'll certainly make Xavier look much more sympathetic and interesting to some fans. I just wish Vaughn would sound as enthusiastic talking about what they achieved as he is when he talks about Magneto. His depressing view of a Xavier post-whatever-happens-to- him-that-will-put-him-in-a-wheelchair isn't exactly helping.

Quote:
At least Vaughn doesn't claim Wolverine to be his favourite character. Now that would be horrors!
Haha, Wolverine is my favorite character, hence my screen name! But I never had any problem with a new series of X-Men movies without him. I just wish he gets a really great solo movie next time.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 05-25-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #103
pyromaniac
Side-Kick

I see what you mean. But just want to clarify - do you only like Xavier because of McAvoy, or do you like Xavier by his own merits?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #104
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

No, I like Xavier. I like the X-Men - that idea of the team Xavier built - as a whole. He was never a favorite of mine, though, because...well, I'm generally quite selective about my preferences. Meaning I really like Logan.
I've talked a few times here about how a character like Magneto isn't attractive to me. I'm Team Xavier all the way - I like people who build, not people who destroy, no matter their particular (or "justified") reasons for doing so. To me, Magneto is a terrorist, and I'm not into terrorists. They start all noble and all and it's okay, until they start killing innocents and betraying their friends for their "cause". Not cool, man.

So, I'm not interested in people like The Joker or Magneto or the so-called "villains". They're extremely well-built characters, and fascinating as well, but I know I would always choose the level-headed, pacifist approach. And Xavier represents this so well, even if as a person he's as flawed as the rest of us.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #105
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

You just learn not to let what certain directors/actors/people say get to you, as they can be very blunt about it all.
This is where I miss Bryan's interviews more. But Vaughn seems to have moulded a great movie so that's all that matters!

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #106
JNX
Side-Kick

hmmm........I hope it's not Wolverine.

I want to see young Jean and Scott.

JNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #107
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I hope its young Storm

Jean and Scott should be in Third Class

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #108
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well according to Spoiler thread
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Emma Frost,Azarel,Angel,and Riptide all Join Magneto after defeat
of shaw.So In sequel the brotherhood would be them,and Mystique.Vaughn will probally add an X-Man to work with Havok,Banshee,and Beast.When Xavier uses cerebro for first time both Cyclops and Storm are seen as Children.So unless the sequel jumps to mid to late 1970's It won't be them.
I see 3 possibilties
1:A preadmantaum Wolverine(Possibly to further divorce the films from
Wolverine he wouldn't have bone Claws)
2:Polaris(In late 1960's or early 1970's you could have teenage Polaris and if they want to Include the reconn she's Magneto's daughter she could be result result of brief relationship he had In Late 1940's or early 1950's)
3:The Juggernaut(Kinda crazy thought but they could Include him so he could he done better and they could have his stepbrother relationship with Xavier.Plus there was a time when he was working with the X-Men in comics)

With regards to Wolverine.In comics Xavier has been shown to not ell the truth and keep things from the X-men.In X2 they certainly made a hint both he and Magneto may know more about Wolverine than they let on.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #109
ken smith
Side-Kick

What about the Synch character that was rumoured to be played Tony Rich. That character might be Synch. But i could be wrong here's the link http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=22871

Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #110
protocida
Side-Kick

I believe Synch has a cameo in the movie.

I'm still going for Sunspot, since he was present in earlier drafts.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #111
JNX
Side-Kick

I'm fine with Jean and Scott not appearing in this film. Well, I'm not fine. But I've accepted it.

However, if I have to wait till the 3rd film to finally see them, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

I don't think they should wait too long before introducing some of the more "familiar" characters to the team.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #112
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

i dont see why storm,cyclops, or jean arent present... i mean they were really the first ones...
the mutants he chose for this film in terms of powers are the least visually interesting.
only mutants in the big league like storm or jean could fight magneto, but most likely it'll be a guy.
shame we'll never see storm done right...

Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #113
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNX View Post
I'm fine with Jean and Scott not appearing in this film. Well, I'm not fine. But I've accepted it.

However, if I have to wait till the 3rd film to finally see them, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

I don't think they should wait too long before introducing some of the more "familiar" characters to the team.
i agree you can only distance the films so much for so long without people wanting to finally see the golden x-men team members they grew up loving.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #114
JP
Smelly

Kinda hard for three character who weren't born yet to appear in this film.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #115
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
i dont think they're really going for continuity with the previous x-films...
seeing as how mystique and beast are already older teens in this. that would make them like 60 yrs old now.
plus jean and cyclops should have been born already and be the same age, they were the first.

i dont care if they are not in this film, i accepted that long ago because i understood why vaughn would distance himself from whats already been done.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #116
JP
Smelly

The reason they're not in this film is because they weren't born yet. Plain and simple.

Beast was obviously older in X3, and Mystique's age was never given.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #117
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:

I pretty much feel the same way.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #118
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Well they could be little kids at this time and be early teens in the sequel. That would make them late 30s/early 40s in X1 which totally works out. I thought they were mid-late 30s in X1 anyways and if they fudge the numbers a little bit it won't hurt.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #119
JP
Smelly

Don't disagree about that. I'd be a little disappointed if those specufic three aren't in the sequel.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #120
JNX
Side-Kick

Quote:
The reason they're not in this film is because they weren't born yet. Plain and simple.

Beast was obviously older in X3, and Mystique's age was never given.
well, according to the spoiler thread:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

When Xavier uses Cerebro to search for mutants, you get to see quick glimpses of young Scott and Storm. Apparently, no young Jean, though.

Last edited by JNX; 05-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #121
JNX
Side-Kick

also, in X1, when Xavier takes Wolverine on a tour of the school, he refers to Scott, Jean, and Storm as "some of my 1st students."

obviously, First Class is breaking that continuity, since those 3 are NOT in the "first class."

I could see them as the 2nd class, though.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #122
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Who said that the first class of students ends with one film?

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #123
Hogdog

Quote:
also, in X1, when Xavier takes Wolverine on a tour of the school, he refers to Scott, Jean, and Storm as "some of my 1st students."

obviously, First Class is breaking that continuity, since those 3 are NOT in the "first class."

I could see them as the 2nd class, though.
There's lots of ways they could meld Jean's and Scott's recruitments. They could just reshoot the scenes of Jeans recruitment and Scott's recruitment at the helicopter scene at the end of WO with Xavier in a wheelchair. Or maybe Jean's recruitment was a telepathic vision on the astral plane or something with the help of Cerebro maybe. Scott's recruitment with Xavier stepping off the helicopter in WO could've actually been Mystique posing as Xavier and recruiting for Mag's Brotherhood. Then you'd have a nice story of how Xavier wins him back to his side. I'm sure there is lots of other ways the writing pros could come up with.

Hogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #124
Moofafoo

This stuff about it not being in continuity and retconning XOW and Last Stand pisses me off. Why is it so odd to think that the events of XOW might not have a bearing on the sequel? Jason Stryker went to the school, his mother killed herself and Stryker blames mutants. Stryker recruits Wolverine and Sabretooth into the governments Mutant Division. We now know the X-men were the first mutant division.

So what if, when Wolverine leaves in Nigeria, the thing with Strykers son happens and he starts rounding up the mutants especially the brotherhood (Mystique rescues her child she has as a result of an experiment involving Azazel???) . It would mean Magneto has to turn to Charles for help. That'd explain how they're together when they recruit Jean in X3. One of the new X-men (Gambit) gets taken in but escapes and goes back to New Orleans? We all know that Wolverine shows up and they head off to the island. So what if Magneto does something to turn Sabretooth into what we see of him in X-1 at the very end?

At the end of the sequel we could end up with Sabretooth, Mystique and Magneto in the Brotherhood? Clearly heavy casualties which explains why Magneto hates Stryker so much in X2?

We end up with Beast, Jean, Cyclops and maybe some of the rescued mutants in the X-men? Maybe Havok is a casualty and Banshee and Moira go to Muir Island?

So for the 3rd movie in the trilogy, that means introducing Toad on the Brotherhood and Storm into the X-men and "outing" the mutants which explains where Beast goes. This sets the opening for X-men 1 where they're talking about mutant registration!

Moofafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #125
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

All the upcoming movies are ignoring Wolverine, including the sequel.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote