The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #76
jamesfrb

Default Re: Worst moments in 'X-men: First Class'

I don't like Beast's face bec. it looks creepy. That look can pull off horror/suspense movie.
Anyway, that's why his name is Beast.

jamesfrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #77
Holiday
'Bout that action

I definitely agree with the Angel complaints. They throw in the scene of the CIA men laughing at the kids maybe 10 minutes before she turns to join Shaw but it wasn't enough. Felt rushed for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Didn't get why Erik killed the guards in the Nazi scene but didn't try to kill Shaw. Not only that, but let him pat him on the head and talk like he didnt just shoot his mother down. That was pretty wtf.
I felt the same way seeing the scene but my thinking is perhaps he couldn't control his powers long enough to move something to attack Shaw with. He wasn't familiar with his powers yet as we could see with him not being able to even move a coin with a gun on his mother.

With the guards, they had the helmets on their head so they're a quick easy kill.

They codename scene that some didn't like, I thought it was fine. One of my favorite scenes combined with the kids showcasing their powers.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #78
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

The problem is, there really is no great way for those codenames to be quickly established in any scene. I thought it was a nice way to make the connection with being government "agents" and therefore, they should choose names for themselves..I thought it was also intentionally tongue in cheek and was meant to be mildly comedic anyway.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #79
Quetzal
Side-Kick

The German accents in the entire film, they ranged from terrible to annoying.

Even fassbender's was mediocre.

Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #80
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
The German accents in the entire film, they ranged from terrible to annoying.

Even fassbender's was mediocre.
You're German?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #81
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
The problem is, there really is no great way for those codenames to be quickly established in any scene. I thought it was a nice way to make the connection with being government "agents" and therefore, they should choose names for themselves..I thought it was also intentionally tongue in cheek and was meant to be mildly comedic anyway.
I thought in the previous X-movies they were going with a sorta Matrix-like approach to how they got their names. Basically, Magneto...Storm...Cyclops...Pyro...etc. being their mutant names that they choose for themselves(as opposed to the names homo sapiens gave them so that they can further distance themselves). Like in the Matrix, Thomas Anderson is not the name the main character answers to. He goes by Neo. The former being the name a machine controlled reality chose for him, which he rejects.

I have an inner child. Not an inner teenager.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #82
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I thought in the previous X-movies they were going with a sorta Matrix-like approach to how they got their names. Basically, Magneto...Storm...Cyclops...Pyro...etc. being their mutant names that they choose for themselves(as opposed to the names homo sapiens gave them so that they can further distance themselves). Like in the Matrix, Thomas Anderson is not the name the main character answers to. He goes by Neo. The former being the name a machine controlled reality chose for him, which he rejects.
Plus they were affectionately called X-Men by the students, not for being a new kind of G-men.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #83
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

That was most likely Magneto and his Brotherhood's philosophy, but I don't think it's the same for the X-Men.

Well, it's really a mixed situation...I mean, they called Jean and Scott mostly by their real names the entire time, but "Marie" definitely did 'take' her true name, Rogue, and I suppose Storm too. I don't even think they ever called Xavier, "Professor X" in the original movies too, but some of the names are obviously more like nicknames than codenames too..

Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #84
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I kind of assumed something like that too, especially with how Mystique said she doesn't respond to her slave name when referred to as Raven in X3. But that mentality also doesn't make much sense for the X-Men considering their whole purpose is not to distance themselves from humanity but integrate with it.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #85
Karelia
We Are Groot

Some of the shots of Beast didn't look too good. January Jones was kinda "meh" in this. I didn't dig the Angel character at all.

But that's it. Everything else I pretty much loved.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #86
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
I kind of assumed something like that too, especially with how Mystique said she doesn't respond to her slave name when referred to as Raven in X3. But that mentality also doesn't make much sense for the X-Men considering their whole purpose is not to distance themselves from humanity but integrate with it.
Well the X-Men still want to distinguish themselves as unashamed of being mutants. They're proud that they're mutants just as much as the Brotherhood.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #87
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
Plus they were affectionately called X-Men by the students, not for being a new kind of G-men.
I actually liked that as being the genesis of where the term X-Men came from. It makes sense.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #88
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
I definitely agree with the Angel complaints. They throw in the scene of the CIA men laughing at the kids maybe 10 minutes before she turns to join Shaw but it wasn't enough. Felt rushed for sure.

I felt the same way seeing the scene but my thinking is perhaps he couldn't control his powers long enough to move something to attack Shaw with. He wasn't familiar with his powers yet as we could see with him not being able to even move a coin with a gun on his mother.
that's not the point. The kid's reaction was totally unrealistic.

A man just killed your mother. You will most likely:
- rage and try to hit the guy (you know you probably won't hurt him but just like punching a wall it will let the frustration and anger out)
- you will surely not stay still as the murderer puts his arm around you ("you just killed my mother, get the F away from me")

-

c-saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #89
piccolo
Doom is watching you

The thing about the codenames is that, they just weren't really needed. Nobody had them, there was no precedent, it wasn't like they'd been reading superhero comic books either. They just randomly came up with codenames. And some of them I couldn't buy kids coming up with. Havok? A bunch of teenagers aren't going to call a guy who shoots fire bursts Havok...i'd believe Whamy-Kablamy man over that.

And yeah, glad you guys see my gripe with the Mags as a kid scene. Didn't even try to hurt him, then stood there while he did and said all that stuff. I'm sitting there like "you did just see this guy put your mother down like an animal, right?".

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #90
tedw
Come and get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Nobody had them, there was no precedent, it wasn't like they'd been reading superhero comic books either.
They're not trying to be superheros - Mystique (I believe) references that they need codenames now that they're working as CIA agents.

So I guess they should have been things like "Agent Summers" and "Agent McCoy", given Moira had no codename.

(Either way, this scene was still cheesy and way too shoehorned in to me.)

tedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #91
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Spoiler Re: Worst moments in 'X-men: First Class'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
You're German?

Yep, half. To be honest not the biggest gripe out there, but it just annoys me to see so many bad accents in films lol.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #92
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I liked the codenames scene, it seemed typical of teenagers and kids who thought it was all a bit of fun, and it established camaraderie. I'd have liked it to be longer, so we learned a little more, but it served its purpose and the banter and laughter and warmth was more than I've seen in other X-Men movies .

Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #93
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Yep, half. To be honest not the biggest gripe out there, but it just annoys me to see so many bad accents in films lol.
Well, Fassbender is also half-German. He lived there until he was aged two. His father is German.

I've spent a lot of time in Germany and I saw this film at the weekend with someone who is fluent in German, and neither of us had any issues with the accents.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #94
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Personally I liked the scene ^, sure was a bit cheesy, but they also probably never would have planned to go too in depth with it.

Considering Darwin dies quickly off and Angel defects... actually come to think of it, yea definetly could have been better.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #95
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well, Fassbender is also half-German. He lived there until he was aged two. His father is German.

I've spent a lot of time in Germany and I saw this film at the weekend with someone who is fluent in German, and neither of us had any issues with the accents.

Really? Not young Eric or his mom? I felt foth were terrible accents. (Esp considering they were from Düsseldorf) I knew fassbender was Scotch-German, but I still felt it was nuanced.

Anyways, like I said, not that big of a gripe, but still one for me

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #96
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Are we just accepting that Darwin's body can't adapt to energy? Didn't mind that he died, but thought it was stupid how...

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #97
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

the part where they didnt play the animated series theme
DANA-NANA-NAH-NA-NA DANA-NANA-NAH-NA-NA
DANA-NANA-NAH-NA-NA
DAH-NA

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #98
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Really? Not young Eric or his mom? I felt foth were terrible accents. (Esp considering they were from Düsseldorf) I knew fassbender was Scotch-German, but I still felt it was nuanced.

Anyways, like I said, not that big of a gripe, but still one for me
Fassbender is Irish-German, I'm told he speaks German fluently but I don't know that for a fact.

I'm not sure if he meant he was really from Dusseldorf, or if he just said that as a way of entering the conversation. In the comics he was originally said to be Polish, although the latest origin story has him as German but later fleeing to Poland.

The woman who played his mother was a Hungarian actress called Éva Magyar. The men who played the 'pig farmer' and 'tailor' in the bar are both German actors.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #99
Quetzal
Side-Kick

Interesting ^ .

Anyways, where'd you stay in Germany ?
===
Still I feel like young Eric and his mom had bad accents, and irregardless didnt like Fassbender's either.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #100
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

If its any consolation his spanish accent is really really spanish, as in Spain spanish, which would make sense due to the fact that he was in Europe most of the time, but would still turn a few heads in Argentina.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote