The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Saddest moment in X-film franchise?
Charles Xavier paralysis at Magnus' hands (FC) 25 33.78%
Mystique's desertion of charles (FC) 0 0%
Shaw kills Mrs. Lensherr (FC) 4 5.41%
Death of Darwin (FC) 1 1.35%
Jeans Sacrifice (X2) 23 31.08%
Phoenix kills Charles (X3) 10 13.51%
wolvie kills Phoenix (X3) 1 1.35%
Mystique is cured and left by Magneto (X3) 2 2.70%
Young Warren Worthington cutting his wings (X3) 1 1.35%
Other 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #51
Superhero 101
DESI

Default Re: Saddest moment in the x-men film franchise?

Charles Paralyzed
Jean Sacrifice
Wolvie Kills Jean
Magneto Leaving Mystique in X3

I Also think that the opeining sequences in X-men and First Class was quite sad too

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #52
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Cyclops with comatose Professor
Jean's sacrifice
Jean "kills" Professor
Wolverine kills Jean
X1/First Class Opening
Charles paralyzed / Mystique leaving Charles

Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #53
Marvel
Side-Kick

Magneto paralyzing Xavier is muted (rightfully and brilliantly so) because Charles doesn't let Erik or Raven know how bad he's hurt.

Some underrated understated moments...

I think Storm's eulogy for Charles in X3 is the saddest and most emotional moment of the series. That really packs a punch especially when you splice in the young children stunned and crying.

I also think the ending to Origins Wolverine is quite unique and emotional. Logan's true love left unmourned.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #54
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

When Charles became paralyzed by Magneto.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #55
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

first class beach scene for me. I find Xavier's death in last stand to be more WTF than sad. It had no weight to it. he just shattered. it was weird lol. I hated the way phoenix killed people in that film, they just went poof and were gone. it was like when you kill a guard in a video game.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #56
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

A tie between:
Rogue's "death scene" atop the Statue of Liberty
and
Jean's sacrifice at Alkali Lake

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #57
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

First Class beach scene.

I also find Jean's sacrifice in X2 very moving, though it's marred for me a teensy little bit by 1) Marsden's acting - I have no major problems with it elsewhere but here it just feels fake and weak and threatens to pull me out of the scene; and 2) the reaction of Wolverine and Cyclops - an attempt at bonding-through-grief that, again, didn't work for me.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #58
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Cyclops being killed off broke my heart. So it's definitely the saddest moment in the franchise for me.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #59
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Charles getting paralyzed. The way the music just stops; the world slows down. You know what it means before the characters do. And then when Charles realizes that he can't feel his legs and just starts saying it over and over...heart-breaking.

Jean "dying" at the end of X2 was also tragic, except it made no damn sense. If she could magically get the jet to spark back to life...why didn't she just stay in the jet in the first place? And why, oh why, did she have to leave the jet to hold back the water??? She has telekinesis! No sacrifice required!

X3, by itself, was tragic. It was like everyone decided that, because it's the third and final movie, it's okay to just aimlessly kill off all the characters to create "drama." That's not how you create drama. Your characters can't go through conflict if they're dead!

Nerial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #60
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

For me Jean's sacrifice in X2 is still the saddest moment in the franchise. As someone else said, that last look she gives her friends before she leaves the plane just gets me everytime, and the rest of the scene I feel sad as well.

Also thought the acting in that scene was brilliant unlike some others on here. And UI thought the scene made sense, Jean left the plane because, as Xavier said, she was always hesitant about her powers, which indicates to me she wasnt confident enough to stop the water without blowing the front of the X-Jet off, which would have really put them all in the ****.

FC adds some great moments though, Magneto's mother dying, Magneto's memory induced by Charles, Charles being paralysed and saying repeatedly he couldnt feel his legs, Mystique's reaction to the bullet hitting Charles and probably a few others I cant think of.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #61
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I thought it was already common knowledge, atleast with fans of the movie series, that Jean's powers were messing up with the jet, that's why she had to step outside.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #62
Quetzal
Side-Kick

I guess I am the outlier on this one, I always thought there was a remarkable sadness and coldbloodness in the final interaction between Magneto and Mystique after she gets the cure.

Especially with XMFC making Mystique more relateable, that whole scene carries a whole new weight if you watch that scene over again. I voted for that.

Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #63
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I thought it was already common knowledge, atleast with fans of the movie series, that Jean's powers were messing up with the jet, that's why she had to step outside.
Well yeah thats what I meant, her powers were affecting the plane, also Cyclops says just before Jean walks out "We need some type of external power." Another reason why she left the plane was to be that external power to get the plane moving, and also as I said she didnt have enough faith in her powers to not blow the front of the plane off while stopping the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
I guess I am the outlier on this one, I always thought there was a remarkable sadness and coldbloodness in the final interaction between Magneto and Mystique after she gets the cure.

Especially with XMFC making Mystique more relateable, that whole scene carries a whole new weight if you watch that scene over again. I voted for that.

You know, despite hating X3, I have to agree that FC does add more power to that scene, I now appreciate it a lot more.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #64
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I wouldn't describe it as sad exactly (because it mostly just makes me furious), but Magneto abandoning Mystique in X3 to me feels like the cruellest thing anyone's done to anyone in this series.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #65
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

The Erik/Xavier memory scene/moving of satellite dish in FC is easily the saddest.

I must admit to feeling emotion at Storm's reading of the eulogy in X3 but the emotion isn't anywhere near that of the satellite dish sequence.

I felt nothing at the death of Jean in X2, it just doesn't move me at all, it seems to fall flat.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #66
OsGom
Mind-Taker

When Singer left and Ratner took over the director's seat.... EASILY the saddest moment in the Xmen franchise.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #67
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

There are so many I think almost all Rogues moments in X1 especially when she breaks down to Logan about "the first boy I ever kissed" and how she feels alone.

Storm's one very emotional moment and worth a mention was the one where she tells Nightcrawler how truely angry she is and he tells her "someone so beautiful should not be so angry" so it ends kind of sweet.

But all kind of pall in comparison to Jean's sacrafice because everyone knew how momentous the sacrafice was and what it represented and how it signified her rise in the next film and that nothing would ever be the same.

(Sidenote: They never answered why she left the Blackbird in X2 in X3 yet another missed opportunity in that film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is online now   Reply With Quote