Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
Nokio
Side-Kick

Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
angry cause they made the one black chick in the picture a turn coat stripper with no development(besides being a turn coat) and the one black dude(with a lot of presence) killed in a power display by the boss?

I thought the scene was more
heroic than almost any other, beautiful death scene by the way. And unlike almost any othercharacter, the opening for a return.

He literally said his power before
he was killed and they they said
they didn't find a body, I mean, this
is a comic book film.
I had an issue with her as a stripper but her being a turncoat was a missed opportunity to me to put some character development and motivation into her. They were in an era where blacks were 2nd class citizens, if their was any motivation for her to join up with shaw it's that and his offer for mutants living like kings and queens. For someone of color back in that era where they couldn't vote or had to enter establishments in the back or not served at all and the racial hatred that offer would been tempting to I
would think many.

Darwin is dead. I see no reason for him to be brought back, in fact I know he won't be. Also the general was killed by Shaw on the boat the same way.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Archangel08
Side-Kick

well how many asians have been in the movies? jubilee for a quick cameo (lit a spark in a deleted scene), and quill and psylocke who did little and died pretty quickly...at least darwin displayed more powers than all of them combined...

i bring this up just cuz it is often brought up that it's BLACK characters that aren't getting any love...yes, the x-men are mostly white, but hey, no need to turn this into a racism thing against only one race...don't forget the asians aren't getting much love either...sure we've had more characters in quantity, but look at what they've done: barely displayed their powers, and surely didn't do anything as useful as darwin (essentially sacrificed himself to try to get angel back)...

Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Agreed I'm Black Darwins death didn't bother me at all. I'm not supporting every black dude in movies I see just because they are the same race as me.

No one complained Quill was the only Asian dude to die in The Last Stand after a few scenes.

I've read X-Men comics since I was a kid and the normal well adjusted Black guy dies before in X-Men Comics (Synch in Generation X, Bedlam in X-Force)
If blacks are complaining about the black dude being killed off shouldn't the asains be the ones complaint about the Asian dude being killed off? Just saying is all.

Considering either the bafoonary or the thuggish behavior usually displayed by Hollywood of black men it does make harder to swallow when the well adjusted black guy is killed off.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #29
Archangel08
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
If blacks are complaining about the black dude being killed off shouldn't the asains be the ones complaint about the Asian dude being killed off? Just saying is all.

Considering either the bafoonary or the thuggish behavior usually displayed by Hollywood of black men it does make harder to swallow when the well adjusted black guy is killed off.
i'm asian, i'm not really complaining...i just note that the asians aren't getting much to do in the movies haha...i don't see the lack of asians as being particularly offensive...i'm not asking for special treatment just because i'm asian...see, something like expendables, where they make a jab at the lone asian on the cast, then that may bother some...

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel08 View Post
well how many asians have been in the movies? jubilee for a quick cameo (lit a spark in a deleted scene), and quill and psylocke who did little and died pretty quickly...at least darwin displayed more powers than all of them combined...

i bring this up just cuz it is often
brought up that it's BLACK
characters that aren't getting any
love...yes, the x-men are mostly
white, but hey, no need to turn this
into a racism thing against only
one race...don't forget the asians
aren't getting much love
either...sure we've had more
characters in quantity, but look at
what they've done: barely
displayed their powers, and surely
didn't do anything as useful as
darwin (essentially sacrificed
himself to try to get angel back)...
If the Asians aren't complaining then how is that the fault of some black fanboys here complaining? If you must know I had issue and did
complain about Psylocke's poor
use and killing off in X3. Yeah she
was a minority character but more
so cause of her standing as an
Xmen. For starters she was made a villain and she shouldn't have been and also cause she has been a major part of the Xmen. As for Darwin It was a meaningless death of not just a black character but what looked to be one a possible interesting character race aside. There was nothing that showed me why Darwin cared about Angel leaving with Shaw. It's
not like Shaw was forcing her to
come and most importantly he had
just met her. He didn't know her. If
she chose to go why would he be
trying to stop her? If their was
some build up of a relationship
between them they yeah I could accept it more.

Last edited by Nokio; 06-04-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Archangel08
Side-Kick

Quote:
If the Asians aren't complaining then how is that the fault of some black fanboys here complaining? If you mist know I had issue and did complain about Psylocke's poor use and killing off in X3. Yeah she was a minority character but more so cause of her standing as an Xmen. One she made a villain and she shouldn't have been and also cause she has been a major part
of the Xmen. It was a a meaningless death of not just a black character but what looked to be one a possible interesting character race aside. There was nothing that showed me why Darwin cared about Angel leaving with Shaw. It's not like Shaw was forcing her to come and most importantly he had just met her. He didn't know her. If she chose to go why would he be trying to stop her? If their was some build up of a relationship between then they yeah I could accept it more.
true they just met, and perhaps there wasn't much as far as their relationship as to why he'd feel so strongly to protect her...but then again, they did just see shaw and his crew come in and cold bloodedly (is that a word?) kill an entire compound of relatively innocent humans (yeah they were rude, but they weren't criminals or anything)...and most of the x-kids seemed like alright kids who would be somewhat concerned about joining a bunch of murderers...

*edit*
i think i strayed from my original point about the asians...oops haha

Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel08 View Post
i'm asian, i'm not really complaining...i just note that the asians aren't getting much to do in the movies haha...i don't see the lack of asians as being particularly offensive...i'm not asking for special treatment just because i'm asian...see, something like expendables, where they make a jab at the lone asian on the cast,
then that may bother some...
Well if it doesn't bother you then more power to you. It does other me but not to the extent where I'm not going on some crusade or boycotting tue Xmen. Ive enjoyed the Xmen for many years and the movies have not lived up to what they should be but that's another topic. As a person of color I like to see more diversity instead of always a bunch of white guys. Psylocke was done horribly to be such a strong part of the Xmen and she should not have been killed. If Sunfire ever surfaces in a movie in would want him to be done well and not cheaply done and killed off.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
Archangel08
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well if it doesn't bother you then more power to you. It does other me but not to the extent where I'm not going on some crusade or boycotting tue Xmen. Ive enjoyed the Xmen for many years and the movies have not lived up to what they should be but that's another topic. As a person of color I like to see more diversity instead of always a bunch of white guys. Psylocke was done horribly to be such a strong part of the Xmen and she should not have been killed. If Sunfire ever surfaces in a movie in would want him to be done well and not cheaply done and killed off.
fair enough, at least we agree on psylocke lol...i always liked her telekinetic sword in the comics, thought it was visually appealing...and her costume haha

Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
Nokio
Side-Kick

With the depiction of the lone black characters in this movie I'm surprised Charles and Erik didn't find Darwin trying to boost a car.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #35
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

I get why he had to die, and how it's such a cliche, but the thing that bothers me the most is that he didn't took Riptide with him, now that's the first one I would have killed.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
With the depiction of the lone black characters in this movie I'm surprised Charles and Erik didn't find Darwin trying to boost a car.
LMAO

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #37
Nemi
Murder Tramp

Quote:
Did R-Truth start this thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #38
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

Quote:
Did R-Truth start this thread
hahaha

"After they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began"
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #39
conaniscool
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Think I missed that....

But come on man, the way it happened was so cheap and sudden. At least build up his character, let him do SOMETHING. You need to give the audience a reason to care for him. Other black guys have said the same thing that it was like the old movie cliche.

If we saw him in battle, being brave, risking his life during the climax, and then dying, I would have been cool with that. But come on, a guy who is supposed to be able to adapt gets punked by some energy ball Shaw puts into him?
I thought he was well developed within the short amount of screentime he had. I was sad to see him die. Also, it showed how powerful Shaw was that even a mutant that can adapt to anything can be destroyed that easily by him.

And there's plenty of movies where white people die first. Quit being racist.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #40
conaniscool
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
I get why he had to die, and how it's such a cliche, but the thing that bothers me the most is that he didn't took Riptide with him, now that's the first one I would have killed.
These were normal people who never fought before. Not cold hearted bastards like on Shaw's team. He probably just wanted to get Angel out of there, he wasn't worried about inflicting harm on anyone.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #41
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

No, I understand Darwin's motivation, I meant Riptide should have died first, well, he should have died period, cause he's still alive. I don't know why but I really hated each and every one of the whirlwinds.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
Quetzal
Side-Kick

I still want to see Darwin back.

Of the two underlings I liked him and Banshee's performances the best.

its typical though to kill of the minority, always has been with X-Men. Remember Thunderbird? The first X-Men to die - And he only lasted like an issue and a half or something like that.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #43
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I was more upset about Storm being 'meh' in the previous X-Men films than Darwins death.

Why were none of you that are upset when Wraith died in Wolverine is it because your not Will.I.Am fans?

j/k

Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #44
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I'm not surprised by it, but we were on a pretty good streak of black characters NOT getting killed off first in movies for awhile there lol. I guess nothing lasts forever.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #45
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

^ an on top of that, he was wearing red...

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 06-04-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #46
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Lol goot point .

Jettison the red shirts!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #47
truth
Banned User

Anyone who says his death meant anything is having a laugh.

Oh, it really hit home to the other mutants? Puh-lease.

Sorry, it's way too obvious that the non-white mutants either die or defect to the bad side.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #48
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Anyone who says his death meant anything is having a laugh.

Oh, it really hit home to the other mutants? Puh-lease.

Sorry, it's way too obvious that the non-white mutants either die or defect to the bad side.
The entire attack on the CIA bunker showed how intimidating, ruthless, and badass the Hellfire Club was. They made the Brotherhoods look like a bunch of punks.

But yea let's just forget about all the CIA agents, Nazi's, Erik's mother, Shaw, and anyone else who died. I guess they should have killed off Havok or Banshee instead or yet made Darwin white if they wanted to kill him off.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #49
chaseter
Bland User

This movie is racist because I didn't see one Inuit.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #50
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
^ an on top of that, he was wearing red...

Closed Thread