The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #101
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: WiiU

The problem isn't that it only comes with one controller, it's that the system can only support the use of one controller at a time. At the moment at least.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #102
Ipodman
Love Tension

You can only use one WiiU controller per console The other people are all using the old Wii remote

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #103
Benstamania
Shot first.

Yeah, I know. I still don't see a problem there either. The name says it all... "WiiU" not "WiiU... And Ur Friends."

Couch co-op... at least for me, is a thing of the past... and I don't really care about anything Super Smash related.. so...

Revelation 22:20
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #104
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

You don't care about Smash Brothers, but millions do. In fact Nin's 1st party games like SSB and Mario Kart are what will set it apart from the other systems (software wise). The Wii was a big hit with the casuals because it was great for the family to play ie. party games and shovelware. How is Nin going to sell them on WiiU if they can't use the main selling point of the system for these games? One could say that the HC crowd has no reason to get the system, because they already have a system that caters to them (PS3 and 360) and they also alienate the casual crowd with the limitations of their new controller. It's a really big issue that will affect the sell of their system if it doesn't get fixed.

IIII
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #105
Benstamania
Shot first.

Eh, they throw in an extra controller... cost will rise... people will complain about that. It's a never ending cycle of never being able to please people.

Yes, I know millions care about Smash Bros. I have no idea why, lol. It feels like the same game every new edition.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #106
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

I just think they are making some mistakes right from the start. The system is a year too late IMO. Also, everything we have been shown has been more or less a "proof of concept" if you think about it. No DVD or BR playback will be a minus to consumers even if Nin's reasoning makes sense. The support for only one WiiU controller per system will be a minus as well if they don't fix it. It's still early, but it will be a hard sell for me. Not sure I could justify buying it since I already have a PS360. Time will tell I suppose.

IIII

Last edited by KALEL114; 06-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #107
Benstamania
Shot first.

I highly doubt I buy one, at least until that must have 3rd party exclusive is announced. It's still WAAAAAY to early to judge. I doubt this thing is even launched next year, I expect a delay.

If I can get the Vita and pretty much do the same thing on my PS3... Why not?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #108
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post
I just think they are making some mistakes right from the start. The system is a year too late IMO.
How is 5.5 months between the Wii and WiiU too late?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #109
:eek:
Side-Kick

While Nintendo is, as usual, keeping much of Wii U's hardware specs under wraps, a new report from Japan claims to have more specific details on the new console's graphics chip.
According to Japanese site Game Impress Watch (via Develop), an 'AMD insider' has revealed that the Wii U GPU is powered by a new version of the Radeon R770 GPU.

The report claims that AMD is creating a custom version of the R770 chips that surfaced in PC GPUs in 2009. Even more interesting is the claim that Wii U will support Direct X 10.1, higher than the DX9 capabilities of Xbox 360 and suggesting a considerably more capable machine than those available today.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said that now it's announced plans to release a HD system many large third-party publishers are showing "great interest" in what it has to offer, and this will attract key franchises, first-person shooter in particular, that the Wii did not.

It has already been officially confirmed that AMD will supply the Wii U's GPU. Exact specs may never be released by Nintendo.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #110
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
How is 5.5 months between the Wii and WiiU too late?
It's all about momentum. Wii sales started to decline early last year/late '09. Releasing last year or even this year (holidays) would have been more ideal IMO.

IIII

Last edited by KALEL114; 06-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #111
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

4.5 years between consoles is far too short. Companies can't afford to release them at such short intervals.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #112
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
I highly doubt I buy one, at least until that must have 3rd party exclusive is announced. It's still WAAAAAY to early to judge. I doubt this thing is even launched next year, I expect a delay.

If I can get the Vita and pretty much do the same thing on my PS3... Why not?
Do they ever? The last one I can think of is Goldeneye.

EDIT: There's also Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #113
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Nintendo doesn't need to worry about having a 3rd party killer app. Sony and MS would kill to have even half of their first party franchises.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #114
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

3rd Party exclusives barely exist now-a-days anyway. Games are too expensive to make to limit the audience that much.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #115
jacobed
Banned User

There was an article on giantbomb i believe about how there were some 3rd party games going to be made available for the wii u at e3 but nintendo thought they looked exactly like the 360 and ps3 so they cancelled the showings

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #116
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

"PiiU - This console sure stinks!"

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #117
Ipodman
Love Tension

I'm surprised they didn't somehow incorporate 3D into this...

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #118
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

^Far from it.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #119
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbinder 09 View Post
So what's up with this new controller? It looks uncomfortable and wouldnt it be distracting if you have to look down to see whatever info its showing on its screen? Seems like a gimmick to me.
Quote:
E3 2011: Playing the Wii U
Nintendo's new console is here, and we've played it.
June 7, 2011 June 7, 2011 June 7, 2011
by Richard George

EVENT COVERAGE
E3 2011

It's the dawn of a new Nintendo generation. After five years of pursuing a "blue ocean strategy," the Big N is shifting to a new console, one that rivals (and potentially exceeds) consoles currently in stores. After months of having IGN's Nintendo team tracking down sources and bringing you a comprehensive picture of Wii's successor, I've finally had the chance to use the new controller and play demos on the system.

In short, Nintendo's gamble works. The controller is the best of both worlds, mixing traditional button inputs with the advantage of having an interface unlike anything we've seen from a home console.

THE CONTROLLER BASICS

What we've been reporting and suspected is true. The primary controller for Nintendo's next console is tablet based, featuring a 6.2 inch touch screen. This new device also features a very standard array of buttons, including a d-pad, four face buttons, four shoulder triggers, a power button and a camera.

One of the more interesting alterations to conventional design is the system features two analog sliders at the top of the controller rather than traditional sticks. Don't make the mistake of thinking these sliders are like the 3DS "circle pad." The texture and top shape of the sliders are much more akin to Wii's nunchuk, meaning the grip and precision of movement are much better.

The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier. A staggered configuration would only have worked with a much smaller design. Nintendo was also smart in making the new controller extremely light for its size, resulting in something that might look strange but is not as burdensome as it would seem.

The other major design element is a horizontal "grip" that runs underneath the tablet. The grip, however, is mostly there to house two of the system's triggers, with the remaining two being on the shoulder of the main body of the device.

More important is the fact that the new console is backwards compatible with Wii controllers. Nintendo's demos suggested it is very intent on utilizing its current generation remotes - without alteration - alongside the new tablet. In fact while the number of Wii remotes changed between mini-games, I only ever used one tablet controller.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html
Hands-On: With Wii Uís Touchscreen Controller, Nintendo Could Radically Change Games
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/0...ller-hands-on/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #120
Ipodman
Love Tension

But only 1 wiiU controller per console? So the other 3 (or however many) people wont have the private map or whatever

Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #121
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, that's the issue I have with the setup. One person would have an advantage in some games if this continues to be the case. Not to mention it defeats the main highlight from their E3 presentation (letting someone watch regular TV while you continue playing your game on the controller) if you are playing a MP or even just a 2 player game. They still have a year to work the kinks out, but they have not given me much confidence with their statements so far.

IIII

Last edited by KALEL114; 06-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #122
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Yeah, they need to figure that out.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #123
CrazyKnuckles
Side-Kick

May be kind of late to reply, but I loved Nintendo's E3 Upfront this year. I'm deffinantly determined to get a 3DS now, and am cautiously optimistic about the WiiU.

But then again I've always enjoyed & agreed with Nintendo's philosophy of gaming, that video games should be creative and fun. I myself don't care much for most modern series, I like all the oldies I grew up with like Kirby, Link, Mario, Megaman, Starfox, Sonic, etc. If Nintendo systems can give me fun games with those characters, I'll stick with em.

But again I'm bias as Nintendo Fanboy (love sony too though since their systems give me my JRPG Goodness)

Anywho guess I'm rambling. But yeah thought Nintendo had the best upfront this year. Sony was silver medal worthy... and microsoft...well....they tried.

Back on Topic..looking foward to more info about the WiiU as the year goes on.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #124
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Um, I'm interested in seeing footage, but this is not a sleek looking system. That is the most archaic looking pad technology ever, haha.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #125
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
"PiiU - This console sure stinks!"
Funny.