The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #101
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Default Re: Worst moments in 'X-men: First Class'

Isn't Erik Polish? He was in the Warsaw ghetto.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #102
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

We also might as well ask why Charles has a british accent.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #103
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I always thought that too. He even yelled in Polish to his parents in the opening to X1.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #104
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Are we just accepting that Darwin's body can't adapt to energy? Didn't mind that he died, but thought it was stupid how...
I'd love to hear how you'd kill him.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #105
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post

As I just said, not in the latest origin story.

In X-Men: Magneto Testament, he is from a German family who flee to Poland but are captured. That story also reveals his real name is Max Eisenhardt.

Prior to that, he was described as a Pole (and before that a Sinte gipsy). A magnetic Pole, if you will... I sense Claremont's play on words here.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 06-07-2011 at 06:55 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #106
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
I'd love to hear how you'd kill him.
I wouldn't.

And if I did, there'd be more thought put forth than ball-of-energy-in-mouth.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #107
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
I wouldn't.

And if I did, there'd be more thought put forth than ball-of-energy-in-mouth.
Agreed.

It's funny how they picked a guy whose power is to be essentially unkillable and killed him. They were just asking to make a poorly written death with that one.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #108
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

I'll imagine that Erik's parents were both German-born, but at some point before giving birth to Erik, moved to Poland and lived most of their lives there. He's taken by Shaw in 1944 (at this point, Erik would be fluent in German and Polish). Erik would be experimented on all throughout the period of the war up until after Erik turned 15 (I assume he was 14 in 1944). When the war ended, he spent most of his time migrating across Europe, receiving most of his adult education in the UK, specifically in northern Ireland and England. This would undoubtedly grant him a healthy blend of culture and inflections in his speech.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 06-07-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #109
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
It's funny how they picked a guy whose power is to be essentially unkillable and killed him..
OMG... That was the point!

Oh God, how is that so challenging to understand??

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #110
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
It's funny how they picked a guy whose power is to be essentially unkillable and killed him. They were just asking to make a poorly written death with that one.
So right, they could have picked any mutant able to make an armor so they could keep the Havok and Banshee hitting him with a chair joke, and then killed said mutant, but such a specific unkillable power, just a bad choice.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #111
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I'll imagine that Erik's parents were both German-born, but after giving birth to Erik, moved to Poland and lived most of their lives there. He's taken by Shaw in 1944 and he experimented on all throughout the period of the war up until after Erik turned 15 (I assume he was 14 in 1944). When the war ended, he spent most of his time migrating across Europe, receiving most of his adult education in the UK, specifically in northern Ireland and England.
That seems logical.

It's also fair to assume he escaped (his comic book origin story has him getting out in October 1944) or was freed when the camp was liberated in 1945.

At some point his attempts to trace the various Nazis from the camp led him to Geneva, where we saw him in 1962.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #112
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-saw View Post
that's not the point. The kid's reaction was totally unrealistic.

A man just killed your mother. You will most likely:
- rage and try to hit the guy (you know you probably won't hurt him but just like punching a wall it will let the frustration and anger out)
- you will surely not stay still as the murderer puts his arm around you ("you just killed my mother, get the F away from me")

Or maybe you stand there in shock over everything that just happened, including discovering the extent(up to that point)of your mutant powers.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #113
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
OMG... That was the point!

Oh God, how is that so challenging to understand??
The point was to make a poorly written death?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #114
psyonic
X-Man

To be honest, I don't like how they displayed Darwin's "death" .. the screen goes white .. did he explode? The same thing for Colonel Hendry's death .. the screen went white and it cut to another scene. It reminded me of Cyclops' death in X3.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #115
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
To be honest, I don't like how they displayed Darwin's "death" .. the screen goes white .. did he explode? The same thing for Colonel Hendry's death .. the screen went white and it cut to another scene. It reminded me of Cyclops' death in X3.
I agree, they should have shown the kids reacting to his death instead of the white screen.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #116
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Default Re: Wourse moments in 'X-men: First Class'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
One of the worst moments came right after my personal favorite. I'll use spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Xavier getting shot and how everything evolved from there. It was an horrible and unexpected moment; although we all knew it was coming, I guess nothing prepared us for the emotional impact of the scene. It was so brilliantly done: the moment when suddenly the missiles meant nothing to Erik while he rushed to his friend's side; missiles falling from the sky in an almost eerie silence, the jubilant crew on board, while we knew that a deep personal tragedy was affecting the mutants at that precise moment of happiness for humans. The heartfelt dialogues, the acting, characters making heartbreaking choices. Perfect.

And then...

Although I totally object to Mystique leaving Charles at that precise moment (I don't object the fact that she would eventually leave him), what really shocked me was both Erik and Raven leaving the severely wounded Charles behind. Why, he could very well be dying at that moment for all we know. But it came of as something like "Well, the convo is very good and all, but we gotta move our asses outta here. Good luck taking ol' Chuck to the nearest hospital 500 miles away when all you have are a broken Blackbird and a broken submarine. Lol, bye b******!" BAMF.

I was like "What the..."

But seriously, it bothered me a great deal. It wouldn't hurt to have Erik saying "I'll see that you take him out of here immediately" or something. Oh well. Thankfully what came before had such an emotional impact, but Erik and Raven deserting the wounded Charles left a bad taste in my mouth.
Totally agree. It was just so incoherent with the the characters they built up in the film. It was a great scene but that moment didn't work. Realistically real friends would stay there. The man just got SHOT for crying out loud
I was thinking the same...could they at least teleport him to a hospital? I also can understand Magneto leaving (He didn't know Xavier too long) but Mystique leaving at THAT moment was just a huge faux pas and wtf moment

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #117
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

they only halfway friends dont get it twisted

that was the first of many times charles would thwart erik's plan to harm mankind

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #118
JonRed99
X-Men: First Class

Probably when Darwin's death (?) turned into a fade to white. Way to leave something extremely ambiguous.

JonRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #119
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
I agree, they should have shown the kids reacting to his death instead of the white screen.
I agree. You'd also think Havok would spend some time dwelling on the fact Shaw used his powers to kill Darwin.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #120
piccolo
Doom is watching you

It sucked to see Charles get shot, but it sucked even more because we, as comic nerds, knew what it meant. And that it wasn't just him taking a bullet.

He started falling in slow motion and I was just sitting there thinking wow, this vibrant, charismatic guy is never going to stand up again after he hits the ground. ****.

It was nice to see Erik break out of his rampage and rush to his side though. Its easy to forget that these guys were such good friends once. And it was nice that even though Raven turned, she walked to Charles first before acknowledging Erik.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #121
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRed99 View Post
Probably when Darwin's death (?) turned into a fade to white. Way to leave something extremely ambiguous.
I know right, in the comics when he was getting a beating from Hulk, his power simply teleported him away. It makes me wonder if he is dead or not because his power is to "adapt to survive", which is ridiculous to have him die

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #122
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Sure he was. He was staring right at them with rage in his eyes while their helmets crushed their heads.
Doesn't matter how he was looking at them. If he had been in control of himself he probably wouldnt've crumpled the bell and filing cabinets and destroyed the lab. He was just angry and having a meltdown.

Quote:
And killing german soldiers wouldn't?

Shaw shot her right in front of him. Least he could have done is tried. Not like he was thinking rationally at the time. Unless your position is that as he was crushing the soldiers skulls he was thinking "better only kill these two or i'll get in trouble".
Like I said, he didn't kill them on purpose. He would've known that attacking Shaw would only make things worse. He'd been captured by Nazis, he's probably seen horrible things done to prisoners for much less.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #123
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Or maybe you stand there in shock over everything that just happened, including discovering the extent(up to that point)of your mutant powers.
This too.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #124
Fanticon
Sneaky-Snake!

i agree with just about everything in here. i really had gripes with certain moments, my friend is currently going back and forth with me saying i'm just nitpicking but i think you've all validated my complaints and when you add 'em all up it doesn't make this a horrible movie it just didn't make it a great one.

Fanticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #125
JonRed99
X-Men: First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I know right, in the comics when he was getting a beating from Hulk, his power simply teleported him away. It makes me wonder if he is dead or not because his power is to "adapt to survive", which is ridiculous to have him die
I also don't see why Darwin was able to be fed energy. I understand that Shaw is strong, but Darwin didn't even try to avoid him. Speaking of Darwin, do we know his real name?

JonRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote