X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Worst moments in 'X-men: First Class'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamond View Post
emma frost being easily subdued by xavier and magneto

the fact mystique didn't fight at all in the movie

the introduction of the lame irish mutant banshee

emma frosts diamond form changing her clothes as well as looking over alll cheap and like glass.
We saw Mystique fighting and somersaulting all over the place in three films. Do we really need to see that again and again?

First Class wasn't meant to show her as a skilled, self-assured adult.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #27
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

And she lived with Charles most of her life, who wouldn't have taught her to fight.

Worst moments for me...

...when the fidgety kid sitting next to me finally had enough and spent the last 10 minutes of the movie literally bouncing up and down in his seat.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #28
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Default Re: Wourse moments in 'X-men: First Class'

One of the worst moments came right after my personal favorite. I'll use spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Xavier getting shot and how everything evolved from there. It was an horrible and unexpected moment; although we all knew it was coming, I guess nothing prepared us for the emotional impact of the scene. It was so brilliantly done: the moment when suddenly the missiles meant nothing to Erik while he rushed to his friend's side; missiles falling from the sky in an almost eerie silence, the jubilant crew on board, while we knew that a deep personal tragedy was affecting the mutants at that precise moment of happiness for humans. The heartfelt dialogues, the acting, characters making heartbreaking choices. Perfect.

And then...

Although I totally object to Mystique leaving Charles at that precise moment (I don't object the fact that she would eventually leave him), what really shocked me was both Erik and Raven leaving the severely wounded Charles behind. Why, he could very well be dying at that moment for all we know. But it came of as something like "Well, the convo is very good and all, but we gotta move our asses outta here. Good luck taking ol' Chuck to the nearest hospital 500 miles away when all you have are a broken Blackbird and a broken submarine. Lol, bye b******!" BAMF.

I was like "What the..."

But seriously, it bothered me a great deal. It wouldn't hurt to have Erik saying "I'll see that you take him out of here immediately" or something. Oh well. Thankfully what came before had such an emotional impact, but Erik and Raven deserting the wounded Charles left a bad taste in my mouth.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #29
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
The killing of Darwin. It served no purpose. I hated them killing him off.
How do you know he's dead? He adapts. He could have likely become energy and will reassemble in the sequel. His death was important in that it showed how far these guys are willing to go...even to kill their own kind to accomplish their goals.

GhostPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey 2007 View Post
The only thing missing from the movie was the gloves.

For fans of Kirby, seeing this on screen was very special!
I just saw it again last night, and from what I remember, he did have the gloves.

I loved the fact that it was so accurate to the Kirby design. Yeah, it may have looked silly or off to some, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Worst moment for me in this film was when that CIA guy was trying to get the mutants to show their powers. His voice and acting was terrible.

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #31
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

I hated Riptide, I hated how they coined all the names in just one try, I didn't enjoy some of the editing in the movie (I don't care if the guy worked on "Inception", you're only as good as your last job), I didn't like the fact that Emma never tried to escape or explained why she didn't, and just for kicks I didn't enjoy the holding of hands way that Azazel used to teleport others, it felt very Kumbayah everytime.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
Sun_Down
You Best Is Enough

The codename scene was corny and lazy, hated every second of it. I thought Beast's reveal was too quick and lacked any sort of gravitas, and his voice never seemed to match his mouth after he transformed. Angel in general was pointless. And I thought Azazel and Riptide were kinda bland as villains.

I also felt that leaving Charles there on the beach was abrupt and odd.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
I thought Beast's reveal was too quick and lacked any sort of gravitas, and his voice never seemed to match his mouth after he transformed.
Thank you, I forgot these two and the beach thing.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
Zimmy
Side-Kick

Much more cool stuff but since you asked...

The Teen Wolf reveal of Beast, I almost laughed out loud.
Every word spoken by January Jones
The Jim Carrey as the Riddler Sebastian Shaw absorb effect.

Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #35
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I didn't like the first couple of scenes with the child actors. I know they're kids, but Vaughn got a great performance from a child in his previous movie, so I expected better. I was seriously cringing when young Erik was screaming "Nein." And that wasn't entirely the kid's fault - he shouldn't have been directed to scream that same word the whole time. Just cheesy to the max. I was a little worried about the tone of the movie after the opening scenes. But then Fassbender showed up and all was groovy.

But I also didn't much care for the Beast reveal. I thought the transformation scene before it was great though.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
Cashman

I didn't like Shaw's death (if that is what happened.) Even a slow moving coin has kinetic energy and hence doesn't work.

Cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #37
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I didn't like the first couple of scenes with the child actors. I know they're kids, but Vaughn got a great performance from a child in his previous movie, so I expected better. I was seriously cringing when young Erik was screaming "Nein." And that wasn't entirely the kid's fault - he shouldn't have been directed to scream that same word the whole time. Just cheesy to the max. I was a little worried about the tone of the movie after the opening scenes. But then Fassbender showed up and all was groovy.
I agree. Those childhood scenes felt rather cheesy, especially the kid yelling "NEIN!" Fassbender killing Nazis is when the film turned around for me.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #38
blackdiamond
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
We saw Mystique fighting and somersaulting all over the place in three films. Do we really need to see that again and again?

First Class wasn't meant to show her as a skilled, self-assured adult.

i know what first class was meant for i'm not stupid. they can show mystique being skilled at fighting while sill showing how she become secure in her physical appearance etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And she lived with Charles most of her life, who wouldn't have taught her to fight.

Worst moments for me...

...when the fidgety kid sitting next to me finally had enough and spent the last 10 minutes of the movie literally bouncing up and down in his seat.

the way mystique faught in the x-men films didn't look like a normal fighting style that required a teacher. looked more like she had some superhuman agility/flexibility/speed going on to match basic hand to hand fighting.

Last edited by blackdiamond; 06-06-2011 at 03:13 PM.
blackdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #39
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

I really didn't like the CG in Banshee's first flying scene around the satellite dish. It looked really bad. "Wolverine" bad.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #40
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
I really didn't like the CG in Banshee's first flying scene around the satellite dish. It looked really bad. "Wolverine" bad.
I agree. They did a good job with Banshee's flying in the final battle though.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #41
childeroland
Side-Kick

Second Emma Frost being so easily subdued. Is that where the Inception mind fight scene was supposed to be?

The death of the Man in Black. Should have been more of him.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

I second the complaints about Darwin and the Man in Black. They played up MiB so much in the lead up to the film that I expected more to come out of him, like he was somehow someone else in disguise. I wouldn't have been surprised to have him be Sinister, using the government to fund his research on mutants.

I've already voiced my opinion elsewhere on Emma's portrayal and the effects for her diamond form.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #43
FreeRadical
HAIL HYDRA!

January Jones' 'acting' and Chewbacca Beast (the actor was good, but the costume/make-up....?)

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #44
illest urban
Que3r Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Angel Salvadore
Co-signed. Completely.

I'm with Eddy. Team Norton.
[=]
equality.

In Singer I Trust. | McAvoy -- Fassbender -- Bacon. | X-Men: First Class | June 3, 2011
illest urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #45
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
They played up MiB so much in the lead up to the film that I expected more to come out of him, like he was somehow someone else in disguise.
No one played him up.

It was fans that overhyped him for some reason...That shouldn't be a mark against the movie.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
QueenOfTheHeart

I'm sorry to all the Erik/Mysique fans, but I hated their bedroom scene!

QueenOfTheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #47
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamond View Post
i know what first class was meant for i'm not stupid. they can show mystique being skilled at fighting while sill showing how she become secure in her physical appearance etc.
No one was calling you stupid.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #48
QueenOfTheHeart

How can you think it was unexpected even though we all knew it was coming! I disagree, I loved Charles injury scene, I along with my friends, think it was all very moving and we all cried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
One of the worst moments came right after my personal favorite. I'll use spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Xavier getting shot and how everything evolved from there. It was an horrible and unexpected moment; although we all knew it was coming, I guess nothing prepared us for the emotional impact of the scene. It was so brilliantly done: the moment when suddenly the missiles meant nothing to Erik while he rushed to his friend's side; missiles falling from the sky in an almost eerie silence, the jubilant crew on board, while we knew that a deep personal tragedy was affecting the mutants at that precise moment of happiness for humans. The heartfelt dialogues, the acting, characters making heartbreaking choices. Perfect.

And then...

Although I totally object to Mystique leaving Charles at that precise moment (I don't object the fact that she would eventually leave him), what really shocked me was both Erik and Raven leaving the severely wounded Charles behind. Why, he could very well be dying at that moment for all we know. But it came of as something like "Well, the convo is very good and all, but we gotta move our asses outta here. Good luck taking ol' Chuck to the nearest hospital 500 miles away when all you have are a broken Blackbird and a broken submarine. Lol, bye b******!" BAMF.

I was like "What the..."

But seriously, it bothered me a great deal. It wouldn't hurt to have Erik saying "I'll see that you take him out of here immediately" or something. Oh well. Thankfully what came before had such an emotional impact, but Erik and Raven deserting the wounded Charles left a bad taste in my mouth.

QueenOfTheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #49
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

-Magneto's costume in the end

-Beast choking Magneto. I thought Beast over-reacted, he wasn't that too aggressive at the beginning

-No line for Riptide

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #50
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post

But I also didn't much care for the Beast reveal. I thought the transformation scene before it was great though.
Oh, forgot about that. I think young Xavier and Raven were fine, but the young Erik scene was kind of weak. The scene where his mother was killed should have had a more visceral impact, but it came out flat. And then when young Erik was lashing out, the audience started to chuckle a little bit. Kevin Bacon was awesome though.

Haha and I already mentioned that I thought the Beast reveal looked like the silhouette of fat Elvis.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote