The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
raybia
Signing off

Default Re: The Dark Knight Trilogy is essentially an Elseworlds story

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I only recall one Burton movie reference in Schumacher's movies and that was Chase's remark about Batman liking strong women in skin tight vinyl with a whip. I guess the inclusion of Pat Hingle and Michael Gough counts, too.
Maybe that was merely a nod to what Burton did previously but Schumacher's Batworld was an entirely new creation. It sure didn't seem like the same world.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Personally I'd prefer it if comics were more like films in that the emphasis isn't on maintaining continuity for decades but on making finite stories.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Personally I'd prefer it if comics were more like films in that the emphasis isn't on maintaining continuity for decades but on making finite stories.
Maintaining continuity is very problematic and is the reason why DC is rebooting again for the umpteenth time. I like your idea. I think that such be the new business model for comics here in the 21st century.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
KneelBeforeZod
Side-Kick

Quote:
I prefer the finite stories as well. I generally stick to graphic novels for that reason.

JB

KneelBeforeZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #30
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia View Post
Maintaining continuity is very problematic and is the reason why DC is rebooting again for the umpteenth time. I like your idea. I think that such be the new business model for comics here in the 21st century.
I just think it's outdate and makes for poorer stories. Just bring in a creative team and let them do their thing, I'd even prefer it if the story is released in it's entirety in graphic novel form with monthlies done away with.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelBeforeZod View Post
I prefer the finite stories as well. I generally stick to graphic novels for that reason.

JB
Would you say that Graphic novels are comics for adults whereas comicbooks are mostly for kids and young adults, generally speaking.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #32
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
I just think it's outdate and makes for poorer stories. Just bring in a creative team and let them do their thing, I'd even prefer it if the story is released in it's entirety in graphic novel form with monthlies done away with.
That really makes sense especially from a business standpoint. Would there be a major loss of revenue without monthlies and if so how could the comicbook industry recoup those losses?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
batman11

Quote:
I think this is the reason why some people (often myself) have more of an affinity for relatively self-contained graphic novels, as opposed to ongoing comics. While I certainly enjoy comics and recognize the merits in them, there's something about a story that follows the path of a novel or a film that I just prefer. I think a sense of finality, resolution, and over-arching yet contained themes are the contributing factors. That's not to say that these don't exist in the ongoing comics, but within that realm, it's not entirely the same.

EDIT: I see that I'm not alone in my thinking.

Visit Batman-News.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
To RELIVE the TDK VIRALS (or learn more!), visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
batman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #34
KneelBeforeZod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Would you say that Graphic novels are comics for adults whereas comicbooks are mostly for kids and young adults, generally speaking.
I'm not sure. I don't really read anything until it gets to graphic novel, so I don't have much basis for comparison. They're pretty much standalone stories -- either in-continuity comics grouped together, or a separate story.

I just started reading some of the Batman and Superman graphic novels over the last few months -- I've been impressed so far. Not kids stuff, for the most part.

JB

KneelBeforeZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I think I like that idea. Then the characters could really change things and shake things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelBeforeZod View Post
I'm not sure. I don't really read anything until it gets to graphic novel, so I don't have much basis for comparison. They're pretty much standalone stories -- either in-continuity comics grouped together, or a separate story.

I just started reading some of the Batman and Superman graphic novels over the last few months -- I've been impressed so far. Not kids stuff, for the most part.

JB
Yeah, I usually read things in Trade PaperBack anyway, what with the decompressed and multi-issue storylines and what not, it's much easier than reading part 1, then waiting a month before I can read part 2.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #36
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rise View Post
You don't get it. THIS was not out of the blue. THIS was brought up elsewhere, to be discussed, somewhere no one even seems to care about anymore. It's not just bringing it up again
Here's a tissue to wipe away those tears.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
That really makes sense especially from a business standpoint. Would there be a major loss of revenue without monthlies and if so how could the comicbook industry recoup those losses?
If it's treated like book launch I actually think you could reap more. A part of the problem is that it requires commitment to do the monthly thing, I'm inclined to believe non-comic readers would be more interested in picking up something in book form.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #38
The Batman
The Dark Knight

The funny thing is knight ride dosent even bother showing HIS post to try proving his point.

Not that it matters...people say similar **** all the time around here. No idea is original.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #39
Dr. Teols
M.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Not that it matters...people say similar **** all the time around here. No idea is original.
THIS

is why inception is difficult

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #40
Knight Rise
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
The funny thing is knight ride dosent even bother showing HIS post to try proving his point.

1) I apologized so now it's not even worth talking about. It's done and over

2) It wasn't an idea in case you didnt read this over

3) If you wanted to see my post, I already said it's in my "Batman: By Night" thread in the Bat-World section

So please don't start anything like i did after i ended it peacefully

Knight Rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #41
D.P.
Banned User

Well, I will say this.

We know that every one of Christopher Nolan's movies outside of the Bat-Trilogy have involved some underlying psychological theme or swerve/twist ending.

We haven't seen that yet in BB or TDK, so I think it's highly likely that we will be in for a big surprise when he finishes telling his story with TDKR.

It's a feeling I've had for awhile. Especially when you take a step back and look at all of the movies he has done starting with Following.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #42
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Well, I will say this.

We know that every one of Christopher Nolan's movies outside of the Bat-Trilogy have involved some underlying psychological theme or swerve/twist ending.

We haven't seen that yet in BB or TDK, so I think it's highly likely that we will be in for a big surprise when he finishes telling his story with TDKR.

It's a feeling I've had for awhile. Especially when you take a step back and look at all of the movies he has done starting with Following.
I think it's present in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I consider The Dark Knight's ending to be a twist ending, wouldn't you?

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #43
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I think it's present in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I consider The Dark Knight's ending to be a twist ending, wouldn't you?
I see what you're saying, but not necessarily. This is just my own personal opinion.

I'm looking at the series as a whole as one big story broken into 3 chapters, so it's only logical to expect a big twist in the final third chapter, and I think Nolan will deliver in that regard.

I don't know who mentioned it first, and I don't want any kind of Knight Rise controversy over who said what first, but someone on the boards compared the trilogy to a "Prestige" from the Nolan movie bearing the same name.

Suggesting that some of the things we've seen in BB and TDK have been illusions/misdirections setting us up for something larger in TDKR.

I think we'll either get something extremely shocking, or something that's ambiguous and to be left up to interpretation. We'll see.

But that could just be in the conspiracy theorist in me searching for something deeper.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #44
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
I think Nolan first hinted at this in TDK when the caption under the main poster said, "Welcome to a world without rules."
I'm reasonably certain that tagline refers to Batman's decision to "break the rules" and introduce this entirely new, uncontrolled concept into the world--and the criminal response to that new paradigm (the response being the Joker). The world without rules is the world Bruce created when he became Batman.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #45
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Just about every superhero film is an elseworlds. Ang Lee's Hulk, Sam Rami's Spider-man, Burton's Batman, definantly the X-men series. Hell even The Donner Superman films. All of these movies are about finite stories. Nolan hasn't started anything new.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #46
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncredibleSk View Post
I don't care if it's a elseword story if he kills Bruce, then I won't beable to take the movies seriously.
Let me get this straight... you won't be able to take killing off a mortal man seriously in these movies, but you will be able to take seriously the concept of a man dressed as a bat waging an infinite war on crime for the rest of eternity without getting caught or killed. Makes perfect sense.

Nevincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #47
Miranda Fox
Haters to the Left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhunt View Post
Let me get this straight... you won't be able to take killing off a mortal man seriously in these movies, but you will be able to take seriously the concept of a man dressed as a bat waging an infinite war on crime for the rest of eternity without getting caught or killed. Makes perfect sense.

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it!" - Pirate Captain.

Miranda Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #48
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncredibleSk View Post
I don't care if it's a elseword story if he kills Bruce, then I won't beable to take the movies seriously.
Why? Because it's your precious Batman?

I think it would be a bold and brilliant move to have the hero die at the end of the movie. But obviously have him go out like a true hero. He makes the ultimate sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Well aren't all movies based on comics "Elseworlds" stories?
Pretty much yea. There doesn't need to be much thought put into it. All comic book movies are "alternate realities" or "elseworld" tales.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #49
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
An ongoing, serialized format is what makes comic books so unique and great.

You can still have writers come in and do their thing and not have continuity hold them back. Continuity can be used as a tool to tell great stories. Just look at Grant Morrison's recent Batman work for an example of that.

We see these characters grow and develop over years. They have histories. If all comics were one shots you couldn't have that character development or growth. They'd just be blank slates and you'd never see the characters develop as actual people. They'd be stuck as superhero archetypes forever. To be, that would be incredibly boring.

I mean, one of the greatest pieces of modern literature, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, is 75 issues long. It's an ongoing comic. It is just so vast and expansive. The main character, Dream of the Endless, goes on a real journey of character. It's hard to describe really, you need to read it.

That story could not have been told in a one shot/graphic novel, or a 12 issue mini series.

Last edited by The Morningstar; 06-10-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #50
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
People who think that are ignorant. A "graphic novel" isn't inherently more mature or adult than an ongoing comic.