The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Did anyone else almost cry and the mystique and eric scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The scenes that had me tearing up were Xavier and Erik as Xavier tried to get Erik to move the satellite dish, and in the process, tapping into Erik's memory of his mother.
Same here, I think anyone that has lost their mother was moved by that scene. Powerful stuff that had me a bit choked up.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
JP
Smelly

The "cosmetic problem" line fit in with everything that came before it. Even in the beginning when she asked him if he would date her blue. He just stumbled all over his words before changing the subject.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #28
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

He simply wouldn't date her, blue or not blue.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #29
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
The "cosmetic problem" line fit in with everything that came before it. Even in the beginning when she asked him if he would date her blue. He just stumbled all over his words before changing the subject.
Yup. "Cosmetic problem" is all it was in Xavier's mind, but it was more than that to her.

Even tho I wasnt a fan of Mystique and Charles being so close, it was handled VERY well.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #30
littyx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Charles never "condemned" her natural form, Hank did. As you must certainly remember, there was an early scene with Raven in her blue form, brushing her teeth while talking to Charles and then lying next to him.

The "cosmetic problem" line bothered me a bit, because it seemed so out of character for Charles. He had accepted Raven for what she was since they were kids, but maybe worried too much about her real appearence in public. I can't say he was wrong; he just thought it was possible for her to live a "normal" life among humans. But he was somehow wrong when it came to her own desires and expectations. It's much more complex than Xavier simply "not accepting" her.

So no, that scene with Erik didn't make me tear up at all. Now the final Charles/Erik moments...powerful stuff.
The scenes where Charles asks Mystique to, in essence, look and act normal really hit home for me. Erik and Mystique truly hit it off because Erik told her she was beautiful just being her natural self. Anyone that says they are supportive of your lifestyle, but you should still hide it, is a creep. So yes, Charles IS in fact asking Mystique to not be herself because there is a sense of embarrassment. Trust me, as a gay man, I have come into contact with multiple people who pretend to be supportive, unless you act as your true self. It's hypocritical. It obviously hurt Mystique enough to leave her own "brother".

*Enter oppressed community of your choice here.
littyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #31
JP
Smelly

Yep, and honestly it's not out of character. Xavier has always been a jerk in the comics. I think First Class and The Last Stand do an excellent job of showing that side of Charles. The "not always in the right" side.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #32
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Charles Xavier isn't a creep. At least not in First Class.
I think it's interesting that he said he would never read her mind. He failed in "reading" and understanding her, and even admitted it at the end. It doesn't make him a creep.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Yep, and honestly it's not out of character. Xavier has always been a jerk in the comics.
Yup, he's a jerk. Only Magneto is perfect.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #34
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Charles Xavier isn't a creep. At least not in First Class.
I think it's interesting that he said he would never read her mind. He failed in "reading" and understanding her, and even admitted it at the end. It doesn't make him a creep.
He's not a creep, but he is an insensitive ass hat (in the comics). X3 showed us that side of him, and First Class merely touched upon it. It's always been Xavier's character flaw.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #35
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Yup, he's a jerk. Only Magneto is perfect.
What does Magneto have to do with anything?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #36
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

The thing with Charles, is that he could see the pain in other people when he read their minds, but he never actually lived it. He didn't have to worry about living life covered in blue scales, he never had to watch his mother shot by a Nazi because he couldn't make his powers work. He didn't understand what these things felt like as well as he thought he did, and even though his intentions are good, he'll never know exactly what they were going through.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #37
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Yep, and honestly it's not out of character. Xavier has always been a jerk in the comics. I think First Class and The Last Stand do an excellent job of showing that side of Charles. The "not always in the right" side.
Yup. And I thought that Xavier's actions in X-Men: First Class fit in perfectly with his attitude in X-Men: The Last Stand, just like you said. X-Men and X2 portray him as almost "saintly" (McAvoy's words from one of his interviews), but X-Men: The Last Stand, he's kind of a prick, the way he handles the Jean Grey situation.

X-Men: First Class shows us that while yes, he certainly has the right idea, he is flawed in how he handles it. It's arguable that he constantly misuses his power in the movie, constantly reading people's minds, controlling their actions, or erasing their memories (he erased memories twice in First Class). He is not perfect.

It plays into the Erik & Charles dynamic so brilliantly.

Erik is consumed by rage, and goes about his overall goal in the wrong way, but do to the experiences he's been through in life, you can't help but sympathize with him. Xavier, on the other hand, has a very noble goal in mind, and his message is pure, but his methods of going about it can be very naive and questionable - in X-Men: First Class wanting Mystique to "hide" to fit in, and in X-Men: The Last Stand the revelation that he tampered with Jean Grey's mind to limit her powers and "protect" her.

The layers to this relationship are just incredible as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
Timstuff
Banned User

I was a lot more emotional for the scene where Erik moves the satellite dish.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #39
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The thing with Charles, is that he could see the pain in other people when he read their minds, but he never actually lived it. He didn't have to worry about living life covered in blue scales, he never had to watch his mother shot by a Nazi because he couldn't make his powers work. He didn't understand what these things felt like as well as he thought he did, and even though his intentions are good, he'll never know exactly what they were going through.
I don't know. Charles had some pain in his life, at least from what I got from McAvoy's interview. He said that he had been pratically abandoned by his parents, that they didn't care about him at all. Maybe it was something from the early script that never came through, because Vaughn was never interested in developing Charles Xavier in the first place.

It's a different kind of pain, of course, but it was still there. Unfortunately it didn't add to much character development, and in the film it seemed that Charles was just a privileged kid who has had it all - as if having loads of money will simply solve anything. Erik was the only one allowed to have a painful past.

I think that Charles having this "abandonament issues" would explain why he fiercely wanted to protect and shelter Raven, and later Erik. Maybe it was more about him than about them. But this hardly makes him a creep.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Yup. And I thought that Xavier's actions in X-Men: First Class fit in perfectly with his attitude in X-Men: The Last Stand, just like you said. X-Men and X2 portray him as almost "saintly" (McAvoy's words from one of his interviews), but X-Men: The Last Stand, he's kind of a prick, the way he handles the Jean Grey situation.

X-Men: First Class shows us that while yes, he certainly has the right idea, he is flawed in how he handles it. It's arguable that he constantly misuses his power in the movie, constantly reading people's minds, controlling their actions, or erasing their memories (he erased memories twice in First Class). He is not perfect.

It plays into the Erik & Charles dynamic so brilliantly.

Erik is consumed by rage, and goes about his overall goal in the wrong way, but do to the experiences he's been through in life, you can't help but sympathize with him. Xavier, on the other hand, has a very noble goal in mind, and his message is pure, but his methods of going about it can be very naive and questionable - in X-Men: First Class wanting Mystique to "hide" to fit in, and in X-Men: The Last Stand the revelation that he tampered with Jean Grey's mind to limit her powers and "protect" her.

The layers to this relationship are just incredible as far as I'm concerned.
Couldn't agree more. Honestly, it's what makes Xavier interesting.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #41
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
I was a lot more emotional for the scene where Erik moves the satellite dish.
I went to see the movie for viewing #3 last night, and I *did* tear up for this scene. And I teared up for it the first time I saw it for the midnight showing as well.

That scene may be one of the most emotionally powerful moments of the entire series.

It was one of those moments where - I love these characters SOOO much, and I have SUCH an emotional investment in these characters. Magneto especially is one of my all time favorite fictional characters because of how 3 dimensional he truly is. He's a villain, but you can't help but feel for him because of everything he's been through.

In that moment, Xavier taps into a moment of true humanity for Erik. And him moving the satellite dish, to me, was so much more than just a visual display of power. It was a moment of triumph for Erik. For all the pain that Erik had endured in his life, and his sense of triumph in that one moment. It was very powerful.

Follow that up, with Hank's moment with Raven, wanting her to take the cure with him, his realization that he will never be truly accepted for what he is, and her finally coming into her own and finally feeling that sense of "this is who I am" ... "Mutant and proud" may have come off as cheesy to some, but it really meant something to me. Then you have Hank's devolution into Beast, and again his moment with Raven where she says that's who he was meant to be...

I may have to reconsider my position of X-Men being the installment with the most emotional depth.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #42
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

One of the most emotional scenes for me was when Erik had to witness his mom getting shot as a result of his inability to move the coin the first time, along with how she kept telling him that it was going to be alright, when you know that just by looking at her and hearing her voice shake that it wasn't going to be.

A lot of people gasped in my theater when that scene first happened; and you just can't help but feel sorry for Magneto as you can't help but realize that it was because of this traumatic event that started the chain reaction that led to the birth of Magneto.

Plus, I thought the tension and just emotion from that scene was better drawn and acted out than the scene where Bruce Lost his parents in BB.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I didn't cry

I cried watching Toy Story 3

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #44
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

Not much to say about this scene really, I thought it was all cool but I didn't cry...I was much closer to tears towards the end of the movie with James' very well delivered 'I can't feel my legs' line. Jaw-dropping.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #45
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire1996 View Post
Not much to say about this scene really, I thought it was all cool but I didn't cry...I was much closer to tears towards the end of the movie with James' very well delivered 'I can't feel my legs' line. Jaw-dropping.
Yeah it was so emotional because James McAvoy was so good in it!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #46
Silvermoth
Avenger

I agree about the "I can't feel my legs" line. Knowing what that means and the sorrow in his voice, it made me feel very sorry for him.

To think I remember seeing James McAvoy on Shameless before he was well know. Even then, I knew he would be popular one day

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #47
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

He is a good actor!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #48
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

It was a good scene, but I think it could have been a little more heartfelt on all the characters' ends. McAvoy could have shown more agony and sorry, and the other characters just stood around not doing anything. Not a deal breaker for me, but could have had more drama.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #49
Tlord12
New User - Level 0

I almost cried because it was so touching. You could see that despite it all Mystique was still conflicted between charles and erik. It was him who told her to go in the end. Still the big brother to her..Throughout movie u could see that relationship. I personally think he wanted her to look and act 'human' in public becuase he didnt want her ridiculed..or "outed" people can be. He had best of intentions but went about in a way that didnt take into consideration mystique's feelings. Even in the scene with the 'cure' he seemed to be cool with it becuase he believed it was wanted she wanted. So their relationship was very complicated..

Tlord12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #50
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

^ This

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote