The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: How should it go forward?
It's a proper prequel 32 46.38%
It has it's own continuity 27 39.13%
It's a stand alone film 3 4.35%
I don't care/other. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #76
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Default Re: How should this movie franchise move forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I think Sentinels is the next logical antagonist. With the coming out of the mutants, the Hellfire club attacking the CIA headquarters, almost starting WWIII, Magneto almost destroying the fleet of ships and breaking Emma Frost out of the CIA prison, I think the humans are definitely upping the ante in the next one.
Yeah, but given that this takes place in the 60s and the sequel will either take place in the 60s-90s (before X1 [2K]) I don't think the technology would be advanced enough to introduce sentinels.

I think they should go Mr. Sinister as a mutant that begins to experiment with other mutants at the request of the government maybe or on his own to build the perfect mutant creation.

Yeah, I know that was pretty much done in XMO: Wolverine, but they could do it different or better yet just have him experiment on mutants without creating a super Weapon XI lol.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #77
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

Sentinels, OF COURSE!!! because you know, mech style transformer terminators were invented in the 1960s. Fit's completely with the highten realism they've been going for in these films since 1999. BRILLIANT!

FingersMcGhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #78
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

Again. The Russians might be under the impression that the US has developed a team of mutant agents. They will try to do the same.

OMEGA RED is the next step IMO.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #79
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingersMcGhee View Post
Again. The Russians might be under the impression that the US has developed a team of mutant agents. They will try to do the same.
Considering the fact that the Americans tried to bomb them, I doubt it.

And since these 60s films are going for more James Bond-ish gadgets arguing for realism preventing the Sentinels from appearing is pretty silly.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #80
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

Oh, because First Class really opened the door for walking, talking fighting robots. I also never saw ROBOTS in a James Bond film. If they give Xavier an underwater car, I'll go with it. If they got a little asian dude with a razor blade tiped hat, I'll go with it. Giant mass produced, purple robots, NO.

Also, from the Russians perspetive. Who gave the X-Men their jet? I mean, giant stealth airships aren't the thing of norm in the 1960s. It was either them, or the United States. Also, when they debrief the guy who pushed the button, and find out he was controlled to do so, what then? The russians are well aware of the US and the mutant situation, considering the helmet they made for Shaw. Lastly, THE US TRIED TO OPTION THEIR OWN MUTANT TEAM AS SEEN IN THIS FILM, WHO'S TO SAY THE USSR WOULDN'T FOLLOW SUIT?

Sentinels... christ sake people... thanks lordy lord lord, you guys don't write these films.

Last edited by FingersMcGhee; 06-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #81
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Yeah you're right, an underwater car make sense but robots are just silly.

I never saw Cerebro in a James Bond movie either. Man this movie sucks so hard for including that. Mixing in unrealistic technology is okay but mixing in unrealistic technology that actually appeared in the 60s comics is just stupid.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #82
FingersMcGhee
Banned User

hightened reality, and fantasy are two different things. Sorry you can't understand the difference.

A machine used to amplify something is one thing. Robots that fly around, and capture mutants is another.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #83
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Sentinels... christ sake people... thanks lordy lord lord, you guys don't write these films.
LMAO you guys. Yeah I don't think they're going the Sentinels route, but then again if Singer is behind the helm who is to say. I hate that man lol.

Anywho, Omega Red Yes, Colossus Yes, Domino Maybe, but no Sentinels unless they flash forward.

Plus, if they introduce sentinels they might as well declare this a new franchise or an alternate reality where some things are the same, but others are not. I mean geesh how old are Storm and Cyclops if they had "cameos" that means by X1 they are in their 40s at least. No way.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #84
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
hightened reality, and fantasy are two different things. Sorry you can't understand the difference.
I think it's more likely you're just making arbitrary exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Anywho, Omega Red Yes, Colossus Yes, Domino Maybe, but no Sentinels unless they flash forward.

Plus, if they introduce sentinels they might as well declare this a new franchise or an alternate reality where some things are the same, but others are not.

Why do Sentinels make this an alternate reality? Unless the X-Men invented the Sentinels, X3 clearly makes it possible they fought Sentinels before. If they are to appear in these films, it makes more sense to appear before X3 then after X3 because that means the X-Men thought them up first.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #85
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

If Magneto isn't a strong presence in the next movie, I'm totally fine with the Sentinels being in the sequel.

Well, actually, Magneto could definitely be a part of the Sentinel storyline, but they obviously would have to come to a point where Magneto would be incapacitated and unable to "do" anything to stop them.

