The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Possible details on "Man of Steel" first draft.

I couldn't find the News & Speculation thread, so a moderator could feel free to merge it with the actual one or change the title to "Man of Steel News & Speculation Thread" or whatever. Anyway, this was posted as a rumor on Cosmic Book News, not sure how reliable they are. But it's something interesting to read about. They potentially have spoilers, specifically the final bullet point. Anyhow, read on and speculate away.

Quote:
Is this movie still coming out or what?

Haven't heard much in regards to the new Zack Snyder Superman reboot starring Henry Cavill, Man of Steel, as of late. Maybe Warner Bros. put it on the down-low for the Smallville finale promos?

Anyway, I thought I would recap what a reported source close to the Snyder camp sent over -- including news on Lex Luthor's role in the first draft script and more.

Here we go:

• Braniac destroys Krypton and may be set-up to be the villain in the sequel (if there is one).

• Krypton will not be the crystalline version like in the Donner films, but will incorporate technology, which is now considered "definite Kryptonian technology" with a more alien contemporary feel.

• The Krytonians featured will be Jor-El, Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur. Lara Lor-Van was mentioned in earlier drafts, but not a sure thing as the scripts are changing.

• Zack Snyder would like Jon Hamm to portray Jor-El.

• There are flashback scenes related to General Zod and WILL feature Krypton -- despite the lawsuit stuff.

• Faora hates all men and is working with Zod and Jax-Ur to get out of the Phantom Zone.

• Jax-Ur was a close friend to Jor-El, who was exiled to the Phantom Zone, and is now working with Zod to free themselves (which they do).

• Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals escape and find Smallville by locking onto Kal-El's ship, which is buried in a field.

• Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur don't just go all out and start attacking and invading Earth. They initially try to blend in and get a custom to their surroundings, but think the Earth is dirty and smells, that the humans are wasting a "perfect" planet. They then start to formulate a plan to make a "better" Krypton.

• Zod's main goal is to make a new Krypton, using Earth, with him as leader. He plans to use Faora to start a new perfect Kryptonian bloodline and Jax-Ur to use his vast scientific knowledge to accelerate technology on Earth.

• Zod and Lex Luthor do have interactions. With LexCorp being the most advanced company on the planet, Zod plans to use LexCorp technology and advance it to Kryptonian levels, as it's the most "compatible."

• In the first draft there was no Fortress of Solitude.

• A key role in the film will be that of Gen. Samuel Lane, father of Lois Lane. Ed Harris and Jeff Bridges are being looked at for this role. Gen. Sam Lane is leading Earth's defense against Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur. He grows a hatred to all Aliens -- including Superman.

• Lindsay Lohan is up for the role of Lana Lang. She isn't Clark's High School sweetheart, just a girl he likes. Lana isn't interested in him because she is one of the popular girls, while Clark is geeky character who can't really show what he is like -- a "Superman." Lana does find out though when the school bus crashes and Clark saves the day -- as she sees him.

• CGI test shots of a Metropolis skyline were done, mixing the Vancouver and Chicago skylines for plate shots and exterior shots during the film. Identifiable buildings were replaced by key buildings from the script such as LexCorp Tower and the Daily Planet Building.

• In the first draft of the script, Lex Luthor forces the Kryptonian trio through a Phantom Zone portal using Kryptonite in the final battle. At the end of the movie, Lex considers forcing Superman through as well, but relents. Note: It may end differently as that was the first draft.

Again, keep in mind this is all rumors!

Stay tuned to Cosmic Book News as more on the Man Of Steel develops.

Superman flies into theaters December 2012 directed by Zack Snyder starring, Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel, Diane Lane as Martha "Ma" Kent, Kevin Costner as Jonathan "Pa" Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as Zod.

Be sure to check out the Cosmic Book News Superman Movie Hub for even more news and information.
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...ore-lex-luthor

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: Possible details on "Man of Steel" first draft.

Some of that sounds okay, some of it sounds like garbage. General Thunderbolt Lane is one of the lamest ideas in the history of comics and a shameless rip-off of Marvel. And how the hell can Lara not be included in the movie??? She's only Superman's mother.

Brainiac destroying Krypton is also a terrible idea.

Hope most of this is fake/wrong.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

1. Sweet, re-vamped/actually threatening Brainiac is coming

2. not thrilled but fine whatever

3. You have to show his mother, that would be retarded to just show Jor-El sending Kal-El off and saving him

4. John Hamm as Jor-El...........cool

5. ....kinda un-needed but cool

6. nice going with the original Faora

7. ........ok sounds like there mixing Jax-Ur with the re-vamped Non that was introduced in the comics during the Last Son & New Krypton recent storylines

8. I'm liking

9. 10. 11. All good, liking very much

12. .....NO FORTRESS!!...........WHAT THE ****???? better be changed to have it

13. ok again going with the new re-vamped version of Sam Lane (from the same storylines as mentioned above).......not hating

14. ok Lindsay Lohan.........GET THE **** AWAY FROM THE SUPERMAN MOVIES!!!!!!!......also, stop ****ing around with Lana's character, she is Clark's childhood sweetheart/first love, she likes him, he likes her......its not complicated....enough of this High School Musical crap "She's with the popular crowd, He's a loser" crap......didn't work in the original movies, plain out failed on Smallville.........IT DOESN'T WORK........stop trying to force it on us, give us how its written in the comics.....

15. cool

16. While not a bad ending.......I want something more.....Superman & Zod in a all out war with each other, buildings being blown apart, streets being torn up, ultimately ending with Superman literally booting Zod into the Phantom Zone, Zod needs to see it coming knowing there's nothing he can do to stop it, cause we have all see the Zod being tricked into the Zone thing way to many times, spice it up......something like that is a welcome change

Over all.............I like most of these rumors, needs changing in a few places (**** YOU LINDSAY) but overall sounds good so far

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Reynolds/Pine - Green Lantern -
Bay
Gosling/Kwanten - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
- It's the Dawn Of A New Day!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF
• Lindsay Lohan is up for the role of Lana Lang.
...and done.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Some of this sounds like an older report that apparently was false.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I remember Jamie mentioning he knows someone who lives near the place where they're building the Fortress or something to that effect.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
But it link directly to BRAINIAC storyline by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.

A great story, btw.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I thought the Lindsay Lohan rumor was debunked?

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

after a month of nothing it's at least nice to see some rumors. some of these sound good, others sound not so good (Lindsay Lohan). i hope we get some real news soon. i'm kinda feenin'.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Lindsay Lohan will never get a role in any major Hollywood film. Never until she cleans her act up, which so far shows no signs of letting up.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Depends. If him stealing the city of Kandor starts the chain reaction, core erosion or whatever it is that leads to Krypton's destruction, it can work.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Any else thinks this feels like a Smallville/SM2 mash up?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Any else thinks this feels like a Smallville/SM2 mash up?
No?

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Some of that sounds okay, some of it sounds like garbage. General Thunderbolt Lane is one of the lamest ideas in the history of comics and a shameless rip-off of Marvel. And how the hell can Lara not be included in the movie??? She's only Superman's mother.

Hope most of this is fake/wrong.
Well, they ripped off Catwoman first.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Some of this sounds like an older report that apparently was false.
I was feeling that I read some of this before, but wasn't sure.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think that having Brainiac involved with the destruction of Krypton is a good story angle. I don't think that he should be the cause of it, but I'm really fond of the STAS version of Brainiac not warning the planet of it's imminent doom in order to preserve himself.

Personally, I also think that Superman: Earth One presented a really good idea for the destruction of Krypton. They should use that one in the movie.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Depends. If him stealing the city of Kandor starts the chain reaction, core erosion or whatever it is that leads to Krypton's destruction, it can work.

I like this idea. Regardless of anything I have a feeling Brainiac may have a part of Krypton in some way, either it be like TAS, or shrinking/stealing Kandor creates the chain reaction would be good. I think that would work. But in some way I think not only for us fans, but to set up one of the arch nemesis of Supes would be done. I figured that they will set up Brainiac in some regard. And if that is the case, it means we will get to see Brainiac at least in MOS (given if any of thi sis true, which it very well may not be.)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
I'm all for him stealing Kandor and I'd love for him to come to steal Metropolis too, but the issue I have with him destroying Krypton is that it ruins the storyline of Jor-El predicting the destruction of the planet and the council not listening to him, plus it makes Brainiac a galactic scale Joe Chill. It just has never worked for me. I like the idea of Kandor being stolen and with the loss of it, the government that was reformed in Kryptonopolis was more reactionary and refused to listen to Jor-El's warnings. This makes Brainiac somewhat indirectly responsible for the Science Council failing to heed Jor-El without him directly destroying Krypton, which I just think is way to cliched an idea.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Frodo
Side-Kick

I don't know if I buy the story , but some of it sounds good while some sounds bad. If this was the first draft , I could see why it would need work.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Peter from Slashfilm says it's fake.

http://twitter.com/#!/slashfilm/stat...10535419609088

Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #21
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Braniac destroys Krypton and may be set-up to be the villain in the sequel (if there is one).

Quote:
The Krytonians featured will be Jor-El, Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur.
Jax-Ur? Fine.

Quote:
Lara Lor-Van was mentioned in earlier drafts, but not a sure thing as the scripts are changing.
No Lara? Huh?

Quote:
Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals escape and find Smallville by locking onto Kal-El's ship, which is buried in a field.
So Earth is endangered because of Superman's existence. Said it before, I don't like this as the storyline of the first movie because it implies that without Superman Earth would be better off.

Quote:
In the first draft there was no Fortress of Solitude.
Could still appear in the next movie, so no problem for me.

Quote:
Lindsay Lohan is up for the role of Lana Lang. She isn't Clark's High School sweetheart, just a girl he likes. Lana isn't interested in him because she is one of the popular girls, while Clark is geeky character who can't really show what he is like -- a "Superman."
So does this also lead to a certain mild-mannered reporter disguise?

Quote:
In the first draft of the script, Lex Luthor forces the Kryptonian trio through a Phantom Zone portal using Kryptonite in the final battle. At the end of the movie, Lex considers forcing Superman through as well, but relents.
So Lex saves the day and Superman is again too incompetent to win on his own?

So... if this is legit I can say
a) at least they did some research (okay, in the day of the internet it isn't really that difficult to find out these things...)
b) they weren't really that creative

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #22
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
I'm all for him stealing Kandor and I'd love for him to come to steal Metropolis too, but the issue I have with him destroying Krypton is that it ruins the storyline of Jor-El predicting the destruction of the planet and the council not listening to him, plus it makes Brainiac a galactic scale Joe Chill. It just has never worked for me. I like the idea of Kandor being stolen and with the loss of it, the government that was reformed in Kryptonopolis was more reactionary and refused to listen to Jor-El's warnings. This makes Brainiac somewhat indirectly responsible for the Science Council failing to heed Jor-El without him directly destroying Krypton, which I just think is way to cliched an idea.
I agree with the bolded part.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #23
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
This.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #24
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Sounds fake to me, really.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #25
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

Fake! fake! fake!

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Closed Thread