The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: How should it go forward?
It's a proper prequel 32 46.38%
It has it's own continuity 27 39.13%
It's a stand alone film 3 4.35%
I don't care/other. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #26
Figs
Banned User

Default Re: How should this movie franchise move forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
There is no way this is a reboot. It's part of the same universe.
Jesus Christ Nell. Why are you so against people viewing this as a reboot. Not thinking it's one, but choosing to view it as one. There's nothing wrong with that. Yes there are major connections to the other films since it was primarily supposed to be a prequel of sorts, but that doesn't mean people like myself can't choose to ignore the other films when watching this one. It's like you're trying to push it on people.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post

It connects to the original trilogy way too much to be considered a reboot. The only contradiction is the timeline regarding Xavier's ability to walk. That's IT. Everything else in the movie follows up with the rest of the series.
I agree that it is too connected to be a straight re-boot, but it's not just his ability to walk. Keep in mind that Xavier and Erik were still good friends in the beginning of X3 when we see them recruiting Jean, with the implication they were starting the school together around that time.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
EML420
It's only part time.

Just because it pays homage to the other fims doesnt mean it cant be a reebot they had a Wolverine cameo big deal they were looking for mutants he happened to be one of them.

EML420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's a preboot or a requel, you can acknowledge or ignore as much as you want.

They marketed it as a prequel, because the previous film was just two years ago. But Vaughn has implied he sees it as also going off in its own direction. I'm fine with that, I don't see what all this flapping and flailing is about on here, it's worse than a fox in a henhouse...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #30
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I agree that it is too connected to be a straight re-boot, but it's not just his ability to walk. Keep in mind that Xavier and Erik were still good friends in the beginning of X3 when we see them recruiting Jean, with the implication they were starting the school together around that time.
Erik and Xavier will always be good friends. Just because they split doesn't mean that they aren't still friends. That much is clear in X-Men: The Last Stand when Magneto totally goes off on Pyro when he claims he would have killed the professor himself.

In the end, it's still ONE SCENE from X-Men: The Last Stand that X-Men: First Class contradicts. One scene. That's it. I can think of that much that the prequel Star Wars trilogy contradicts from the original trilogy.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #31
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Jesus Christ Nell. Why are you so against people viewing this as a reboot. Not thinking it's one, but choosing to view it as one. There's nothing wrong with that. Yes there are major connections to the other films since it was primarily supposed to be a prequel of sorts, but that doesn't mean people like myself can't choose to ignore the other films when watching this one. It's like you're trying to push it on people.
People can view the film however they want. My problem lies with people who want to actively label the franchise in a direction that takes away from my enjoyment of it.

I explained my distaste of reboots in another thread. I'm not going to repeat it here.

If when you see the movie that's how you think of it, then fine. But I don't want the franchise itself to go in that direction.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I agree 100 percent this can't be viewed as reboot.Bryan Singer himself said they took liberties(explaning the divertions of dialogue what was said In X-Men and X2) and as I have pointed out X-Men Is hardly first franchise to take liberties with what was said.
Star Trek before the 2009 alternate reality IS prime example of this.Way too many example of connecting to X-men and X2.As I keep saying you don't make connection to
previous films If your rebooting.Hell If a First Class Trilogy happens they could find way to recon Xavier meeting Jean and Magneto becoming aware of her ability.

With Beast I guess they could just say his appearance evolves from Catlike Beast to
Tradional Beast.Although It would make sense the other way.With Moira ok we could just Ignore her 2 minutes worth of screen time In Last Stand like we Ignore the 30 second human Beast In X2.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I agree 100 percent this can't be viewed as reboot.Bryan Singer himself said they took liberties(explaning the divertions of dialogue what was said In X-Men and X2) and as I have pointed out X-Men Is hardly first franchise to take liberties with what was said.
Star Trek before the 2009 alternate reality IS prime example of this.Way too many example of connecting to X-men and X2.As I keep saying you don't make connection to
previous films If your rebooting.Hell If a First Class Trilogy happens they could find way to recon Xavier meeting Jean and Magneto becoming aware of her ability.

With Beast I guess they could just say his appearance evolves from Catlike Beast to
Tradional Beast.Although It would make sense the other way.With Moira ok we could just Ignore her 2 minutes worth of screen time In Last Stand like we Ignore the 30 second human Beast In X2.
We don't even need to ignore it.

She's only referred to as a "colleague" of Xavier's. That, she is. Sure, in that scene, we see her as a doctor, however X-Men: First Class shows us that she develops an obvious interest in genetic mutation. I could buy her becoming interested in studying this type of stuff. It seems like her time with the CIA is probably coming to an end anyways.

As far as the age goes - like I've said before, these movies have never adhered to a strict timeline. She's young in First Class, and middle aged in X-Men: The Last Stand. Eh, whatever, close enough. She's not a major enough character to get overly concerned with it.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #34
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well In the comics before she was killed Moira was always dawn fairly young considering she was Xavier's first love and was mother of Protues.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

I would like to see a sequel developed where the cold war is again a main element. I loved, LOVED the idea that Magneto was behind the JFK magic bullet.

If I could pen a draft, it would be the USSR copying the US in developing their own mutant G-Men. I would have the focus be on Omega Red, and have him help out the North Koreans in the capture of the USS Pueblo.

Just to make the strict fanboys mad, I'd make Havoc, Cyclops uncles, and have Cable be a main focus in the film to which it turns out he is Cyclops father. He joins the X-Men, and is killed leading to Xavier adopting Scott.

Then of course, after that film, I'd love to see a proper X-3 film done where they show that Jean's transformation was caused by Magnetos machine in the first film, like it was supposed too.

FingersMcGhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #36
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Omega red.... Ahhh great idea

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #37
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Some recent comments from Vaughn have, for me, settled the question of whether or not this is a reboot, and seem to indicate that he took the same sort of approach to the film that J.J. Abrams and Co. did with their Star Trek film, in that he acknowledged the previous films (where appropriate), but without making himself beholden to them.

I would be interested in hearing from Bryan Singer and Laura Shuler-Donner on this issue NOW (after Vaughn's comments), since many of the comments they've made previously are what has led to the confusion about whether or not FC is a meant to be prequel to the previous films or a straight-up reboot.

Given Vaughn's comments, I'd like to see them go 'whole hog' on the reboot aspects of the franchise by (re)introducing younger versions of Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey (they're already half-way there, considering that Cyke and Storm had brief cameos in FC).

I also think it would be neat if Vaughn (assuming he comes back to direct a sequel) re-created Jean's recruitment scene from The Last Stand (albeit without Magneto present), the same way he re-created the scene where Erik's powers manifest themselves for the first time.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 06-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #38
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The continuity issues make it hard to predict what they will do for sequel. Two of the main characters' introductions (Jean and Cyclops) don't work any more. So, it's unclear if they'll just reintroduce those characters, or avoid them.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
The Batman
The Dark Knight

There was too much homage/imagery/set up to the past films for it NOT to be a prequel. In fact, I find the idea of it being a reboot silly. If that were the case, no wonder people are pissed they didnt use the original five from the comic books.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #40
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I wouldn't call it a reboot, just a prequel that doesn't mind taking a baseball bat to continuity. They just need to retcon a ton of stuff in any sequel.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #41
Darthkush
Avenger

For all the reasons already stated, it's definitely a prequel and I think going forward, they should continue to embrace that. Honestly, i don't get all these people butthurt about the original x-men not showing up when we know it's a prequel already. This movie proves that you can have ANY x-men members and still have a great film.

As far as where they should go from here, I'd like to see a sequel, set in the 70's with maybe 3 new x-men. I'd bring in Polaris as one of them and two others I can't think of and one new villain. Make no mistake though, Magneto and Xavier will still be the focus as they were in this one. Now, the following film, I'd break from what everyone else seems to want(the 80's) and want a merging of the two trilogies. Yep, i'd throw in either Bishop or Cable to bring a team of x-men from the future to stop...something. What? I don't know. But this way we can bring in Storm and Wolverine as time travelers and maybe even fix some of the events of "Last Stand" and we can have a whole new continuity moving forward that combines elements of the first 3 films and the new "first class" ones(and even X-men Origins: Wolverine possibly if done right).

Darthkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #42
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

I dont see how you can have sequels to X-Men First Class and not at some point include Storm, Jean, and Cyclops. At the beginning of X-Men, those three seem to have been around for quite a long time... all three are teachers at the mansion and Cyclops considers Prof X a father figure... that tells me he's been around for quite a bit of time... so XMFC 2 or 3 has to include him.

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #43
Darthkush
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComicFan View Post
I dont see how you can have sequels to X-Men First Class and not at some point include Storm, Jean, and Cyclops. At the beginning of X-Men, those three seem to have been around for quite a long time... all three are teachers at the mansion and Cyclops considers Prof X a father figure... that tells me he's been around for quite a bit of time... so XMFC 2 or 3 has to include him.
I could see Storm being in the next one and maybe saving Scott and Jean for a third. That's the only possible way that you might be able to synch up the flashbacks in X3 and the events of Wolverine(if you do the 80's anyway).

Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #44
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

That's pretty hopeless. Unless there are two girls named Emma with the same powers, and Professor X somehow regains the ability to walk in time for the Three Mile Island accident (and then there's the unclear relation between Havok and Cyclops).

Might as well reintroduce them at this point.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #45
Darthkush
Avenger

I don't see why so many are tripping about Xavier's walking continuity. In the comics, Xavier has regained and lost the ability to walk so many times... I could see it happening in the movie as well and I'd be okay with it as long as it's done with care and they make it believable for us.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #46
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't think that would go over well. X's being paralyzed was one of the biggest scenes in the movie. Just having him regain the ability to walk in a sequel (and then somehow having him be paralyzed again) would seem cheap.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #47
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I agree. Let's not have him start walking and unwalking. I actually like having him walk in the comics but considering he's in a wheelchair in the trilogy lets not give him his legs back and take them away again.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #48
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Emma was never actually referred to as Emma in Wolverine. Only promo materials.

Also, darthkush you bring up an interesting point. You said that first class proves that you can have an xmen movie with any characters and make it interesting. I didn't think that was possible, but it certainly went a long way towards proving me wrong.

I wonder tho, could a post x3 sequel succeed without any big characters? First class at least had Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique to anchor it, along with even Beast. Could a team of iceman, colossus and kitty pryde succeed without wolverine, storm, Xavier jean and Cyclops to hold it down?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #49
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

As I said, it sounds like Vaughn approached the film with the mindset of 'I'm shooting a reboot', but also included certain acknowledgments of the X-trilogy where appropriate, which I suspect Singer and/or Donner-Shuler had a hand in.

Having said that, I do think there's enough 'wiggle room' to link FC in with Singer's original film(s), at least at this juncture. The real indicator of the direction the PTB ultimately want to take the franchise will, I think, come if/when there's a sequel to FC.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #50
Mr. Fixit
Enforcer

If people want to pretend its a reboot let them pretend its a reboot.

Who gives a crap.

If Fox ever wanted to tie all these movies together in a tight little continuity bow they can do SE's of all the movies. They can edit it all so that it makes sense and functions together somehow. Something like George Lucas' SE's....except done right.

- The human Beast in X2 just needs a 2 second edit featuring Kelsey's Beast from X3 speaking on the TV screen.

- For the ending scene of XO:W, re-shoot it with James McAvoy in a wheelchair.

- For the scene where a younger Xavier and Magneto meet young Jean reshoot it with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.

- For the ending scene of XO:W re-shoot it with James McAvoy.

- For the alternate younger Emma Frost in XO:W just change up her character however necessary so that it's clear she's not the White Queen.

- Heck they could even add in the shot of Kevin Bacon in the opening X1 if they wanted to.

^^

Stuff like that could be done to tighten up the movies. I'm not saying it should be done, but it would be interesting.

The alternative is to just chill and go with it. Life's not perfect.

Last edited by Mr. Fixit; 06-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote