The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #276
Flemm
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 477
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
*Ahem* INCREDIBLE HULK *Cough*Cough*
Sure, but that was years ago and won't affect the Avengers. The focus will be on Thor/Cap/IM, so a flop from either Thor or Cap would have been a major downer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
You know, in an interview during the Captain America premier, Chris Hemsworth was interviewed and he heavily hinted that there will be a Thor vs Captain America throw down. I wouldn't like it one bit if Cap beat Thor's box office gross and humiliate him in the Avengers. Seriously, why would they even fight? Cap and Thor, look, you have to subdue the HULK, not each other. There is the Avenger with whom you should focus your hostilities with.
LoL, well, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Marvel is building all three of these characters into successful franchises. All of them will be showcased in Avengers, as will Hulk of course (despite the relative lack of success of that particular movie).

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #277
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
You know, in an interview during the Captain America premier, Chris Hemsworth was interviewed and he heavily hinted that there will be a Thor vs Captain America throw down. I wouldn't like it one bit if Cap beat Thor's box office gross and humiliate him in the Avengers. Seriously, why would they even fight? Cap and Thor, look, you have to subdue the HULK, not each other. There is the Avenger with whom you should focus your hostilities with.
Cap's not gonna beat Thor's domestic gross by much, and it's not going to get anywhere near Thor's worldwide gross so who cares if it makes a few more million domestically.

I'm tired of people acting as if worldwide grosses don't matter, when they clearly do.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #278
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,437
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Half the viewers went because they wanted to see 10 seconds of Thor in the trailer

BOM estimates

Jul 22–24
chart place 20 +2
$335,000 (Estimate)-13.2%
236 venues -36
$180,128,000(Estimate)
week 12

So long Wolvie.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 07-24-2011 at 12:09 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #279
eeffos
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 79
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Half the viewers went because they wanted to see 10 seconds of Thor in the trailer

BOM estimates

Jul 22–24
chart place 20 +2
$335,000 (Estimate)-13.2%
236 venues -36
$180,128,000(Estimate)
week 12

So long Wolvie.
Not only has it passed Wolverine.......but did you also notice Thor's incredible legs - It grossed the same amount this weekend as XM-FC which came out a month after Thor! Here's the link (scroll down and you'll see they grossed the same for the weekend)! -
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/...ate/2011-07-24

eeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #280
Weadazoid
Side-Kick
 
Weadazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Illadel
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Cap's not gonna beat Thor's domestic gross by much, and it's not going to get anywhere near Thor's worldwide gross so who cares if it makes a few more million domestically.

I'm tired of people acting as if worldwide grosses don't matter, when they clearly do.

I am guessing If THor and Cap have a problem with one another, it will be based on who is the better leader.....


Face it Caps the leader of the Avengers, but you can't tell me for one second Thor being who he is wouldn't want to lead.....



I doubt it will be a throwdown, probably just a good argument.




Thor and Cap will be on equal ground Box office wise for domestic numbers I'd imagine.

- it's Iron Man getting too much exposure I would be worried about, we don't want Iron Man becoming the "wolverine" character of the Avengers.... Luckily the public has already had thier fill, and Joss won't be handcuffed to the idea that what this movie needs is more Iron Man...


or more Cow Bell for that matter

__________________
100 chimps working in unison to create the next great American Novel... It was the best of times it..... it was the blurst of times??? You have to love Mr. Burns.
Weadazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #281
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,437
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

I think there are two factors to this good run
- Good word of mouth
- Prepping for Captain America

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #282
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Cap's not gonna beat Thor's domestic gross by much, and it's not going to get anywhere near Thor's worldwide gross so who cares if it makes a few more million domestically.

I'm tired of people acting as if worldwide grosses don't matter, when they clearly do.

Eh? How sure are you that Cap won't beat Thor's foreign gross? Experts were predicting that Cap will come in at number 2 this weekend, and that it will gross only somewhere within the $55-$65M range (between Xmen and Thor), they never said that Cap can actually top Thor. Word-of-Mouth is surprisingly good for Cap. Who knows how that will translate in the foreign market.

Anyway, it's still just studio estimates at this point. $100K is a small enough difference to overcome when actual numbers are released.

I look at it this way, Thor opened when classes were still going, so fewer were able to go during opening weekend. Cap is front loaded, and it will be interesting if it can sustain its momentum for long. Thor on the other hand is showing great legs. Kudos to Thor in that regard.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #283
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeffos View Post
Not only has it passed Wolverine.......but did you also notice Thor's incredible legs - It grossed the same amount this weekend as XM-FC which came out a month after Thor! Here's the link (scroll down and you'll see they grossed the same for the weekend)! -
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/...ate/2011-07-24
Good point. That is amazing. Thor earning as much as X-Men First Class this weekend? Awesome. Kudos Thor! Show them legs! wooohooo!

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #284
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
Eh? How sure are you that Cap won't beat Thor's foreign gross?
I'm 100% sure, it's no secret since everyone knew that was going to be the case from the get-go.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #285
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
I am guessing If THor and Cap have a problem with one another, it will be based on who is the better leader.....


Face it Caps the leader of the Avengers, but you can't tell me for one second Thor being who he is wouldn't want to lead.....



I doubt it will be a throwdown, probably just a good argument.
What are you talking about? This didn't pertain to my post at all.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #286
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,048
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Thor is on it's discount theater run. It was always going to make an extra mil or 2 domestically.

__________________

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #287
Weadazoid
Side-Kick
 
Weadazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Illadel
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
What are you talking about? This didn't pertain to my post at all.

I was just trying to jump in on your convo with Thor Thunder God.... I guess I should have quoted him...

sorry bout that Big Thor





Thor fans rejoice, anyone else think it's AWSOME Thor stands in the middle of the round table as if in deep thought... with all eyes on him....


I mean come on he is clearly gonna have a big roll in this film, and I think the sequal will be a true block buster

__________________
100 chimps working in unison to create the next great American Novel... It was the best of times it..... it was the blurst of times??? You have to love Mr. Burns.
Weadazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #288
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick
 
Shadowlord X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Hey folks, I just popped to CELEBRATE with fellow THOR fans his crossing the $180 MILLION mark this weekend!!!!!!

WOOHOOOO!!!!!



Let's keep our fingers crossed that CAPTAIN AMERICA: The First Avenger can equal or better that. If Cap hits blockbuster status then that's more momentum for THE AVENGERS. Then, if that is as SPECTACULAR as we hope and rips apart the box-office, it will build even more momentum for THOR 2!!!!!

MARVEL FTW!!!!!

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #289
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
Thor fans rejoice, anyone else think it's AWSOME Thor stands in the middle of the round table as if in deep thought... with all eyes on him....
Are you talking about Thor in the Avengers trailer?


Quote:
I mean come on he is clearly gonna have a big roll in this film, and I think the sequal will be a true block buster
Hell yeah, I think Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and Cap should have the largest roles in the film (being somewhat even with each other). I can't wait to see Thor's sequel, if the Avengers is as successful as we hope then Thor 2 is going to be HUGE.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 07-25-2011 at 12:52 AM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #290
Weadazoid
Side-Kick
 
Weadazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Illadel
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Are you talking about Thor in the Avengers trailer?




Hell yeah, I think Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and Cap should have the largest roles in the film (being somewhat even with each other). I can't wait to see Thor's sequel, if the Avengers is as successful as we hope Thor 2 is going to be HUGE.

yes to Thor in the avenger trailer

yes to Thors huge sequal potencial.

yes to Thor and Cap clearly ruleing the world of comic movies this year and for all practical purposes tieing.




And next summer.... honestly, I think Avengers and Batman are the clear locks

Spiderman reboot will clearly be overly scrutinized by critics and fans, so it has the most to lose

__________________
100 chimps working in unison to create the next great American Novel... It was the best of times it..... it was the blurst of times??? You have to love Mr. Burns.
Weadazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #291
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Are you talking about Thor in the Avengers trailer?




Hell yeah, I think Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and Cap should have the largest roles in the film (being somewhat even with each other). I can't wait to see Thor's sequel, if the Avengers is as successful as we hope Thor 2 is going to be HUGE.
Exactly.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #292
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
yes to Thor in the avenger trailer
He did look pretty important when he was sitting at the middle of the table, I hope he does some very important things in the film.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #293
itchyscratch
Side-Kick
 
itchyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 672
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

With so many characters being crammed into the Avengers I'm happy for Jane not to be a part of Thor's storyline again until Thor 2. I'm more interested to see how Thor reacts to seeing Loki. He's one angry little puppy in that trailer and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Will a part of him be pleased to see Loki alive or will Thor be a total crankynuts when he finds out his brother is alive and scheming. Curious to see if he is in any way protective of Loki and if there is the slightest bit of trust left between them.

Also wondering if Loki is going to target Thor in particular in the Avengers or if he'll be past caring about him.

Do you think Loki will be the main villian in Thor 2? Will that be overkill to have him as the main foe in all three movies? Is there a chance he won't even appear in Thor 2?

itchyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #294
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,437
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

I still think Jane has to be in it to bring any kind of justice to Thor's cliffhanger. If rumours are correct and they got Gwyneth back its going to feel like 'where's nat?'

I think he will be in Thor 2, pulling the strings of Enchantress and Skurge

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #295
Flemm
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 477
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Loki will definitely be there in Thor 2. He's too important to the core family dynamic to be absent. I agree that he will likely be manipulating others from the background, at least initially.

The question of how to handle Jane Foster and Thor's return to earth in Avengers will be tricky. It's already a huge ensemble, so I don't think there's much point in giving Jane what would basically amount to a cameo. The script will have to work around it so that it can be a big part of Thor 2.

It will be interesting to see how Whedon handles this, though.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #296
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,143
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
I think he will be in Thor 2, pulling the strings of Enchantress and Skurge
That would be perfect

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #297
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Our guy still is the number #1 at the opening weekend.

Cap did came close though.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #298
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,437
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
Loki will definitely be there in Thor 2. He's too important to the core family dynamic to be absent. I agree that he will likely be manipulating others from the background, at least initially.

The question of how to handle Jane Foster and Thor's return to earth in Avengers will be tricky. It's already a huge ensemble, so I don't think there's much point in giving Jane what would basically amount to a cameo. The script will have to work around it so that it can be a big part of Thor 2.

It will be interesting to see how Whedon handles this, though.
We need one scene of her setting up/starting some equipment she and Tony have masterminded (perhaps powered by the cube). Thor comes back, they cuddle/kiss and she sends him off with Tony to fight the threat. He leaves at the end saying he has someone to catch up with and we go into Thor 2.

I've thought about this.

As for Enchantress I would love them to expand on the Magic=Science theme and put her and Jane head to head. Show Jane using her smarts to defeat the bad guy. Enchantress can start some havok to keep the Warrior's Three and Sif occupied and Thor beats the Executioner.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 07-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #299
sgaana
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 264
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
We need one scene of her setting up/starting some equipment she and Tony have masterminded (perhaps powered by the cube). Thor comes back, they cuddle/kiss and she sends him off with Tony to fight the threat. He leaves at the end saying he has someone to catch up with and we go into Thor 2.

I've thought about this.
I would be ecstatic if this is what happens. I haven't wanted to hope for it too hard, because of the uncertainty about Natalie Portman being able to shoot anything. Part of me, though, is crossing my fingers that they find some way to do it, even long after the rest is filmed and they have to just get Hemsworth and Portman back for a couple of pick-up scenes to insert. That would be the best.

To keep myself from being too disappointed, though, I keep imagining other ways they could work around it, while still respecting what was set up at the end of THOR.


... That said, here's what I wonder. Why DID they end THOR that way, when they knew we'd next see him in The Avengers? That is, when they wrote that ending to THOR, they had to already sort of have a plan for how to bring him back. Did they always intend to have Jane as a cameo in The Avengers, and Portman's pregnancy timing has interfered with their plans? Or have they always been planning some other solution that puts off the Thor/Jane reunion to THOR 2?

sgaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #300
Flemm
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 477
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaana View Post
Or have they always been planning some other solution that puts off the Thor/Jane reunion to THOR 2?
I actually think the above option may be what we eventually get. Not that I would be opposed to Jane appearing in Avengers, but there's going to be a lot going on in that film, including plenty of Thor stuff, with Loki and Selvig (at least). So, if it turns out to be better to leave the Jane/Thor romance follow-up for Thor 2, where it can get the attention it deserves, then I'm ok with that.

I can see Jane having some very cool stuff to do in Thor 2, with the Bifrost tech she is developing and perhaps a trip to Asgard, which would actually reverse the "fish out of water" dynamic of the first movie. And I love the idea, mentioned above, of a battle of wits between Jane and the Enchantress.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.