I wonder, if they bring in Sentinels and Trask, I wonder if they'll go comic book Trask or if they'll go X3/Bill Duke Trask. I wouldn't care either way.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #86
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
Why do Sentinels make this an alternate reality? Unless the X-Men invented the Sentinels, X3 clearly makes it possible they fought Sentinels before. If they are to appear in these films, it makes more sense to appear before X3 then after X3 because that means the X-Men thought them up first.
Not really, it makes more sense to appear after X3 because: 1.) The "war" on mutants hasn't fully developed until X2-X3 really so there is no need for government funding on huge mutant collecting/tracking robots. 2.)Just because the sentinels are shown in the danger room in X3 doesn't mean that the X-men thought them up. It simply means they are aware of their presence in the future. Thus, a future seeing, soothsaying, mutant could predict that sentinels would come about after the X3 events occurred.

Plus, sentinels are pretty advanced and need advancements in technology to function properly. I doubt that their existed that level of innovation in the 60s-80s. I'll give you the 90s maybe in the movie universe that exists for the X-Men, but it just seems like a waste to go back and put them before everything else. Also, I would rather see Wolverine fighting a sentinel as part of the team and that can't happen until he meets the X-Men.

As for alternate reality I meant that they should treat XMFC as either a reboot prequel in an alternate reality rather than in the same reality because so many things are out of continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
If Magneto isn't a strong presence in the next movie, I'm totally fine with the Sentinels being in the sequel.

Well, actually, Magneto could definitely be a part of the Sentinel storyline, but they obviously would have to come to a point where Magneto would be incapacitated and unable to "do" anything to stop them.

I wonder, if they bring in Sentinels and Trask, I wonder if they'll go comic book Trask or if they'll go X3/Bill Duke Trask. I wouldn't care either way.
Sentinels in X4.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #87
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:

Sentinels in X4.
X4 is never gonna happen

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #88
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Never say never. But if they are in First Class 2 then, they will need to fix some things and make it in the 90s. Heck, let's just start this franchise over with already.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #89
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

Considering that the Sentinels were some of the Xmen's first villains I don't see why they can't fit into the new movies. They came out of the sixties in the first place.

The original movies kept it toned down to an extent but there were some wacky technology that sure doesn't exist. They weren't really that grounded in realism.

I think retro mutant hunting robots would be awesome. Plus it does make the danger room scene in Last Stand make more sense.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #90
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenAngel View Post
Considering that the Sentinels were some of the Xmen's first villains I don't see why they can't fit into the new movies. They came out of the sixties in the first place.

The original movies kept it toned down to an extent but there were some wacky technology that sure doesn't exist. They weren't really that grounded in realism.

I think retro mutant hunting robots would be awesome. Plus it does make the danger room scene in Last Stand make more sense.
60s Comic Book yes. But how do you explain that technology in the movie's 60s that are supposed to be more realism based. And on top of that why not have any sentinels in earlier films when the "war" is just begining. Why have mutant hunting robots when mutants are not even a concern yet or really known of?

All I'm saying is it makes sense to have sentinels in a future movie....yes X4 or First Class 2 (future class) where a premonition mutant can see into the future.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #91
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
60s Comic Book yes. But how do you explain that technology in the movie's 60s that are supposed to be more realism based. And on top of that why not have any sentinels in earlier films when the "war" is just begining. Why have mutant hunting robots when mutants are not even a concern yet or really known of?

All I'm saying is it makes sense to have sentinels in a future movie....yes X4 or First Class 2 (future class) where a premonition mutant can see into the future.
The government certainly does of and is concerned about mutants. Remember the conversation those CIA agents had in front of Emma? "A war is coming, but with whom?"

If the Sentinels appear in XFC2 they're going to have to be scaled down somehow. I don't see how the government could get away with sending skyscraper-sized, massively destructive robots after mutants without frightening and infuriating the public.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #92
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
The government certainly does of and is concerned about mutants. Remember the conversation those CIA agents had in front of Emma? "A war is coming, but with whom?"

If the Sentinels appear in XFC2 they're going to have to be scaled down somehow. I don't see how the government could get away with sending skyscraper-sized, massively destructive robots after mutants without frightening and infuriating the public.
Yeah, not to mention their presence never being mentioned in X1-X3. Danger room doesn't count since it was foreshadowing.

If they go sentinels they would definitely have to be scaled down, or else audiences would ask why they were just used against the X-Men in later films.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they used a man size or slight larger type sentinel prototype that went after mutants so that there weren't very many.

However, given the amount of technology needed I don't see sentinels happening in the 60s-70s. This isn't the comics unfortunately.

And just because the CIA knows about mutants and it is mentioned doesn't mean that mutants are a serious issue. They were barely an issue in X1.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #93
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

I really [REALLY!!!] hope we get a sequel to this and one that respects the trilogy.

Sinister would make for a perfect villain, one that could give Magneto a run for his money and that would take us back to the X2 scripting style of having three views in conflict with one another (Xavier, Magneto, Stryker).

I don't think they should go the X4 route as much as I'd love to see an X4, and I don't think Singer should replace Vaughn as director. The styles are too different and it would damage what may be another potential trilogy.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #94
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
It could just be a renegade CIA member. In X-Men Evolution Trask was a SHIELD agent who invented Sentinels because he felt mutants were a growing problem and no one was doing anything about them. In the films they can have Trask be working for the CIA instead. I also think X-Men's Evolution's Sentinels had a size and design more appropriate for live action.

Even if it's just the team against one Sentinel, I think that would be cool to see. I actually loved the scene in X-Men Evolution where Trask released a prototype Sentinel on both the Brotherhood and X-Men and it was able to wipe the floor with both teams for most of the fight. Even if they just had one Sentinel for a scene like that it would be cool because it makes you wonder how dangerous an entire Sentinel army would be.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #95
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The sequel should be full X-men VS Brotherhood.For a possible third film that Is when
you can eather bring In Mr Sinster or do the Sentinles.A third film would allow them to
reconn the opening scene of Last Stand.It would allow for Cyclops to then be reintroduced(Since Wolverine Is laregly being Ignored) My preference Is for Singer to produce and Vaughn diewct first Class sequels.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #96
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The sequel should be full X-men VS Brotherhood.For a possible third film that Is when
you can eather bring In Mr Sinster or do the Sentinles.A third film would allow them to
reconn the opening scene of Last Stand.It would allow for Cyclops to then be reintroduced(Since Wolverine Is laregly being Ignored) My preference Is for Singer to produce and Vaughn diewct first Class sequels.
I agree, but think Sinister or some other baddie should be brought in earlier making the climax and movie that much better. I'm tired of this franchise playing it safe. Heck I'm surprised we got all we did in First Class. It's about time someone got it and up the ante. They did in X3 now it's time to follow suit.

Honestly, I don't want Singer anywhere near these movies. People he is the problem.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #97
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

I change my stance. Sentinels can be done.

What if the Russians in the arm race create sentinels to capture mutants in efforts to build a super mutant team led by omega red?

The sentinels become sentient (pun intended) and Russia loses control of them. The xmen are forced to save both the Russian milita and a certain Russian city from sentinel enslavement in a twisted sense of humor.

Barely defeating the sentinel army the xmen are whithered and weakened and the Russians sent out their mutant super team to finish off the xmen
They are defeated and captured ... Banshee andhavoc die.. and fearing the worst professor x turns to magneto for aid

They team up and create super cererbro powerful Enuf to encompass the globe. Magneto a relunctanct new team of Scott and jean attempt to rescue the xmen but were expected by the super mutant Russian team. Something mega happens and they all turn on omega red

Last edited by ciscostudent561; 06-09-2011 at 05:45 PM.
ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #98
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Making the Sentinels a Russian invention could be quite interesting..

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #99
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
I change my stance. Sentinels can be done.

What if the Russians in the arm race create sentinels to capture mutants in efforts to build a super mutant team led by omega red?

The sentinels become sentient (pun intended) and Russia loses control of them. The xmen are forced to save both the Russian milita and a certain Russian city from sentinel enslavement in a twisted sense of humor.

Barely defeating the sentinel army the xmen are whithered and weakened and the Russians sent out their mutant super team to finish off the xmen
They are defeated and captured ... Banshee andhavoc die.. and fearing the worst professor x turns to magneto for aid

They team up and create super cererbro powerful Enuf to encompass the globe. Magneto a relunctanct new team of Scott and jean attempt to rescue the xmen but were expected by the super mutant Russian team. Something mega happens and they all turn on omega red
Not bad. The basics sound fine.

Maybe Havok could opt to leave the team, maybe they could include Polaris (either as Mag's daughter or unrelated, and her powers depicted differently as visible electromagnetic energies...perhaps her green hair is due to the excess copper in her body which makes her a super-conductor or something, as copper does create green compounds). Then Havok and Polaris decide all the war and destruction is not the life for them and quit the team...

Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #100
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I like that idea. Very creative. My only thing would be that the Sentinels are not 50ft giants, but 7-10ft large automatons. I wouldn't kill Banshee or Havok, sense Siren is living in the mansion in X2. Yeah they could always say that she is someone else daughter or that that is not Siren at all. Just have Havok leave and go on his own or with Polaris or whomever.