Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #51
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
No, I understand Darwin's motivation, I meant Riptide should have died first, well, he should have died period, cause he's still alive. I don't know why but I really hated each and every one of the whirlwinds.
Then people would have complained that they killed off the only Latino in the movie.

All of this race card crap is old and played out.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #52
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
Well it's easy to say when majority of the the characters are white and even better the ones with the coolest powers. So a Havok is killed off? , well you got a Prof X, Magneto, Banshee, Cyclops and so on. How malt well written black guys are their in comics as a whole? Not many. In the Xmen, none.
well are there a lot of black comic book writers? I like to think that most writers when they are thinking of characters try to i duno write heroes that they would love to be, so the natural reaction is the create characters of their own race.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #53
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Now I know the race card isnt well accepted anymore...

But it is by no means "Played out".

Just like how the Israeli-Palestinian Feud, Relgious Feuds, Nation Feuds, Love of hating Nazis, etc. has not been "Played Out".

Normally its white people who are just tired of hearing history. Well guess what history can't be erased, its ever-lasting and permanent into the scars of time.

=======

But yea, I have to agree, he didnt get enough time to make people feel "emotional" about him.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #54
chaseter
Bland User

My ancestors were feudal slaves in medieval Europe. I demand that everyone remember that.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #55
Quetzal
Side-Kick

You could if you really wanted to? The point is things run deep.

I am half German and half Kaqchikel (Guatemala), I have family roots of slaves and German soldiers in WW1 and 2.

The fact is pain runs deep even if through no fault of your own. You see all the Holocaust never forget memorials? It is the right of a people to remember, and the right of people to take it.

Like I said, it may seem silly, and it may feel played out... but it is anything but. To deny otherwise would be silly.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #56
Quetzal
Side-Kick

I know a lot of people can't or dont care about the past or ancestry, but the fact still remains, and there will always be people who DO CARE, despite the ridiculousness of it .

I.E. Some english hating Normans still.

========
Do you all think the new character that could be introduced might be just Darwin? In a different form? Would seem kind of cheap to me, but possible I guess.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #57
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
You could if you really wanted to? The point is things run deep.

I am half German and half Kaqchikel (Guatemala), I have family roots of slaves and German soldiers in WW1 and 2.

The fact is pain runs deep even if through no fault of your own. You see all the Holocaust never forget memorials? It is the right of a people to remember, and the right of people to take it.

Like I said, it may seem silly, and it may feel played out... but it is anything but. To deny otherwise would be silly.
It's fine to remember but it's not fine to think you deserve more attention or preferential treatment because something happened to your ancestors.

In fact, it's disgusting.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #58
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Like I said, not what I think, but thats what a LOT of people think.

It may be disgusting to you, but I think that is actually naive of you. Thinner things than blood have sparked conflicts.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #59
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
All of this race card crap is old and played out.
Agreed, this needs to stop, if there are movies where every race is represented the X-Men movies are those movies. If you really want to push it, the first person that died in this movie is a nice old jewish woman, this movie is antisemitic.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #60
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Techinically an Ethnicity ^, but yea same point as Chaestar your trying to make.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #61
truth
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
Now I know the race card isnt well accepted anymore...

But it is by no means "Played out".

Just like how the Israeli-Palestinian Feud, Relgious Feuds, Nation Feuds, Love of hating Nazis, etc. has not been "Played Out".

Normally its white people who are just tired of hearing history. Well guess what history can't be erased, its ever-lasting and permanent into the scars of time.

=======

But yea, I have to agree, he didnt get enough time to make people feel "emotional" about him.
One of the best posts I've ever heard on this board. Nobody says the Holocaust stories are tired and bored or played out, but racial talk is?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #62
bullets
bang bang

It didn't bother me that Darwin was killed. He's a newer character in the comics and wasn't a major character in this film. I think if I had more attachment to him in the mythos I might feel differently. However it worked in the context of the story. Also he was kind of a badass , not a chump.
If you wanna say it was race related there's really not much to support that theory and I don't buy it.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #63
thejon93
Forever Haunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
It didn't bother me that Darwin was killed. He's a newer character in the comics and wasn't a major character in this film. I think if I had more attachment to him in the mythos I might feel differently. However it worked in the context of the story. Also he was kind of a badass , not a chump.
If you wanna say it was race related there's really not much to support that theory and I don't buy it.
The more I think about Darwin's death, the happier I am with it in the context of the time period where racism was still strong. If you recall Shaw's speech to the kids about going him, he mentions being "enslaved" and looks straight at Darwin. It's a strong moment for Shaw's character when he kills Darwin because it shows how evil he really is. Yet it's a strong character moment for Darwin as well because it lets him bravely confront evil without hesitation.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #64
Silvermoth
Avenger

It does bother me that the only black guy was killed first simply because it fulfilled that nasty stereotype of the black guy dying first. It's a shame because I knew we would be having conversations like this. I don't think the filmmakers are racist, it's just a shame that for all of the characters they could have killed off, they killed off Darwin first.

I also don't think having discussions about race relations or "playing the race card" is played out. My god, this is what the X-men are all about. Prejudice exists in society and it must be fought. We're not over it yet.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #65
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by conaniscool View Post
I thought he was well developed within the short amount of screentime he had. I was sad to see him die. Also, it showed how powerful Shaw was that even a mutant that can adapt to anything can be destroyed that easily by him.

And there's plenty of movies where white people die first. Quit being racist.

A moot point when majority of the cast is usually white in these type of films.

I'm not sure I saw the same movie or I misread the scene. To me i saw a group of young people that had just met and didnt know each other period and a guy comes in and makes them an offer and one accepts. I don't recall Shaw trying to take Angel by force where it wouldve meant something because he was being noble in trying to defend her. Why he and Havoc decided to attack is beyond me when the girl indicated that she wanted to go. That was poor story writing and the cliched kill the black dude off first.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #66
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I think what makes it worse is how nonsense the death actually is too. Darwin survived worse then that in his very first appearance. He had to remake his entire body from energy for pete's sake.

A rather worthless character like Angel gets to see action and survives the film but a character with a lot of potential like Darwin that has powers that would actually look really cool on screen gets snuffed..

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #67
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejon93 View Post
The more I think about Darwin's death, the happier I am with it in the context of the time period where racism was still strong. If you recall Shaw's speech to the kids about going him, he mentions being "enslaved" and looks straight at Darwin. It's a strong moment for Shaw's character when he kills Darwin because it shows how evil he really is. Yet it's a strong character moment for Darwin as well because it lets him bravely confront evil without hesitation.
RACISM?? Really? Where was it at. I saw a movie that was supposed to be set in the 60's but you'll never know their were race problems and a civil rights struggle cause it was never mentioned not once. I don't know what kind of strong character moment it was when Darwin didn't even know ANGEL and had just met her and she wasn't being taken by force but left of her own free will. Shaw kills Darwin but decides to leave alex alive and he's the one who attcked. I don't buy any of the heroic death stuff. It was a token kill of the long tried and true sterotype to kill the black guy off first.

Even worse is that Singer and crew kill off the best actor of the new mutants kids.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #68
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

The only problem I had with his death is it makes no logical sense for the character to be able to be killed. His body literally adapts to anything and everything even what Shaw did to him. They should've picked Thunderbird like someone suggested earlier in the thread.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #69
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

When Darwin died, I laughed and thought "of course brotha man had to die."

Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #70
thejon93
Forever Haunted

Quote:
RACISM?? Really? Where was it at. I saw a movie that was supposed to be set in the 60's but you'll never know their were race problems and a civil rights struggle cause it was never mentioned not once. I don't know what kind of strong character moment it was when Darwin didn't even know ANGEL and had just met her and she wasn't being taken by force but left of her own free will. Shaw kills Darwin but decides to leave alex alive and he's the one who attcked. I don't buy any of the heroic death stuff. It was a token kill of the long tried and true sterotype to kill the black guy off first.

Even worse is that Singer and crew kill off the best actor of the new mutants kids.
No need to get angry. Just because the movie doesn't bring light on the "race problems and [the] civil rights struggle", as you mentioned, doesn't mean that an audience member couldn't see the scene in such a way. I saw it as a scene that was really effective and I disagree with it being stereotypical. This is 2011, man. Only Michael Bay hasn't gotten over stereotypes in Hollywood.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #71
Nemi
Murder Tramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
Agreed, this needs to stop, if there are movies where every race is represented the X-Men movies are those movies. If you really want to push it, the first person that died in this movie is a nice old jewish woman, this movie is antisemitic.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #72
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
The only problem I had with his death is it makes no logical sense for the character to be able to be killed. His body literally adapts to anything and everything even what Shaw did to him. They should've picked Thunderbird like someone suggested earlier in the thread.
I suggested it and I was being sarcastic, as I question whether people would still be crying foul had a lesser represented minority died.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #73
Marvin
Side-Kick

Wolverine would have survived that

..cause he's white

A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #74
BMM
Side-Kick

Wolverine would have survived Shaw and Phoenix tag teaming him in a nuclear war because he = $$$.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #75
neemer5
Side-Kick

Quote:
A moot point when majority of the cast is usually white in these type of films.
Do you know your demographics, especially at that time? A majority of PEOPLE were white during that time period. I looked them up: 10% of America was African American (that statistic hasn't changed much). One of the six mutants was black and another was half. Of five X-Men movies so far, this is the first one to feature a black mutant dying first. In fact, I can't begin to count the amount of white mutants that have died in the films, but I can count the black ones: TWO. Those are damn good statistics. Just because a black man had a pointless death doesn't decree racism. There have been plenty of pointless deaths in the movies with white people dropping like flies.

I'll bet they wrote the story and death before they picked an actor or a race for the actor (who is half hispanic in the comics).

But I digress. I think his death was important as it sets a good direction for the film. It was tragic and meant to be. It really intensified the film. I just don't get why he didn't "evolve." But maybe he did. There is no body.

Closed Thread