The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default If Matthew Vaughn directed X3, would it be better film?

Probably yes and I imagine it getting a 60% to 70% rating at the rotten tomatoes.com but the story would still be the same.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Default Re: If Matthew Vaughn directed X3, would it be better film?

Definitely! I think the story would of been different too.

Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
bullets
bang bang

Vaughn left because he felt rushed. I wish they would of just waited.. Cyclops wouldn't of gotten killed off and Singer might of come back.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Anno_Domini
Banned User

How do you know Cyclops wouldn't have been killed?

I didn't mind The Last Stand except for two things: the way they ended Professor X's storyline(I'd actually rather have him dead then transfer his mind into someone else) and how Rogue took the cure. Granted, Roge's storyline kind of went full circle, but she was still a crucial element of the X-Men. Everything else, I enjoyed. We got Beast, Angel, Colossus and Iceman. Which makes me happy that we got the mutants that I am a fan of.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
How do you know Cyclops wouldn't have been killed?

Because Marsden(Cyclops) had scheduling conflicts (Superman Returns) and his role had to be reduced when X3 was rushed into production.

So theoretically if they waited for Singer to finish SR then Marsden should of also been available. Then again other actors might not of been available if they did wait so it's kind of a catch 22 maybe , idk.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Rac
Deadite

Would it still have had the exact same script/plot? If yes, maybe. I really didn't like how Phoenix was made into a subplot.

Also, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut was awful casting, and that was by Vaughn.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
Because Marsden(Cyclops) had scheduling conflicts (Superman Returns) and his role had to be reduced when X3 was rushed into production.

So theoretically if they waited for Singer to finish SR then Marsden should of also been available. Then again other actors might not of been available if they did wait so it's kind of a catch 22 maybe , idk.
Well, if Singer stayed on X3, then perhaps someone else would've been the director for Superman Returns as well as maybe James would've still been tapped as White's son(don't even remember what his name was, haha). If Marsden can jump ships so quickly, I think he'd do the same even if Singer wasn't directing, imo. It's all about money for a lot of these actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
Would it still have had the exact same script/plot? If yes, maybe. I really didn't like how Phoenix was made into a subplot.

Yes, the story, imo, was fine. It could've used some expansion perhaps, but overall, there was nothing really wrong with the story at all. I even prefer the Phoenix outcome than what Singer wanted.

Plus...Jones as Juggernaut was awesome, haha. "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!"....may be a VERY cheesy and VERY corny line, but I loved it, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
Kokomo29
"You're my #1 uh-guuuy!"

Jason Flemyng stated in a recent interview that he had done screen tests, etc. for "Beast" when Vaughn was attached to the project. I'll see if I can find the interview. Would have been interesting to see Flemyng in that role.

"Do you want me to take him down or would you rather send in more guys for him to beat up?"
(Clint Barton, my friend. You. Are. Awesome.)

Kokomo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I would love to see Vaughn's story. He boarded the whole thing out before he left.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

I think it would have been a better movie because it would have probably been a better made film. I don't really blame Ratner for character deaths, but there are some creative decisions I do blame him for (Rogue getting cured I heard he advocated, everyone else disagreed, Wolverine's awful we stand together speech, as opposed to the deleted version, etc) but more importantly, the direction is mediocre. The way the story is told doesn't have much life to it. More eye candy than heart. I think Vaughn's version would of had more heart to it, and if the character deaths were in it you probably would have felt something more than anger. I feel more when Xavier
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
is paralyzed in First Class
than when Xavier
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
dies in X3.
There I just felt angry.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Yes, because Vaughn is a better director than Brett Ratner.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Plus more than 103 minutes!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

It would have looked better and felt less generic, because Vaughn is an infinitely more skilled director than Ratner, but ultimately it's the script that determines a movie's quality, and Zak Penn is an awful writer.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

If the story was still the same, no.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Ipodman
Love Tension

Most other directors could have made a better X3...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Manic X
Side-Kick

We will never know. Vaughn had his chance, and he bailed. So asking this question is completely pointless.

Manic X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #17
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
It would have looked better and felt less generic, because Vaughn is an infinitely more skilled director than Ratner, but ultimately it's the script that determines a movie's quality, and Zak Penn is an awful writer.
Simon Kinberg is the awful writer

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #18
merbass
Side-Kick

The story remains similar, but it played out differently. It has more soul. I could tell you some of the differences.

- Alcatraz wasn't a facility that develops a cure. It is a prison that holds dangerous mutants. Magneto did not use golden gate bridge to take the mutants to destroy the facility, all just to kill a boy like in the movie (how dramatic). The bridge was supposed to carry the freed mutants, including Mystique back to the main land. When he found Mystique, she was cured. They both have emotional conversation and she asks him to kill her in which he does . You can find story board of some of these scenes in Fantastic 4 DVD special preview feature.

- Rogue didn't bother about the cure, but joined brotherhood. She, however turned out to be a spy and reported the plan back to X-mansion.

- Collossus was sent to Germany to look for Nightcrawler and convinces him to help them fight. He declines to be involved and chose the life in monastery. This is his supposed brief appearance which they decide to drop.

- Beast, Kitty and Iceman infiltrates Worthington lab to rescue Jimmy. This scene will especially shows Kitty and Beast's acrobatic power.

- The final scene was supposed to take place at Washington DC. You can see the deleted scene in which the jet lands on frozen lake near White house.

- There is supposed to be a mutant prostitute, who uses pheromone to get what she wants. (replaced by Arclight)

- Cyclops would not appear and only be mentioned as having left the mansion or committed suicide earlier.

- Angel is supposed to have much smaller wings

- Cat Beast

- Storm de-powered and Iceman taking a lead

- Logan and Storm has passionate relationship ( This, I'm glad didn't happen)

- 40 minutes longer (confirmed by Matthew)

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
The story remains similar, but it played out differently. It has more soul. I could tell you some of the differences.

- Alcatraz wasn't a facility that develops a cure. It is a prison that holds dangerous mutants. Magneto did not use golden gate bridge to take the mutants to destroy the facility, all just to kill a boy like in the movie (how dramatic). The bridge was supposed to carry the freed mutants, including Mystique back to the main land. When he found Mystique, she was cured. They both have emotional conversation and she asks him to kill her in which he does . You can find story board of some of these scenes in Fantastic 4 DVD special preview feature.

- Rogue didn't bother about the cure, but joined brotherhood. She, however turned out to be a spy and reported the plan back to X-mansion.

- Collossus was sent to Germany to look for Nightcrawler and convinces him to help them fight. He declines to be involved and chose the life in monastery. This is his supposed brief appearance which they decide to drop.

- Beast, Kitty and Iceman infiltrates Worthington lab to rescue Jimmy. This scene will especially shows Kitty and Beast's acrobatic power.

- The final scene was supposed to take place at Washington DC. You can see the deleted scene in which the jet lands on frozen lake near White house.

- There is supposed to be a mutant prostitute, who uses pheromone to get what she wants. (replaced by Arclight)

- Cyclops would not appear and only be mentioned as having left the mansion or committed suicide earlier.

- Cat Beast

I like everything except the bolded. Cyclops needed to have a prominent role in X3. I think just replacing alot of the Wolverine scenes with Cyclops scenes would have made the movie much better. Imagine Cyclops going to confront Jean and Magneto in the woods instead of a rehash of Wolverine scenes we've seen in the previous films. Magneto and Cyclops could have actually of had a little battle instead of Wolverine just being tossed aside.

And how about Wolverine being the one to tell Cyclops that they might need to kill Jean. Two different men that love the same woman trying to come to terms with what's happening. Much better than Storm telling Wolverine that he needs to kill Jean. Why does Storm want to kill her? Why does she think she's beyond saving?

I think Magneto using the bridge to free his people was a great idea and would have fit better than going to kill Leech. Why kill him? He's a mutant they should have just taken him with them. But the bridge scene could have been like Moses parting the red sea, it could have been very powerful.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Vaughn left because he felt rushed. I wish they would of just waited.. Cyclops wouldn't of gotten killed off and Singer might of come back.
Killing off Cyclops happened under Vaughn's watch in the script that he wrote with Kinberg and Penn... sooo...

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post

Considering that most of the script was written under Vaughn's watch, then yes, it pretty much would have been the same script / plot.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Killing off Cyclops happened under Vaughn's watch in the script that he wrote with Kinberg and Penn... sooo...

Well by the time Vaughn was involved maybe they knew Marsden was signed for Superman Returns and wouldn't be as available. Also they could of changed the script once they found out. I've not read Vaughn's script but my point was that I would of preferred they waited for Singer. I don't blame them Fox studios in their decision but if Singer was able to come back I would of been happier.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

honestly if Cyclops was ever essential to the plot of X3, then they studio could've replaced Marsden with another actor...they replaced Kitty 3 times, they could've did it for X3, truth is the character was never a big part of the films...

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well by the time Vaughn was involved maybe they knew Marsden was signed for Superman Returns and wouldn't be as available. Also they could of changed the script once they found out. I've not read Vaughn's script but my point was that I would of preferred they waited for Singer. I don't blame them Fox studios in their decision but if Singer was able to come back I would of been happier.
Fox has problem reuniting the cast for X3 that even before the production began, they had plan to end the series and he spin off for Wolverine was planned. This is why Wolverine was the main and only one stand out in the movie (check out the deleted scenes with Iceman).

They didn't even wanna include Cyclops because they want Wolverine to be the one that fixed all the problem. I'm glad they chose to kill him off, however offscreen. Having him committed suicide was far more stupid !

Same goes for Mystique, they could have cast any model in her place, but what will she actually do the movie ? standing beside Magneto and be a hench woman like Jean ? She would probably stand there looking bored and ran away at the end of Jean's havoc !

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post

- Cat Beast

Wow I didn't know many of these. Some of these ideas... suck

Bryan Singer's story idea, with Emma Frost manipulating Phoenix sounded way cooler.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote