The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #201
Shockadalite
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Now you make an actual argument. All you're doing is asserting 'this is racist, Darwin is token black guy'.

I don't agree with that, and I've given you reasons why. You've given no argument.
You don't have to agree with that and I have stated my reasons very clearly, YOU have not. They are right there and for some strange reasons, others were able to get them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
You're welcome to your opinion, but generally speaking it's always recommended to at least try to explain it. You haven't.
Recommended by who? And specifically speaking, you should at least try to drink your own kool-aid because you have yet to do what you are recommending that I should.




Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
My response is that I don't give anybody automatic respect points just for being offended. I've yet to hear a strong argument.
I wasn't looking for your approval nor your respect. And that fact you withheld this from me still doesn't "prove" how I am wrong about my "opinion."


Last edited by Shockadalite; 06-06-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Shockadalite is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #202
Shockadalite
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Now you make an actual argument. All you're doing is asserting 'this is racist, Darwin is token black guy'.
Also, you misquoted me...again. I never once wrote, "this is racist, Darwin is token black guy." It is recommended by the Society of Professional Journalists that if you quote someone, be accurate, otherwise you alter the entire intent and context of their statement, which you attempted to do with mine.


Last edited by Shockadalite; 06-06-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Shockadalite is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #203
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick
 
TheVelvetOnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,233
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

i think this topic is a little to heated when really darwin's character was used purely as a caterlist to move the story forward. Nothing more, nothing racist, Darwin was just the caterlist.

you could argue why that character, in my oppinion we only know darwin is dead because the characters said it, but the only scientist in the group was hank and even he got the cure wrong. darwins powers are reactive mutation, whose to know that he didnt change into a vapor or something to adapt to that havok blast.

But that doesnt matter, his character was purely to move the mutants from sitting in a room to becoming the x-men.

__________________
"Hmm, I'm scheming. This is my scheming face. First I raise this eyebrow, and then... BACK OFF!"

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #204
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,915
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Darwin's death may seem a cliche. But he didn't die because he was black. He died because that character is a member of an early team of X-Men and (seemingly) dies in the comics. His death in the film served as a catalyst - it's because of it that Magneto says 'No, but we can avenge him' and they then decide to train as a team. He plays an important role in the story.

All this other stuff is neurotic nonsense. America is full of powerful black people. As a few basic examples, you have a black president, you have the massively wealthy and powerful Oprah, you have massive megastar Will Smith, a huge music industry based on Motown, soul, R&B and rap music. It hardly seems a place of racist oppression.

The sudden appearance of some newly-registered detractors on these boards, including Shockadalite, seems very suspicious to me. They seem more like saboteurs than genuine commenters.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, GoTG 7.5/10, CA:TWS 8/10, Interstellar 8.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #205
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 807
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockadalite View Post
I wasn't looking for your approval nor your respect. And that fact you withheld this from me still doesn't "prove" how I am wrong about my "opinion."
I was directly responding to "Fact is, MANY African-Americans felt this, not just a few".

That's a meaningless statement. Lots of people have lots of stupid opinions.

And by the way, you're just sniffing your own farts going on about racism in America today. As if anybody is going to come out and say 'nope, racism is 100% dead'. We're talking about the movie.

TomPiltoff is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #206
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,318
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
angry cause they made the one black chick in the picture a turn coat stripper with no development(besides being a turn coat) and the one black dude(with a lot of presence) killed in a power display by the boss?

this is transformers Jazz's death hate all over again.
in a word unfounded.
I thought the scene was more heroic than almost any other, beautiful death scene by the way. And unlike almost any other character, the opening for a return.

He literally said his power before he was killed and they they said they didn't find a body, I mean, this is a comic book film.
As a black guy, it was weird for me. I'm usually the absolute last person to draw attention to something like this, but I was a bit taken back, I won't lie. It just seemed, odd, that coincidentally, the only black character got killed rather.....quick.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put that into the same category with Transformers, at all. I think as minorities though, we can be overly sensitive to things. I never felt like Flavor Flav was reflective on me anymore than I think white people feel Charlie Sheen represents them. I guess the main difference is they probably shouldn't feel that way since they have all facets of their culture represented without prejudice, while sometimes we only get to see the worst of us plastered all over the media.

That being said, perhaps if we had more black comic creators we'd get more (and varied) black superheroes. Despite the faults with the character, initially I loved Spawn because he just so happened to be black, his story and character really had nothing to do with it, which was a nice change. We could stand for more of that....

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #207
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,310
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

This thread is on very thin ice if people continue to respond to each as obnoxiously as I'm seeing in the last few posts.

If you can't discuss this subject like adults, this thread gets shut down. Only warning.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #208
Quetzal
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 301
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

I really have to agree, that Pilot guy has been quite obnoxious with the fact that she is just giving an opinion.

While a group emotion or opinion may seem illogical, or "stupid", the fact remains that it still exists.

===

I saw Darwin as potentially cool guy for the X-men series, and he still can be in the sequel.

But yea I watched the scene over again, and everything about Darwin makes one want to Eye-Roll. From his red shirt, to the enslaved reference, to him being a taxi driver, etc.

I honestly dont think Vaughn had any intention of rascism, but I do have to agree -> the Tokenism is still present.

And to the guy who mentioned riptide as a red, he actually seemed to serve a decent purpose without the eye-rolling special effects the audience made from this.

Quetzal is offline  
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #209
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,310
Default Re: SPOILERS - Darwin - SPOILERS

OK, I think this thread has run its course.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.