SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Shazam!!!

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Sebastos
Bebop User

Default Shazam!!!

First off, I want to say that I can't WAIT for this flick. Been a long time fan of the character, and I'm keeping my hopes up! Second, what news have we gotten? Anything recent?? :huh:

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

[IMG]http://www.**************.com/images/users/uploads/14267/Brandon%20Molale.jpg[/IMG]

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
First off, I want to say that I can't WAIT for this flick. Been a long time fan of the character, and I'm keeping my hopes up! Second, what news have we gotten? Anything recent??
I agree... I think they should do it ala Monster Society and really focus on the boy in the beginning. Build it up to him becoming Captain Marvel (like in the first 1978 Superman movie)

Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Re: Shazam!!! - Part 1

Oooww, a superman rip-off. It's so obvious.

Dark-haired super strong flying man in a suit and cape, with a symbol on the chest.
I wonder how much effort they must put into it to make it stand on its own.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Include Billy Batson. Done.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
gn6196
Side-Kick

I never saw him as any more than a second rate Superman.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

A 2nd rate Superman perhaps. Just as powerful and his powers are based on an entirely different premise.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
some guy
Blackagar Boltagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Oooww, a superman rip-off. It's so obvious.

Dark-haired super strong flying man in a suit and cape, with a symbol on the chest.
I wonder how much effort they must put into it to make it stand on its own.
Super-powered alien rocketed to Earth from a doomed planet...

Boy granted magic-based powers derived from 5 Roman/Greek deities and a Biblical figure...

Wow, yeah, those are remarkably similar. Someone should sue somebody, probably.

some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn6196 View Post
I never saw him as any more than a second rate Superman.
Then you've never read a story with him? He was created as a response to Superman, sure, but so is every superhero. Obviously he had something special to make him more popular than even Superman and Batman at one point in time.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Captain Marvel is not a rip-off of Superman. There are similarities, however, Captain Marvel is very different. He's not an alien from another planet, rocked to Earth, etc. Unlike the extraterrestrial Superman, Captain Marvel is magical, going back to old folklore and mythos of classic times, Greek mythology. The 3,000 year-old wizard Shazam turned young Billy Batson into Captain Marvel with the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury. The wizard Shazam's name is from the first letters of the seven Elder's names. Billy Batson becomes Captain Marvel by saying the magic word, which is the wizard's name, Shazam. Superman never lost his powers as Clark Kent, but Billy Batson is as vulnerable as any young, non-super-powered boy, thus, more relatable.

Superman's look was modeled after Douglas Fairbanks, as Clark Kent his look was modeled after Harold Lloyd. Captain Marvel's look was modeled after Fred McMurray. The wizard Shazam's look was modeled after Merlin. Superman's costume was modeled after circus/carnival strong man costumes, with trunks over tights. Captain Marvel's costume was modeled after both military uniforms, with a buttoned lapel and boxy shoulders, buccaneer boots, and ancient Egyptian and Persian costumes, with arm bands, a sash with a dangling tail, a cape with braid/button loops that's held around his neck by a cord and hanging over one shoulder was modeled after the ceremonial cape worn by the British nobility.

Captain Marvel was shown flying from Washington to New York and from New York to Chicago in Whiz Comics #5 (May, 1940) "Captain Marvel Crashes Through" by creators Bill Parker and C.C. Beck, while Superman was still only leaping an eighth of a mile. http://www.marvelfamily.com/FunFacts...t.aspx?FFID=29
Captain Marvel Jr. first appeared in Whiz Comics #25 (December, 1941), years before Superboy first appeared in More Fun Comics #101 (January–February, 1945). Mary Marvel first appeared in Captain Marvel Adventures #18 (December, 1942), years before Supergirl first appeared in Action Comics #252 (May, 1959). Even Hoppy the Marvel Bunny first appeared in Fawcett's Funny Animals #1 (December, 1942), years before Krypto the Superdog first appeared in Adventure Comics #210 (March, 1955). In Richard Donner's Superman: The Movie (1978) and Donner's Superman II (1978), Marlon Brando's Jor-El was a Shazam-like mentor spirit who counsels Superman, like the wizard Shazam counsels Captain Marvel, and in a huge Fortress, that is reminiscent of the the wizard Shazam's Rock of Eternity. Even Luthor's assistant Ms. Teschmacher who has feelings for Superman and saves him, is like Sivana's assistant Beautia who has feelings for Captain Marvel, and she saves him. Beautia first appeared in Whiz Comics #3 (April, 1940) "The Return of Sivana" by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-08-2011 at 02:09 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Airwings
Waves of air

No matter what their backstories are and how they get their powers. For non-comic readers it would visually look as a Superman clone. Sorry to say that.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy View Post
Super-powered alien rocketed to Earth from a doomed planet...

Boy granted magic-based powers derived from 5 Roman/Greek deities and a Biblical figure...

Wow, yeah, those are remarkably similar. Someone should sue somebody, probably.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

A Shazam! movie that's faithful to the comics would make it obvious to non-comic readers that Captain Marvel/Billy Batson is definitely not a Superman/Clark Kent clone.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Exactly. They just need to start it slow... start with the boy living on the streets, a street rat kind of thing and the hardships of that life. Jeff Smith's version of Shazam was perfectly ideal for a film... well, minus the talking alligators.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Airwings
Waves of air

Well, time to discuss some actors then.
I have read that people prefer The Rock as Black Adam. It could work if he have a tough side to him, and not acting like it's one of his family films.

*laugh* I just got Brendan Fraser's name in my head when thinking about Captain Marvel himself.
Finding Billy Batson is not just something that should be taken lightly. They must push themselves and going for some really talented young guy. Not Logan Lerman because he's everywhere these days and more of a celebrity. No, they should go with someone like Liam Aiken.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Liam Aiken is 21 and Logan Lerman is 19. Billy is supposed to be like 12.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Exactly. They just need to start it slow... start with the boy living on the streets, a street rat kind of thing and the hardships of that life. Jeff Smith's version of Shazam was perfectly ideal for a film... well, minus the talking alligators.
Did not like Smith's idea of Billy and Cap being two separate beings though. I prefer him to be Billy (on the inside) when he's Cap.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Airwings
Waves of air

Well, I don't think they gonna go with an actual 12-year-old kid. They gonna change him into a teenager or something.
Liam Aiken would perhaps be a good pick RIGHT NOW, with his youthful looks and appearance. But the Shazam will lay years into the future, unfortunately. I guess Aiken will be old enough to play the hero by then.

This year, 2011, I think Kevin Zegers could work as Captain Marvel, He's both young and in the right age, I guess. And he's not skinny, he has got muscles.

Last edited by Airwings; 06-14-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

What's the current status of this property? Last I heard it was in development with Peter Segal directing. Has it reverted back into developmental hell? As for Billy Batson, how about Joel Courtney from Super 8?

Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Airwings
Waves of air

No Joel Courtney. I think it should be Max Records' turn again. He comes before Joel in the line.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

with the superman legal stuff now, maybe shazam is the way to go now. build him up.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #23
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Another kid I would consider for Billy Batson would be Zach Gordon.

Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
Lord
All Mighty

I don't think a Kid transforming into an adult superhero would work, they can make him in his 20s that is given his powers and to make it even more diferent than superman they can make it set in the 40s and even take some elements from the popular serials, like Indiana Jones toke some elements from early serials.
Shazam must follow the same style.

Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

why would making a kid who turns into a superhero not work? little kids would have something to relate to. grownups would be able to relate to being big kids when watching it. seems like a win win.