The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: How should it go forward?
It's a proper prequel 32 46.38%
It has it's own continuity 27 39.13%
It's a stand alone film 3 4.35%
I don't care/other. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #51
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: How should this movie franchise move forward?

From what I've heard about FC so far, the two biggest/most major continuity issues are the Xavier/Erik/Jean recruitment scene from The Last Stand and the content of Origins: Wolverine as it concerns Xavier, Storm, Cyclops, and that film's version of Emma Frost, and they do have the leeway to ignore those issues by shifting both films into an apocryphal category, which they already seem to be trying to do with Origins: Wolverine.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 06-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #52
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
People can view the film however they want. My problem lies with people who want to actively label the franchise in a direction that takes away from my enjoyment of it.

I don't see how that takes away from your own enjoyment since you still have the right to look at it as a prequel and not a reboot, and it is a prequel.

I explained my distaste of reboots in another thread. I'm not going to repeat it here.

I just read that before replying to this post and I understand.

If when you see the movie that's how you think of it, then fine. But I don't want the franchise itself to go in that direction.
Well I'm sure there will be even more nods to the first few films, so I don't think you have to be worried.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #53
Brawl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkush View Post
For all the reasons already stated, it's definitely a prequel and I think going forward, they should continue to embrace that. Honestly, i don't get all these people butthurt about the original x-men not showing up when we know it's a prequel already. This movie proves that you can have ANY x-men members and still have a great film.

As far as where they should go from here, I'd like to see a sequel, set in the 70's with maybe 3 new x-men. I'd bring in Polaris as one of them and two others I can't think of and one new villain. Make no mistake though, Magneto and Xavier will still be the focus as they were in this one. Now, the following film, I'd break from what everyone else seems to want(the 80's) and want a merging of the two trilogies. Yep, i'd throw in either Bishop or Cable to bring a team of x-men from the future to stop...something. What? I don't know. But this way we can bring in Storm and Wolverine as time travelers and maybe even fix some of the events of "Last Stand" and we can have a whole new continuity moving forward that combines elements of the first 3 films and the new "first class" ones(and even X-men Origins: Wolverine possibly if done right).
Now that Magneto is certifiable evil you cannot make the villian the main focus of the movie. The most famous of all evil villians in the movies has to be Darth Vader. You cannot make a movie about Darth Vader after he succumbs to the dark side, and make him the focus of the movie. Prof X needed Wolverine and the rest of the X-Men to be the focus as he defeated Magento. Villains are just the gauge on which to measure the strength of the hero.

Brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #54
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

X2 had Magneto as a villain and he still worked with the X-Men. The X-Men and Brotherhood are enemies but people that threaten mutant extinction always bring them together simply out of necessity.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #55
Nokio
Side-Kick

Well Mags and prof X has been at odds and then they patch it up and are working together. Even now in the comics Mags is with the Xmen. That stint with them both at the Grey household could be where they are working together.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #56
Mr. Fixit
Enforcer

Yeah I don't mind them getting along in that scene in X3. They are friends no matter what despite their different views.

Even Beast being human in X2 makes sense considering we know he experiments on himself - which now we've actually seen onscreen. Perhaps that was a short lived test in which he appeared human and by the time of X3 he was back to his blue form.

Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #57
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Or he invented an image inducer to use when doing public appearances to not scare people.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #58
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

I think it's pretty obvious, and most likely intentional that the events of X-Men: the Last Stand, and Wolverine were ignored. Hell, I pretend those films don't exist. I think there was talk that the next Wolverine film was going to avoid any mentions of the first film.

This film fits in pretty damn good, with the first two X-Men films. Is there an inconsistencies, yes some little ones, but nothing MAJOR. A two second clip of Hank McCoy on TV in human form? Maye some age contradictions from spoken backstories. Considering this films come from comic that recons itself every 40 issues, I think the fact that First Class fits in as well as it did is a great accomplishment.

FingersMcGhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #59
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Considering First Class could end up with a domestic take similar to The Incredible Hulk.
It's very possible after The Wolverine Fox will focus on getting X4 off the ground.Since
I am very willing to bet It was Bryan Singer who came up with the Idea for X4 which Lauren Shuller Donner said Fox loved I expect him to direct.If that happens It Is possable
the might consider First Class,X-Men,and X2 the trilogy.If X4 Is sequel to trilogy(X-Men,X2,The Last Stand with First Class,and The Wolverine as spinoffs.If Deadpool gets off the ground with them wanting It to be viewed as part of the X-Men franchise you have to
discount X-Men Origins;Wolverine Inless you say Ryan Reynolds played a mutant named wade In WOlverine and Deadpool in X-Men Originseadpool Is different character) without calling attention to things In Last Stand(No Cyclops,No mention of Cure,having Xavier back because of post credits scene but making no mention of his death and awaking In New Body) and likely adapting Days of future past.

A first Class sequel will only happen If it can get to the gross of X-Men.If Super 8 takes the top spot next weekend It Is almost certainly not going to happen.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #60
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

I could see First Class being this years Batman Begins.

A good film, that's opening weekend was dampered by the series last two installments. Word of mouth will carry it over the summer to a respectable number.

FingersMcGhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #61
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The problem Is this summer Is highly cwoaded.Now If It can hold off Super 8 and drop off
only In the 30-40 percent range and not the 60-70 range(Like Thor and Hangover part II)

A first Class sequel depends on getting In the X-Men range of domestic gross and not the Incredible Hulk range.Fox may take away that they need cast members from X-Men,X2,The Last Stand to carry films(Which could also hurt getting Deadpool off the ground assuming Ryan Reynolds can fit It Into his schedule)

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #62
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

From what I hear, Super 8 isn't tracking all too well. Only people who know of J.J. Abrams and the whole campaign of the movie are truly excited for it. I don't see it posing much of a threat at the box office. If you ask me, XMFC is gonna take #1 again next weekend with Hangover at #2 again and Super 8 close behind at #3.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 06-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #63
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I think First Class will be fine in the coming weeks, but I highly doubt it's going to be first place again with Super 8 being released this Friday.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #64
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

We don't get Super 8 in the Uk until August 5. However, we do get more Kung Fu Panda...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #65
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I expected a good Xavier arc this time...and I'll keep on waiting for it next time.
Yeah, call me an optimist.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #66
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

I think they're lucky in some ways and lucky in others, I think they'll definitely be able to move forward with a sequel, there appear to be enough people liking the movie for it not to be a problem. However I hope they don't lose sight of the plot and characters. I think we're lucky simply because there are so many superhero films coming out that these films have to be fantastic to Beattie competition. Hopefully that means we get a whole load of amazing comic-based movies.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #67
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

All I know is that Vaughn better bring his ass back and direct the next two.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #68
samsnee
Side-Kick

Bring January Jones back, and Vaughan will be back, tongue wagging.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I voted for It's a proper prequel.

Are you guys insane to think this is a reboot or a standalone film! They wouldn't include footage from X1/X2/X3 and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine if its a standalone and a reboot!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #70
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

All I know is, at some point, I want to see Sentinels properly, Mister Sinister and/or Apocalypse. Being that this is the beginning of everything, I understand if this is impossible, but goddamn, how many movies are we going to get without some of the best parts of X-men lore, IMO.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #71
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Apocalypse is too big for X-Men: Second Class

He should be in X4!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #72
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Hasn't the Professor walked in the comics with the aid of some kind of exoskeleton or something like that? I can't remember what issue or story I'm thinking of. It may be from X-Men #1(1991). I can see Beast creating him an exoskeleton allowing him to walk when needed because if Beast can creat a part for Havok's unifprm to harness his power than an ES isn't such a stretch.

As for how to view this movie, unless they officaly say it's a reboot then it a proper prequel.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't know but Professor X got resurrected and is now walking in the comics.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #74
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Professor X was able to walk even in the 60s comics with a gadget. I'd rather they not do that since it would take some nonsense explanation for why he doesn't use gadgets like that to walk anymore. And it cheapens the loss that was felt when he got crippled in this movie.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #75
psyonic
X-Man

I think Sentinels is the next logical antagonist. With the coming out of the mutants, the Hellfire club attacking the CIA headquarters, almost starting WWIII, Magneto almost destroying the fleet of ships and breaking Emma Frost out of the CIA prison, I think the humans are definitely upping the ante in the next one.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote