The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Should X-Men: First Class have been a Reboot ENTIRELY?
Yes; time to start with a completely fresh slate 46 60.53%
No; it SHOULD be connected to the past films in some way 29 38.16%
Other/I Don't Know 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #76
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Should X-Men: First Class have been a Reboot ENTIRELY?

I hate that most of the people voted for "Yes; time to start with a completely fresh slate". Jeez do you know how many years did Fox spend making those 4 X-Men films? Thats like 12 years or more.

Reboot is not the solution. FOX should only reboot the X-Men movies once they already released X-Men 9!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #77
Moj1986
Side-Kick

I definately think First Class should have been the start of a new X-Men series of films. It's not that I hated the previous films at all, but I did find myself sat in the cinema thinking this could be so much better. I think the reason for this is that it's trying to be a film of its own as well as an inclusion of the already recognisable X-Men movie franchise (and that this was sometimes confused). There were some great scenes that I thought made both ProfX and Magneto seem so much more interesting than previous films would allow, and also provided much more insight into their relationship...however I felt this hadn't really been given enough time before the final act. This sort of left me thinking could more have been done to depict how the pair had developed the brotherly bond, and this could include more of the vengeful Erik and the more fun loving Charles. I think the motivation for Charles to take on mutants as students and help them should have been with Erik being his first project (and actually being someone who he helps to develop/control his abilities but ultimately fails with..something Charles wouldn't be used to and providing motivation to not fail any other mutants..and a reason he'd never take down Magneto). I think that using less mutants would have provided more time for this and less of the pointless light hearted moments/special effects moments. I think the real life comparisons that can be drawn from the X-men story, particularly that of the origin of ProfX & Magneto and ultimately the development of the X-Men team could be much darker..perhaps something with similar tones of inception..which was dark and serious but allowed for laughs (and also contained lots of characters)

Moj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #78
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I hate that most of the people voted for "Yes; time to start with a completely fresh slate". Jeez do you know how many years did Fox spend making those 4 X-Men films? Thats like 12 years or more.

Reboot is not the solution. FOX should only reboot the X-Men movies once they already released X-Men 9!
So Fox spent a lot of time on these films, but we should wait until they have spent more time to reboot? I don't get it.

And most film series start needing a reboot after the fourth film.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #79
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

I want to see sequels to First Class that are not restricted by the continuity or lack there of from the original movies. Would be more interesting if Vaughn and company are set loose to use any characters or plots they want without being confined to what happens in the future to Charles and Erik. I feel they were already straddling that line as it was in First Class.

WeasleyIsRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #80
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Psylocke was in The Last Stand? I don't remember her.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #81
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
So Fox spent a lot of time on these films, but we should wait until they have spent more time to reboot? I don't get it.

And most film series start needing a reboot after the fourth film.
I don't either. Films shouldn't have to follow the continuity of the films before them, and this was a soft reboot insofar as it had a new cast, new feel, new villains and a storyline that didn't fit well into the old series (without a heaping helping of fanwank). Once you have a new director and cast there is no reason to pigeonhole yourself by forcing it into the old continuity. People say it referenced the old films, but so what? Lou Ferrigno shows up in Hulk movies, there is nothing to say that Jackman can't or won't return, or that previous characters are "off limits".

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #82
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Psylocke was in The Last Stand? I don't remember her.

It's the one with the weird hair... I'm kidding, the one with the weird purple hair. I think she even had a line.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #83
Lord
All Mighty

This should only be rebooted when Marvel Studios gets the rights back.
Until then let me enjoy Syngers version.
I like it the way it is right now, with First Class we know what'ss going to happen in the future but still the writers can take certain liberties with the story and change some events like Erik and Charles having met when they were 18.
This is a Prequel/Reboot and i like it this way.

Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #84
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If they rebooted they would have to axe both The Wolverine and X-Men Originseadpool.Not only should Bryan Singer leave but all the producers as well.

And I hate to tell me this but a reboot would not mean the entire original lineupe would
In It.Hell they might not even have Jean In It.They might just use Emma Frost as telepath and love Intrest for Cyclops.Wolverine would be In It.Like X-Men It would be combing characters from Different lineups.

In The Avengers both Ant-Man and Wasp aren't In It.And Instead of being earth's mightest heroes they are group brought together by Shield like the Ultimates(Although by end of film there Is a chance of becoming a true super hero team and not a Shield Unit and by the way the Idea of Shield forming the avengers first appeared In Heroes
Reborn.A fact many forget) so a Marvel Studios X-Men film if they ever get the rights and they actully cared to make doing X_Men a priority(So far no non Avengers project IS even close to becoming a reality.And after 4 years we are no closer to Ant-Man actully getting made) wouldn't be perfect like some think it would be(After Iron Man 2 and Thor we can say they don't crap gold)

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #85
Spidey220987
Side-Kick

As mentioned in the original post, inconsistencies is the only reason why I feel it should have been a 100% reboot. Some examples I can think of:

Hank becomes beast in First Class, but has a cameo in X-Men 2 I believe on the TV screen in human form, but reappears as Beast in X-3?

Young Emma Frost in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but Adult Emma Frost in First Class.

Xavier mentions that Storm was one of his first students, but she isn't in First Class.

I PERSONALLY would have liked the films to be linked, but the inconsistencies in the film made it hard. Also, I would have loved if the characters in First Class were the original first class (Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey, Beast, and Angel)

Last edited by Spidey220987; 06-12-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Storm, not Story
Spidey220987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #86
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyIsRKing View Post
I want to see sequels to First Class that are not restricted by the continuity or lack there of from the original movies. Would be more interesting if Vaughn and company are set loose to use any characters or plots they want without being confined to what happens in the future to Charles and Erik. I feel they were already straddling that line as it was in First Class.
i agree. future films shouldn't be confined by the original trilogy.

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #87
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

It bothers me when people toss out assumptions as if they're concrete facts. I keep saying this, but FC is a unique animal in that it can serve as a straight-up rebooting of the X-Men film franchise, or as a prequel to the franchise as it currently exists. This idea that the four previous films will be wiped from existence if FC is used as a reboot is a false one, as is this idea that The Wolverine and Origins: Deadpool won't be made if Fc is used as a franchise restart/reboot. FC being used as a reboot will simply create a new continuity that isn't dependent on the continuity or content of the previously released films, but those films will still exist.

I'd also like to once again point out that, if FC is used as a reboot, it won't be the only 'in train' X-Men-related film to disregard the continuity of previous films, as it will be joined by Origins: Deadpool and The Wolverine.

One final thing: using FC as a reboot does not preclude the producers from utilizing actors from previous X films, such as Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, etc. in potential FC sequels in major or cameo roles.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 06-12-2011 at 12:30 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #88
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The human looking beast In X2 Is a one second easter egg.Very easy to dismiss.A case could be made first Class Beast suggests they are Ignoring The Last Stand

X-Men Origins:Wolverine Is laregly being Ignored by all films In Franchise.Even so Emma
In Wolverine had no telpathec powers and was never called Emma Frost on screnn or In Credits.

Yes the first students line Is a liberty but many franchises have liberties with lines of diologe.Star Trek Is prime example.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #89
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ What's your point? Even though I am personally advocating that FC be used as a reboot, I am doing so ONLY because of the following:
1) That is how Matthew Vaughn approached directing it
2) It is intended to be the start of a new franchise
3) The story is structured in such a way that, although it can serve as a prequel to the other films, it also does enough things differently from what was previously established that it serves more or less the same function as J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #90
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Vaughn IS one who often says different things depending on who he IS talking to

First Class Is not the start of a new franchise.The Wolverine with Hugh Jackman Is next X film.X4 IS being discussed.X-Men First Class will probally get no sequel since It Is looking more and more likely It will end up with an Incredible Hulk/Fantastic Four rise of the SIlver surfer domestic gross.

A reboot meanas all the other films never happened.That means no Hugh Jackman as Wolverine anymore.And no using anything from previous X-Men films.As I keep pointing out Star Trek was a time travel caused alternate reality which makes It different than most others.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #91
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Um, no it doesn't... at least not automatically. If you want examples, take a look at J.J. Abrams' Star Trek and the new 'V' (especially the latter, which cast iconic actress Jane Badler as a completley new version of her classic 'V' character Diana).

There is room for Jackman and/or other actors from the previous films to appear in future FC sequels as the characters they previously played AND for FC to serve as a reboot to the franchise; just because you choose not to see it that way doesn't mean that it can't happen or isn't possible.

Singer, Donner, and Vaughn have all gone on record stating that the intent IS for FC to start a new franchise (ie. be the first of several films), and this intent exists independently of their decision to film The Wolverine and their future intent to proceed wtih a Deadpool film that ignores the character's appearance in Origins: Wolverine entirely. It might be dependent on the overall gross of FC, although all 3 of them made said comments prior to the film's release (during the period in which it was still in production, as well as just a matter of days before its official release), which leads me to believe that they will be pushing for FOX to give them the OK to do sequels to FC regardless of its overall gross.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #92
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

In the alternate reality being created It makes sence for Leonard Nimoy to appear as Spock.It's pointless to mentione V.It's axed now.

It makes absoletly no sense for Hugh Jackman to keep playing Wolverine If you play the reboot card.It's one thing to ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine and X-Men The Last Stand
but saying all X-Men films never happened means It makes no sense for jackman to keep playing Wolverine.

First Class was Intendend as part 1 of trilogy precedding X-Men.But,that Is moot now.A first Class sequel Isn't happening.It got killed by Super 8 this weekend and will do even worse next weekend against green Lantern.It may start to be pulled froms creen when Transformers hits.

Matthew vaughn blurred the line between Prequel and reboot but even admitted In one Interview that First Class and any possable sequel were meant to tale place before X-men.bryan Singer has called First Class a prequel with some liberties.Lauren Shuller Donner says X4/X5 are In the works anyone who thinks they would reboot with first class and yet go back to old series with The Wolverine and X4/X5 Is deluding themselves.Deadpool IS a case because all X-Films are Ignoring Wolverine.

It IS becoming a pointless discussion.First Class Is going to be an Incredible Hulk/Rise of the Silver Surfer level grossing film.It ainet getting a sequel.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post

It's the one with the weird hair... I'm kidding, the one with the weird purple hair. I think she even had a line.
Her line was "They wanna exterminate us".

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #94
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
In the alternate reality being created It makes sence for Leonard Nimoy to appear as Spock.It's pointless to mentione V.It's axed now.

It makes absoletly no sense for Hugh Jackman to keep playing Wolverine If you play the reboot card.It's one thing to ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine and X-Men The Last Stand
but saying all X-Men films never happened means It makes no sense for jackman to keep playing Wolverine.

First Class was Intendend as part 1 of trilogy precedding X-Men.But,that Is moot now.A first Class sequel Isn't happening.It got killed by Super 8 this weekend and will do even worse next weekend against green Lantern.It may start to be pulled froms creen when Transformers hits.

Matthew vaughn blurred the line between Prequel and reboot but even admitted In one Interview that First Class and any possable sequel were meant to tale place before X-men.bryan Singer has called First Class a prequel with some liberties.Lauren Shuller Donner says X4/X5 are In the works anyone who thinks they would reboot with first class and yet go back to old series with The Wolverine and X4/X5 Is deluding themselves.Deadpool IS a case because all X-Films are Ignoring Wolverine.

It IS becoming a pointless discussion.First Class Is going to be an Incredible Hulk/Rise of the Silver Surfer level grossing film.It ainet getting a sequel.
That's exactly the way I interpret it when I hear "new franchise". That it WILL (would be) a new trilogy, but not a reboot. It'd be a prequel. It's be a new franchise the way the prequel trilogy for Star Wars was a new franchise from the original trilogy. It's a new set of movies. But it's certainly not a reboot.

While you can use the argument about how Hugh Jackman could still be used if it were a reboot, they certainly wouldn't take scenes and history DIRECTLY FROM PREVIOUS MOVIES. They recreated the opening scene of X-Men shot for shot, thus, using that film's timeline, events, and history as it's own timeline, events, and history, thus it by definition cannot be a reboot.

A "prequel with liberties" is much more accurate. And it's a much more acceptable approach for me as well. I can understand not wanting to be a slave to other movies. However, taking those movies into consideration is very important. The timeline from X-Men: First Class spans 4 movies and 40 years. No First Class movie or sequel is going to tie directly into it. The events of X-Men Origins: Wolverine are a spinoff series of events that would not correlate with any events in any First Class movie, so any film or sequel would not tie directly into them. That is *NOT* a reboot. It's simply not connecting your movie to other films in which the stories are unrelated.

Xavier walking in X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine but getting paralyzed in X-Men: First Class is a liberty, not a reboot. Ignoring an unnamed cameo appearance of Emma Frost in X-Men Origins: Wolverine so that she can get a fully fleshed out treatment in X-Men: First Class because her involvement is crucial to the story being told is a liberty, not a reboot. And those are about the only inconsistencies, other than some ambiguous timeline discrepancies in a timeline that has never been strict from the moment "The Not Too Distant Future" appeared on screen, setting the films in a rather unknown time frame to begin with.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #95
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Her line was "They wanna exterminate us".
As well as "Going somewhere?"

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #96
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

She was well used, lol.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #97
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I honestly don't think we could expect much more from Psylocke.

Teleporting through shadows? Uh, very handy...when you can find a shadow...

Psychic knives? Like the audience is gonna get that...

Telepathy? Got it covered with Xavier and Emma...

Mei Melancon, who played Psylocke in X3, said there had been discussions about a scene in which she fires her psi-blades in a lab, but it was cut.

Here's my interview with her if you want to read what she has to say.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #98
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I've already stated my reasons for wanting the producers to use FC as a reboot, and how the film's story structure and content allows them to do so should they so choose, but have yet to see anyone provide me with a valid reason why FC's story and content prevents them from using the film as a reboot if they choose to do so.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #99
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moj1986 View Post
There were some great scenes that I thought made both ProfX and Magneto seem so much more interesting than previous films would allow, and also provided much more insight into their relationship...however I felt this hadn't really been given enough time before the final act. This sort of left me thinking could more have been done to depict how the pair had developed the brotherly bond, and this could include more of the vengeful Erik and the more fun loving Charles. I think the motivation for Charles to take on mutants as students and help them should have been with Erik being his first project (and actually being someone who he helps to develop/control his abilities but ultimately fails with..something Charles wouldn't be used to and providing motivation to not fail any other mutants..and a reason he'd never take down Magneto)
I really would love this to happen.
I think that one of the biggest problems they'll face for the next film is the exclusion of perhaps the one thing that really made First Class great - the Charles/Erik connection and the amazing chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender. It's like saying that in the next Star Trek film Spock and Kirk won't work together. How do you build such a great connection between two actors and their characters, giving the movie its soul, just to drop it on the sequel? It's difficult.

Plus, it was the stuff of dreams: optmist, fun-loving and gentle Charles and the bitter, hardned and cynical Erik building up a team, and the influence one would have upon the other, until things start falling apart. And it would offer an extra time for the other characters to be developed accordingly, especially Mystique, who sorely needed a really strong motive as to why she decided to desert her brother, and the school.

It's easy to see all of this being brought up in another film; First Class ending wouldn't have the same emotional punch, but then maybe they could have saved it for the sequel. The main problem is that, in this business, no one can be 100% of a sequel, unless it's PotC or something...

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #100
wampa1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If you do a reboot then both The Wolverine and Deadpool immedetly have to be axed.
Great!

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote