The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #76
Anubis
Sup?

Default Re: Green Arrow

They failed miserably I take it.

Cuz that concept is 10 kinds of awesome in and of itself.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #77
TwilightPro101

#3 was ok. Overall, first arc: wasn't impressed.

Looking forward to the change over in writers. Hope things improve beyond the first arc.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #78
chris moore
Side-Kick

This whole arc kind of went nowhere and did nothing, which is a huge shame for the fifth (or sixth?) revamp of Ollie and GA. I still have no idea how he fits in with the overall DCNu, or if this series at the moment is supposed to be set during the same time as the beginnings of the JLA five years ago. Doesn't feel like Krul set anything up really, so I really hope the final creative team does something substantial.
As much as the four Robins in five or so years is yet to be explained, I don't see where Arsenal fits in in Ollie's history if he's running around in Outlaws with Starfire and Jason. Was he only GA's partner for a year? If so, when was this then? Still to come? Several years ago?

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #79
TwilightPro101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
As much as the four Robins in five or so years is yet to be explained, I don't see where Arsenal fits in in Ollie's history if he's running around in Outlaws with Starfire and Jason. Was he only GA's partner for a year? If so, when was this then? Still to come? Several years ago?
Wondering the exact same thing.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #80
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Krul is leaving Green Arrow because DC offered him something that hasn't been announced yet. He had to choose between dropping Green Arrow or Captain Atom and he decided to drop Green Arrow because he's an even bigger Captain Atom fanboy and he's been writing Green Arrow for a little while now.

He made the right call cause his GA is beyond mediocre and at least his CA has been a decent read. I may add this book to the pull list once Nocenti jumps on but only if Men of War is canned after Ivan Brandon leaves & I need something to replace it with. I like Ollie but everything since he's been brought back from the dead has just been wick wick wack to me.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #81
DarKush
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
This whole arc kind of went nowhere and did nothing, which is a huge shame for the fifth (or sixth?) revamp of Ollie and GA. I still have no idea how he fits in with the overall DCNu, or if this series at the moment is supposed to be set during the same time as the beginnings of the JLA five years ago. Doesn't feel like Krul set anything up really, so I really hope the final creative team does something substantial.
Well, his Q-Pad has gotten mentions in several books so at least Ollie's technology has an impact on the rest of the DCU.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #82
chris moore
Side-Kick

Which Q-pad are they talking about though? Could be the Q-pad 4 and the one in GA is the Q-pad 1 for all we know, cos it looks very much like there's a 24ish year old Ollie running around with a couple of teenagers back in the Q-cave, yet a 24ish year old Roy running around with Starfire and Jason. Least with Bats there's a definite maturity to Bruce compared to any of the Robins (current and former).

Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #83
Drz
Real Hero

I'll be checking out Green Arrow with #7, Ann Nocenti returns to the world of comics! GOD MY OH:

Quote:

GREEN ARROW #7
Written by ANN NOCENTI
Art by HARVEY TOLIBAO
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
On sale MARCH 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Green Arrow’s gone looking for trouble, and he’s found it – in triplicate! Three women who give new meaning to the term “drop dead gorgeous” have our hero outnumbered and outgunned! Collectively, they’re called “Skylark,” and they’ve been sent on a secret mission with Oliver Queen as its focus! Who’s directing them, what is their shadowy goal and will Ollie let his guard down and be gulled by these beautiful and deadly adversaries? Join new creative team Anne Nocenti and Harvey Tolibao as they chart the next chapter in the life of Oliver Queen!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #84
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Why does it look like he has a hood if he never uses it?

I was a HUGE fan of GA's 2000 run (after he comes back to life). and have been pretty disapointed with the new 52 GA so far. I'm sticking with it purely for the love of Ollie, but if things don't improve soon I'll be forced to spend my money elsewhere...

"The Safe-Word Is Pumpkin"

The Spider With a Power Ring
HELL N' SPIDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #85
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Hey. I just got GA: Year One. Haven't had time to read it yet, but was wondering what you guys thought of it?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #86
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Green Arrow Year One is one of the better mini series GA stories. It's basically his modern origin. I read it online and thought it was a neat way to handle the character.

If you want to collect GA in trade format, pick up everything by Kevin Smith and Judd Winik.

Also, Hell N' Spiders, since you are such a GL fan and you like Ollie, try getting your hands on Denny's GL/GA series from the 70's.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-.../dp/1401202241

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...ref=pd_sim_b_3

Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 03-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #87
Drz
Real Hero

Green Arrow #7 preview!

Quote:
The best way to get comics icon Ann Nocenti back writing a monthly book after more than 15 years: Tell her you're shedding 70 years of life history off the character you want her to write.

Nocenti gets that clean slate in scripting her adventures of the archer hero of DC Comics' Green Arrow, beginning with issue 7 available in comics shop and digitally on Wednesday.
"It was like, 'Hey old man Arrow, you fought a good war, now go take a break. Shed your aches and memories and go back and be a college-age kid again.' It was a kind of karmic wipeout: Arrow was getting a chance to start over," says Nocenti, who has teamed with new Green Arrow artist Harvey Tolibao.
MORE: Check out an exclusive preview of Green Arrow issue 7
"When I was in college, I was impetuous and reckless and emotionally hungry. So that's what I wanted Oliver Queen to be. Plus he's got a few billion dollars to play with."
In her first issue, Nocenti gives Green Arrow a trio of sisters to tussle with, collectively called Skylark, but also showcases a certain lightness in banter and demeanor that's a bit James Bond and a smidge Robin Hood.
He's no Bond, she says, but young billionaire Oliver Queen — who runs the tech company Queen Industries when he's not gallivanting around in Green Arrow garb — is similar in that he's full of bravado, even if lacking in experience.
"He's a reckless adventurer with a taste for danger. He's at his best in chaos. He tends to fall asleep when things are normal and comforting," Nocenti says.
"In my first issue, he's trapped in a stressful position at work, and he just isn't the type to sit still for that. So he jettisons Oliver Queen, takes his jet and bolts. He shoots off like an arrow! Who knows if he'll hit his target, but the kid trusts his inner compass."
Of course, the green outfit and arrows aplenty is Robin Hood's shtick, as well, Nocenti points out, and in the 1970s Denny O'Neil wrote the character as a "social-justice avenger," where he lost his billions, hit the streets and fought for "the people."
The new Green Arrow will get around to all that in time, Nocenti says. "The first protest I went to, I was just going for the party. You don't get your real social-justice bones till you're a bit more experienced than the young Oliver Queen is now."
However, the writer is making sure 70 years of past continuity is still very much a part of Green Arrow, even if the beard of old is just a chic five o'clock shadow.
"Where does he get his confidence at such a young age? It's part chutzpah, but it also gets back to the notion that even though he's a kid, he's got that vestigial DNA of the previous Arrow," Nocenti says.
"I wanted the new Green Arrow to somehow sense his long brutal past. It's like someone who has past lives they can't remember but feels occasional flashes of."
She's also playing with modern themes in her run, including public perception of corporations, which are not exactly beloved right now. While she admits she hasn't figured out what Oliver Queen will do with his billions, there's no doubt Queen Industries is the 1%.
"Is it possible to run a big industrial corporation in a benevolent fashion? We see these days that even the hippest companies hide some rotten practices to make their profit margins work," Nocenti says.
She's also tackling celebrity culture a bit with Skylark, who are big-time fangirls of Green Arrow. The hero runs afoul of them as well as their dad, who sics a bunch of mutated animals on him in issue 8.
"The key to the Skylark triplets is in something their father says," Nocenti says. "He tells Arrow to think of them not as individuals, but as a triplicity. Arrow jokes, 'Is that bigger than a duplicity?'
"These girls, by nature and nurture, are not just two-faced, they're three-faced. And they may be fans of Green Arrow, but fans do have moments when they just want to tear their hero down."
Putting an early emphasis on villains is nothing new in Nocenti's comic career, which began in the 1980s at Marvel Comics. She had a memorable four-year run as the lead writer on Daredevil beginning in 1987, focusing on the blind hero vs. the Kingpin and notably introducing fan-favorite enemy Typhoid Mary "before tackling stories that I felt really illuminated the character," Nocenti says.
"It's just like meeting a new person: You've got to hang with them, watch them a while, before you really get who they are. The things that churned inside Daredevil were deeply religious, somewhat guilt-driven, traces of the messianic, with his powers being a compensation for and driven by the vulnerability of being blind. Green Arrow is not driven by dark forces."
Nocenti admits she's still getting to know Green Arrow. She pored over his Wikipedia entry but didn't read past issues because this was to be a brand-new version of the character who arrived via DC's "The New 52" relaunch in the fall. So she focused on the mythos, his faux-Robin Hood getup and his weaponry. (TV viewers may also get to know Green Arrow better pretty soon: The CW recently ordered a series pilot for the show Arrow starring the superhero.)
"I mean, why does someone bring an arrow to a gunfight? I had to figure out why he used archaic weaponry," Nocenti says. "Even with a trick arrow, you still have to draw the arrow, pull the bow and shoot — three actions where most weapons have only one trigger to pull. There had to be a moral reason for handicapping yourself."
Before she jumped back into comics, Nocenti spent a lot of time traveling the world teaching film and being a journalist. She's sprinkling in some of that global sensibility into upcoming issues.
The writer was inspired by the reindeer herders of the arctic, especially their life and deep reverence for their animals, and Green Arrow confronts that culture in issue 8 when he flies off to the frozen tundra of the Yukon and meets the villainous Leer.
She also just returned from China, where Queen is heading for a complex tech deal that will echo Sino-American relations and current copyright and patent law. "That sounds boring," Nocenti says, "but when you toss in the criminal underworld and a few Chinese super-villains, it won't be."
So far, though, Nocenti has most enjoyed showing this new incarnation of Green Arrow a good time
"I've never written a character that wasn't burdened by years of pain and trauma," she says. "Let's face it: Most comic-book heroes have some serious baggage. Not Green Arrow. He's a healthy guy — imagine that?
"Carrying your hero around in your head, imagining the world through his eyes, is just a hoot."

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #88
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Nocenti's Daredevil was good. I'll check this out!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #89
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
Green Arrow Year One is one of the better mini series GA stories. It's basically his modern origin. I read it online and thought it was a neat way to handle the character.

If you want to collect GA in trade format, pick up everything by Kevin Smith and Judd Winik.

Also, Hell N' Spiders, since you are such a GL fan and you like Ollie, try getting your hands on Denny's GL/GA series from the 70's.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-.../dp/1401202241

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...ref=pd_sim_b_3

I've been eyeing it. The complete collection is also for sale in a hardcover, but I'm working my way through other stories right now. I'll wait and see.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #90
chris moore
Side-Kick

I'm sorry - but what, in the hell, was that?!
I mean, the character is taking a big enough butchering in the Nu52 as it is (yet I keep coming back month after month in the hope that the next writer - what're we on, the third now? - will correct the incalculable mistakes thrust upon our favourite archer in a misguided effort to modernise and Smallville-ise him). But Nocenti really does seem to just be making up whatever personality for Ollie she wants. There is absolutely nothing in him (in all three "hims" we've seen since the relaunch) that suggests he learned anything about himself, about wealth, about the haves and have nots, during his time on the island (if any of his origin even remains). He has no goal, no viewpoint, no anything

Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #91
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Giffen and Jurgens were always meant to be a temporary team to continue on Krul's take until Nocenti got on board.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #92
chris moore
Side-Kick

Wasn't it Krul who introduced Naomi and Jax, the new (and lamest ever) team arrow? Either way, Nocenti seems to have started nothing to give me any faith in GA finally being done right.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #93
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

There is nothing that says Ollie is even a hero in that issue...he doesn't save anyone or do anything heroic...he ditches his city and leaves it without a protector...ugh.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #94
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL N' SPIDERS View Post
There is nothing that says Ollie is even a hero in that issue...he doesn't save anyone or do anything heroic...he ditches his city and leaves it without a protector...ugh.
it gives the impression that writers today are just lazy, because rather than find a legit way of attempting to show a conflicted hero, they just make Ollie this careless and halfway irresponsible person.

Sadly, there is a lot of lazy writing in comic books today!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #95
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

I guess we are to assume that this is deemed the best way to attract new readers.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #96
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Oh also I hated the art from the last issue. It was really sloppy looking. Ollie looked like a monkey in some panels.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #97
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar Colossus View Post
I guess we are to assume that this is deemed the best way to attract new readers.
I don't know. It is sad that publishers constantly feel the need to revisit origins or revamp their characters to attract new readers. They went decades without a single revamp and then with the 1986 Crisis, the world changed and since then origins and rebirths have happened left and right. While I admire DC's attempts at a revamp that pays great homage to their characters personal histories, it is already evident that this "New 52" thing is a flash in the pan.

As we saw with Mark Waid's Superman revamp and then the ill fated Superman Secret Origin by Geoff Johns, DC (and Marvel as well at this point) has a filthy habit of retconing stories or continuities in their infancy.

If this "New 52" stuff is not a flash in the pan or retconned in 2 years, I will be surprised.

If this gets new readers into comics, more power to them, but it is having the potential to turn veteran readers like myself off and not want to read mainstream comics anymore.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #98
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Exactly.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #99
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Big universal shake-ups, events and new number ones have been selling comics for 20 years now. It's a sad fact, but the truth is comic fans eat game-changing events up like chocolate flavored crack.

Just look at the top ten highest selling comics of the past 10 years:

Justice League of America #1
Action Comics #1
Batman #1
Secret Invasion #1
Infinite Crisis #1
All Star Batman #1
Captain America #25 (The Death of Captain America)
Civil War #2
Justice League #1
Amazing Spider-Man #583

Outside if the Barack issue of Spider-Man, every single one of those comics were either a #1 and/or an event. Now did they bring in new readers? Who knows. But they sure as hell sold more than Detective Comics #790 or Amazing Spider-Man #436. And that's really all publishers -as (hopefully) intelligent business owners - care about.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #100
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Yes...you state the case logically. Your point is irrefutable. $$$$ is the bottom line. Not unlike other areas of entertainment, as long as the initial response is to buy into something that seems big with hard earned money; quality tends to suffer. The best stories are often overlooked.At times I have doubts about the future of the comic book industry as it is.