Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #76
Hyden
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shazam!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
#2.

There's no reason to have a gritty, mean Black Adam without doing #2. Yes I know, Billy Batson needs to evolve from being a kid to a hapless adult. Shazam needs to evolve if it wants to reap success in the box office.
I'm sure you're right. My hope is that the upcoming reintroduction of him in to the DCU in Justice League will go a long way toward updating and sharpening the character.

Hyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #77
batdude
Side-Kick

Well, I still think it was a mistake not to do this with The Rock as Black Adam, but this definitely is a character that needs more humor than Batman or Wolverine.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #78
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the question of how to adapt Captain Marvel (Or I guess Shazam now) really comes down to what sort of audience demographic the movie s supposed to appeal to. I think there are a few ways you could do it

1. Make it a kids movie. This is just plain simple because Captain Marvel is a classically wholesome and soft edged character and the true appeal of Billy Batson's story has always been unadulterated wish fulfillment fantasies. I don't think you'd really need to do anything special with the source material, just make it very simple and light hearted and kid friendly.
The problem with this is that there really aren't that many none-pixar/live-action family films with broad appeal really being made today so chances are it would be insufferable for anybody old enough to already know who Captain Marvel is. That and, I'm not sure what sort of boxoffice prospects a live action PG film has these days. I guess stuff like Alvin and the Chipmunks net enough to warrant sequels, but they seem relatively inexpensive to me, not like a super hero film.

2. the second option is to do what most super-hero films do, which is tailor toward to ever precious 13-30 male demographic and all their lovely wallets. But the so-called darker/edgier/more violent characters (like Batman, Iron Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Spider-man) normally fair best in these situations both critically and commercially so I imagine that if Shazam would be adapted for this most lucrative of markets they would have to take quite a few liberties with the source material.
I'm not one to say it can't be done, but I'd be really surprised if anybody managed to take Shazam and make it simultaneously appealing to young men/ bare passing resemblance to the source material/ worth watch.

3. The third option, I guess, would be to make it a kitsch/camp post-modern throwback/send up to Golden Age comics with varying levels of tongue-in-cheek satire and self awareness. I could actually imagine this being really good, it my mind it might have the deconstructed, high-culture/low-culture appeal of a Tarantino film with that great grey "is it art-house or exploitation?" meta-textual flair.
Of course, this option is more than likely going to go right over everybody's heads, or at least that's what the powers that be at Warner Bros. would tell you 3 minutes in to the pitch-meeting. Much too obtuse and high-concept for any major studio the green-light, and it's not exactly a property you could shop around to anybody else.

Can anybody think of another possibility to add?
4. All of the above.

If a creator can't make a Captain Marvel movie that is a kids and adults movie, with serious and fantastical elements, with a bit of a wink to it, they shouldn't be making it.

SHAZAM could be the movie that could bridge the gap, and open up a whole new world of superhero movie possibilities.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 02-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #79
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Oooww, a superman rip-off. It's so obvious.

Dark-haired super strong flying man in a suit and cape, with a symbol on the chest.

I wonder how much effort they must put into it to make it stand on its own.
1) So wearing a cape, a costume, and having a symbol on your chest is enough to be labeled a copy of Superman? Oh no! I guess the hundreds of superheroes wearing costumes, capes, and with symbols on their chests are Superman ripoffs.

2) Super-strength is easily the most common superpower ever. It's even seen in real world mythology, from Thor to Samson to Hercules.

3) Captain Marvel flew. Superman could only leap tall buildings in a single bound. He flew later.

4) You honestly have to ask how much effort they put into it to stand on its own when their backgrounds are absolutely nothing alike?

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #80
Billy Batson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
I think the question of how to adapt Captain Marvel (Or I guess Shazam now) really comes down to what sort of audience demographic the movie s supposed to appeal to. I think there are a few ways you could do it

1. Make it a kids movie. This is just plain simple because Captain Marvel is a classically wholesome and soft edged character and the true appeal of Billy Batson's story has always been unadulterated wish fulfillment fantasies. I don't think you'd really need to do anything special with the source material, just make it very simple and light hearted and kid friendly.
The problem with this is that there really aren't that many none-pixar/live-action family films with broad appeal really being made today so chances are it would be insufferable for anybody old enough to already know who Captain Marvel is. That and, I'm not sure what sort of boxoffice prospects a live action PG film has these days. I guess stuff like Alvin and the Chipmunks net enough to warrant sequels, but they seem relatively inexpensive to me, not like a super hero film.

2. the second option is to do what most super-hero films do, which is tailor toward to ever precious 13-30 male demographic and all their lovely wallets. But the so-called darker/edgier/more violent characters (like Batman, Iron Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Spider-man) normally fair best in these situations both critically and commercially so I imagine that if Shazam would be adapted for this most lucrative of markets they would have to take quite a few liberties with the source material.
I'm not one to say it can't be done, but I'd be really surprised if anybody managed to take Shazam and make it simultaneously appealing to young men/ bare passing resemblance to the source material/ worth watch.

3. The third option, I guess, would be to make it a kitsch/camp post-modern throwback/send up to Golden Age comics with varying levels of tongue-in-cheek satire and self awareness. I could actually imagine this being really good, it my mind it might have the deconstructed, high-culture/low-culture appeal of a Tarantino film with that great grey "is it art-house or exploitation?" meta-textual flair.
Of course, this option is more than likely going to go right over everybody's heads, or at least that's what the powers that be at Warner Bros. would tell you 3 minutes in to the pitch-meeting. Much too obtuse and high-concept for any major studio the green-light, and it's not exactly a property you could shop around to anybody else.

I would use SHAZAM! POWER OF HOPE story by Alex Ross and Paul Dini as the springboard for my script or just hire those guys as the script writers.
I'm not sure on the director I would chose. My Captain Marvel would be very "kiddish" and that would cover the kid appeal element. My action sequences would be very "Dark Knight'ish" or "Superman I'ish" and the vibe of those sequences would have a very "adult" tone to them. Kids are easy, flying, punching and cool visuals, they are happy.
I'm surprised the "system" hasn't green lit a film program like "SHAZAM!" yet. A SHAZAM! film can contain an awful amount of Illuminati Symbolism that the "SYSTEM" love to embed in mass entertainment programming.

One can't escape the pyramids, the all seeing eye and pillars these days.
i.e Madonna's Superbowl Halftime show,Nicky Minaj Grammy performance and ABC's "The River" premier promotion logo. Holey Moly!

SHAZAM!

Billy Batson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #81
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Quote:
No Joel Courtney. I think it should be Max Records' turn again. He comes before Joel in the line.
So why would you care about this movie or who gets cast?? I thought you said it was only a "ripoff" & very similar to Superman??

Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #82
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
So why would you care about this movie or who gets cast?? I thought you said it was only a "ripoff" & very similar to Superman??
This is what I wrote:
Quote:
Oooww, a superman rip-off. It's so obvious.

Dark-haired super strong flying man in a suit and cape, with a symbol on the chest.
Quote:

I wonder how much effort they must put into it to make it stand on its own.

Quote:
No matter what their backstories are and how they get their powers. For non-comic readers it would visually look as a Superman clone. Sorry to say that.

I guess you know what I mean.

Now let me know who you prefer - Joel Courtney, Max Records or Zachary Gordon.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #83
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

I really don't care which kid they cast, but I do want this movie made & most importantly, it remains faithful to the comic source.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #84
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

i think a live action film would suck. someone in one of the others threads i think, mentioned that they should make it in the vein of megamind and the incredibles; i think that would be great for that franchise unless people want totally rework the origins otherwise, as is, i find that captain marvel's origins in a live action film would seem pretty campy.

ЯɘvlveR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #85
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

What would you guys think of Jason Momoa as Black Adam and Armie Hammer as Captain Marvel?

BruceWanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #86
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

As far as actual tone goes, I think it needs to be a fun action/adventure movie like The Rocketeer.

Donnie Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #87
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
As far as actual tone goes, I think it needs to be a fun action/adventure movie like The Rocketeer.
That sounds interesting, but I'd lean a bit more towards the tone of Thor.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #88
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Edgar Wright could do it.

Robert Rodriguez could do it.

Peter Berg could do it.

it needs to be kid AND adult friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #89
Rockstar
Banned User

I wouldn't mind a dark and serious reinterpretation of Shazam. One that lines up well with Man of Steel.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #90
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
Edgar Wright could do it.

Robert Rodriguez could do it.

Peter Berg could do it.

it needs to be kid AND adult friendly.
Agreed 100%!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #91
The Guard
Side-Kick

Yeah, I don't think I want Robert Rodriguez's brand of "kid friendly" anywhere near Shazam.

And if I'm right
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #92
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin

And certainly not Roman Polanski's idea of kid friendly...

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #93
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

With Johns pushing his Flashpoint Shazam team into main continuity, what do people think of that idea?

I mean, there's a little bit better idea of how to do it since S.H.A.Z.A.M is like every Captain Planet or He-Man tone kids show.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #94
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

I rather they use Robert Rodriquez brand of adult friendly.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #95
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post

I do not see how a Tarantino style Shazam film would work.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #96
TheWatcher
Dapper

I think the tone of the Shazam movie should be like Iron Man.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #97
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I disagree, I think a Shazam movie should be somewhat brighter. It almost has to be, it has a kid hero. Kid hero + dark grittiness is a bad combination.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #98
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I think Super 8 had a good tone for shazaam. in fact, J.J abrams would make an awesome film out of this imo.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #99
The Guard
Side-Kick

There's never been a movie with the combination of tones SHAZAM needs to have. SHAZAM should be something new entirely.

And if I'm right
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #100
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Well, if the Rock takes Lobo, I'd change direction in Black Adam and have say Holt McCallany from Lights Out.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 05-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.
TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote