The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
Godman
Banned User

Default Re: Why do Film Studios make unnecessary changes in adapting comicbook movies?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
So, uh, have you never been to those boards before?
obviously not lol

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #27
Godman
Banned User

Default Re: Why do Film Studios make unnecessary changes in adapting comicbook movies?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Why are you asking this question now? The X-Men film series has been nothing like the comics since the first one back in 2000. I'm normally a purist but in the case of X-Men I think that directors should take liberties with the source material. Simply because the comics are convoluted as hell and are frankly impossible to adapt faithfully.
they could have done way better than what theyve done though if they were gonna have 5 films for real...

there is no reason they messed up the time line. hell, we never even got the comic book rogue AT ALL SMH

Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Most of your points can be answered with simply this.

None of the events go together comics wise. So in order for them to go together plot wise. they needed to be adapted.

I can't for the life of me see how the comic accurate versons of these events would flow well together.
first team...cyclops, marvel girl, ice man, angel, beast...simple...wtf is so hard about following the order correctly?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #29
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Comics books aren't movies. Movies aren't comic books. This is why we have the word "adaptation". Do people really think that following the comic book to a T will make for a better film? You aren't filmmakers. As long as they make a good film and stay true to the SPIRIT of the comic is all that matters.

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Comics books aren't movies. Movies aren't comic books. This is why we have the word "adaptation". Do people really think that following the comic book to a T will make for a better film? You aren't filmmakers. As long as they make a good film and stay true to the SPIRIT of the comic is all that matters.
they didnt need to change the first team so wtf? im not saying everything has to be exact as that is silly and its not based on a graphic novel, but why o why did they have to change the timeline of who comes when? wtf for?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #31
WOLVERINE25TH
The Best There Is

Bub, you realize yer the ONLY person who gives a flying fig who comes when? Think we all pretty much got over it when they said Storm was amongst Xavier's first students and Angel wasn't introduced until X3. Stick to the quality of the product and leave the comics continuity at home. You'll be a much happier person.

WOLVERINE25TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #32
CaptainAwesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
I really would like to know the plausible explanation as to why they butcher the mythos. Ive heard the whole "hard to cram 40 years into 2hrs" ********!!!! because they could have still stuck to correct story arcs and timelines. that is a lame excuse.

For instance why they changed how Xavier lost his legs...why?

why they used the team after the original team in the comics to be the team for this origin story in the film?

Why Sebastian Shaw wasn't Sebastian Shaw from the comics?

Why they got it all wrong on who build the black bird Xjet? why?

why these chnages throughout the past decade of XMen movies? why?

can someone explain? no need for ignorant statement s either please. I need people willing to break this down plausibly and its not about MONEY making for studios as that has nothing to do with the irrelevant changes they made.

costumes is understandable as in a more realistic world setting, spandex would fail to come across well unless Zack Snyder was directing it with his ultra cool style. but other changes...why?

CaptainAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #33
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
they didnt need to change the first team so wtf? im not saying everything has to be exact as that is silly and its not based on a graphic novel, but why o why did they have to change the timeline of who comes when? wtf for?
Why? because it is a prequel, and the actually "First Class" characters don't fit in the timeline that the film series has set up that's why. Get oever it or just don't watch the movies, it's that simple.

As for general comic book films, changes are made because what works on paper may not work on screen, or it's done to just tell a good story.

Again just get over it or don't watch the movies.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
CaptainAwesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because they aren't making the comic book, they are making a movie. They are picking characters that fit the story.

Ra's Al Ghul wasn't Batman's first villian, neither was Scarecrow. Is Batman Begins ruined?

Shouldn't there have been a **** load of x-men on the team previous to Rogue before she became a member? The movie makers threw the comic book continuity out with the very first movie. I don't understand why FOUR movies later people are still upset at this.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #35
Heretic
Side-Kick

If they followed the comics, you'd need to wait a few hundred years before Wolverine joined the team. Are you willing to wait until you're over 200 years old before that happened in a movie?

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #36
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
If they followed the comics, you'd need to wait a few hundred years before Wolverine joined the team. Are you willing to wait until you're over 200 years old before that happened in a movie?
I'm game

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #37
CaptainAwesome
Side-Kick

I've read a ton already (and for years) that people want Cyclops, Beast, Jean, Iceman, and Angel as the original five x-men in a movie. The problem with that is those characters are boring.

Don't get me wrong, I love X-men and I like those characters but they way they originally were they were boring. That's why the book was cancelled originally, that's also why they brought in a more diverse team that wasn't full of angsty WASPs. That's why 9 times out of 10 people will pick the Giant Size time over the original five when it comes to "which team had cooler characters".

The filmmakers are picking characters that are interesting, fit the story and appeal to a diverse audience. That would be my guess as to why the original 5 don't have their own movie...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #38
neemer5
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really would like to know the plausible explanation as to why they butcher the mythos. Ive heard the whole "hard to cram 40 years into 2hrs" ********!!!! because they could have still stuck to correct story arcs and timelines. that is a lame excuse.

why they used the team after the original team in the comics to be the team for this origin story in the film?

can someone explain? no need for ignorant statement s either please. I need people willing to break this down plausibly and its not about MONEY making for studios as that has nothing to do with the irrelevant changes they made.

costumes is understandable as in a more realistic world setting, spandex would fail to come across well unless Zack Snyder was directing it with his ultra cool style. but other changes...why?
All those changes are either necessary or irrelevant

neemer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
that's a stupid comment
and as a fan of Harry Potter why I
thank god that Rowling had
creative control. Otherwise those
Potter films would look like the X
films, especially with some hack
like Singer on board. Not attacking
you personally but how is making
the changes that took place in
these films a better way to
translate the movie to the big
screen and make then for non
comic fans? I am all for changes to adapt a comic to the big screen but ones that makes sense. The Rich back story of the Hellfire club and the the integral part they played in the Phoenix saga is too silly now for the non comic audience?? Now they look to be a terrorist organization more along the lines of the Brotherhood then
an elite society of the super
wealthy who has no interest in
mutant rites and supremacy and
no interest in normal humans
defeating mutants but want to
achieve world domination through
power and wealth. Shaw was
never interested in mutant
superiority, heck the man built
Sentinals to wipe out mutants for
profit and the more sinister reason
to get rid of the powerful mutants
that would pose a threat to the
inner circle. I'm not sure why the
non comic audience would've been
up in arms over that direction?
Would've made for a better movie
in my opinion. Shaw's plans in FC is something very much Magneto would hatch, in fact in the comics he wanted an atomic war between the humans to shrink the human population. I could go on but why bother cause I know the non comic fans don't give a crap cause if the movie is well done they'll still pay and see it.
The Potter films have changed and left out a lot of things and of course there are sad militant die hard fans that gripe about Emma Watson being way too pretty to be Hermione :vomit:

If you want a movie to be exactly like the comics, go read the comics. Movies are adaptations. You also should have stopped reading the X-Men comics when they reinvented the X-Men in the early 70s and again in the early 90s and again in the early 2000s. As long as they don't butcher the main characters then it's fine. If Shaw was the leader of the X-Men and Charles was a gun totting bank robber then people would have legitimate complaints.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #40
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome View Post
I've read a ton already (and for years) that people want Cyclops, Beast, Jean, Iceman, and Angel as the original five x-men in a movie. The problem with that is those characters are boring.

Don't get me wrong, I love X-men and I like those characters but they way they originally were they were boring. That's why the book was cancelled originally, that's also why they brought in a more diverse team that wasn't full of angsty WASPs. That's why 9 times out of 10 people will pick the Giant Size time over the original five when it comes to "which team had cooler characters".

The filmmakers are picking characters that are interesting, fit the story and appeal to a diverse audience. That would be my guess as to why the original 5 don't have their own movie...
Exactamundo.

At the beginning of the 70s, Cockrum introduced an entirely new X-Men team. So all of these people complaining about unnecessary changes should disregard Giant Size X-Men and everything after 1974.

People that complain about this kind of stuff don't actually know the comics that they are so fervently are defending.

The only issues that a 'true fan' of the X-Men should regard as canon are 1-66.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #41
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
strange how chris nolan didnt alienate the fans for batman hence why it ****s on the xmen franchise...hm
Sigh....

I actually agree that Nolan's Batman movies are much better than the X-films. But this pissing contest is silly, especially when you're attacking this quality X-film based on fanboy nitpicks (who the **** knows who built the jet and who cares?).

Because then I can point out things like....

-How come Joker wears make-up instead of being permawhite? He fell into a vat of chemicals, does Nolan even read comics?

-Why is Batman training with Ra's Al Ghul. He never trained with Ra's, he trained with [insertnameofforgottencharacter]. And RA's is over several hundred years old. And Bruce is in love with his daughter Talia who isn't even in the movie and, and, and, and....

-Who the **** is this Rachel Dawes character? She's not in the comics and Bruce never considered giving up being Batman to settle down with a wife and kids in Year One or the Long Halloween!

-Why is Two-Face targeting Gordon's family?! He didn't do that in the comics, he saved Gordon's life and had a split personality....

-Why is Lucious Fox like Q to Bruce? He never Bruce was Batman in the comics.

-Why is Commissioner Loeb not a crooked cop? He was in the comics and that was like just so, so, soooooooo important! They don't even read teh comics!

-Batman doesn't kill. He just killed Two-Face!

But guess what...it doens't matter. Nolan made two great movies that captured the essence of decades worth of comics. To nitpick on small details is just petty and pointless.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #42
c-saw
Side-Kick

I don't care about how faithful an adaptation is to the comics as long as the movie turns out to be good. However one can't prevent asking himself why fox and singer decided to go with these particular characters and why name it first class when the fans would find that in contradiction with the comics.

c-saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #43
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Exactamundo.

At the beginning of the 70s, Cockrum introduced an entirely new X-Men team. So all of these people complaining about unnecessary changes should disregard Giant Size X-Men and everything after 1974.

People that complain about this kind of stuff don't actually know the comics that they are so fervently are defending.

The only issues that a 'true fan' of the X-Men should regard as canon are 1-66.
Sorry, but no, that is not the same thing at all

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #44
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-saw View Post
I don't care about how faithful an adaptation is to the comics as long as the movie turns out to be good. However one can't prevent asking himself why fox and singer decided to go with these particular characters and why name it first class when the fans would find that in contradiction with the comics.
It wouldn't have mattered what they called the movie. People still would have issue with it based on its setting.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #45
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Then again Batman is one character,not a team.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #46
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:

The fun in comic-book adaptations is to adapt, not recreate exactly, I would love to explain each and every one of the questions, but I really wanted to focus in the last part. First of all Zack Snyder doesn't have an ultra cool style, because...well he just doesn't. And second (or lastly) as a fan of "Watchmen" for years, the best parts of that movie are the parts that are not panel-for-panel, for example the opening collage through history.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #47
jazzmatik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
Because the way Xavier becomes paraplegic in the original comic is stupid.
I completely agree. Just because an event happened originally in the comics doesn't necessarily make it better than a different interpretation. I think First Class did a much better interpretation of this aspect. I think comic book lovers need to be open-minded when it comes to interpretations since those interpretation are sometimes better than the original.

jazzmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #48
akfj
Side-Kick

And there have been several times when characters and ideas in other media outside of the original comic properties were introduced into the comics. They should each feed off of each other and strive to make the best work that they can by using the best ideas while maintaining the general spirit of their properties.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #49
jazzmatik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfj View Post
And there have been several times when characters and ideas in other media outside of the original comic properties were introduced into the comics. They should each feed off of each other and strive to make the best work that they can by using the best ideas while maintaining the general spirit of their properties.
Harley Quinn from "Batman: The Animated Series" is a perfect example of this! Now she is one of the most popular characters.

jazzmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Comic book to movies are always going to run into plausible excuses as to what, why and how a certain comic book element might not work in real life.

For example when I was a kid I always thought that all Phantom Zone villians wore black jumpsuits in the Superman films until I picked up the comics, did it made me hate the movie? hell no I was a kid when I first saw STM!!

Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote