Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
See I think what Smallville did and what LnC did where two different things.

Smallville literally made it seem as though them both being in love with Lana was the reason they started to fall apart, and the cause of their legendary rivalry.

With LnC it was clear that their rivalry was brought on by the challenge Superman represented in terms of who was more powerful. Lois was sort of a prize Lex was trying to manipulate as part of that game (like organising to have a guy attack her, and then jumping in the way and shooting him before Superman could get there).

I'm not suggesting it anyway, someone else was. But if it was handled well, I wouldn't object to Lex asking Lois on a date just to stick a knife in Superman, and her excepting because she things it's a good chance to interview him and he IS a powerful, charming and rich man so it's also flattering that he'd be interested in her, especially when her affections for Superman don't seem to be reciprocated.
See, if they went in the route with this like they did in S:TAS, then I wouldn't mind as much, but if they were to put way too much emphasis on it, then that's where I would send in the emergency signal.

From the way that Lois has been mainly written in the comics, she isn't naive enough to be sincerely charmed by the likes of Lex Luthor, and I wouldn't want Lex to have actually feelings for Lois.

I've never been a fan of love triangles, let alone when they're involved within a rivalry against two enemies.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #27
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Default Re: Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 4

I also agree that Lois almost marrying Lex in the 90s was different than Smallville "Lex and Clark hate each other because of Lana" fiasco. Even that pissed ms off and I don't mind love triangles. Smallville just wouldn't stop with the Lana is the end all and be all of everything. It's nice that she almost married him and never slept with him; but I much prefer the S:TAS angle of Lois and Lex.
I do want to see Lois in another relationship though which will drive a knife in his gut ala SR. I hate that Superman has all these potential women on the side that make Lois feel bad, and she has none.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I do want to see Lois in another relationship though which will drive a knife in his gut ala SR. I hate that Superman has all these potential women on the side that make Lois feel bad, and she has none.

In the Silver Age comics and Smallville, she's slept around with everyone.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #29
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post

And I remember she hooked up with Bruce in The Batman/Superman Movie. Overall that was a good animated film.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #30
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Lois Lane's vagina is generally a black hole sucking everything in.

Though I'm still banking on the Nolan/Snyder version being different.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Who is the blond in the corner?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #32
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

No idea. About the Batman/Superman movie... she hooked up with Bruce, yes.

But it also occurred to me that Superman and Lois don't have an actual formal relationship in the Timmverse.

Nevertheless, the Timmverse is regarded by fan's as the BEST adaption of the modern Superman to date. Clearly the romantic relationship isn't that important in the grand scheme of the Superman story.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
Superman 1265
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Who is the blond in the corner?
Probably Lana. The artist colored her hair blonde instead of red.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #34
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:

Aquaman probably tastes like dead fish.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #35
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Lois Lane is like a toilet seat. Everyone has squatted on it at some point, and you'll eventually catch something.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #36
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Lois Lane is like a toilet seat. Everyone has squatted on it at some point, and you'll eventually catch something.
Them's fightin' words.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #37
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
No idea. About the Batman/Superman movie... she hooked up with Bruce, yes.

But it also occurred to me that Superman and Lois don't have an actual formal relationship in the Timmverse.

Nevertheless, the Timmverse is regarded by fan's as the BEST adaption of the modern Superman to date. Clearly the romantic relationship isn't that important in the grand scheme of the Superman story.
I think they finally kiss in the Timmverse during the series finale. I also wouldn't say it's the best adaptation of a modern Superman to date. While it was generally good and sometimes great for a cartoon tv show, I found it to be a pretty sterile adaptation. It was a bit too "by the numbers" for me and I don't think it took enough risks(storytelling wise).

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Mark Millar seems to share your sentiment:

"Superman doesn't love Lois. Clark loves Lois and Superman tries HARD to love Lois, but he can't because she's the wrong species. But he tries. Again, Maggin sums it up beautifully. It doesn't have to be complicated... Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman, Superman loves Clark [...] Perfect. This is also one of the reasons Superman shouldn't be married to Lois. It's just stupid. It makes no sense and destroys the whole dynamic. Superman is God, Jor-El is the Holy Spirit and Clark Kent is Jesus. The Kents are Mary and Joseph and Lois is Mary Magdelene. She's the NYC girl who's f***ed her way around the city and found nobody who measures up. She's just had it with men and is focusing on her career... then Superman shows up. This is why Margot Kidder was perfect for the role and why Lois should be played by someone around 30 even if Supes is being played by a 25 year old. You'll see what I mean when we fix it."

Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #39
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2007 View Post

"Superman doesn't love Lois. Clark loves Lois and Superman tries HARD to love Lois, but he can't because she's the wrong species. But he tries. Again, Maggin sums it up beautifully. It doesn't have to be complicated... Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman, Superman loves Clark [...] Perfect. This is also one of the reasons Superman shouldn't be married to Lois. It's just stupid. It makes no sense and destroys the whole dynamic. Superman is God, Jor-El is the Holy Spirit and Clark Kent is Jesus. The Kents are Mary and Joseph and Lois is Mary Magdelene. She's the NYC girl who's f***ed her way around the city and found nobody who measures up.
I seriously hope he is joking. If not, that is among the stupidest quotes I've ever read from an accomplished and talented writer (Red Son FTW).

Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

"Superman doesn't love Lois. Clark loves Lois and Superman tries HARD to love Lois, but he can't because she's the wrong species. But he tries. Again, Maggin sums it up beautifully. It doesn't have to be complicated... Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman, Superman loves Clark [...] Perfect. This is also one of the reasons Superman shouldn't be married to Lois. It's just stupid. It makes no sense and destroys the whole dynamic. Superman is God, Jor-El is the Holy Spirit and Clark Kent is Jesus. The Kents are Mary and Joseph and Lois is Mary Magdelene. She's the NYC girl who's f***ed her way around the city and found nobody who measures up. She's just had it with men and is focusing on her career... then Superman shows up. This is why Margot Kidder was perfect for the role and why Lois should be played by someone around 30 even if Supes is being played by a 25 year old. You'll see what I mean when we fix it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
I seriously hope he is joking. If not, that is among the stupidest quotes I've ever read from an accomplished and talented writer (Red Son FTW).
I agree. First off, his biblical analogies seem kind of jumbled and awkward. Wouldn't Jor-El be God, the father? Wouldn't Superman be Jesus, the tangible embodiment of an ideal and a person we can talk to? Second, I don't think Mary Magdalene was actually a prostitute in the original Bible, she just got composited with an unnamed prostitute at some point. But that's probably not relevant. Third, while I'm not going to call Lois a whore or whatever in that situation, but it ****s up the whole relationship between her and Superman. It changes from, "Lois loves Superman because he's a symbol of Truth, Justice, and the American Way." to "Lois loves Superman because he's a good ****." Seems immature to me and it doesn't belong in a Superman story.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #41
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:

Naw, in the 50's people didnt have sex; all they did was kiss like in that panel.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I agree. First off, his biblical analogies seem kind of jumbled and awkward. Wouldn't Jor-El be God, the father? Wouldn't Superman be Jesus, the tangible embodiment of an ideal and a person we can talk to? Second, I don't think Mary Magdalene was actually a prostitute in the original Bible, she just got composited with an unnamed prostitute at some point. But that's probably not relevant. Third, while I'm not going to call Lois a whore or whatever in that situation, but it ****s up the whole relationship between her and Superman. It changes from, "Lois loves Superman because he's a symbol of Truth, Justice, and the American Way." to "Lois loves Superman because he's a good ****." Seems immature to me and it doesn't belong in a Superman story.
Yeah, that about sums it up.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #43
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:

I think this is the perspective the Snyder film and DC Comics reboot will have.

Waid and Morrison are supposedly on the same page and launched a proposal with Millar to end the Superman/Lois marriage.

I agree with this.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #44
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think this is the perspective the Snyder film and DC Comics reboot will have.

Waid and Morrison are supposedly on the same page and launched a proposal with Millar to end the Superman/Lois marriage.

I agree with this.
God I hope not...I mean I'm not saying Lois has to be a chaste, pure, angel before meeting Superman, but I don't want her to have slept with every man under the sun, before finding Superman either. There has to be a balance, is what I'm saying, lol.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #45
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

I prefer an interpretation of Lois as a young out of school reporter who's worked hard all her life to get her job.... than an older cougar type that has slept around all over Metropolis lining up with Millar's prostitute analogy.

BUT then again, if they eliminate the marriage and it really isn't a big deal to me whether Lois is loose or not.

If she isn't Superman's soulmate, she can sleep with everyone and everything.. like Madonna.

But I agree with Millar that it looks stupid if Superman is tied down with 'Mary Magdelene.' I'm skeptical the formal relationship or marriage will make it into the film, I guess that's the one upside of going with an older actress approaching 40 for Lois in this franchise.

Last edited by Man of Tomorrow; 06-10-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #46
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

And then in twenty years, Superman (and Spider-Man) get married again.

Come on DC (and Marvel), stop going on a roundabout with childhoods. OK, so you grew up with a single Supes, you'll make him single again, and the next generation of DC writers who grew up with a married Supes will restore it, like a vicious cycle.

Well, as long as the stories are good I'll just read them as stories about a younger Superman.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #47
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
But I agree with Millar that it looks stupid if Superman is tied down
Ridiculous biblical analogies aside, how does marriage "tie" Superman down? Especially if it's marriage to Lois.

They work together in the same establishment, which means they have a lot of time to interact whereas most couples are physically separated during the working hours of the day.

And on top of that, single or taken, Clark has shown himself capable of maintaining a civilian life without it impeding on his duties as Superman.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #48
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientraveller View Post
And then in twenty years, Superman (and Spider-Man) get married again.
I don't know about that. The marriage, in the 90s, was supposed to be a one-off ploy to draw in new readers, but a good chunk of influencial DC staff and writers were against it.

I think it's over, post-Flashpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Ridiculous biblical analogies aside, how does marriage "tie" Superman down? Especially if it's marriage to Lois.

They work together in the same establishment, which means they have a lot of time to interact whereas most couples are physically separated during the working hours of the day.

And on top of that, single or taken, Clark has shown himself capable of maintaining a civilian life without it impeding on his duties as Superman.

Instead of me repeating everything, check out the MSNBC article and you'll understand why the marriage has a detrimental effect on the Superman character.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I disagree with Millar. There's Daily Planet Clark who's a facade, Superman who is also not the true person, and the real Clark we see with his parents and people who know who he is.

I also think that Clark shouldnt be too much of a loser, because the whole thing comes off as awkward and because i just cant see Lois ever falling in love with a doofus.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #50
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Instead of me repeating everything, check out the MSNBC article and you'll understand why the marriage has a detrimental effect on the Superman character.
Weak.

Closed Thread