The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #51
Nathan

Default Re: Overstrike

It's a name change and also part of the game. Apparently Fuse is going to be some type of Alien energy, that work your main weapons and have different effects.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #52
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

And apparently Overstrike is the name of the squad.
I prefer this name.

Jick09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
Resistance61513
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
What is Fuse? This is the first Im hearing of this thing. Overstrike got cancelled internally and Fuse is taking its place? Fuse is merely a name change? Whats the deal
Fuse is Overstrike.

Like Nathan said, it's just a name change. When Insomniac was first designing Overstrike, there was always this underlying story. Originally, if I interpreted this properly, Overstrike was a game about four Operatives going on suicide missions that the government couldn't execute because of restrictions. When Insomniac was doing the story for Overstrike, there was this subtle sub story about a weapon of mass destruction.

Insomniac was really intrigued by this and decided to focus mainly on that story. This is where Fuse comes into play. As Nathan said, Fuse is a substance of extraterrestrial origin. You can get a little bit of the back story from sources like IGN and others. However, they aren't really describing the story to it's fullest potential.

There is a shadow agency called Raven that breaks into the compound holding Fuse. They plan on using it for personal gain, obviously, and tapping into it's vast potential. Anyone who controls Fuse pretty much can obtain world domination.

The government, as seen in the briefing video posted last week, contacts Overstrike 9 to obtain the weapon back. That is the very first mission briefing the player is introduced before playing the compound level. Here, all of the Overstrike agents find various weapons that were being developed with Fuse technology.

Hopefully that answered your questions a little. Overstrike was never cancelled and the tonal change was for the better of the game. With a teen rating, Ted Price said the team was limited creatively. They wouldn't have been able to execute these beautiful game play mechanics. I for one feel Fuse features one of the best weapon arsenals to come out of Insomniac's studio.

And they are designed with cooperative play in mind. So they all compliment one another beautifully. It definitely adds to the experience!

I agree, Jick. I too preferred the name Overstrike over Fuse.

Resistance61513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #54
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance61513 View Post
Overstrike was never cancelled and the tonal change was for the better of the game. With a teen rating, Ted Price said the team was limited creatively. They wouldn't have been able to execute these beautiful game play mechanics. I for one feel Fuse features one of the best weapon arsenals to come out of Insomniac's studio.
The game could still have been quirky, over the top and fun, with an M rating, that allows them to do all the really crazy stuff. Borderlands being the best example. This can very well be a great game, but the tone in the first Trailer was the one thing I was looking forward to the most.

Maybe there's still some fun element left, that didn't come across in the Demo. If there isn't though, it's going to be really hard for me to care about the game. There are enough serious and violent games out there, I want something different.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #55
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The game could still have been quirky, over the top and fun, with an M rating, that allows them to do all the really crazy stuff. Borderlands being the best example. This can very well be a great game, but the tone in the first Trailer was the one thing I was looking forward to the most.

Maybe there's still some fun element left, that didn't come across in the Demo. If there isn't though, it's going to be really hard for me to care about the game. There are enough serious and violent games out there, I want something different.
Bulletstorm is another example

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #56
SnarkyLeigh
Snarking All Night Long

I really wanted Overstrike/Fuse to be about the humor and absurdity. Now that I'm hearing that it's going to be grittier and like a lot of other action games I just can't get into it. I'm disappointed now!

SnarkyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #57
zenith16
Side-Kick

ok I think I have like two questions. I was hoping this game was going to be more of the actual secret agent deal with james bond/ mission impossible style gadgets, But in the more wacky humor sense. With this new change it seem's their more like "military" guys (there's way too much of that as it is sorry to say). and it's hard to call them actual agents.

Is there any chance you saw any thing that shows this isn't just another military shooter using the words agents in it ? Any "under "cover" missions that you can have your fave character from the four/ each team member do with the others supporting you in the field?

I know they took out the stealth elements which is very disappointing. But those two other elements might sedate my need for that.

And I don't mind 3rd person shooters. but of late I've been feeling the craving that they need have to something other that as a hook to them, besides that, like adding in martial art's or what I suggested up top with actual gadgets (that are weapons but as usueful to the mission) to set them selves apart from other shooters. Other wise I might look the other way.

I hope I'm not asking too much with that latter question, on the "under cover "elements. I know they only showed you all so much and it might be too early to say.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-13-2012 at 03:42 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #58
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Nowhere in any of the previews does it say this game is no longer funny. It can still be funny and charming and irreverently stylish without being cartoonish

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #59
zenith16
Side-Kick

I wasn't overly dumping on them about the humor.(Heck I wasn't at all) As I said on other posts before my last one here, "I'm waiting to see if what if any of it still there."

It's obvious it's might have changed to something more dark in nature though, If it's indeed still there that is. If it's taking that latter part it'll be hard to set it a part even more for some others. ( I'll be fine) that were formerly into this game before it being changed from it's former presentation.

That was what made it stand out and set it apart of that kind of genre. Their all seeing to much of that version from what their saying. I kinda see what their getting at too.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-13-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #60
Soapy
It's happening again...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #61
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Still looks pretty bad ass to me.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #62
zenith16
Side-Kick

hmm not bad. there's still attitude. But i kinda miss the other one still for some reason . oh well.

7 minute to gt's show on it. I hope there will be some elements of what i asked last night game play wise to change thing's up and approach mission's in different other ways then just running all the time shooting a place up all the time. Not that there's any thing wrong with that. But this is supposed to be the spy world ( former with a special spin to it) and it's nice to see some other elements besides the one they let drop(stealth) be it lite touch's or not.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #63
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

You can't compare a CGI character based trailer with dialogue to a gameplay premiere trailer when trying to assess a games level of humour, characterisation or story. Of course the first trailer was more appealing, it was meant to draw you into the concept and the world of it.

This trailer was showing off features.

And Zenith, I've seen you mention this 'spy' stuff a few times now. Where did you get the impression this game was about 'spies'? Where did they say it was going to be that type of game? I never got that impression from the first trailer, it always spoke crazy, all out action to me... The giant, robot dinosaur/bald guy gave you more of an action vibe?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #64
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Watching GameTrailers on Spike now. It looks pretty fun, much different than games of this genre.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #65
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
You can't compare a CGI character based trailer with dialogue to a gameplay premiere trailer when trying to assess a games level of humour, characterisation or story. Of course the first trailer was more appealing, it was meant to draw you into the concept and the world of it.

This trailer was showing off features.

And Zenith, I've seen you mention this 'spy' stuff a few times now. Where did you get the impression this game was about 'spies'? Where did they say it was going to be that type of game? I never got that impression from the first trailer, it always spoke crazy, all out action to me... The giant, robot dinosaur/bald guy gave you more of an action vibe?
lol they've been pushing over strike as "agent's" called by the CIA ETC since the start by all the news and that's what Insomnica told them all.
it was in there first trailer with the psyche evaluation with their team lead game character and his team coming from all walks of life(which usually more appealing then some person with a military background, to the public. look at Leon from RE series for example) as being picked up and turned into agents ( it's very mission impossible there. And I mean the "old school one" before tom cruse earlier part in the movies series ) and was told G4 and they had the pr/ dev tell the this on AOTS during that time at E3 in site down.

Quote:
Fuse is based around the 4-player co-op of the Overstrike 9 team. The special forces unit is called in by the CIA to stop a group known as Raven from stealing a powerful alien energy called Fuse which powers the game's weapons.
from here
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/fu...r-of-fuse.aspx

Any way I'm watching it right now as we speak. Same as terry.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-14-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #66
zenith16
Side-Kick

Now that GT's show is over. It seems decent. I hope they really do add more to it like I hope with what I asked.
example this

Quote:
The Agency

E3 09: Walkthrough Part II

Part II of the walkthrough given at E3
The Agency

E3 2008: Developer Walkthrough Pt. 1

Be a spy in the only MMO that offers Q-Bert!

The Agency

The Agency Dev Walkthrough

The Agency Dev Walkthrough
Views: 1,102 | Posted: 01/04/2009

The Agency

The Agency Live Wire Interview

Jessica Chobot talks with the developer on the Agency

The first one up top in the quote, that's what i mean by "lite elements" it doen't have to be complicated. the other two videos that fallow it also show it doesn't have to be heavy handed team wise with their mini stealth.

And you and your team members(other players ) in the former video each doing under cover missions and supporting each other in the field(An MMO I know but they had the right Idea and they worked for sony as well.) It's just an example .

Just to set it apart from others in the 3rd person shooters/action arena . Cause there's too many with in it and all look military as it is and they are pushing them(over strike 9) as something other then that.

Anyway that's who they need to hire since
had trouble with their "original element of stealth. for the entire team." they worked for the same publisher these people shouldn't be hard to find.

seeing they had the same idea's and were able to nearly fallowed through http://g4tv.com/videos/39151/The-Agency-E3-2009-Interview/?quality=hd til some head at sony made them change direction as wellin art and humor and due to that the ip was cancelled cause of the same type of change art and Minor change in personality wise for the game that we're seeing in over strike.

but that's want needed though. (and I don't mean the art style)

Any way If they don't, it's cool. It'll still be fun. But i'm afraid "it might" be looked over(eaten alive more likely review wise and other gamers that'll just write off as generic still) due to that(not setting it's self apart enough) . And that's only technically
specking.

Anyways here's the actual video of fuse
  • GT Original

GTTV Watch Now!
    Fuse on GTTV

GTTV uncovers the declassified secrets of Fuse in a blow-out gameplay premiere of Insomniac Games’ next big franchise.

source:GT

Last edited by zenith16; 09-14-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #67
Nathan

Gameplay looks good. But I still hate the generic visuals. And judging from the youtube ratings, I don't seem to be in a minority. I really wish they would have kept the old visuals.

If the world can have an M rated game with a cuddly Squirrel, there's no reason why Fuse (****ty name) couldn't have been an M rated with a Pixar flair. And I still need to see if the humor survived.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #68
zenith16
Side-Kick

yeah I expected after watching GT's show on it most people would feel it's generic both in look and game play which i didn't want to see happen. But it is happening . The reviews will be the final nail in the coffin unless they show you can do other things game play wise besides it just being shoot em up now . that will be the only thing that will save it from that. Other wise expect to hear the words generic often from others besides reviewers and I won't use it. But don't be surprised to see it.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-14-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #69
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

There were no 'old visuals', it was still a CGI trailer. For all we know the actual gameplay graphics terrible in toon form or were never meant to in the first place. The first trailer conveyed a tone that could very much still be intact

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #70
zenith16
Side-Kick

Well from what was just shown on GT "Game play" isn't helping ether as you can see. people are calling it just that ( generic) there too. And that's not just a trailer in that one. As i just said don't be surprised with the words "generic" showing up there in the comments. Though it'll be funny to see you tear into them for that.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-14-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #71
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
For all we know the actual gameplay graphics terrible in toon form or were never meant to in the first place.
Then you don't make a Trailer in Toon form and get everyone excited in the first place. And from what I read, the cartoony visuals were in place, until they decided they could only up the violence if they went with another visual style. Which is why Fuse now, just from the visuals alone, looks like any other run of the mill shooter game.

Quote:
The first trailer conveyed a tone that could very much still be intact
That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The humor is not dead, but won't be what the Trailer conveyed.

Quote:
"I will say that a lot of us are happier with where the characters have gone in terms of their backstories and the humor, because the humor is less campy than we had originally. Now we have humor that's more sophisticated, it's drier."

Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #72
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Wow this game went from looking amazing to looking crap. Thanks for another bang up job EA.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #73
Nathan

It's probably unrealistic to hope that Insomniac realizes that they've made a mistake and return to the old Overstrike style. I went back to watch the E3 reveal Trailer on Youtube and the ratings are 1.430 likes and measly 38 dislikes.

Now compare that to the new Fuse Trailer Soapy posted, which has 367 likes and 625 dislikes.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #74
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fuse

Wow, looks extremely generic compared to the first, Pixar-ish trailer

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #75
Nathan

Know what the old Overstrike trailer reminds me of? I can't believe I never thought of that, until I saw someone mention it on youtube, the Timesplitters series. I could have totally seen Overstrike being very similar to it and I would have loved Insomniac for it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Nathan; 09-14-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote