Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #51
roach
I am the night

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
The new costume has that it-could-be-alien look which I think makes sense as the suit's origin.
I don't like it when the suit and shield are attributed to the minds of Pa and Ma Kent.
The suit and shield should be alien in origin.
It kinda looks like what Nic Cage would have worn in Superman Lives, doesn't it?
sure because it makes sense that Jor-El while placing his son in a rocket to survive the planet explosion figured his son would become a superhero and made him a suit since he knew how tall and built he would be

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #52
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
The new costume has that it-could-be-alien look which I think makes sense as the suit's origin.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I don't like it when the suit and shield are attributed to the minds of Pa and Ma Kent.
The suit and shield should be alien in origin.
Agreed. It shouldn't look home-made or like a cool Halloween rental.

Quote:
It kinda looks like what Nic Cage would have worn in Superman Lives, doesn't it?
I think it's a tad more traditional than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
sure because it makes sense that Jor-El while placing his son in a rocket to survive the planet explosion figured his son would become a superhero and made him a suit since he knew how tall and built he would be
Superhero? That's Clark's usage of the suit. Originally it could have just been some sort of Kryptonian uniform.

And give Kryptonians some credit. They sure know how to make uniforms that adapt themselkves to different bodies.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #53
comicman
Side-Kick

Personally, I like the redesign. But to each their own I suppose

Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #54
camp Blood
For your health!

It could be like a alien version the Scottish clan tartans and badges

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #55
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoro View Post
my manip of DC new suit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm not a fan of the Returns costume, but I'd take that in a heartbeat (With Brighter Reds) over this steaming pile. To each his/her own I guess but, what's up with the Nehru collar? Even BR's T-shirt neckline makes more sense than this. Personally I'd be really surprised if DC are going to take a chance on modifying Superman's look in the movie based on a new unproven look that is going to be introduced in the comics later in the year. I guess we'll see very soon as they start filming in August.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
I'm not a fan of the Returns costume, but I'd take that in a heartbeat (With Brighter Reds) over this steaming pile. To each his/her own I guess but, what's up with the Nehru collar? Even BR's T-shirt neckline makes more sense than this. Personally I'd be really surprised if DC are going to take a chance on modifying Superman's look in the movie based on a new unproven look that is going to be introduced in the comics later in the year. I guess we'll see very soon as they start filming in August.
What sense does a Superman collar make to you?

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #57
bunk
superhero fan

The collar is only an issue if he's actually wearing the costume under his Clark clothes. Otherwise, it makes no difference.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #58
nouan
Banned User

To me the collar makes him look more... "official". For lack of a better word. Tight collar, tight something.. With more open neckline he's more... "free". Less formal if you will. More approachable. With the collar it looks like a ****ing uniform. I think the way I see it is tight collar-->uniform-->militaristic-->totalitarism. Not good for Superman. But this is just me. Besides tight collar just looks stupid on Superman.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #59
camp Blood
For your health!

the collar is better for zod

Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #60
Jobling
Look! Up in the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoro View Post
my manip of DC new suit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thatīs a cool suitttt,but i like more with the normal collar,and the shield more alienish like medusones amazing \S/shield design

Last edited by Jobling; 06-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #61
camp Blood
For your health!

zod suit idea , i tried to make it the opposite of supermans

the cape looks short but it would be longer if it had the bottom

Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #62
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I totally thought that was a Star Trek shirt for a glimpse of a second.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #63
camp Blood
For your health!

I see the similarities in color especially with the TNG colors

Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #64
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

A gigantic no to the new DC design being any sort of inspiration to the costume in the new film.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #65
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
What sense does a Superman collar make to you?
I really don't need to give you an explanation of why it (and some other stuff) doesn't make sense to me, but as you asked I'll tell you.

A lower neckline (somewhere between CR's and BR's would be a nice compromise) makes it more plausible that Clark could conceal the costume under his civvies. This is Superhero stuff, so a lot of it doesn't necessarily make sense, but at least they should give us some reasons to suspend disbelief ,or make things somewhat plausible. A hard raised dimensional \S/ is another addition that hopefully snyder will kick to the curb along with clunky boots. Btw with a Nehru neckline how does the cape attach? Super snaps? Double face tape?...Kryptonian Velcro? It certainly can't be tucked in. Also if they ditch the trunks, a belt is kind of redundant so why have it? If it's to break up the mass of blue the trunks w/belt accomplish that very well.

If you like that costume that's all that really matters, but I'm still hoping for Henry's costume to be a Curt Swan/ old Jim Lee look.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #66
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post

Superhero? That's Clark's usage of the suit. Originally it could have just been some sort of Kryptonian uniform.

And give Kryptonians some credit. They sure know how to make uniforms that adapt themselkves to different bodies.
ok but still why would he put a uniform in the rocket...especially if he sent him to earth so he could blend in

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #67
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
The collar is only an issue if he's actually wearing the costume under his Clark clothes. Otherwise, it makes no difference.

Okay, get rid of the shirt rip then. So what other Iconic Superman elements do you think we should ditch for this movie? I'm sure the Shirt rip won't be missed at all.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #68
roach
I am the night

the cape...who wears a cape nowadays anyhow...get rid of it
the tights...in my 39 years of life I have never seen anyone run around in tights
the boots....he should wear comfortable loafers

Old 06-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #69
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
A gigantic no to the new DC design being any sort of inspiration to the costume in the new film.

I don't think it will be. DC is just yanking our collective chains. They'll revise it for a year or so in the comics, and then have a huge fanfare (not to boost circulation I'm sure!) to announce the Classic is coming back. As I mentioned earlier, the movie is about to shoot, and it's highly unlikely they'll risk using this new untested DC comics design for the movie. Hollywood is generally big on risk aversion, but If they go with the new design, this horse will already be hobbled before it leaves the starting gate.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #70
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

He's not unrecognizable without the trunks, so the general public most likely won't care. It's not like he'll be confused for someone else.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #71
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

They would be taking a HUGE risk by putting this crapptastic design in the movie...They need to ditch it in the comics cause it sucks! People on here go on and on and on about traditionalism and iconic-ism and yet flock to the new design like a moth to a flame. Make your minds up. I think it sucks, I hate it and I don't need to explain why to anybody so don't bother asking. I hate the neckline and the no trunks. Why have a belt if you don't have any trunks or pants? It just looks TERRIBLE

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #72
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
They would be taking a HUGE risk by putting this crapptastic design in the movie...They need to ditch it in the comics cause it sucks! People on here go on and on and on about traditionalism and iconic-ism and yet flock to the new design like a moth to a flame. Make your minds up. I think it sucks, I hate it and I don't need to explain why to anybody so don't bother asking. I hate the neckline and the no trunks. Why have a belt if you don't have any trunks or pants? It just looks TERRIBLE
I don't like it either, but it's not like most people outside the fan community are going to care one way or the other.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #73
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I personally won't be surprised if they use this new design for the movie. ANd yes, it sucks. But they've been clueless with Superman for years, so I guess the only thing they have kept right (except for the electric Superman period) has been the costume, so they might as well throw it away too. Plus dumping the costume gets him further away from Siegel and Shuster's original design and that might be a benefit to the lawsuit situation.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #74
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

they need to fix the monstrosity before they get further into a hole they can't get out

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #75
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I personally won't be surprised if they use this new design for the movie. ANd yes, it sucks. But they've been clueless with Superman for years, so I guess the only thing they have kept right (except for the electric Superman period) has been the costume, so they might as well throw it away too. Plus dumping the costume gets him further away from Siegel and Shuster's original design and that might be a benefit to the lawsuit situation.

Clueless is right! Just because someone is very high up on the Hollywood movie making ladder doesn't automatically guarantee they're going to know what is appropriate for Superman. Snyder isn't who worries me, it's some of the people in the hierachy of WB/DC. Look at the hash they made with the early GL trailer. The latest stuff looks pretty great, but now it's as though they're frantically releasing as much info as they can to make up for the early promotional blunders. Personally imo they are showing way too much, it's like we've seen the whole movie already.

Closed Thread