The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #301
Thor_Odinson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In a thunder storm
Posts: 119
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

I'm still hoping they will do some sort of reference to Jane in the Avengers.

Thor_Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #302
itchyscratch
Side-Kick
 
itchyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 672
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

The one conversation I'm really looking forward to hearing is between Thor and Banner after Thor has fought Hulk. As someone who is supremely confident in who he is, his ability, strength, power etc, I can imagine Thor being fascinated by Banner/Hulk and the conflict between the personas. I'm not a fan of everything Joss does, but he can write those types of conversations extremely well.

itchyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #303
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Our guy still is the number #1 at the opening weekend.

Cap did came close though.

Hell YEAH!!!!

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #304
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,450
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Cap is pulling ahead of Thor. Getting 2 Mill more on its first Monday than Thor did.

That said. Thor is now outgrossing X Men, Green Lantern and Kung Fu Panda on a daily basis.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #305
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,163
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

^^^ You can't forget that school was still in when Thor first hit theaters.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #306
rayc1971
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

im glad to see that 180 mill domestic which means it outgrossed wolverine domestic and world wide!

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #307
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,450
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

World wide is creeping ever closer to the lovely $450M mark. It now stands at $447,360,971 with international numbers having updated through 24/7 on BOM

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?

Last edited by 04nbod; 07-27-2011 at 07:25 AM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #308
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick
 
CaptainCraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 540
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

With Monday totals THOR has leap frogged Green Lantern in the rankings. Monday totals were:
Thor - $58,223 12 weeks+ in release
GL - $51,566 6 weeks+


__________________
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings - Optimus Prime
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
CaptainCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #309
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

That's impressive. Great legs for this movie!

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #310
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
That's impressive. Great legs for this movie!
I never cared for Thor...

But I saw this twice. Great movie deserves great legs.

__________________
Michelle Pfeiffer:
I swear she's destined for the screen...
http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #311
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,450
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
I never cared for Thor...

But I saw this twice. Great movie deserves great legs.
No one can blame you really. Thor is a great character but his canon is a mess. Its so convoluted. The best Thor stories (except the Simonson stuff) are able to strip all that back into the bare essentials.

Look at JMS, got rid of all the gods and introduced them one by one. Kept Sif trapped so we could go through Jane to get to her and he could reintroduce that love triangle. The only place he dropped the ball was with Blake, he got people thinking Blake and Thor were different people which is weird.

Roger Langridge's 5x Harvey Award nominated Thor: The Mighty Avenger followed the plot of the movie. He kept he heart and soul of Thor's canon intact by focusing on Thor/Jane. Gave us a truly mischievious Loki and again introduced the gods slowly.

The movie probably could have done without Sif so the Warrior's Three could have gotten more to do. (It became the Warrior's Four with her really). But it was essentially the same thing. Focus on the heart and soul of the characters, Thor's determination to please his father, his love for his brother and his love for Jane.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes follows the same rules. Thor's relationship with his father, his brother and Jane. The tie in comic even hinted at him being Donald Blake.

Now. If only Marvel would get the memo about keeping things simple.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #312
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Smile Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Cap is pulling ahead of Thor. Getting 2 Mill more on its first Monday than Thor did.
Weekdays in May are different from weekdays in July, for one thing there were still classes back when Thor was showing. That said, I will be curious if Cap overtake Thor's domestic total during its entire run.

Anyway, Thor is closer and closer to the $450M mark.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #313
blinkinrogue
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 53
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

CA may outgross thor domestically but it has to have better legs than thor to do that, im surprised Thor keeps going and going despite showing for about 3 months ww though, i still think thor will be the 2011 cbm champion

blinkinrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #314
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinrogue View Post
CA may outgross thor domestically but it has to have better legs than thor to do that, im surprised Thor keeps going and going despite showing for about 3 months ww though, i still think thor will be the 2011 cbm champion
I'm also (and happy) with its legs!

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #315
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinrogue View Post
CA may outgross thor domestically but it has to have better legs than thor to do that, im surprised Thor keeps going and going despite showing for about 3 months ww though, i still think thor will be the 2011 cbm champion
Cap's 5 day haul has a $4M advantage over Thor's first 5 days. I think Cap is on pace to definitely out-gross Thor's domestic run.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #316
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
I'm also (and happy) with its legs!

I think Thor got an extra boost this week because of the Avengers teaser trailer at the end of the Cap movie. The movie was practically on life-support a few weeks ago. NOw, it overtakes Green Lantern and X-Men First Class on a daily basis, even if it was shown months in advance. Great Thor showing, for sure, but let's give credit where it's due...Avengers trailer.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #317
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick
 
CaptainCraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 540
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

I wouldn't be surprised if people went back and saw it again, not new viewers but repeat just to connect the dots clearer. Between the teseract/cube itself, Yddrasil Tree of the World(I know I misspelled that something fierce), mention of Odin's throne room. And yes that Avengers tease couldn't have hurt at all.

A coworker of mine took his kids to see it at the $1.50 theater cause they hadn't seen it and he wanted to see it again.

I know the DVD is due soon but could this remain in theaters post release and keep eeking out some money. Not that another $100K or $1m mark is going to matter at this point. The sequel is on the slate and all.

__________________
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings - Optimus Prime
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
CaptainCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #318
KittyDuran
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if people went back and saw it again, not new viewers but repeat just to connect the dots clearer. Between the teseract/cube itself, Yddrasil Tree of the World(I know I misspelled that something fierce), mention of Odin's throne room. And yes that Avengers tease couldn't have hurt at all.

A coworker of mine took his kids to see it at the $1.50 theater cause they hadn't seen it and he wanted to see it again.

I know the DVD is due soon but could this remain in theaters post release and keep eeking out some money. Not that another $100K or $1m mark is going to matter at this point. The sequel is on the slate and all.
You can count me in that group (20 times-but only stayed past the credits for about 5 times). Saw it again at another cheap theater last night for $3. Pretty good crowd with a good age range ~ 20 people. I can see it being showed for maybe another week-then waiting for the DVD.

KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #319
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Just ordered the DVD/Blue-Ray.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #320
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,583
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

What ticks me off the most is Thor does better than GL: and has CRUD for books, and t shirts IN STORES.

I even said that to the idiots at Barnes and Noble. I told them Thor CRUSHED GL and yet there isn't even a child's movie book in here.

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #321
Gamma Burst
Banned User
 
Gamma Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Avenger's Mansion
Posts: 8,629
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
What ticks me off the most is Thor does better than GL: and has CRUD for books, and t shirts IN STORES.

I even said that to the idiots at Barnes and Noble. I told them Thor CRUSHED GL and yet there isn't even a child's movie book in here.
It's their loss.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #322
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,583
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

More like mine! I mean why should I have to ORDER the books when Marvel's been doing better than WB/DC for the most part?

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #323
KittyDuran
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
What ticks me off the most is Thor does better than GL: and has CRUD for books, and t shirts IN STORES.

I even said that to the idiots at Barnes and Noble. I told them Thor CRUSHED GL and yet there isn't even a child's movie book in here.
And they (B&N) still have the GL stuff displayed in my area...

KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #324
Weadazoid
Side-Kick
 
Weadazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Illadel
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
No one can blame you really. Thor is a great character but his canon is a mess. Its so convoluted. The best Thor stories (except the Simonson stuff) are able to strip all that back into the bare essentials.

Look at JMS, got rid of all the gods and introduced them one by one. Kept Sif trapped so we could go through Jane to get to her and he could reintroduce that love triangle. The only place he dropped the ball was with Blake, he got people thinking Blake and Thor were different people which is weird.

Roger Langridge's 5x Harvey Award nominated Thor: The Mighty Avenger followed the plot of the movie. He kept he heart and soul of Thor's canon intact by focusing on Thor/Jane. Gave us a truly mischievious Loki and again introduced the gods slowly.

The movie probably could have done without Sif so the Warrior's Three could have gotten more to do. (It became the Warrior's Four with her really). But it was essentially the same thing. Focus on the heart and soul of the characters, Thor's determination to please his father, his love for his brother and his love for Jane.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes follows the same rules. Thor's relationship with his father, his brother and Jane. The tie in comic even hinted at him being Donald Blake.

Now. If only Marvel would get the memo about keeping things simple.



His Cannon is all over the place but you have to love the run that takes place from 340 to 400 in the original late 80's books. Lots of great stuff on Earth, followed by a pretty well done increadible build up to a war of the gods with Thor throwing down against Set, Egyptian god of death

__________________
100 chimps working in unison to create the next great American Novel... It was the best of times it..... it was the blurst of times??? You have to love Mr. Burns.
Weadazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #325
Thor_Odinson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In a thunder storm
Posts: 119
Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
And they (B&N) still have the GL stuff displayed in my area...
My local B & N still has it's GL display. None of the books are moving though. The Thor one they had was replaced by Pirates 4 and now Cap.

Thor_Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.