The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #51
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Worst moments in 'X-men: First Class'

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but I didn't like that there was no musical intro besides the spinning coin (which people in my audience laughed at as well). It jumped right into the movie. I don't recall if Vaughn always skips this, but I've loved all the musical/intro credits scenes from the previous movies. I wanted one for this movie especially because this was a period piece with style overflowing.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #52
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Wourse moments in 'X-men: First Class'

Quote:
Originally Posted by illest urban View Post
Co-signed. Completely.
I think the problems with her character are

-Her character is not really popular at the comics.
-She is not charming.
-She sided with Sebastian Shaw then after that she became mute.
-She wasn't interesting.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #53
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
-Beast choking Magneto. I thought Beast over-reacted, he wasn't that too aggressive at the beginning
Yeah, you've just been turned into a blue monster and you're still getting ***** from your team mates. He felt the same as as he did before, except that this time he acted on his emotions. That scene couldn't have felt more natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
I didn't enjoy the holding of hands way that Azazel used to teleport others, it felt very Kumbayah everytime.

yeah, they should have hugged instead

c-saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #54
DoomGuy91
Side-Kick

MUTANT AND PROUD

Gee, i wonder what THAT reminds me of.....

You can see the similarities, Raven trying to hide in the "closet", afraid of what she is, but finally accepting what she is, and came out of the closet, and showed Ga...i mean mutant pride

DoomGuy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #55
Robin91939
Master Tim

This wasn't necessarily a bad moment, but a MISSED opportunity.

This was a film that charts Xavier's childhood/young adulthood.... Where's Cain Marko? Why couldn't we delve into his abusive Stepfather or at least mention it. I'd love to see the young mutants go toe-to-toe with a fully realized Juggernaut (forgetting the abomination in the original trilogy). Just an opportunity missed. But than again, I guess you can say the same for Erik not seeing his wife killed and his child murdered. Maybe in a future film it could be touched on, but I doubt it...they have such rich histories and those histories open up TREMENDOUS potential for future stories...it's a shame.

-R

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #56
Zimmy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashman View Post
I didn't like Shaw's death (if that is what happened.) Even a slow moving coin has kinetic energy and hence doesn't work.
Good point.
I just assumed he had to be aware to absorb the energy.
Also, maybe the coin has to remain inside him, when he forced it to go all the way through, he was cooked.
I got to hand it to Vaughn, that was one of the most shocking death scenes in a super hero movie. I kept saying no way they will show that.

I'm sure there were many other ways Magneto could kill him but that was the theme laid out in the beginning.

To keep with the theme of this thread, I had a little bit of a problem that the plot hinged on Shaw blackmailing 2 military officials.
You didn't need to be a mutant to accomplish that and it probably wouldn't work as you expect it to.
But hey, it's a comic book movie.

Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #57
GunRanger
Side-Kick

Mutant and Proud, and "you didn't ask so I didn't tell" were the worst.

Angel going from best friends to "I'm going to kill you" in the matter of days.

Mimicking the shot of Sully putting his feet in the dirt from Avatar with Mystique who somehow finds dirt in the kitchen.

Pretty much everything uttered from Mystique.

GunRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #58
Dugath
Side-Kick

I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

What I did not like, was the title of the movie "First Class" this should have been something like X-Men Origins or something, clearly this is a origin tale of Magneto and Prof-X, Having the title "First Class" makes people think about the original X-men, who who not in this movie (except Beast).

Did not like having Havok included, there was no real need to have this particular character in the movie, he did nothing of importance, it was like a throw in, and all it did was make people mad "why Havok.. where is Cyclops?"

I also pictured Emma to be more beautiful..she was not ugly or anything but I would not call her beautiful (just my opinion is all)

Did not know a bed frame could crack diamond.

A good movie, found the interaction between characters good. I also like the fact there was some good violence
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the coin through the head, people being killed and did Wolverine say a bad word?? lol.

Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #59
Sun_Down
Groovy

I forgot about "mutant and proud". That line was poorly written and poorly delivered.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #60
slothbp
Side-Kick

The only part I giggle at was Beasts lousy voice dubbing after he got the fangs. It's pretty funny to hear.

slothbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #61
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
Did not like having Havok included, there was no real need to have this particular character in the movie, he did nothing of importance, it was like a throw in, and all it did was make people mad "why Havok.. where is Cyclops?"
Well, Havok is one of the older X-Men characters, appearing in the late 60's or so, so his appearance was warranted on some level...If people truly felt mad about him being there and not Cyclops, then that's unfortunate and a little ridiculous.

The movie wasn't about the kids and their importances individually, but the team as a whole. I know he wasn't completely fleshed out, but I don't think there was enough necessity or time to really delve into his backstory all that much, especially if it was going to affect the focus of the movie.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #62
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

1. Darwin being killed. If that was supposed to evoke sorrow in the audience it didn't work because he wasn't at all developed in the short time he was in the movie. Plus, it negated what Shaw said earlier to Emma about how they shouldn't kill their own kind.

2. Angel's turn was too sudden and not really well-explained. I hope more scenes of her were shot and will be included in some future cut of the film.

3. Mystique abandoning Charles on the island didn't make much sense either. I know she had been growing apart from Charles and was now smitten with Magneto but she didn't even make sure he was going to be okay or have a way off Cuba.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #63
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

What I did not like, was the title of the movie "First Class" this should have been something like X-Men Origins or something, clearly this is a origin tale of Magneto and Prof-X, Having the title "First Class" makes people think about the original X-men, who who not in this movie (except Beast).[/SPOILER]
No, it has fanboys *****ing that the original five(minus Beast)weren't in this film. I doubt the general audience knows who the first five X-men were. Most of them only know of what they saw in the movies and maybe the animated series.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #64
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Anytime Angel or Mystique tried to act

*shudder*

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #65
Figs
Banned User

I don't get what was wrong with Mystique's acting. It's not like it was spectacular, but it was still good enough.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #66
kedrell
Band user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
I agree. Those childhood scenes felt rather cheesy, especially the kid yelling "NEIN!" Fassbender killing Nazis is when the film turned around for me.
I agree with this(though I though Bacon was doing pretty well in that scene). And I liked the Argentina scene but the score was just too much and undercut that scene for me as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #67
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Mystique wasn't bad in general. Just when she was in a really dramatic scene and tried to turn it on. The scene when she was trying to talk Hank out of taking the serum...that was cringeworthy. All in all, I didn't have a problem with her.

Angel, well, everything about her sucked. All I could think after was that I suddenly like Lenny Kravitz a little less. She barely spoke, she turned WAY too easily, I mean wtf, a day ago you were saving the world with your friends and now you want to kill them personally and start a nuclear war?? The cgi or whatever on her powers sucked.

Actually, the whole fight/flight sequence with her and Banshee was hard to watch. Did the budget run out on that part? Might as well have had the wires showing.

I guess I didnt see it in Mad Men because of her character, but either January Jones is a **** actress, or they just didn't prep her on who Emma Frost is well enough. Her portrayal of White Queen was like the female version of Julian McMahon as Doctor Doom. Line delivery was awful.

Beasts makeup was pretty bad too.

Didn't get why Erik killed the guards in the Nazi scene but didn't try to kill Shaw. Not only that, but let him pat him on the head and talk like he didnt just shoot his mother down. That was pretty wtf.

This is a worst moments thread though. I loved the movie, these were just the parts I could have done without.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #68
kedrell
Band user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I don't get what was wrong with Mystique's acting. It's not like it was spectacular, but it was still good enough.
To be fair, I think it was more about poor dialogue given to her, than bad acting. Her acting was fine, IMO.

But most superhero movies(and ALL of the X-Men movies) have suffered from hammy, too on the nose, unsubtle dialogue. Especially when showing that humans are bigots. I mean really, are two adult, trained CIA agents gonna start goofing around like they did in that one scene? Ugh!

Memo to Brian Singer - showing your POV(anti-bigot) to be right does not require turning the opposing side into racist, caracatured, morons to get your point across. It actually undercuts the message of your movie. Try being more subtle in the future.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #69
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Didn't get why Erik killed the guards in the Nazi scene but didn't try to kill Shaw.
He wasn't trying to kill the guards; he was so angry his powers spun out of control.

Quote:
Not only that, but let him pat him on the head and talk like he didnt just shoot his mother down. That was pretty wtf.
What else was he going to do? He was a kid in a Nazi concentration camp. Attacking Shaw would've resulted in his being tortured, I'm sure.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #70
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I actually kinda agree. Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique was kind of annoying, which I blame partly on the writing of the character. She's supposed to be the same age as Charles and Magneto (some say even older) since they're all the same ages as kids, but as adults she's relegated to be part of the first class, with Moira, Erik and Charles being disappointed with how she was behaving.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #71
kedrell
Band user

Superhero movies in general could do with a healthy dose of improv in helping to make script dialogue sound much more natural, intrinsic and personnally owned by the characters. Sure, some really good actors can take not so good dialogue and sell it without improv, but not every actor in these films can do that.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #72
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
He wasn't trying to kill the guards; he was so angry his powers spun out of control.
Sure he was. He was staring right at them with rage in his eyes while their helmets crushed their heads.

Quote:
What else was he going to do? He was a kid in a Nazi concentration camp. Attacking Shaw would've resulted in his being tortured, I'm sure.
And killing german soldiers wouldn't?

Shaw shot her right in front of him. Least he could have done is tried. Not like he was thinking rationally at the time. Unless your position is that as he was crushing the soldiers skulls he was thinking "better only kill these two or i'll get in trouble".

Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #73
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

My worst moments:

-The montage of Shaw taking over the world when Xavier read emma's mind. Way beyond cheesy. One of the cheesiest moments I've ever seen in a movie with missles flying across the map and Shaw having his mustache twirling grin.

-Same about the split screen montage of mushroom clouds and newspaper headlines when cold war were declared. Incredibly campy and cheesy.

-Moira mctaggert being turned into a cia agent so Matthew Vaughn could pretend he was making a James bond movie.

-Mystique and Xavier relationship. It was well done, I just wasnt a fan of the creative direction.

-Angel Salvadore. Her turn was blatantly forced for the sake of having someone turn.

-The kids coming up with codenames was cheesy and forced.

-The scene of Emma fetching ice for Shaw. Why are they randomly in Antarctica?

-I know it doesn't mean anything because it doesn't effect the movie at all... But the style used for the ending credits. Again, more of Vaughn pretending he's making a bond movie. But its the closing credits... That is by far the nitpickiest of nitpicks. But its still something I noticed.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 06-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #74
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post

-The scene of Emma fetching ice for Shaw. Why are they randomly in Antarctica?
They really enjoyed showing her carve stuff with her diamond fingers for some reason. Almost gratuitous. I feel that like whole scene may have been done just for that.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #75
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
-The montage of Shaw taking over the world when Xavier read emma's mind. Way beyond cheesy. One of the cheesiest moments I've ever seen in a movie with missles flying across the map and Shaw having his mustache twirling grin..
It was intentionally meant to be tongue in cheek. I didn't really get it until I saw it a second time.

The effect probably didn't work for everyone.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote